Page 65 of 123 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 3664

Thread: Not The Actual Events

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Everybody refers to with teeth as hard hitting and straight to the point songs. I disagree, ATLITW, WT, BYIT, RWIB are none of those. Those songs are ever changing and span a multitude of sounds. I might even throw EDIETS and Home into that group. That's almost half the album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just want to know about the physical component! Do we know anything yet? For 12 dollars I expect a disc of somekind or something

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Everybody refers to with teeth as hard hitting and straight to the point songs. I disagree, ATLITW, WT, BYIT, RWIB are none of those. Those songs are ever changing and span a multitude of sounds. I might even throw EDIETS and Home into that group. That's almost half the album.

Trent himself described it as that at the time and I use that phrasing because, compared to an album with The Frail and Ripe (With Decay) and The Way Out is Through and Pilgrimage and Complication and The New Flesh and all of these weird and diverging songs, With Teeth is definitely way, way more straightforward. Bare minimum it takes far less effort to get into and understand and is a lot more upfront in its general outline and goals. Roughly 30 songs compared to 13, 14 if you count Home, is quite a difference.

And, even then, aside from BYIT, almost every song on With Teeth has pretty standard, straightforward production styles with a very clean, almost surgical/clinical vibe to them. The Fragile is a messy, explosive, brooding and coiling thing that slips in and out of sounds nonstop. I still think that NIN at its most straightforward is still a lot more dynamic than other bands, so keep that in mind; I have no illusions that With Teeth is some overly simplistic standard rock song collection or something. But, for the band that it's from, it's a lot more stripped down and basic, in a brilliant way.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    I disagree. Sure, not all of them are hard-hitting songs, it's a sub-optimal way to phrase it, but they are extremely easy to digest, with the exception of a very few songs or small moments in others. Drum, guitar, bass, vocal, mostly moderate electronics, boom. Nothing like listening to Closer or The Becoming for the first time, thinking about just what the fuck went down in these songs, or feeling like you are on a journey with Even Deeper and The Way Out Is Through.

I love WT; it's clean, it has a no bullshit attitude, it doesn't overwhelm you and it's probably the most casual - for lack of a better word - NIN has ever sounded. Yeah, TS wins the simplicity context, but it's dirty and raw - in a good way, but still.

With Teeth is THE accessible, quality NIN record for me. No stripped down, raw madness bullshit a'la TS, no check out how fucking edgy I am without real drums HM (I'm doing everything to earn facepalms, aren't I? ), no listen to Trent wanting to climax on your face while your ears bleed a'la TDS, and no check out this another epic fucking filler dude a'la TF*. No. In NIN standards, WT is straight to the fucking point, while still being relatively interesting, so you can savor many of those songs as well.

*I'm not shitting any of these records, I just wanted to showcase that for an outsider, most NIN records are tough to swallow for the first time. Most people won't say "hmm, Complication bridged Starfuckers and ILFTJYF together pretty fucking good, this band is legit af", right? Then again, maybe I should've spammed my friends with Complication instead of THTF ~~~~ :P

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    NTAE won't be one of my favorite nin releases i don't think, but i DO like it a lot and it strikes me as a bit of a return to form.
    It sounds more like 90s NIN than anything released since TF era and it really fucking surprised me.

I'm really hoping that they continue in this vein. I've thoroughly enjoyed the more straightforward rock vibe of WT, the electronic chaos of YZ and the dark pop sensibilities of HM and parts of TS and YZ. It's all fucking great.

But if TR can pull off something like this, something that REALLY harkens back to the NIN sound of 92-2000, in the form of an LP, got DAMN that would be awesome.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Woods View Post
    I just want to know about the physical component! Do we know anything yet? For 12 dollars I expect a disc of somekind or something
    If you're expecting a disc you'll likely be very disappointed.
    If you're expecting something different than a disc ("or something") then yes, you'll get something... but it likely isn't something that will have any music on it (in case you meant a USB drive with your "or something")

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    The something is likely not much, you/we basically bought an EP, don't expect too much from the physical component.

*No I won't spoil the nature of the physical component any further, just don't expect too much. It was only 12 bucks.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    NTAE won't be one of my favorite nin releases i don't think, but i DO like it a lot and it strikes me as a bit of a return to form.
    It sounds more like 90s NIN than anything released since TF era and it really fucking surprised me.

