Page 6 of 123 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I the only one to think that the picture is not the true cover ?
    It seems that this black rectangle hide something that will be revealed on 23rd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pre ordered!
    Hope the physical component is a cd lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a thought...

The cover art is very clearly connected to And All That Could Have Been (and Still, if you want)...

Trent has been spending a lot of time thinking about The Fragile, revisiting it and thinking about that time in his life.

And All That Could Have Been (the title) seems to be a reflection on what could have been, something idealized, had things gone differently...and not the actual events.

The cover art is intentional, obviously.

Could this be in part a reflection on that time, the interpretations of those moments and the beliefs and perceptions held at the time being something other than the truth? A looking back and making sense of things in terms of the actual events and not an idea of what could or should have been?
    Last edited by Sequenteon; 12-16-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After weeks of telling my wife I don't want anything for Xmas I find I've just changed my mind. PHYSICAL MEDIA INCOMING!

Edit: removed Freudian typo
    Last edited by hippygeek; 12-17-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg View Post
    Am I the only one to think that the picture is not the true cover ?
    It seems that this black rectangle hide something that will be revealed on 23rd
    I just hope it's not a pile of dung or whatever (a la Cards Against Humanity). The description makes it sound like a joke.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    who was knocking it, everyone here seems pumped as fuck
    I'm pumped that I just ordered an album using my fingerprint from my iPhone.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-16-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not The Actual Events

I'm new to high-res audio and am pretty sure I can't properly listen to it. Since we are given the option of three formats here (was, FLAC, mp3), I was curious what the best option is. MP3 would be most convenient for me, but I understand it is more compressed and therefore lower fidelity. I could go with WAV or FLAC and convert to mp3.

I understand that FLAC and WAV have similar quality, but FLAC has more efficient compression, so it has a smaller file size.

What I need to know, though, is FLAC easy to work with in an Apple ecosystem, or is WAV better in this case? I don't want to hunt down freeware and codecs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michaelpdelaney; 12-16-2016 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm pumped that I just ordered an album using my fingerprint from my iPhone.
    Haha, meanwhile I was in the woods in 8 degree weather, knee deep in snow, filming some footage, trying desperately to get the site to load on my phone.
    Gotta love technology.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    About that download link you get via email. Is it only supposed to be a picture?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpdelaney View Post
    I'm new to high-res audio and am pretty sure I can't properly listen to it. Since we are given the option of three formats here (was, FLAC, mp3), I was curious what the best option is. MP3 would be most convenient for me, but I understand it is more compressed and therefore lower fidelity. I could go with WAV or FLAC and convert to mp3.

I understand that FLAC and WAV have similar quality, but FLAC has more efficient compression, so it has a smaller file size.

What I need to know, though, is FLAC easy to work with in an Apple ecosystem, or is WAV better in this case? I don't want to hunt down freeware and codecs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're mainly using Apple products to listen to your digital music, I'd go with WAV since Apple has their own lossless format like FLAC called ALAC. Sadly, iTunes is behind with the times and does not play the most popular lossless format FLAC. But with WAV, you can always convert to ALAC (or even MP3 or any format you want) and have the benefit of smaller file size and lossless audio like FLAC. I don't use Apple or iTunes at all, so I am a FLAC guy. I like to always go with WAV and then I can convert to whatever the hell I want.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finally music on how the media and governments are misleading us? (9/11, Iraq,...)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    *waiting for my "Physical component"*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    pre-ordered the physical edition but like some people, had a hell of a time loading the site etc.
    so pumped for this

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    About that download link you get via email. Is it only supposed to be a picture?
    For now, yeah. Presumably they'll send out another email that provides the links to the audio when it comes out. Or that link will have them added automatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why to give a download link to this picture ? why to allow 3 times download ?
    There is probably something to do with this.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal
    are you expecting The Presence to come to your house for you to deal with? :P

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I agree. They've been spending a lot of time in The Fragile era... they remastered The Fragile and made the The Fragile: D1. I find it hard to believe Trent would choose to revisit the art style of AATCHB/Still if the music didn't also reflect something from that same era. If there's no other link to The Fragile other than just the art style it'd be weird at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sequenteon View Post
    I had a thought...

The cover art is very clearly connected to And All That Could Have Been (and Still, if you want)...

Trent has been spending a lot of time thinking about The Fragile, revisiting it and thinking about that time in his life.

And All That Could Have Been (the title) seems to be a reflection on what could have been, something idealized, had things gone differently...and not the actual events.

The cover art is intentional, obviously.

Could this be in part a reflection on that time, the interpretations of those moments and the beliefs and perceptions held at the time being something other than the truth? A looking back and making sense of things in terms of the actual events and not an idea of what could or should have been?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    We are living in a post-truth society. So who cares for the actual events?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I spent the rest of the drive home trying to think of a coy way to say "Hey, I know it's WAY too late, but now I have a Christmas list." Not a task I accomplished.
    But It's only the 17th. Why is it way too late? You got a week til Christmas.

I literally have not purchased a single Christmas gift yet. I probably won't until about 4 days before Christmas.

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Now I'm worried I ordered from the wrong store! Hopefully they just send the order to the UK one to be fulfilled
    I did the same, as it didn't ask you where you were from and then direct you to the UK store.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I finally was able to get nin.com to load and order the Physical Object.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but if you are still having trouble getting NIN.com to load from your computer, try a tablet or phone or something.

I tried getting it to load 20 or 30 times on my computer with no luck, but finally got it to come up on my mom's Fire Tablet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My email confirmation has the download links for NTAE. I'm assuming these aren't live yet?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpdelaney View Post

I'm not an expert, but in my experience xACT Download v2.38 is an excellent program to decode FLAC into WAV or AIFF (or encode if you want to compress your WAVs). Decoding FLAC to AIFF allows for embedded art, tags & such, whereas WAV doesn't have that capability. If you're not anal about such things, then WAV will play in iTunes without any additional fuss and you can manually add all the details.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    My email confirmation has the download links for NTAE. I'm assuming these aren't live yet?
    try them before posting a message you could have easily found the answer to by just clicking on one of the links. sorry for the harshness, but your post warranted it

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Does this have a halo number?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you're an old halo collector like me, the 'physical component' could just as well be a block of styrofoam the size of a cd case with 'halo 29' (edit: 30?) written on the narrow side. :-)
    Last edited by Strohbie; 12-17-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I'm not an expert, but in my experience xACT Download v2.38 is an excellent program to decode FLAC into WAV or AIFF (or encode if you want to compress your WAVs). Decoding FLAC to AIFF allows for embedded art, tags & such, whereas WAV doesn't have that capability. If you're not anal about such things, then WAV will play in iTunes without any additional fuss and you can manually add all the details.
    I prefer Max or XLD. You can transcode directly from FLAC to ALAC, which preserves everything. FLAC, ALAC, and AIFF all support metadata like artwork and tags. WAV does not support metadata.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Similar to broken / fixed Trent should make a remix EP called either "The Actual Events" or "The Faked Events" or something in that vein.

That would be both funny and awesome!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Do you think we'll get some teases of the tracks before it comes out next Friday?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    watch the physical component be a cassette
    ...which will look great next to my PHM, Broken, TDS and Fragile cassettes