Thread: ETS Book Club Book: Colson Whitehead's "The Underground Railroad"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I felt like the bad blood experiments were talking about sickle cell disease. pg 82:Granted it could go either way. But what little I know about SCD is that it affects blacks (Google says African descent, so not just blacks?), especially black males. So I went with a slightly more altruistic reason for the blood tests.
    This is from Page 121:

“Whatever you do, man, keep out of Red’s Café, if you have a taste for nigger gals.” Several of his male patients frequented the saloon, carrying on with the female patrons. His patients believed they were being treated for blood ailments. The tonics the hospital administered, however, were merely sugar water. In fact, the niggers were participants in a study of the latent and tertiary stages of syphilis.

“They think you’re helping them?” Sam asked the doctor. He kept his voice neutral, even as his face got hot. “It’s important research,” Bertram informed him. “Discover how a disease spreads, the trajectory of infection, and we approach a cure.” Red’s was the only colored saloon in the town proper; the proprietor got a break on the rent for a watchful eye. The syphilis program was one of many studies and experiments under way at the colored wing of the hospital.
    Also, from Pages 116-117:

Stolen bodies working stolen land. It was an engine that did not stop, stop, its hungry boiler fed with blood. With the surgeries that Dr. Stevens described, Cora thought, the whites had begun stealing futures in earnest. Cut you open and rip them out, dripping. Because that’s what you do when you take away someone’s babies— steal their future. Torture them as much as you can when they are on this earth, then take away the hope that one day their people will have it better.
    Page 123:

Cora thought back to the night she and Caesar decided to stay, the screaming woman who wandered into the green when the social came to an end. “They’re taking away my babies.” The woman wasn’t lamenting an old plantation injustice but a crime perpetrated here in South Carolina. The doctors were stealing her babies from her, not her former masters.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-03-2017 at 07:11 PM.