Thread: Daʿish/ISIS/ISIL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I know — people come in here to start making associations before all the facts are in. ISIS probably had very little to do with the "seige" in Sydney either.

Yeah, ISIS had nothing to do with the siege in Australia. I was just speculating as to what the motivation might be - I don't think that really warrants such a critical tone, as I disclaimed it as speculation, and as speculation goes it's not that wild.

I also have to protest the implication that I'm lumping all "brown dude" terrorism in the same category - France is currently helping the fight against ISIS & in speeches Abu Bakr has called for people who can't travel to fight in Syria or Iraq to do whatever they can wherever they can, and to carry out attacks swiftly after any strikes are made against ISIS - or any perceived slights against ISIS or Muslims in the media. The night before the shooting, Charlie Hebdo tweeted a caricature of Abu Bakr. France has a large community of Sunni muslims & many have left to fight already. I made the association with ISIS because there's a solid few things to suggest there might be a connection, not because I see terrorism as one monolithic racially characterised bloc

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    When we reach the point where ISIS is actually considered a true governing power, they will be nuked.
    It's scary how far along they are. They've held onto some areas for so long now that they have ISIS branded police, tv stations, printing presses etc. Apparently amenities and infrastructure are breaking down though, there are terrible food shortages and people are starting to resent the well fed, well paid soldiers. Also there are lots of reports of ISIS police torturing minor offenders. Foreign fighters torturing civilians in a newly acquired territory sounds like the perfect way to breed an insurgency against yourself.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    @Sutekh , I wasn't trying to be critical of your response — clearly you have a better-informed perspective on what's happening in the region than anyone else responding. It's just a shame that the thread inevitably drifts from discussion of a conflict (involving a specific group of well-organized, resources-rich, fundamentalist actors) over to acts of any group claiming allegience to Islam.

And yes, @Jinsai the reason for that is this discussion is racially charged. If we're all coming in here to talk about any heinous act of religious extremist terrorism, how come nobody said peep about the Taliban attacking a school in Pakistan less than a month ago? Maybe it's because none of the 130 kids who died were white people.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    And yes, @Jinsai the reason for that is this discussion is racially charged. If we're all coming in here to talk about any heinous act of religious extremist terrorism, how come nobody said peep about the Taliban attacking a school in Pakistan less than a month ago? Maybe it's because none of the 130 kids who died were white people.

Perhaps not on this website, but then again, you have to admit the news section of this board is really a bit random when it comes to covering things. Everyone was covering the school massacre in Pakistan. Just because it didn't generate a conversation here doesn't mean it wasn't discussed. To imply that racism is a factor behind why we aren't discussing murder on this board is insane. After all, you were here. Why didn't you bring it up? Did it have something to do with racism?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)

Wait a minute.
    I started this thread and it was NEVER intended to be racially charged.
    The reason no one mentioned the Pakistani Taliban attack here, i would assume, is because it was perpetrated by the PAKISTANI TALIBAN...right?
    I started this thread because IS appears to be a new kind of group altogether...organized, diverse, HIGHLY militarized, seeking statehood, declaring a caliphate...and i've yet to see such a group in my lifetime.

The assumption that the paris attack may have been IS related WAS a fair one, and not just because it was perpetrated by islamic extremists, and ESPECIALLY not because it was perpetrated by brown people.

I don't think anyone in this thread is coming from a racist angle.

I'm damn sure not. And i certainly don't blame the religion either.

I'd imagine that far more atrocities have been committed in the name of christianity than islam.