Page 89 of 131 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3921

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Emo? no.

To be honest, not a lot of post-90s mainstream music impressed me. So much of it feels plastic and disposable, much more calculated and celebrity driven than anything musically revolutionary. LP didn’t ever feel heavy to me. Their music didn’t feel challenging and their lyrics never felt dangerous. Instead it felt calculated for appeal and commercialized.

Linkin Park is the easy one to pick on because of their commercial success. It seems like in the mid to late 90s people were sitting in a room coming up with a formula to create a band that would by default sell millions of albums by appealing to the broadest possible spectrum of the youth. They asked, “what are the most popular things in music today?” The answer: rap, angsty rock, and boy bands. Those things then became one in the form of Linkin Park, and a plastic revolution of radio friendly frustration was born. Right or wrong, that’s just the vibe I’ve always gotten from LP.

I can at least appreciate the technical execution of what LP does. They are quite proficient in doing what they do.
    But comparedto what followed it, in hindsight we can call LP heavy. I still consider it less of a sellout - and more interesting - than the average "US metal" scene.

I don't think LP set the trend which led to the emission of metal music from the top dogs; they were merely in the last (metal) genre that catered to a wide audience and it was an easy sell commercially.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so, since I'm here, I wanna stay on topic and talk about other bands that suck besides Linkin Park, because that's some low hanging fruit. Everyone knows they suck, what about Steely Dan? A friend of mine once described them as "the musical equivalent of a silver coke spoon necklace hanging over an exposed hairy chest." Thoughts?
    Your friend is a clueless idiot.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Your friend is a clueless idiot.
    Nah, he's a smart guy. Outside of production and musicianship, I pretty much feel the same way. I gave up on trying to like Steely Dan.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Nah, he's a smart guy. Outside of production and musicianship, I pretty much feel the same way. I gave up on trying to like Steely Dan
    I don't get it. They've fucking awesome, filled with some of the best studio musicians in history. Like Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour. SD is known as one of the most precise studio engineers ever, bordering on obsessive. Even Reznor commented about that. AND he watches "Two Against Nature."

http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=147

I've seen them live twice, up there with the best shows, best musicianship, inarguably the best BAND I have EVER seen. And I sing along LOUDLY to some of the best songs in pop and jazz history.

G and I always wanted to see them do this live:

Jimmy Page reportedly said that Elliot Randall's guitar solo in "Reeling in the Years" is his favorite guitar solo of all time.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    But comparedto what followed it, in hindsight we can call LP heavy.
    Yeah, I can understand your perspective. If we are comparing LP against the likes of Dashboard Confessional, Plain White T's, The Killers, or Jimmy Eat World, then yup, LP has a heavier sound. But I’d still point to some other bands that were making solid albums in the early 2000s, and maybe they weren’t as profitable as LP but they were still successful and doing things infinitely more interesting than LP. Stuff like Tool - Lateralus (2001), Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002), System of a Down - Toxicity (2002), or Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002). I’m not personally the biggest fan of albums like Lateralus or Toxicity, but they strike me as being from a more genuine place and far more creative/mature albums than Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Yeah, I can understand your perspective. If we are comparing LP against the likes of Dashboard Confessional, Plain White T's, The Killers, or Jimmy Eat World, then yup, LP has a heavier sound. But I’d still point to some other bands that were making solid albums in the early 2000s, and maybe they weren’t as profitable as LP but they were still successful and doing things infinitely more interesting than LP. Stuff like Tool - Lateralus (2001), Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002), System of a Down - Toxicity (2002), or Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002). I’m not personally the biggest fan of albums like Lateralus or Toxicity, but they strike me as being from a more genuine place and far more creative/mature albums than Hybrid Theory or Meteora.
    Definitely, but I miss the mainstream status of metal and quality alternative metal/rock or whatever we want to call those genres. The type of music which were prominent, albeit maybe overshadowed by LP (though come on, SOAD was fucking big for example) could not hit the same level of success today. I don't listen much to radios nowadays, but coming across anything that's at least as heavy as LP was back then is almost impossible, unless you are listening to some exclusive rock radio station.

