Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    It makes no sense to have a few vocal tracks amongst an instrumental album. I do not think any of these tracks will have vocals. If they do, he should have just added them to the normal album as an expanded edition. Not sprinkle unheard vocal tracks amongst a buncb of instrumental reworkings. Seems odd. Perhaps vocal versions of these songs will surface later.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, although I like albums that are mostly instrumental with few vocal compositions (Mogwai for example - Rock Action being one of my favorites). However, in any case it makes no sense to label them in this way and it still would be very misleading. If they are all instrumental why bother labeling any of them as "instrumental?" It is not consistent in any way or I am just completely not understanding how it is done...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I do not think any of these tracks will have vocals.
    Underneath It All will, at least if it's the same version that was posted on Apple Music.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    If they are all instrumental why bother labeling any of them as "instrumental?"
    Because they have scratch (or maybe even finished) vocals, and they were removed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Underneath It All will, at least if it's the same version that was posted on Apple Music.
    Was it full on vocals or more of the background/effect vocals on that one? Sometimes an instrumental will still have bits of processed vocals. I know Underneath It All had weird glitchy vocals on it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Was it full on vocals or more of the background/effect vocals on that one? Sometimes an instrumental will still have bits of processed vocals. I know Underneath It All had weird glitchy vocals on it.
    It's instrumental except for the ending, which retains the glitchy "All I do, I can still feel you".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's instrumental except for the ending, which retains the glitchy "All I do, I can still feel you".
    Well I can see why they were kept because they were more processed/musical. If he cut those vocals, the song would end strangley if he took them out. The song would just end at 2:26. If there are any vocals on this collection, I imagine it would be more like vocal effects or elements of vocals used musically with added effects.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    A large amount of the fragile was instrumentals in the first place... but everything I'm reading leads me to believe this will be all instrumental.

I'd generally agree that this release suggests a deluxe fragile in the future is ruled out; except for the numbering on Deviations. But as sheepdean (I think) said, that might imply deviations 2 = tds or whatever. I think the number has as much significance as "Ghosts I-IV".
    Last edited by jmtd; 12-21-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    A large amount of the fragile was instrumentals in the first place... but everything I'm reading leads me to believe this will be all instrumental.

I'd generally agree that this release suggests a deluxe fragile in the future is ruled out; except for the numbering on Deviations. But as sheepdean (I think) said, that might imply deviations 2 = tds or whatever. I think the number has as much significance as "Ghosts I-IV".
    I think The Fragile: Deviations 1 means we will get The Fragile: Deviations 2. If we get something like this for other albums, it would be The Downward Spiral: Deviations and only a number if there is gonna be a second one for TDS. Kinda like when they use (Version) as a remix name. Some tells me Trent has more Fragile material coming since we were gonna get a boxset originally, hence needing to distinguish it as Deviations 1. The Downward Spiral: Deviations 2 would just be confusing to folks. Plus going out of album order makes no sense. It should be Pretty Hate Machine: Deviations 1 not The Fragile going by the whole number logic.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-21-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Fragile: Deviations 2 will probably just have the vocals put back in hah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I mentioned this previously, but if the new tracks that are not specifically labeled as "(instrumental)" do not have vocals I would be pretty disappointed. I am under the assumption that they have vocals due to the fact that two of the unreleased tracks (Not What It Seems Like and Was It Worth It?) specifically indicate them as instrumental, but not the other 7. I don't really care about the price tag since I would have paid that for those tracks alone even as instrumental, I just think it is really misleading to label things that way since it is know that material from those sessions is in high demand. It wouldn't have been too difficult to give a little more information and not leave it so open ended in the description. Anyway, I'm really hoping this is a chance to finally hear some of the "Lost Fragile Tracks!"

Also, at this point I hope they have just abandoned the idea of a "deluxe" edition of the album and instead release any more additional stuff in this manner. It would irritating to spend 125 dollars on these editions only to have this same material released in another format in a couple years. At the same time it would also be irritating to release it without these tracks, it's a lose lose I guess.

As i was reading your post, a thought just popped into my head. What if, for now, these are being released as instrumental, and then "The Fragile: Deviations 2" will contain the outtakes with vocals included? Another possibility since it is specifically labeled as "Deviations 1."

