Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Jesus and Mary Chain

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Jesus and Mary Chain

From their upcoming album, Damage and Joy, out 3/24. Sounds good.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    well, it's cool. It's not Darklands-cool, but it's definitely pretty nifty.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Damn. They're even shitting on Bowie.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    lol I love these guys.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Damn. They're even shitting on Bowie.
    Some of those comments, I think, are tongue-in-cheek, especially on McCartney.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I hope those Bowie comments aren't serious because i like this band, today i'm listening to "Automatic".

The new single is ok, nothing awesome but it does make me want to check the whole thing, the album cover is horrendous though...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Only song of theirs that I know, but man do I love it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It's kind of like being visited by a long lost friend. I can definitely be down for some JAMC.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I hope those Bowie comments aren't serious because i like this band, today i'm listening to "Automatic".

The new single is ok, nothing awesome but it does make me want to check the whole thing, the album cover is horrendous though...
    I think thier whole vibe is to irritate everyone. The comments about other bands. The cover. Etc.

Like let's see what everyone wants and expects us to say and do. And do the opposite.

It's hard being held to a standard set forth by others.

The only thing I don't know if I like about any of it is the fact that they may be allowing others opinions to influence thier art. Even if they're bucking everyone's opinions by doing the opposite. Thats still being affected.

That being said I still love them and I love the new songs. Can't wait for the album tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I think thier whole vibe is to irritate everyone. The comments about other bands. The cover. Etc.

Like let's see what everyone wants and expects us to say and do. And do the opposite.

It's hard being held to a standard set forth by others.

The only thing I don't know if I like about any of it is the fact that they may be allowing others opinions to influence thier art. Even if they're bucking everyone's opinions by doing the opposite. Thats still being affected.

That being said I still love them and I love the new songs. Can't wait for the album tomorrow.
    It makes sense, i guess it's a way to feed their "Hate Rock N Roll" vibe...

Funny, they are a band i like and enjoy but i wasn't aware on their "statements" on the press, i always thought the Reid brothers were silent "snobs" and nothing else, i actually had a blast with their Eric Clapton comment...

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I love JaMC, and oh well if personally they can be pricks. I know someone who used to promote gigs and dealt with them back in their heyday, and he just shook his head and said they were incredible assholes. Oh well. Good thing I don't need to personally interact with them then, I guess, and just enjoy the music.

So now I'm going to try to avoid reading whatever it is they said about Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Only song of theirs that I know, but man do I love it.
    Listen to Honey's Dead, from the same period of time that was recorded... You will be stoked.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The McCartney comment still has me laughing, I was always a Lennon fan then Harrison.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Love the new album. I can't stop listening to Emperor of Sand or it would have more plays.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Listen to Honey's Dead, from the same period of time that was recorded... You will be stoked.
    you are correct!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    The thing to remember about the comments in that article is that the vast majority of them are from the 80s and 90s, and those guys have grown up a bit up over the years (as evidenced by Jim's later rebuttal of his Joy Division comments.) They were also blitzed out of their minds on drugs and booze during a lot of those years. As for Bowie, the bros Reid are actually big fans of his, they just severely hated the new romantic movement (as stated in the comment) that Bowie largely inspired. It's along the same lines as people hating on Pearl Jam for inspiring Creed or some of the more embarrassing post-grunge bands. It's not Bowie's or Pearl Jam's fault, but they get attacked anyway.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Heard "Damage and Joy" and liked it, quality songs from top to bottom; but it's no "Psychocandy".

I also went on a JAMC binge last night, and i got to this forgotten track, one of their best songs and it's not on any album:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    After a couple of listens I like what I hear so far, not sure if "Damage and Joy" will become an addiction or obsession but I like it so far.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Got the new disc and will give it a spin today. Saw them 3x--two back-to-back nights in Boston at a small club, really awesome, intimate, rowdy shows. Saw them a few years later at the Boston HOB--played Psychocandy in its entirety.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I only listened to the new album once, but I'd give it a 3.5/5. It pretty much just picks up where they left off. This sounds, more-or-less like their late 90's material. A well-written, solid album, and if you like JATMC, you will like this, but it's not one of their very best.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Album of the year so far for me. But I also know a place to bury strangers are working on a new album and that's all I can see taking over that spot at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    One of my favourite bands....nothing ever topped Psychocandy for me though....althoughi love pretty much everything they did ....Hearing that album the first time it was so mindblowing....was like being hit by as Bus. ..its basically got me into the entire Noise/Shoegaze genre...as it did many...well it sort of invented Shoegaze..??
    They were one of the most popular Indie bands in Britain in the Mid 80s..along with the Smiths etc...they made tabloid news for those awful riots at their gigs..,hammers being thrown on stage etc urgh!!
    But yeah also love the other albums..but after that it was more just individual songs...Honeys Dead or Munki are probably runners up...the last album Munki on Subpop was really underrated barely anyone noticed it when it came out in 1998.
    Babred Wire Kisses is awesome too.Seen them live loads of times...hopefully see them soon...by the way many of these 'new' songs have been floating around in demo form ever since they reformed back in 2007
    Last edited by Exocet; 04-15-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw them live yesterday night, and I have to say - not bad at all! I'd consider myself a casual listener, my gf is the true fan, but she couldn't come with me.

Why don't people dance during these concerts? Roughly half the setlist was danceable, but the crowd couldn't really let go until the last third of the show. It also occurred to me that the average (german) JMC-fan seems to be a smoker over forty - the audience was barely able to applaud for more then 30 seconds in a row... Which seemed fine for the band, given how they played with virtually no interruptions or stage changes. The stage/light show itself was a bit low tech, considering the price of the tickets (in fact the stage was so dark I'm not even sure if there were 6 or 7 people in the live band) but the sound was okay. Not a NIN-class of sound, more a sleazy sort of rock&roll-sound.

All in all - nice. I may end up becoming a true believer after this.

Oh, and Jim Reid is considering himself now as a sell-out because of the crowd-pleasing abilities of "All Things Pass" :-D
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 04-25-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Munki might be my favorite overall album they've done. Psychocandy is the classic, of course, but I remember picking up Munki on CD the day it was released and I loved the whole thing. 'Black' is one of my very favorite songs by them, right after the Hope Sandoval collaboration on the previous album. She shows up on Munki's 'Perfume' too, if I remember correctly..

This new album of theirs is like a direct continuation of what they were during on Munki, except there's the knowledge that they were actually in the same room together this time. It just gets better each time I play it.
    "Black" is one of my favorite songs as well, and Munki is seriously underrated. Love Hope as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    It always blows my mind when I listen to Munki how good it really is, considering both brothers weren't even talking to one another at the time. All of their albums are gems, but Munki is just one great song after another, and it's like their longest album.

Was really hoping they would have collabed with Hope again on the new album, but Isobel Campbell does a bang-up job all the same..
    The one thing I dig about all their albums is this sort of nonchalance or this "I don't give a fuck attitude" not only in the vocals but the music as well. It's almost like they are saying "this is our shit and fuck you if you don't like it". I love that and that attitude seemed to be all over Munki. Songs like "Black" "Birthday" and of coarse ""I Hate Rock n' Roll". I love this band and I'm listening to Munki as I type this, "Birthday" right now.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album Glasgow Eyes.