Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heavy Thread. Deathcore, Black Metal, Metalcore and all things HEAVY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    First great release I've heard this year: Chasms by Lycus
    Absolutely. A serious beast of a record.

Also, this belongs here (crossposted from the Boris thread):

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Then there's this interview where his noncommittal answers and his fucking CARNIVORE t-shirt make it clear where he stands if you're smart:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this materialized for me the other day while perusing theprp.com comments:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    really don't know how to feel about this stuff with Phil. We've all known about it for a long time, but there really hasn't been anything new or public to bring it up for discussion in years. So maybe alot of fans, like me, thought that he moved on from this bullshit. I've seen Down a few times, watched some interviews with him, and it seemed like he matured and loosened up a ton over the years. So I thought he probably dropped the low-key racist shit too. Apparently not.

This is the big one from 1995:

I'll post two more videos as evidence in following posts.

and I have my own anecdote. He pulled that Seig Heil gesture shit when I saw Superjoint Ritual at Ozzfest 2004. He was really hammered like he was the other night apparently. so maybe it just comes out when he's drunk and can't control himself? When he did it with SJR in '04, he didn't say anything to accompany it, but it was clear what the gesture was, and me & my buddy both looked at each other in shock. We couldn't believe he had done that on stage in such a big venue at a mainstream festival show like that. We're both hardcore kids, so maybe coming out of that scene we noticed it more, b/c it didn't seem like anyone caught it or cared. It was crazy either way. Couple that with the fact that we all know Pantera had a huge crowd of white power dudes as fans, and you can see that the band dabbled with this their whole time, and Phil never swore off it.

As for now, I'm glad he got called out from everyone, and maybe I'm a sucker b/c I love most of his projects, but I accept his apology. It certainly seemed sincere, and coupling that with how he seems to have softened after Dime was murdered, and I can't stay mad. This just blows man.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Gorod and Beyond Creation are playing here next month and I absolutely can't believe it. So now I have to go. Y'know, to find out if it's real!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I need to spend some time in this thread as I've recently fallen in love with the heavier sounds. I thought I missed the boat since I didn't like it as an angsty teen, haha, but what do ya know!

An old friend introduced me to Author & Punisher, and this video is hilarious!

Edit. I'm going through some Brazilian metal bands on youtube and I have to say, I wish more of them sang in Portuguese as opposed to English.
    Last edited by halloween; 02-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I need to spend some time in this thread as I've recently fallen in love with the heavier sounds. I thought I missed the boat since I didn't like it as an angsty teen, haha, but what do ya know!

An old friend introduced me to Author & Punisher, and this video is hilarious!

Edit. I'm going through some Brazilian metal bands on youtube and I have to say, I wish more of them sang in Portuguese as opposed to English.
    i've found that, as i've gotten older, i've started MAKING less loud/heavy music, but i've started LISTENING to way more of it (stuff that would have literally scared me as a teenager, even though i was making stuff that was kind of terrifying).

also, my friend knows author & punisher which is pretty cool.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That new fleshgod apocalypse album is delicious.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Burial Hex anyone?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I was never an After the Burial fan, but the new album is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's an entertaining listen.

http://www.theprp.com/2016/02/17/new...lbum-dig-deep/

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    An epic crossover of Pallbearer and Intronaut. Sounds like the Cave In album Antenna without the suck.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Been exploring a lot of black metal lately. I'll take any recommendations!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not full on black metal, but check out Gilded Lily's album Mongrel's Light.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Iceland.

Misþyrming
    Unortheta
    Mgła

are a good start.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Cradle of Shit!! lol, I kid I kid.

Check out 1349:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Cradle of Shit!! lol, I kid I kid.

Check out 1349:
    LOL nahhhh. Even though I've been listening to them I know they don't count usually. I've been into Behemoth, Satyricon, Septicflesh, Immortal, Anorexia Nervosa and a few others I've been digging around with on Spotify. I know they're not black but I've gotten the discography for Napalm Death recently. <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay. I've been away for a while (and this post is three weeks old) but:

Enslaved - Below The Lights

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal (only their first and third albums are BM, but NM is my favorite BM album)

Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade (the end of "Crystal Ammunition" is one of the most beautiful moments in BM)
    https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandca.../black-cascade

Drudkh - Eternal Turn Of The Wheel
    https://drudkh.bandcamp.com/album/et...n-of-the-wheel

Agalloch - Pale Folklore (I'd actually recommend Ashes Against The Grain to new people, but PF is their most BM-ish album)

Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon (the black metal album)

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss (say what you will about Varg himself, but...)