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I think The Fragile: Deviations 1 means we will get The Fragile: Deviations 2.
    You beat me too it. Just woke up and commented but didn't see this. oops.

Sidenote - everyone beat me too it, now that i read a little bit further up again. oops x2!
    Last edited by IndyJ; 12-21-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Deviations 2 could have some of these extra tracks as vocal versions along with demos and alternate mixes of the album tracks plus even more vocal tracks leftover that just doesn't fit within the flow of the album and instrumental album. Deviations 2 will be more like a collection of tracks rather than a cohesive piece he's trying to do with this instrumental version.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I sincerely hope the physical component is worthwhile. I think for some people it will be: like a cassette tape. It would be fun to bust out a tape player, or BUY a second-hand one JUST to play the new NIN *sarcasm on the buying a cassette player*.
    I actually just bought my first cassette in like 20-something years this passed summer. I found The Downward Spiral on cassette at a flea market for a couple bucks. I couldn't pass that up. I've probably been on the look out for NIN cassettes in the wild at every second hand shop I go to for the last 15 years. Was starting to think they were as rare as the abominable snowman.

Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    I'm curious if these 9 tracks are originally SONGS - or - clearly instrumentals?...

And if they're songs - when they'll see the light of teh internets?..
    We can always make our own lyrics if they don't have any...
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-21-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I actually just bought my first cassette in like 20-something years this passed summer. I found The Downward Spiral on cassette at a flea market for a couple bucks. I couldn't pass that up. I've probably been on the look out for NIN cassettes in the wild at every second hand shop I go to for the last 15 years. Was starting to think they were as rare as the abominable snowman.
    Cassettes are actually making a bit of a comeback, especially in the experimental electronic music scene. I watched this video discussing different types of tapes and the players needed for them to sound the best. I was amazed how awesome metal tapes sound with the right noise setting. Sadly, metal tapes aren't as easy to find and a little bit more money. The problem with cassette tapes were the labels using cheaper materials and crappy affordable systems people bought to play them on. So it was like a double whammy of crappiness. But with the right tape material and the right system with the correct noise reduction settings, cassettes can sound amazing.

This video is a great way to learn/hear the differences...
    Last edited by neorev; 12-21-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is he going to go back on his statement that The Fragile was a mistake? Because that was really sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Is he going to go back on his statement that The Fragile was a mistake? Because that was really sad.
    He's said that? Regardless, i'm going to go with yes, since it seems anytime he's talked about The Fragile the past two or so years, it's been his favorite album/most important to him. Plus we're getting basically a whole new album's worth of material from those sessions which probably took a hell of a lot of time to compile and remaster; definitely a labor of love.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I wish i still had a record player. for my 14th or 15th birthday, i got like the last stereo in dallas that had a turntable on top instead of a CD player.
    My HS GF's father killed himself, and i got all his records. He was a hardcore collector-2 copies of everything, one to play and one to save, and this was like OG zeppelin, pink floyd, etc.

But my fucked up life happened and i lost everything i owned many times over.

Otherwise i would be all over this vinyl resurgance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    He said in the 2010 TimesTalks interview (and elsewhere probably) that it should have been SPLIT... SPLIT INTO two albums for digestibility's sake. Is that what you meant - one big album was the mistake?
    Last edited by blassster; 12-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I know this is really nit-picky, but I wish the digital files were available at 12:01 EST instead of PST. I am going to be really bummed if I can't get the files before work tomorrow.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I know this is really nit-picky, but I wish the digital files were available at 12:01 EST instead of PST. I am going to be really bummed if I can't get the files before work tomorrow.
    Heh, no doubt. I've been toying with the idea of creating a little bot to check my email automatically and attempting to grab the downloads as soon as they come in, so I can have 'em fresh and ready in the morning. I figure the chances of the first version working properly are pretty slim, but perhaps at least I'd have it workable by Friday's NTAE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJ View Post
    He's said that? Regardless, i'm going to go with yes, since it seems anytime he's talked about The Fragile the past two or so years, it's been his favorite album/most important to him. Plus we're getting basically a whole new album's worth of material from those sessions which probably took a hell of a lot of time to compile and remaster; definitely a labor of love.

