Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Even worse, TF was already mixed in 5.1 by Alan Moulder about 6-7 years ago.
    We know he was working on it, not that it was completed to satisfaction. Perhaps it wasn't.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    You know, the sad thing is, after all this shit, I would totally crowd fund 5.1 mixes.
    Don't give him any ideas. Trent knows he can put out a great instrumental album on vinyl without an art book and only ten people (myself included) will vocally lose their shit. Nothing can stop him now.

(I am one of the few nerds without a game system that would have surround sound built-in, so I don't know what the market is really like for surround systems. I did consider buying a surround system just to hear TDS, but ... I did not. How popular are surround mixes, especially in the smartphone era? I wish he didn't deliberate so much on these things when everything has been changing so rapidly, visibly, for about 20 years.)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Don't give him any ideas. Trent knows he can put out a great instrumental album on vinyl without an art book and only ten people (myself included) will vocally lose their shit. Nothing can stop him now.

(I am one of the few nerds without a game system that would have surround sound built-in, so I don't know what the market is really like for surround systems. I did consider buying a surround system just to hear TDS, but ... I did not. How popular are surround mixes, especially in the smartphone era? I wish he didn't deliberate so much on these things when everything has been changing so rapidly, visibly, for about 20 years.)
    i've never heard of a game system with surround sound built-in...do you just mean a console that's also a blu-ray/dvd player capable of spitting out surround? because you still need a surround receiver and 5-7 speakers (plus a subwoofer) to have proper surround sound.

sorry if i'm being pedantic, i do a/v for a living.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i've never heard of a game system with surround sound built-in...do you just mean a console that's also a blu-ray/dvd player capable of spitting out surround? because you still need a surround receiver and 5-7 speakers (plus a subwoofer) to have proper surround sound.

sorry if i'm being pedantic, i do a/v for a living.
    Yes – sorry. My uncle has a receiver and the speakers, sitting unused in his basement, but he's pretty possessive, sooo ... yeah. Never asked. And I am usually pretty pedantic about these things too, I'm not sure why I've switched to being totally inarticulate

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    We know he was working on it, not that it was completed to satisfaction. Perhaps it wasn't.
    Maybe they should bring in Steven Wilson, since he apparently loves the album and does a lot of 5.1 mixes? Maybe they need someone with a different perspective on it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The 5.1 mixes are done and sound amazing. Alan was the only person who could have possibly done it, and he did not disappoint. There are a couple other elements involved that we want to get right before we put this into production. These involve packaging and additional content. Patience, my friends.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...v/slug/c70tdao

... but he changes his mind all the time.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...v/slug/c70tdao

... but he changes his mind all the time.
    Yes, "the mixes are done [...but...]" indicates to me that they never mastered and put it to bed — perhaps getting side-tracked by putting the alternate stuff together that ended up in Deviations 1.

But it also could just have been shelved for undisclosed reasons.
    Last edited by botley; 08-15-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Yes, 'the mixes are done BUT...' indicates to me that they never mastered and put it to bed — perhaps getting side-tracked by putting the alternate stuff together that ended up in Deviations 1.

I'd love a real full deluxe reissue but – Nine Inch Nails releases used to have a 3-5 year gap between them – when Trent was young, before the drugs and drinking were an issue, before he was married, before he had kids, before he was working on three soundtracks at a time, back when he was "just" touring and sometimes producing other people. He always said he'd probably retire NIN and just make soundtracks. I'm pleasantly surprised he's still doing both, and some of it is really great. The past didn't seem like a huge priority for a long time, and I was really happy to see the reissue campaign (I liked vinyl for the artwork and for breaking my computer addiction even as a 90s kid when it made me a very strange music nerd, so ... I am weird.)

He's still making a ton of new work — I'm personally disappointed by the fact that one of my two favorite NIN albums (and probably his best *cough*) never got a proper deluxe package by him, but it's understandable, I guess? Time goes by faster as you get older. At this late date, I'd love a full package with everything including multitracks (!), but I'm glad we have the instrumentals and a vinyl reissue that doesn't cost $300.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Yes, "the mixes are done [...but...]" indicates to me that they never mastered and put it to bed — perhaps getting side-tracked by putting the alternate stuff together that ended up in Deviations 1.

There are a couple other elements involved that we want to get right before we put this into production. These involve packaging and additional content.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post

There's going to be a $300 Ghosts-type package before this is all over, with a copy of David Carson's Fotografiks, with room for the Deviations vinyl but no actual vinyl because that'd be false marketing. Blu-Ray DVD, multitracks. Lossless versions of all the NIN.com remixes. Bart at Kamp Krusty style dreams over here.

$6000 version gets you a DAT tape from the sessions, a chunk of the door from Nothing Studios, a Chris Vrenna remake of The Fragile, all of the "rock" songs with the "rock" elements removed by Keith Hildebrandt, and a significant fragment of the "lost" tapes for Antichrist Superstar just for lols. Random winners will receive a lock of Charlie Clouser's hair.

W e s u f f e r
    b e c a u s e
    o f t h i s s i c k n e s s
    o f o u r s.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 08-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fuck, you're hilarious Tony. Never change.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajoobatron View Post
    Fuck, you're hilarious Tony. Never change.
    Tell that to my wife.
    And my work.
    And my friends.
    And echoing the sound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tell that to my wife.
    And my work.
    And my friends.
    And echoing the sound.

You're still here, you're still married, your friends are still labeled as friends, so aside from your workplace, as far as I know we like you just the way you are.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Spare a tear for the Littlest Edgelord

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajoobatron View Post
    You're still here, you're still married, your friends are still labeled as friends, so aside from your workplace, as far as I know we like you just the way you are.
    Or we're all masochists

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    So there I was, innocently listening to Deviations earlier today, and the instant I got to +Appendage I was irresistably drawn to turn it off and put on your vocal edit like three times in a row.