Basically, if we had a Linkin Park today, other bands could be sailing behind it, getting radio play and more recognition as well.

edit: though the digital age helps to get to more people easily, it also means shitty bands can do the same, so oyu have to sift through it all, which can be tedious.
    Last edited by Volband; 02-17-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Nah, he's a smart guy. Outside of production and musicianship, I pretty much feel the same way. I gave up on trying to like Steely Dan.
    I also don't care for them.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I don't get it. They've fucking awesome, filled with some of the best studio musicians in history. Like Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour. SD is known as one of the most precise studio engineers ever, bordering on obsessive. Even Reznor commented about that. AND he watches "Two Against Nature."
    I've talked with people who worked on Aja... I know what an incredible production team they had behind them. I can appreciate the stellar production, it truly is amazing. I can appreciate their abilities as incredible musicians. That's where I drop off.

I have a similar thing with The Police. I've tried... I recognize and respect the incredible aspects of their music. Outside of a couple songs off Synchronicity, I just can't stand listening to it. I know, Stewart Copeland is a virtuoso. So is Thundercat, but I'd rather listen to noise.

I also can't get into SRV. I have respect for him, but I just do not like hearing him play... Eric Clapton's guitar tone makes me want to scream. Carlos Santana can play, but I'd prefer he do it somewhere where I don't have to hear it. Hell, even John Mayer is an amazing guitarist, but if that's "good music," I fucking hate good music. Mariah Carey has one of the most incredible singing voices anyone has ever been gifted with, so it's torture to hear her belt out these bullshit songs. Everyone in Dave Matthews Band is a great musician, but fuck me sideways with a barbershop pole before you make me listen to their boring music.

Maybe it's a mood thing with Steely Dan. Maybe I just don't ever "feel" the way that their music appeals to. Music always works with mood, yeah, sometimes it's transformative... the right song at the right time can improve your day.. but sometimes it's just alien to me. Maybe it's one element that sours it for me... I mean, I might actually love The Police if Sting wasn't the vocalist... his faux reggae infused style just makes me feel crazy. With Steely Dan, it's so many things that rub me the wrong way... I don't know, it just seems fitting that they named themselves after a dildo.

Whenever I want to be wowed by incredible musicians, I generally turn to jazz or classical or... in the rock realm, Hendrix.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Definitely, but I miss the mainstream status of metal and quality alternative metal/rock or whatever we want to call those genres. The type of music which were prominent, albeit maybe overshadowed by LP (though come on, SOAD was fucking big for example) could not hit the same level of success today...
    Sorry for taking us off the rails here, but with the paradigm shift over the last 20 or so years from CDs to MP3s now to subscription streaming, would anyone hit the same level of success today… at least as far as commercial album sales are concerned? The era of the casual music listener having to buy the physical album for $15 to get the couple of radio hits they want is over. Trent was spot-on with this comment a few years back,

“music IS free whether you want to believe that or not. Every piece of music you can think of is available free right now a click away.”

I honestly don’t keep up with most modern music, but is any artist selling albums into the millions today? I would think very few command those numbers except for maybe the poppiest of pop and hip hop stars like Taylor Swift or Kanye.

Basically, if we had a Linkin Park today, other bands could be sailing behind it, getting radio play and more recognition as well.
    Linkin Park is sill around today, and while their last album wasn’t a commercial flop by any stretch, I don’t think it did nearly as well as most of their prior albums here in the US. A buddy of mine is a big LP fan, it’s noteworthy to say he is almost 20 years younger than myself. So anyway, he has made sure that over the course of our kickin’ it time that I've heard his LP collection, on several occasions. It’s safe to say that A Thousand Suns is the one and only album of theirs that I don’t mind occasionally listening to. It’s also safe to say that I’d probably personally find LP to be much more palatable without Michael Shinoda’s rapping.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I've talked with people who worked on Aja... I know what an incredible production team they had behind them. I can appreciate the stellar production, it truly is amazing. I can appreciate their abilities as incredible musicians. That's where I drop off.

