Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us (HBO series based on the PS3 game)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

The Last of Us (HBO series based on the PS3 game)

Is anyone else here watching this? The first episode was fantastic and basically everything I could have hoped for as someone who has played through the game 3 or 4 times. My only potential gripe so far is that Spoiler: I've heard they're not going to have the show acknowledge that the virus can spread from spores in the air, and therefore the characters won't have to put on a mask in confined areas like they did in the original game. I'm not sure I like that change and it's probably mostly because they don't want to cover the actors' faces (and maybe Pedro is getting sick of wearing a mask all the time on his other show). That's a pretty minor nitpick, though. Otherwise, it's very faithful to the video game so far. I especially loved the opening scene set on a talk show in 1968 and how they set everything up from a scientific perspective. I'm so happy that HBO gave this show the budget and talented cast of actors it deserves because the story is so great and worthy of being brought to life.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 01-20-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I watched ep 1 earlier this week. Pretty decent although I have no experience-with or knowledge-of the video game besides virus / zombies / spores / pandemic. I enjoyed it enough that I'll keep watching. I did come away thinking it was a bit derivative (ie: Children of Men, and probably other stories before that) but interested to see where this goes.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I did come away thinking it was a bit derivative (ie: Children of Men, and probably other stories before that) but interested to see where this goes.
    To be fair, it's hard NOT to be derivative when the story centers around what are essentially zombies in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian world. Children of Men, The Walking Dead, Y the Last Man, World War Z, I Am Legend... they all have many of the same elements.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I watched ep 1 earlier this week. Pretty decent although I have no experience-with or knowledge-of the video game besides virus / zombies / spores / pandemic. I enjoyed it enough that I'll keep watching. I did come away thinking it was a bit derivative (ie: Children of Men, and probably other stories before that) but interested to see where this goes.
    For sure it's derivative from that perspective. Try to focus on the dynamic of Joel & Ellie & if the show nails it, that will be the real thing the show is about. How this world shaped the two of them, how they end up needing each other, and how they change each other.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was in a coffee shop and saw this and had a huge hol' up moment.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I loved it. I agree with your spoilers.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Watching first episode. Pretty good so far. I like it more than the last few years of Walking Dead & assorted spinoffs.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    To be fair, it's hard NOT to be derivative when the story centers around what are essentially zombies in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian world. Children of Men, The Walking Dead, Y the Last Man, World War Z, I Am Legend... they all have many of the same elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    For sure it's derivative from that perspective. Try to focus on the dynamic of Joel & Ellie & if the show nails it, that will be the real thing the show is about. How this world shaped the two of them, how they end up needing each other, and how they change each other.
    Yeah you're right and I acknowledge that. It wasn't so much a criticism as it was an observation. Typically I'm uninterested in Zombie material...I've never seen Walking Dead and saw I Am Legend once a long time ago so I'm not well-versed in the genre. And to Bobbie's point, I'm def watching for the characters.
    Last edited by cdm; 01-23-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Damn just finished episode two. Another stellar episode.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Having grown up in the suburbs of Boston, I laughed so hard at the caption on the opening scene of this week's episode when it said "10 miles west of Boston." There is no place anywhere near Boston that looks anything like that. So clearly PNW or western Canada.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Yeah that def not was Mass at all, but man that episode was amazing. Love what they did to show us that relationship. And despite that episode being a much slower one, we still got a few badass action moments.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Well, episode 3 absolutely broke my heart.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    well written episode.
    with that said, I did miss the Joel/Ellie interactions with Bill in the game. I guess I understand why they changed it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Missed opportunity with that upside down scene, that could have been some great tension especially if they found a way to disorient the viewer as well. Watch Joel trying to fumble and aim, dropping bullets and just making things count in the nick of time.

Ah well, It was a great episode but It would have been cool to see Joel and Ellie traversing the town and getting around Bill's traps. You had that school set piece too where they could have had something interesting go down.