Pretty sure he did when withateetha was about to be released... or after. I'm not the best person to ask about exact interviews but I remember him saying/implying that because it hurt since I was so emotionally attached to it at the time. I remember thinking that he was saying it because he considered it a commercial failure, especially after Downward Spiral, so he was probably trying to distance himself from it during the promotion for With Teeth.

I haven't looked at anything NIN for years so I'm glad to hear he's talked positively about it. It's still an incredible album despite his background personal issues and the length. It's really the length in the end that is one of its strengths to me, it was this massive soundscape, the way good fantasy books create large worlds.
    Last edited by Tea; 12-21-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If I remember correctly he made a parallel with Kid A / Amnesiac, wishing The Fragile had followed that template instead.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Guys. Less than 11 hours.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I like to imagine a world where Trent released this track list and was the biggest superstar in the world...

01 Somewhat Damaged
    02 The Day the World Went Away
    03 The Frail
    04 The Wretched
    05 We're in This Together
    06 The Fragile
    07 Into the Void
    08 Even Deeper
    09 Big Comedown
    10 No You Don't
    11 Starfuckers, Inc.
    12 La Mer
    13 The Great Below

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I guess I should be concerned, order (still) does not show up under Order History on the official store. Bank is no help because it is "Pending", but the money ($118) has already been subtracted from my balance.

Is there a phone number for this company? I see an e-mail and a FAQ site.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Nobody is ever worried about DL not arriving in time ? Nobody bought Before the Flood here or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Is there a phone number for this company? I see an e-mail and a FAQ site.

Try by mail, I had to deal with them three times, and within 1 hour the problem was solved.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I like to imagine a world where Trent released this track list and was the biggest superstar in the world...

01 Somewhat Damaged
    02 The Day the World Went Away
    03 The Frail
    04 The Wretched
    05 We're in This Together
    06 The Fragile
    07 Into the Void
    08 Even Deeper
    09 Big Comedown
    10 No You Don't
    11 Starfuckers, Inc.
    12 La Mer
    13 The Great Below
    I'd add The Way Out Is Through and And All That Could Have Been as a closer after The Great Below. I think it would be a fitting end.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I think The Fragile: Deviations 1 means we will get The Fragile: Deviations 2. If we get something like this for other albums, it would be The Downward Spiral: Deviations and only a number if there is gonna be a second one for TDS. Kinda like when they use (Version) as a remix name. Some tells me Trent has more Fragile material coming since we were gonna get a boxset originally, hence needing to distinguish it as Deviations 1. The Downward Spiral: Deviations 2 would just be confusing to folks. Plus going out of album order makes no sense. It should be Pretty Hate Machine: Deviations 1 not The Fragile going by the whole number logic.
    here's another "wish"... Trent makes alternative versions of each album... alternative lyrics/sounds/melodies/progressions for each song and adding songs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Someone needs to ask Trent in an interview to clarify if there will be more Fragile Deviations or Deviation for other albums. But we all know his answer to that question will be "yes."

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So are we to assume that the blurry, digitally pixelated artwork of Deviations 1 is on purpose? It looks like a digital PNG that hasn't fully loaded yet, but in the image the actual vinyl next to the cover is fully in focus. I think this looks much worse than a normal 'out of focus' picture, but idk that's just me. I see that the Deviations cover is just the waterfall image from the first top quarter of the normal Fragile cover. Is that bit of the image also pixelated on the normal Fragile cover?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah it is, it counter balances the bottom part which is a soft blur

I'm still amazed at how clever is that cover art. It defines the album perfectly. Soft analog blur overlapping a hard digital/pixelated image, the latter one being cold rocks and water opposed to the warmth of flowers. The image is as abstract as the TDS one, but somehow it couldn't be more different, it evokes a complete departure in tone.

In that sense yeah, the deviations cover is kind of an easy way out, simply using in full an image we only glimpsed on the original instead of reinterpreting it. But keeping in mind the referent cover, I'm still satisfied that they went with that.

I obsess way too much over good cover art...
    Last edited by Khrz; 12-21-2016 at 05:25 PM.