I have a similar thing with The Police. I've tried... I recognize and respect the incredible aspects of their music. Outside of a couple songs off Synchronicity, I just can't stand listening to it. I know, Stewart Copeland is a virtuoso. So is Thundercat, but I'd rather listen to noise.

I also can't get into SRV. I have respect for him, but I just do not like hearing him play... Eric Clapton's guitar tone makes me want to scream. Carlos Santana can play, but I'd prefer he do it somewhere where I don't have to hear it. Hell, even John Mayer is an amazing guitarist, but if that's "good music," I fucking hate good music. Mariah Carey has one of the most incredible singing voices anyone has ever been gifted with, so it's torture to hear her belt out these bullshit songs. Everyone in Dave Matthews Band is a great musician, but fuck me sideways with a barbershop pole before you make me listen to their boring music.

Maybe it's a mood thing with Steely Dan. Maybe I just don't ever "feel" the way that their music appeals to. Music always works with mood, yeah, sometimes it's transformative... the right song at the right time can improve your day.. but sometimes it's just alien to me. Maybe it's one element that sours it for me... I mean, I might actually love The Police if Sting wasn't the vocalist... his faux reggae infused style just makes me feel crazy. With Steely Dan, it's so many things that rub me the wrong way... I don't know, it just seems fitting that they named themselves after a dildo.

Whenever I want to be wowed by incredible musicians, I generally turn to jazz or classical or... in the rock realm, Hendrix.
    My POINT, though, was that personal preference for mood music does not = "shit" music.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well, I saw this in the Linkin Park thread and decided not to post anything about it there, but given that this is the shitty music thread and that the two previous pages have been about LP

Also, LP has reached legend status 15 years ago, not many artist can say that. They had the liberty to do ANYTHING, hell, many many people are fucking eating Heavy up, because LP is like the modern Rolling Stones, they can't fucking fade out even if they deliberately tried to.
    LP reached legend status? LP is like the modern Rolling Stones? ...pass the crack, bro!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Maroon Five are more important than Lincoln Park. In THIS COUNTRY, anyway.

And that's not saying I like Maroon Five; but maybe LP are really big in Hungary.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    regarding steely dan -- jinsai's friend's description isn't too off (and it made me chuckle). for me, anyway. and not in a negative way. i like steely dan, everything up to gaucho. it reminds me of sitting in a huge green montego in the early 80's waiting for my dad to come out of a dive bar. the bar sign and the word "shuffleboard" are ingrained in my mind, and sd's music takes me there. and, yes, that means kenny loggins cuts and cheesy half-buttoned shirts. i have the same association with the doobie brothers, another favorite of mine.

so this is solely me.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    My POINT, though, was that personal preference for mood music does not = "shit" music.
    That's true. On a technical level they're great. I just cannot stand it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    regarding steely dan -- jinsai's friend's description isn't too off (and it made me chuckle). for me, anyway. and not in a negative way. i like steely dan, everything up to gaucho. it reminds me of sitting in a huge green montego in the early 80's waiting for my dad to come out of a dive bar. the bar sign and the word "shuffleboard" are ingrained in my mind, and sd's music takes me there. and, yes, that means kenny loggins cuts and cheesy half-buttoned shirts. i have the same association with the doobie brothers, another favorite of mine.

so this is solely me.
    But the Aja Steely Dan is not the same as The Royal Scam Steely Dan or the Pretzel Logic Steely Dan or the Do It Again Steely Dan etc. They're a really diverse band if you consider their whole history. I can't say that about the Doobies, except the Michael McDonald shift when I stopped hating them like I did in High School (Jesus isn't just alright with me barf). Steely Dan is a really SMART band, two really BRILLIANT guys. Boiling then down to a razor blade necklace (that was totally 70s, not a coke spoon) on a hairy chest, to me, is a mischaracterization by people who weren't there.