I shake my fist at you!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    In case you didn't know, Deviations 1 is back up for sale on the US store.

Quantity is listed as 352.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Fragile is my favorite album ever.

Should I buy?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Fragile is my favorite album ever.

Should I buy?
    It really depends on what you're looking for in the final product. If you're only interested in listening to it on vinyl and are not interested in packaging at all then yes. If you want a nice display piece to look at while you're listening to the record while LOOKING AT THE ARTWORK (WITH YOUR FUCKING PHONE TURNED OFF) then this probably isn't the release for you.

TL;DR

Do you only care about the wax and packaging is a non issue for you? BUY IT
    Do you care about quality packaging, art and an intriguing visual experience with your records? DON'T BUY IT.

It's 4 records in a pretty flimsy cardboard gatefold with no art booklet, no extra art and a download card for $80. If you feel its worth that price then order it.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 08-23-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Do you only care about the wax and packaging is a non issue for you? BUY IT
    Do you care about quality packaging, art and an intriguing visual experience with your records? DON'T BUY IT.

It's 4 records in a pretty flimsy cardboard gatefold with no art booklet, no extra art and a download card for $80. If you feel its worth that price then order it.
    I couldn't agree more. The music is great, and it is really nice to have on vinyl to listen to with the whole (admittedly silly) vinyl/ritual listening experience.

The packaging is a serious letdown for such a high price tag. No essay. Not even a booklet. Just four vinyl shoved in two slits on either side of a thin vinyl bifold. Like a huge letdown. SUCH A 'YUGE LETDOWN. SAD. #MakeDeviationsGreatAgain

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    #MakeDeviationsGreatPERIOD
    I finally found a buyer for my copy so my anger has subsided a lot. I'm still disappointed because I had been fantasizing about some sort of deluxe edition of this record for over 15 years now and we ended up getting thrown this shit show but at least my skin in the game is gone and I can move on from this disaster.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I found this quote from Trent about the Deviations packaging.

"If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."
    Oh, wait. That was twelve years ago, and about With Teeth. Oddly enough, an earlier sentence in that same quote:

"It feels like we should just by-pass packaging all together."
    I think a lot of collectors were expecting these "definitive editions" to make the original pressing prices drop significantly. I did. I don't think that's the case now. Seems some of the old releases from as long ago as '92, specifically the packaging, are holding up better than these brand new releases. There are some nice things about these new releases (180g, etched messages on Broken), but I think with how poorly the "attention to detail" was handled with these "definitive editions" they're hardly definitive. These releases will make the albums more readily available to people, but I think the original pressings and such are probably going to hold their value like first printings of books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't agree more. The music is great, and it is really nice to have on vinyl to listen to with the whole (admittedly silly) vinyl/ritual listening experience.

The packaging is a serious letdown for such a high price tag. No essay. Not even a booklet. Just four vinyl shoved in two slits on either side of a thin vinyl bifold. Like a huge letdown. SUCH A 'YUGE LETDOWN. SAD. #MakeDeviationsGreatAgain
    I can't help but wonder if the "extra" ~$40 cost of the Deviations 4xLP package is for something still to come, like the sleeve we received is bare bones simply to serve as a placeholder and people who ordered it will later receive a more "Deluxe/$80-price-tag-worthy" cover/box/package that maybe houses Deviations1, The Fragile, etc. (TF Deviations 2?!?), so in essence giving us a super deluxe The Fragile package broken up into a few purchases. ?

Crazy dreaming, I know.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnilimbO View Post
    I can't help but wonder if the "extra" ~$40 cost of the Deviations 4xLP package is for something still to come, like the sleeve we received is bare bones simply to serve as a placeholder and people who ordered it will later receive a more "Deluxe/$80-price-tag-worthy" cover/box/package that maybe houses Deviations1, The Fragile, etc. (TF Deviations 2?!?), so in essence giving us a super deluxe The Fragile package broken up into a few purchases. ?

Crazy dreaming, I know.
    That's some sandbag levels of fucking with your fanbase that's for sure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is back up for sale in the NIN store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Juste received my QOTSA Villains Deluxe Vinyl and I was thinking, this is exactly what Deviations 1 was supposed to be.
    Great (and very big !) package, full of cool art prints. And only £27, not 80.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    These flac files are worth the price of admission alone. The vinyl is just the icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    Juste received my QOTSA Villains Deluxe Vinyl and I was thinking, this is exactly what Deviations 1 was supposed to be.
    Great (and very big !) package, full of cool art prints. And only £27, not 80.
    What sucks is there's really no way to make this zero effort package "right". What do you do, create a slipcase with a booklet for the gatefold to slide into? What about the folks who sold it? Would that effectively put this release into the red to have to pay for the extra components to be manufactured after the fact? That still doesn't fix the flimsy gatefold issue either. This is just going to be a small bruise in the discography in a year or so, in the long run it won't matter I suppose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    maybe he could wait a few years and release a version of Deviations with vocals? include the pdf artwork with lyrics in a booklet, perhaps some of which would be demo/scratch/alternate takes not used on the album (like TDTWWA single version or the unused 10 miles high lyrics) and have whatever vocals were recorded for the outtakes? after all, why let us know some version of those songs exist with vocals with no intention of ever letting the world them?

I know I'd pay $$ for such a thing. but I still hold out hope for a deluxe fragile boxset, with everything from that era.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

an "The Fragile" like this would've kept me happy!
    and a true limited edition too!

Master of Puppets’ limited edition deluxe box set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 08-29-2017 at 10:01 PM.