Mayhem - Out From The Dark

Negura Bunget - OM

Bathory - self-titled debut (the first of its kind)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone heard Mizmor? my friend put their (well, HIS, since it's a one-man band) 2016 album Yodh on his "top album art of the year" list so i checked it out. pretty amazing that it's just one guy doing everything. he's basically me with more talent hahahaha.

https://mizmor.bandcamp.com/album/yodh

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    anyone heard Mizmor? my friend put their (well, HIS, since it's a one-man band) 2016 album Yodh on his "top album art of the year" list so i checked it out. pretty amazing that it's just one guy doing everything. he's basically me with more talent hahahaha.

No but that's pretty good!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Fucking love that record. Abysmal, ruined. Cathartic earthquakes. Beksinski cover art. I'm in!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Top (heavy/ extreme/ doom/ death/ industrial/ black/ death/ depressive-suicidal/ ambient) metal picks for 2016

Scar Sighted by LEVIATHAN (released 11/2015 but whtvr it's amazing)

Collapse of Existence by IMPERCEPTUM (1/2016)
    https://imperceptum.bandcamp.com/alb...e-of-existence

End of Mirrors by ALARIC (5/2016)
    https://alaric.bandcamp.com/album/end-of-mirrors

Landless by EIGHT BELLS (2/2016)
    https://eightbells.bandcamp.com/

Revisions of the Past Pts I & II by PANOPTICON (7/2016)
    https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.c...t-of-mortality
    https://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.c...al-disservices

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've been rummaging through opinions and links and recommendations and I'm finding cool stuff.

Anyone here a fan of the "stereotypical" black metal bands? I've been delving and enjoying some that I've been exploring. To name a few are Watain (love it), Marduk, Dark Funeral and Emperor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone here a fan of the "stereotypical" black metal bands?
    Yes.

I tend to stick to the more depressive side of metal but I'm into Emperor and Watain, Inquisition, and canon like Bathory, Mayhem and (shh) Burzum.

I must admit that it's been a while since the more traditional black metal has held my attention. Lurker of Chalice and Darkspace are 2 of my favorites, and they are depressive suicidal bm.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninEater View Post
    Yes.

I tend to stick to the more depressive side of metal but I'm into Emperor and Watain, Inquisition, and canon like Bathory, Mayhem and (shh) Burzum.

I must admit that it's been a while since the more traditional black metal has held my attention. Lurker of Chalice and Darkspace are 2 of my favorites, and they are depressive suicidal bm.
    Burzum's Filosofem is a great album.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i wrote and recorded the beginnings of a funeral doom metal song that other day. was really surprised i managed to play the drums for the blast section (i mean, i had to run through them four times because the first three times i got off tempo a little). it's a fun new direction for me to take my music and i'm hoping to do more. also hoping my wife gets back into her cello and/or my friend alexis will be willing to add some violin. debating on whether to leave it instrumental or not.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    i wrote and recorded the beginnings of a funeral doom metal song that other day. was really surprised i managed to play the drums for the blast section (i mean, i had to run through them four times because the first three times i got off tempo a little). it's a fun new direction for me to take my music and i'm hoping to do more. also hoping my wife gets back into her cello and/or my friend alexis will be willing to add some violin. debating on whether to leave it instrumental or not.
    Better not say shit like that and don't expect to post or share any demos

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Better not say shit like that and don't expect to post or share any demos
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/njxxxl7kow6dwcg/Gold.mp3?dl=0

right now it's just (un-EQ'd) baritone guitars and (semi-EQ'd) drums. i need a heavier sound for the drums in general, the snare needs to be way more clear during the blast section, and i need a different kind of reverb (and a fuck ton more of it). i want it to sound like i'm playing in a god damn cavern haha.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe - If you ever feel like you want noise/bient layers for that stuff, shoot me a line. Hell, I might do it anyway for fun.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    @eversonpoe - If you ever feel like you want noise/bient layers for that stuff, shoot me a line. Hell, I might do it anyway for fun.
    thanks, dude! i was trying to decide if i wanted to add anything like that. i do a lot of drone stuff but i wasn't sure if that'd be right for it.