In 1977, this was fucking brilliant:

Hairy chest and Italian horn gold necklace in 1977? Yeah, that was this:

Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Musical taste is subjective, not sure what you are on about. I do like those records, but I also consider NIN to be my favorite "band", so you have to reach big if you want to twist it around, trying to prove I have an objectively bad taste when I love the same shit as you do as well.

And why would my birthday not matter? Teenage years are pretty influential for every individual, so the place and circumstances you get to experience it shapes you greatly. I remember, I was around 17 when my doc (had a sore throat or something) randomly told me to enjoy myself because this is the most important time of my life. I was like wtf, but in hindsight I understand what he meant (in the context he meant it, of course). It was like a carefree sandbag mode of acting like adults. Our core friend circle is still based on high-school acquintances, and having our first 5 years reunion last year was some The Offsrping - The Kids Aren't Alright shit right there.
    Among other things, music you were hooked on so much are bound to be close to your heart. My father was listening to a bunch of songs to which they were acting all rebellious against the Communist regime, and why I dug some of those, they could never have the same impact on me, as it was him and his friends who got beaten the fuck up by the police after those concerts and such. While my experience with LP was less dramatic, as I was among the first generation to be born into democracy and capitalism, I still hold it dear. The sole reason I'll probably go to their show at VOLT is because a friend of mine is so adamant about it. He hasn't listened to anything since M2M (refuses to) and our taste differs quite a bit, as I am more into melodic stuff, while he digs more technical music, HT and Meteora were still enough to make him buy an obnoxiously overpriced ticket blindly. So yes, age does not matter.

And no, you can't ignore Linkin Park if you are discussing early 2000 music, because you can't ignore nu-metal. While nu-metal has been in the works for way earlier than the 2000s, they exploded into the mainstream back then. Whether it was one hit wonders (Crazy Town), hip-hop oriented (Limp Bizkit), metal oriented (Slipknot) or I can't even defy what-oriented (POD, Papa Roach) it was fucking everywhere. Kids with SOAD-LP-Korn-Slipknot shirts, baseball hats with LB logos and all the smuggling of CDs with pirated nu metal songs. It was the last time heavy music was commercial TV and radio friendly.

Wow bud, which one do you hate more? Dry statistics or undeniable mainstream domination? You might've forgotten or chose to ignore the latter, so let's summon the numbers, shall we? Do you want to know the three most successful bands/performers from 2000-2004 excluding The Beatles? Of course you don't, because they were Eminem, Linkin Park and Avril Lavigne. Britney Spears.

Linkin Park is the only metal band who sold at least 10 million copies of a record in the 2000s. Linkin Park is the only metal band for 17 years now, who managed to sell more copies in a given year than anyone else in the world. Linkin Park is the most commercially successful metal band of the 2000s, and they did the whole feat within 4 years.

Damn dude, did you get consumed by alternative facts or what happened? You had a cryofreeze? Even the latter is not an excuse, because there are plenty of ways to educate yourself on what went down in early 2000 if you somehow missed it, let alone be so confident in claiming such bullshit.

Well, if you are 40 then I guess listening to a cassette is about as interesting as traveling by a car, but compared to where the technology now, cassettes and VHSs seem like dinosaur stuff. And it's pretty funny imo to think about such a hip band as LP being on a cassette.

And not being a fan does not mean I can't be over the moon for some of their work. I consider myself a NIN fan, because I am still enjoying everything they put out, I am investing (and enjoying, this is the key part) myself in some discussion about their music (or just reading others theories about their stuff), crossing my fingers to see them again live, instabuying my tickets, and overall, feeling like that they define everything I love and want from music as an art. While HT and Meteora are such records (not surprisingly, given how the guys are a fan of NIN, obviously borrowing ideas and ways to approach their music), their later work never really resonated with me. NIN did a bunch of weird and different stuff and remained NIN; LP did the same, but they abandoned themselves - which is their choice and I won't judge them for it.

