Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cocteau Twins

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the new track earlier today. Fuck, that was good.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I've had Blue Bell Knoll for over a decade and love it. Could someone recommend another Cocteau Twins? I also have This Mortal Coil's Blood and love that one as well.
    Treasure. My personal favourite, slightly above Blue Bell Knoll and Garlands (tied). The Lullabies to Violane compilation is great too.

You can't really go wrong with any Cocteaus release. The Garlands-era stuff is quite raw and rough-around the edges and the last two albums are more electronic-oriented, but it all has the same unmistakable signature. Go nuts.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I got into Cocteau Twins after hearing Pink Orange Red on the radio, really lovely and ethereal song.

So I have the Tiny Dynamine / Echoes in a Shallow Bay EP and Heaven or Las Vegas on CD.

Unfortunately I used to have more and had bought Blue Bell Knoll, Garlands, Victorialand - from a sale in HMV - and then once when I was about to move house I decided to do a purge of CDs and just got rid of a load I hadn't got round to listening to including these - really regretting doing that now (it was in the days before ipods or even having a decent computer to burn them to). I think I might buy a best of collection and see about extending my collection!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Cocteau Twins

I got the CD EP Box Set, as my first purchase, then the albums followed,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The EPs are just as good as the albums, Sunburst and Snowblind contains arguably their best song Sugar Hiccup, i started off with The Spangle Maker EP, it contained the song Pearly Dew Drops Drop which was their biggest hit. Aikea Guinea EP, and Love's Easy Tears EP are masterpiece's too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    head over heels and victorialand will always be my favorites. the darkest album and the most serene.

what's the story behind simon not being on victorialand, even though he was on the two albums released on either side of it, time-wise?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    simon was busy working on this mortal coil's filigree and shadow.

speaking of simon, check out his earlier band, pre-cocteaus:

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    and then there's always will heggie's band post-garlands, who i love very dearly:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    this christmas, i'm gonna give the Snow e.p. to my daughter, now she's getting into music,
    also so i don't have to listen to those awful christmas carols!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I actually got to meet them a couple times. Photos with them after a show during the Four Calendar Cafe tour. They all seemed to be really unhappy. Later, I think I read it was a really bad time for them. Too bad, really. They made fantastic music. Garlands, Head Over Heels, and Milk and Kisses are my top three favorites.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah that era was a rough spot, i've heard stories about robin guthrie kicking heroin at the time, hence the relatively docile sound of the album and tour. i don't love those christmas carols but there's some weird charm to them and i prefer them to say, paul mccartney's christmas song.

four calendar cafe
    is easily my least favorite record, even though it kicks off with one of their best latter-day tracks ('know who you are at every age'). i don't love the entire record, but milk and kisses was a really strong return to form, and i enjoyed the twinlights and otherness EPs (the latter which featured remixes by seefeel, whose first record is brilliant). i wonder what would have happened if the band continued and released music on raymonde's label...

my top three is probably head over heels, heaven or las vegas, garlands, if we're not counting EPs, which are very, very brilliant and sometimes overshadow the records.

i've never met any of them, but i've seen robin solo, and had liz walk right past me while queuing stupid early for the massive attack v. adam curtis documentary where she performed. i don't usually get like that with celebrity sightings (except when i saw bowie), but my heart skipped a beat. i'm pretty sure she smiled and said some meek hello when walking past, but it was awkward and wonderful.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    they were suppose to play at coachella in 2005, if i remember rightly, then pulled out,
    but the artist line up was still good, nin, new order, bauhaus, prodigy, chemical brothers, mercury rev, unkle, and DJ Peretz [perry farrel]

also in my school days, i copies simons hair, i got some shit for that, but i couldn't give a fuck!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    hah! my hair is pretty much a early robert smith (seventeen seconds/faith​) meets simon raymonde sort of thing. this pretty much could be a current photo of me, clothing/face included. the look doesn't do too well in the corporate sector, but i could give a fuck.

and yeah, that coachella thing was very disappointing. i've never really been interested in the festival, but i was ready to fly over for that.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-07-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I always wanted to get into them, i just now a couple of songs and that's it... which album you recommend me to start out?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    head over heels and the lullabies to violane collection are nice starting points, the former being my favorite and still retaining that darker sound they started with and the latter collecting all the EP stuff, some of which ranks among their best work (and gives you a nice progression to hear how they changed over the years).

treasure
    seems to be a fan favorite, but it's my least favorite of the 4ad run due to the thin production and constant overuse of the 'when the levee breaks' drum samples on every track. still great, but less so than others.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    When we first met them, my friend was so starstruck he couldn't speak. I had to tell Fraser his name so she could sign his things. We were doing pictures, and she hates the flash, (who can blame her) but I really wanted to try to get one with her eyes open with my friend because of him being so enamored with her. She burst out laughing when she realized what I was doing, and that actually made for a really good photo, I thought.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fucking love CT, always have.
    Liz of course did vocals on this beautiful track from another of my fav bands from the 80's..Felt.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    felt are so damn underrated in general!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^ We need a thread dedicated to Felt and all things Lawrence.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    From Facebook:
    Hello, Robin Guthrie here. I'm working right now with 4AD on several projects which may please CT fans, for release later this year, not to mention some of my new work which is currently in production in my studio . That's all to come.... more news soon.