I wonder if they're even going to do the hotel generator scene in this which was another great moment from the game. They HAVE to do the giraffes at least, right? I mean fuck.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    something to keep in mind is costs. a video game can make all those set pieces easy enough, just costs hours of time from a coder/artists/etc., whereas in live-action it's builders and actors and pre-production. It might look cool in the game but be cost prohibitive for the show.

Edit: lol

Last edited by allegate; 01-31-2023 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    yeah, I was really looking forward to the upside down scene on TV. maybe we'll get it in a different form later in the series.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Finally got around to seeing episode 3. Amazing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That was one of the most touching episodes of TV I've seen in a long time. I'm glad they made that change.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Episode 4 was good, however I feel like on a personal level to me they're going to have a hard time topping episode 3 haha

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Just watched episode 3 last night. Yeah, that was sad as fuck - but was it really necessary to make a whole episode about it? I don't know anything about the video game, so I don't know if it's related to that. Great acting though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Just watched episode 3 last night. Yeah, that was sad as fuck - but was it really necessary to make a whole episode about it? I don't know anything about the video game, so I don't know if it's related to that. Great acting though.
    That's what is nice about making it a TV show rather than a movie. Neil Druckmann (the writer of The Last of Us games) also being involved makes it so we get to explore these stories in a new medium and we get to expand on the characters. It's really adding for the fans of the games and any newcomers. I think it was the right choice to make most of the episode about it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Yeah, that was sad as fuck
    Was it though? I mean, considering what's going on in the world, they seemed to enjoy nearly 20 years of relatively peaceful and comfortable life together, and they got to die on their own terms. Well, almost on their own, since there was illness involved, but you get the point. I would say they were some of the happiest and most successful survivors! Sure, they died before their time, they probably could have lived a few decades more, but in this world their life is probably the best you can hope for.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Episode 5 comes out this Friday 2/10 @ 9pm. I guess to avoid competition with the Super Bowl.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    oh that makes a lot of sense. when it said that at the end of the episode my wife and I both wondered what that meant as it was phrased oddly. But competing with the Super Bowl? Yeah, ok. Got it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Was it though? I mean, considering what's going on in the world, they seemed to enjoy nearly 20 years of relatively peaceful and comfortable life together, and they got to die on their own terms. Well, almost on their own, since there was illness involved, but you get the point. I would say they were some of the happiest and most successful survivors! Sure, they died before their time, they probably could have lived a few decades more, but in this world their life is probably the best you can hope for.
    I thought it was a good way to world build, and to show how some people could live their lives during that time. Plus, to people that have played the game, it gave a good fan service to Bill IMO.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Episode 5.

Gut-wrenching ending! I went and looked at some TLOU footage to compare and refresh my memory, i was pretty impressed at how much dialog they reused.

A few differences but it all worked out pretty well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    last night's episode was one of my favorite parts of playing the game

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I liked the touch with the little girl moving like an acrobat/contortionist inside the car, it was a subtle way to show the non-human element in charge.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Felt like I was playing the game again for much of that episode. Was excellent!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is there a reason they don't even take a minute to say "wtaf was that thing" at the end of the episode? I get they needed the brother drama to, ah, wrap up so to speak, but I feel like that maybe should have garnered a bit of conversation. maybe the next episode?

Very strong episode, revealed things slowly enough to continue building the world while also moving the story along. it's so subtle but very effective. Gut wrenching end though, really sold the anguish there.

Melanie Lynskey was great. She's a real POS in the show, it was amazing to see. The guy spelled it out, "Your brother was a great man, but you're getting stuff done." Amazing how things change when you have someone allowing you to hate and hurt like she did. But also...she walked just a little too daintily for the end of the world. It just seemed like she was on a weekend with the boys instead of leading a bloody rebellion. But maybe that was a choice, what do I know.

edit:

no seriously, what do I know? lol she's got a point, and it was a choice. I'm leaving it to show I'm an idiot.

Last edited by allegate; 02-13-2023 at 10:15 AM.