I like the fact that you are so blatantly and factually wrong, given your arrogance in other areas of life, but I won't jump on the easy (and cheap) opportunity to try to make a connection, because your basic incomprehension about music does not say anything else about you, and I can only hope that when you are as adamant about spreading your views on other topics, you actually know what you are talking about, unlike here. You are not entirely wrong about one thing though, which is the quality of the first two Linkin Park records. That is a subjective question, which can not really be debunked by facts, so to that one I have to agree to disagree with. It's definitely an interesting topic, but I think discussing it with someone who thinks Linkin Park was not influential in the music industry in the early 2000s would be like discussing racism with a KKK member - the whole premise is doomed. So let's just agree you think that they are overhyped shit, while I think they are nearly perfect, in their genre especially.

Now, you can pick one of the following:
    - Say that you were just trolling and I got Jebaited, and I just typed out stuff you knew already, so jokes on me. You got me, bud!
    - Say that sale records are manipulated by the Illuminati, you never even heard a nu-metal song (let alone a Linkin Park one) in the early 2000s and that your beloved garage band who made a breakthrough performance in front of 136 attendants in your local bar was more influential and prominent in the early 2000s than this Linkin Park I keep mentioning.
    - Given the length of my post and me being prone to phrase certain sentences, not ideally since my brain tends to fuck me over when it comes to English, just grab one or two sentences or words out of context and twist them around so you can sound smart or even right.
    - Resort to the classic "wow, you are so wrong and I am so right that I won't even try to argue your points, because I am right". If someone could win the freakin' presidential election with this same tactic, then I am sure a mere argument on an online board is easy-peasy for this method.
    - Surprise me!

In any case, my somewhat qualified advice to you is to leave your presumptions and judgements at the door. You made an ass out of yourself just because you don't like me for not seeing eye to in an entirely different topic, so you came in here all trigger-happy to "pwn me", because that would've made you even more validated in our argument from a... week ago or so? For someone campaigning against a short-minded, hateful individual who holds grudges worse than a little child, you sure show your peers how a normal, adult human being should behave! Maybe when you reach the depths of trying to make assumptions based on me (or anyone else, for that matter) liking two of the most famous records in the early 2000s, you should sprinkle some water onto your face. We have such liberal and accepting threads on this board where gay and transgender people can gather and discuss stuff, and I am being bashed out of spite for liking a certain kind of music?! ayyyyyyy
    Hazekiah, is that you?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Fuck. I'd take Poison over Wilko. At least they can write a hook.
    Fuck, I'd take Wilco

Meaningless, earnest, honest
    Fuck yeah.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Motley Crue were one of the better cock-rock bands. They weren't Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, GN'R or Van Halen, but they had some solid songs.
    The drums sound so lush on this, and that riff! gold.

again, that riff:

closest to legit metal they ever made? Certainly could be their 2nd heaviest song after Red Hot. This video is amazing for like 30 different reasons also:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    When I was a kid, someone gave me a cassette copy of Cherry Pie by Warrant. I hadn't heard much "new" rock music at that point, so I listened to it and enjoyed some moments on it.. I especially liked the "secret track" where it cobbled together a bunch of instances where the singer said the word "fuck"

Then I stopped being ten years old and realized Warrant sucked... and yet they're still infinitely cooler than Linkin Park
    Still have a place in my heart for their first single. Has some interesting changes in it, and a very memorable chorus:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    RE: Brett Michaels. He gets a lot of shit, but he seems like he is a nice guy, is a good frontman/entertainer and has sang on some good tunes. Listen to "Ride the Wind" without your foot tapping.

