Thread: The Feminist Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, yeah. See also this.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I compared it to the legalization of cannabis earlier. Having been in those circles for a few years, there was a lot of violence involved. Dealers getting their clients beat up because they wouldn't pay, conflicts about the fairness of the trades, territorial head-butting... Those circumstances have more to do with the context of the dealings, not with the drug market itself. If there is no grid and if everything is illegal, things will turn this way. Put a legal structure around it, make it safe and socially acceptable and most of it disappears.
    Yes, but here in the U.S, in states where pot is legal it's so expensive the underground market still exists because it's cheaper. As is typical, the government fucks things up with overtaxation and overregulation, creating an underground or black market when they had attempted to get rid of it. Insurance doesn't cover medical marijuana because it's still FEDERALLY illegal, so costs are out-of-pocket. But we digress ...

Re handicapped people, there could be ways to license that professionally. Like sex surrogates, but legally.

You don't have to understand the trans perspective to understand that they can't find jobs and are being fired and have to resort to prostitution and are being beaten up, right? And there are enough high-paying customers out there who want to have sex with these trans women (and then sometimes beat them up).
    Last edited by allegro; 08-11-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You don't have to understand the trans perspective to understand that they can't find jobs and are being fired and have to resort to prostitution and are being beaten up, right? And there are enough high-paying customers out there who want to have sex with these trans women (and then sometimes beat them up).
    No, of course not, I was just saying that I preferred to avoid commenting on that, I'm afraid I'm too "green" on that topic to avoid saying something grossly insensitive, I'd rather not take that chance as it could be misinterpreted and taken as a solid opinion rather than a simply ignorant one.

We know full well who the lions are in your analogy. We also know they're not going vegan anytime soon, and to be cynical, we know that if we take the food off of them, they'll start hunting.
    I completely understand your position. I've seen prostitutes take the streets to protest the government cranking up on the criminalization of prostitution, but I'm not naive enough to think those are people who were offered a whole array of career paths and decided to answer the calling of sex work. They will still defend their position if it's threatened.

I really don't know, as I said earlier I have nothing left to propose. As with many difficult issues, it's a web of economic circumstances, social stigma, ingrained behavior and legal mess. pull a thread and the whole thing becomes a mess of knots.

God you've got to stop editing your posts a dozen times ahahah
    You definitely described what I have in mind with that last paragraph. Seeing it written like that I understand how it won't fix anything. The underground sex trade will remain there, and nothing will change.
    Last edited by Khrz; 08-11-2015 at 10:27 AM.