I'm really hoping that they continue in this vein. I've thoroughly enjoyed the more straightforward rock vibe of WT, the electronic chaos of YZ and the dark pop sensibilities of HM and parts of TS and YZ. It's all fucking great.

But if TR can pull off something like this, something that REALLY harkens back to the NIN sound of 92-2000, in the form of an LP, got DAMN that would be awesome.
    You know, it's strange. I am extremely happy with this EP, even if I won't listen to it much. It's fully trademark NIN once again, with some twists, and that's what I'm expecting from them!

But I hope they WON'T continue in this vein. Another EP or even LP with this kind of music would be too much for me. I am loving the fact that they are on a "fuck you, you have no idea what I (we) am still capable of"-course, but they should change things up for the next time. Keep the guitars and the real drums, that's all I ask.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    When I think of with teeth, aside from the collector, getting smaller and thtf I still hear many layers of sound. Sure not as much as TDS or TF but as some say, those are the anomolies in the discography. Most songs on WT have layers upon layers of vocals doing harmonies he's never done before but continues to do so now. I think the title track is a slow burner, the opposite of straight forward, also covered in layers of distortion and feedback by the end. TLBTB and YKWYA are beautiful messes of distortion and layers, ATLITW completely changes by the end....blah blah blah....sure some tracks are simple by nin standards, maybe more songwriting wise, but I don't think as simple as people like to think. There's a lot going on on those tracks. I think it's the live drums and lack of ambience (aside from a few tracks) and long intros that build up that makes it sound different.

Sorry, back to NTAE.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The something is likely not much, you/we basically bought an EP, don't expect too much from the physical component.

*No I won't spoil the nature of the physical component any further, just don't expect too much. It was only 12 bucks.
    wait wait wait. you know what it is for sure @Khrz ?

PM me!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    When I think of with teeth, aside from the collector, getting smaller and thtf I still hear many layers of sound. Sure not as much as TDS or TF but as some say, those are the anomolies in the discography. Most songs on WT have layers upon layers of vocals doing harmonies he's never done before but continues to do so now. I think the title track is a slow burner, the opposite of straight forward, also covered in layers of distortion and feedback by the end. TLBTB and YKWYA are beautiful messes of distortion and layers, ATLITW completely changes by the end....blah blah blah....sure some tracks are simple by nin standards, maybe more songwriting wise, but I don't think as simple as people like to think. There's a lot going on on those tracks. I think it's the live drums and lack of ambience (aside from a few tracks) and long intros that build up that makes it sound different.

Sorry, back to NTAE.
    +999,999 for troof

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

PM me!
    Stale incense, old sweat, and lies.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I played NTAE for a work buddy and casual nin fan the other day. He's more into the 90's nin and hasn't really dug anything since. Maybe with teeth I don't know. Anyway he said it sounded like Henry Rollins with all the spoken word verses. I was like fuck you dude.

Where I live has been super windy lately, I keep checking my porch. So afraid the physical component will blow away. I would imagine it's light. Hope it fits in mailbox without having to fold.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Stale incense, old sweat, and lies.
    Has it really come down to this?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll let us know that the physical component has shipped, or if it'll just arrive in our mailboxes one day without notice.

I thought the website said initially that the component was supposed to ship the first week of January. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