Poison is def. a bit of a punchline, but they were the first band I ever got into. Parents too me to see them when I was 9 with Tesla & Slaughter! They were horrified by the girl standing in front of us the whole show in a blsck leather thong jumpsuit (of course I remember that...how could that not be seared into the memory of a 9 year old boy?)

Prolly his most sincere vocal delivery...the band's sound is more mature (for them) here too:

I don't know why Bret is talking about "the streets" (prolly b/c they didn't their own songs really), but this still rules:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Hearing Limb Bizkit is making me curious how many shotguns I can fit into my mouth.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Fuck, I'd take Wilco

Meaningless, earnest, honest
    Fuck yeah.
    One of those bands I tried to get into but couldn't.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Hairy chest and Italian horn gold necklace in 1977? Yeah, that was this:
    i know the saturday night fever reference as well as anyone. but the tone of such stuff takes me there. like that ambrosia song. or england dan. even some earth wind and fire singles.
    Last edited by kel; 02-18-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    LP reached legend status? LP is like the modern Rolling Stones? ...pass the crack, bro!
    They can make whatever music they want, and it will sell.
    Mainstream media still loves them.
    They can fill any arena and can headline any festival to this day, and I send you 5$ the first time a festival won't mention their name at the top (of that day).
    They keep doing charity stuff and events. Actors win Oscars on the fact alone that they did gruesome things to play their role (ie. losing a lot of weight), so yeah, if you want legend status, you can't just make good or popular music.
    They also involve themselves in political and globalisation stuff.

You can frown and hate how the "new" Rolling Stones is Linkin Park instead of some quality stuff, but that won't change the fact. Of course, "being the Rolling Stones" means something different than beng the Rolling Stones in their time. There are no more rock idols, Linkin Park doesn't represent a lifestyle, etc. But the same way Metallica still sells a festival day to this day, Linkin Park will do the same 15 years from now as well.

I hear some new good rock/metal music now and there, but I haven't heard of any mainstream breakthrough bands lately. The mainstream metal news were shaken by the new records of Korn and Metallica, and the announcement of the new SOAD record. It's sad, but true. Other metal artists are stuck in their own circle - which is fine, many great metal bands tour the world and sell records successfully, but I wish we had new blood coming in to the mainstream as well. I like pop, EDM, etc., I like songs like Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You and such, but sometimes I wish a new metal band would just explode into mainstream, shaking up the current bestsellers.

But hey, I bite. Tell me, who else will have such an evergreen status as the likes of Rolling Stones from artists in the rock or metal genres? Metallica is a given I think, I'd add Radiohead too. I'd also like you to:
    - exclude pop-rock, because I believe that's a bit cheating. Pop has been a genre that always dominated music, no matter the time, and even with all the commercial elements of nu-metal, that was still miles heavier than Coldplay.
    - tell me your thoughts why Linkin Park does not fit in that group.

Also, don't get hooked on Rolling Stones, I could've said other bands which made such a name for themselves once, that they could release a 5 hour long country record, people would still go and fucking watch them live.

Too bad it's impossible to discuss music in a civil way, because many people represents a circle of hate of rap-->pop-->rock/metal--->electronic, and everyone thinks their shit is the quality one, while other genres has no quality, and shit just gets deeper when people start prejudicing against their genre's subgenres, because X kind of rap/pop/rock-metal/electronic is absolute garbage compared to the Y variation of it and vice versa. Like, the moment I would say that I believe Kanye produced some incredible tracks, at least 3 people would jump at me, enlightening me that real music is Pink Floyd and Queen.
    Sorry for taking us off the rails here, but with the paradigm shift over the last 20 or so years from CDs to MP3s now to subscription streaming, would anyone hit the same level of success today… at least as far as commercial album sales are concerned? The era of the casual music listener having to buy the physical album for $15 to get the couple of radio hits they want is over. Trent was spot-on with this comment a few years back,

“music IS free whether you want to believe that or not. Every piece of music you can think of is available free right now a click away.”

