Page 61 of 131 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 3921

Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I liked Superjoint Ritual, it's not awesome or anything but i consider them a decent Anselmo project.
    Down are great, i still not heard the latest album but it's on the waiting list ready to go.
    Hellyeah and Damageplan are "meh", i don't dislike them but i don't care much for them, i agree that the vocalist from Hellyeah, ruins most of their songs...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    No, Vinnie should not be let off the hook for being part of such garbage. He may be a good drummer but he also has a pair of ears and if he thinks Hellyeah is good music - which I assume he does - then that devalues his ability and reputation. Josh Freese is a career session musician, he can play for whomever he likes without losing points; whereas Vinnie has made Hellyeah his primary musical statement. Everyone involved in Hellyeah has taken a massive shit on their own musical trajectory, and the metal scene knows this.

Anselmo has had his ups and downs, but has never sunk this low, output-wise. I don't have much love for Anselmo, I think he's a self-righteous asshole, but his work with Pantera at their peak is Classic. He has never sold out like these guys have, he has always maintained a musical integrity.

At least if Hellyeah had written some big-ass catchy radio rock anthems, it would be more forgivable. Mostly this stuff is forgettable.
    I think I'll be checking out some FFDP next... I have heard some of their songs and thought they were trash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I'm sure you know how much garbage Josh Freese is associated with.
    Ahem...

Although, as people have said, he is a session musician, so it is understandable why he's appeared on such shite (Seriously Rivers, what the fuck was Raditude and why do you think its good)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'll add TNT to the list:

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Re: Josh & garbage music...

A month ago he posted on instagram: "i love the miley cyrus/hannah montana songs i've played on (3 in total, i think?) and know all the words." (a quote from longer #IamNotCool post)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i fucking hate weezer. i was at a private show right before 'raditude' came out and i was drunk enough to have fun during their hits (janelle monae was getting down in the crowd, too), but sober they're insufferable.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i fucking hate weezer. i was at a private show right before 'raditude' came out and i was drunk enough to have fun during their hits (janelle monae was getting down in the crowd, too), but sober they're insufferable.
    Something I've always thought about Weezer was that they were bro rock for hipsters basically. Same approach and general attitude but dressed in thick rimmed glasses, flannel, geeky references, etc. If people like them that's fine but I've never really seen them as more than that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Something I've always thought about Weezer was that they were bro rock for hipsters basically. Same approach and general attitude but dressed in thick rimmed glasses, flannel, geeky references, etc. If people like them that's fine but I've never really seen them as more than that.
    Nah, they were far from that when it came to their first album and follow up Pinkerton. Pinkerton is their masterpiece and one where Rivers completely wore his heart on his sleeve with that album but it also tore Rivers apart creatively when it was deemed a failure upon it's release only to be beloved by fans years later after Rivers completely disregarded it. I'd say alongside Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary It was incredibly influential on the emo genre for years to come. I know everyone praises Pinkerton to death but there's a reason why it's so appreciated. It's noisy as hell and the production really stands out to me, alongside Cuomo's confessional lyrics.

It's a shame that shit like Beverley Hills and albums like Raditude followed for years to come. I can totally see where you get that vibe from songs and albums like that. I don't know where their heads are at these days with creating things like cruises....but at least their last album had some decent moments. Nothing like the good ol' days really.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i've listened to pinkerton. it sounds like a tantrum and doesn't deserve it's infamy.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Nah, they were far from that when it came to their first album and follow up Pinkerton. Pinkerton is their masterpiece and one where Rivers completely wore his heart on his sleeve with that album but it also tore Rivers apart creatively when it was deemed a failure upon it's release only to be beloved by fans years later after Rivers completely disregarded it. I'd say alongside Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary It was incredibly influential on the emo genre for years to come. I know everyone praises Pinkerton to death but there's a reason why it's so appreciated. It's noisy as hell and the production really stands out to me, alongside Cuomo's confessional lyrics.

It's a shame that shit like Beverley Hills and albums like Raditude followed for years to come. I can totally see where you get that vibe from songs and albums like that. I don't know where their heads are at these days with creating things like cruises....but at least their last album had some decent moments. Nothing like the good ol' days really.
    Okay I've never heard Pinkerton in my life and just put it on, that Cars synth at the beginning definitely is not the kind of thing I'd have expected. I might actually really like this, especially considering I've got a great big ole soft spot in my heart for the actual emo scene (come at me, I'll probably buckle and cry).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Okay I've never heard Pinkerton in my life and just put it on, that Cars synth at the beginning definitely is not the kind of thing I'd have expected. I might actually really like this, especially considering I've got a great big ole soft spot in my heart for the actual emo scene (come at me, I'll probably buckle and cry).
    Yeah, considering that Ric Ocasek produced their first record it's easy to see the Cars synth style sneaking in...but I mean, the drums on that song man. They're so loud and I totally related to those lyrics the first time I heard them. I think a lot of what kept Weezer such a great band was bassist Matt Sharp as he was only with the band for those first two records and in my humble opinion might've been the glue that kept them as such a unique band around that time. Matt's work with the Rentals (his solo group) is really good too.

Songs like El Scorcho, Pink Triangle and Why Bother? really stand out too. Hope you enjoy! It's far from the "I CAN'T STOP PARTYIN PARTYIN" material that Rivers regurgitates to the masses now.