PM me!
    There was (likely) a spoiler a few pages back. I don't think anyone knows for sure but I'd be shocked if it's something other than what I think it is.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i saw those posts but we aren't SURE sure yet are we?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This wont happen, but......How fucking great would it be that when the vinyl arrives, it's called The Actual Events and has a whole other side to it. I would lose my mind.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No, nothing is confirmed as no one has received them yet.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Imo it makes more sense than 99% of the stuff I've seen posted here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think if it's not that exact same package it will be something very similar. Which is pretty unique I guess.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i have no doubt it's what that guy from ap posted. btw, did anyone here choose the exorbitant next day delivery?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i have no doubt it's what that guy from ap posted. btw, did anyone here choose the exorbitant next day delivery?
    If I can get free shipping on something that I don't know what it is, and I get the music instantly no matter which shipping I choose, I am going for that delicious free shipping, lol.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    If I can get free shipping on something that I don't know what it is, and I get the music instantly no matter which shipping I choose, I am going for that delicious free shipping, lol.
    agreed, i did the same, but i thought there'd probably be *someone* who opted for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Imo it makes more sense than 99% of the stuff I've seen posted here.
    Where are these posts?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'd like to say that although I am a fan of the era of NIN where TR was obsessively slaving over his material for years at a time, and I did have a similar reaction to With Teeth, as @DW_ did, I've still enjoyed a good amount of what has come after Still. I think you could hear the, yes, maybe pathological obsession and attention that drove those earlier works, and I think I must have been attracted to that. Even though Broken and The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are different, they do have that in common. But something like The Fragile was almost an anachronism when it came out. Few mainstream acts were releasing albumslike that in 1999. The industry and subcultures branching off and away from it that a good number of us grew up with kind of ceased to exist by the late 2000's, for obvious technological and also economic reasons. People definitely can create in a vacuum, but I'm not sure another set of insanely obsessed over albums would connect with people the same way. Maybe I'm wrong. However, NIN's music has generally shifted to being more immediate in its impact and its creation in a time where, coincidentally, how we consume generally has. I think, as an artist, TR could plausibly have been influenced by this change, over time, on a conscious or unconscious level. I still enjoy it, and I'm not listening for some completely genius thing like making a pop-laced album with roots in Coil's Horse Rotorvator or Love's Secret Domain, or whatever.

These days, I tend to be less interested in the more rock-dynamic, I guess, somewhat bombastic aspect of NIN and related projects. I wasn't a fan of the singles from HM, but I enjoyed the more meditative, electronic tracks on it, and I've come to enjoy Welcome oblivion more and more. I think I enjoy NTAE for what seems to be Trent's attitude about his past, and how he's working through what he used to be, and his ambivalence that people were attracted to this depressive, negative energy the most (that line about the flies blocking out the sun from the burning carcass on "Burning Bright" in this context is so funny to me, similar to the piano breakdown in "March of the Pigs" in its level of sarcasm). I'm less sold on the music in parts.

Also, although I don't think it's the greatest album ever, I really liked the complete switch-up of subject matter with Year Zero, and I think it's a great effort. I often wonder if he will look outside himself again that directly. He didn't get enough credit for that ARG, since a lot of media seemed to think it was just marketing, rather than maybe the largest concept album I've at least heard of. I wish the sites were preserved ... or that the definitive edition was coming with some crazy physical archive of them.

I've really enjoyed being able to go back to The Fragile at a different angle with the Deviations release ... as an album nerd living after the age of the album, I think I can safely say that was the most anticipation I ever will have for an album coming out, and it was somehow worth the wait. And hearing the unreleased tracks all these years later with the extra David Carson artwork is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Well hey so it's been a while and it's a new year now so here I go with another one of my typical ETS motherfuckers of a post, apologies for any incoherence or rambling to begin with since these things are always just reactionary first-drafts but away we go --
    Excellent write-up! And I like it!

But I want to emphasize my opinion that the change from TF to WT was no more drastic or dramatic than the change from TDS to TF. In my opinion TF stands alone as the one, epic NIN record. It is completely different in style from everything that came before and after. And it's my favorite of the bunch, so I would certainly love for Trent to go in that direction again and make "The Actual Events" an epic double album in the vein of "The Fragile".

And while I understand what you mean about the obsessive Trent of the 90's, I don't think he's any less obsessive today. I read about his work with the tours after HM's release and how desperate he was to get those right. I simply believe he's less expressive about this today than he was in the 90s. And yes, his being sober may have had an impact in this too, but mostly because being obsessive while sober has to be a hell of a lot easier than when you have issues with substance abuse.

I like what you wrote, but I still believe there's no reason to divide NIN's music into before and after TF. Each release before, during and after TF represent changes in style that are noticeable. And NTAE fits that "pattern" nicely, and I really like it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Man, Trent's putting out those deluxe editions again

https://store.nin.com/products/ntae-physical-component

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

Woohoo, that's my best investment ever! Ebay, here I come!!!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

I knew I was right to buy 2