I honestly don’t keep up with most modern music, but is any artist selling albums into the millions today? I would think very few command those numbers except for maybe the poppiest of pop and hip hop stars like Taylor Swift or Kanye.

Linkin Park is sill around today, and while their last album wasn’t a commercial flop by any stretch, I don’t think it did nearly as well as most of their prior albums here in the US. A buddy of mine is a big LP fan, it’s noteworthy to say he is almost 20 years younger than myself. So anyway, he has made sure that over the course of our kickin’ it time that I've heard his LP collection, on several occasions. It’s safe to say that A Thousand Suns is the one and only album of theirs that I don’t mind occasionally listening to. It’s also safe to say that I’d probably personally find LP to be much more palatable without Michael Shinoda’s rapping.
    I just checked, LP has 69 million + followers on Facebook. SOAD, who made more mature songs and lyrics have 20. Now, SOAD is godawfully successfull as well, I'm just saying that the power of Linkin Park is ridiculous, if you think about the fact that Rihanna, one of the biggest pop stars of our era has 81 million followers.

They will never ever sell as many records as they did, and they clearly don't want to. You said you liked the Suns record. You see, that's one of the appeal of LP. They hooked in millions of teens with their first two records, and now they make vastly different records which are bound to click with people with other tastes. My friend said he never listened to anything after M2M because "it's fcuking garbage". Yet, he was over the moon, just like me, when it was announced they are coming to Hungary for the first time ever. Hell, I am the one hesitating buying a ticket, when he already told me he is going, 150%. Why? Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Why will Linkin Park headline every goddamn festival 5-10-15 years from now? Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Whether they are talented or not, one thing no one can deny: they were at the right place at the right time.

And no, Linkin Park is not around anymore. Even if their new record sold 8 billion copies (starving African kids bought 2!!), it wouldn't do jackshit for up and coming metal artists. Heavy is not even pop-rock, it's pop. The Weeknd makes heavier music than Heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Hazekiah, is that you?
    Based on the introductory section on Wikipedia, this seems flattering. What's the catch?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It is Hazekiah!!!!!!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ah, I found him now. Seems like a top-notch dude, just like me!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Still have a place in my heart for their first single. Has some interesting changes in it, and a very memorable chorus:

And to think, The Cars had the nerve to go back in time and rip them off:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Hearing Limb Bizkit is making me curious how many shotguns I can fit into my mouth.

Jesus Christ. Some of Durst's "vocals" don't bother me. But this...wow.

I would have loved to hear this band with a real vocalist during the nu-metal days (not today). They might have been way way better artistically. The instrumentation in this and alot of LB songs are pretty good if not great for the genre. It's Durst that kills it. I'm aware this is not a groundbreaking revelation.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I would have loved to hear this band with a real vocalist during the nu-metal days (not today). They might have been way way better artistically. The instrumentation in this and alot of LB songs are pretty good if not great for the genre. It's Durst that kills it. I'm aware this is not a groundbreaking revelation.
    Wow. Last time I heard that Bill Clinton was President.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Eyy, I dig him in Build A Bridge!

Also, it's rather pointless to criticize Fred about making Limp Bizkit for what it is. While it was Durst that killed LB songs for you, it was also him who made nu metal appealing to many folks who usually could not have bothered with such music. All the basketball players in our school were LB fans, haha.

Basically, everyone liked Linkin Park (and Crazy Town's Butterfly, haha, what a song that was back then), and you could branch out to Korn, SOAD, Slipknot or Limp Bizkit, depending what appealed to you more. But Fred made that hip-hop style work, even with his godawful lyrics and subpar vocals, so kudos to him. Now, let's not talk about Gold Cobra, however, as that was... yeah... I liked Why Try though, it was heavy and had Durst's trademark, arrogant cockcuscker vibe.

Damn, there was a day when Slipknot songs were pushing for the top of the charts in music televisions - probably the least commercially tailored and most technical nu metal band with SOAD.