...and I'm with you. I loved the emo scene. Bands like the Hotelier and World is a Beautiful Place are bringing back a revival of sorts.

i've listened to pinkerton. it sounds like a tantrum and doesn't deserve it's infamy.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 04-09-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i listened to "tired of sex" for the first time in probably ten years. okay. it sounds nothing like weezer.

it reminds me of 'blank wave arcade' kind of.

i have no shame in eating my words. i'll give the record another chance.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    i listened to "tired of sex" for the first time in probably ten years. okay. it sounds nothing like weezer.

it reminds me of 'blank wave arcade' kind of.

i have no shame in eating my words. i'll give the record another chance.
    oh I was totally just giving you shit, hopefully that .gif didn't come across as too snarky. =]

but yeah, if you don't like Weezer in the first place I can see Pinkerton turning people off and just not having anything to do with it...but there really are some moments of brilliance on the record in the song writing and how the songs sound. There's something to be said about how raw everything is...it just feels very much like a live record but there's all these different elements to little detail that make it much more than a "garage band." I don't know, it's hard to put my finger on it. Sure songs like "the Good Life" have that current kind of Weezer element to them....but even on this album it feels much more melancholy and personal than in an ironic way.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Early Weezer was great stuff. Everything from Blue to Maladroit was extremely impressive and different. I wish they would've stayed like that. I still enjoy them now but no one admits they do after make Believe. I thought the Red Album was good. I liked a few songs from Raditude but Hurley was an absolute pile of crap save for Memories.

On topic with emo, how could someone not mention how great Sunny Day Real Estate is around here?
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-09-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Early Weezer was great stuff. Everything from Blue to Maladroit was extremely impressive and different. I wish they would've stayed like that. I still enjoy them now but no one admits they do after make Believe. I thought the Red Album was good. I liked a few songs from Raditude but Hurley was an absolute pile of crap save for Memories.

On topic with emo, how could someone not mention how great Sunny Day Real Estate is around herw?
    I actually did mention Sunny Day Real Estate in my defense of Weezer! Haha. Diary and especially the Pink Album got me through a pretty horrible break up and some gloomy weather. It's hard for me to hear a Sunny Day Real Estate and not picture rain clouds these days.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    On topic with emo, how could someone not mention how great Sunny Day Real Estate is around here?
    I actually did mention Sunny Day Real Estate in my defense of Weezer! Haha. Diary and especially the Pink Album got me through a pretty horrible break up and some gloomy weather. It's hard for me to hear a Sunny Day Real Estate and not picture rain clouds these days.
    i discovered Sunny Day because "8" was on the batman forever soundtrack (also how i got into pj harvey, massive attack, etc.) and i have loved them ever since. i even like "the rising tide" though it's not as good as their first two albums or "how it feels to be something on" (which is in a bit of a different world than the first two but still beautiful). still trying to get "how it feels" on vinyl for a better price than $80 :/
    i wish this discussion wasn't happening in the shitty music thread, haha.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i wish this discussion wasn't happening in the shitty music thread, haha.
    Does a thread for them exist? We could easily migrate after creation?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Does a thread for them exist? We could easily migrate after creation?
    not that i can remember. you should make one!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    oh I was totally just giving you shit, hopefully that .gif didn't come across as too snarky. =]
    nah, it was appropriate. i love enjoying past catalogs after i've seen a band. 'pinkerton' doesn't suck, but it also doesn't deserve the retrospective rollingstone perfect score.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I have an unreasonable and unfounded hate for AC/DC. It's not for any particular reason. I just never got into them, and think they've just become that go-to band whenever you need a dumb and easily-identified rock and roll song in your trailer or commercial or montage or whatever, and I cringe EVERY time. It's SO corny. "SHOOT TO KIIIIIIILL!" "BACK IN BLAAAACK!" FUUUUU-

I'm sure they're great, it's cool that other people are fans of theirs, and I know they're a big part of (totally not) American music and all, but damn. I'm just not feeling it. :P
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-12-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Because Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't particularly like AC/DC either. It does still seem to be a lot of peoples' go-to for edgy rebellious rock and roll and is most certainly overplayed. That's irritating in of itself. There is no doubt that when their earliest material was first released it was shocking and affecting and paved the way for much of the heavy music we enjoy today. For me though, it just doesn't hold up and is not heavy enough for my tastes. Basically if these trailers, ads or whatever are trying to be edgy I think they can definitely use something more crazy and unexpected. Then again, their main point is to appeal to and reach as many people as possible and that's achieved by using something instantly recognizable or iconic like AC/DC. I get it. However, I think the main deal breaker for me though is the lead singer's voice whatever his name is. I hear it and I go "Seriously?" That is one part about them I really can't stand and is enough of a deal breaker by itself for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I know they're a big part of American music
    You mean as far as America loves the shit out of them because they're legendary?

They're Australian.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I love hard-rock/guitar rock, but I was never that into AC/DC--could really take them or leave them. If they're on the radio I'll listen, but I never listen to them otherwise. They're just not that interesting to me. Compared to bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc., they're just not that great.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    You mean as far as America loves the shit out of them because they're legendary?

They're Australian.
    EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE. Okay, so I know nothing about them, at all. Still garbage, though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Britney Spears has always sucked and this cover (of a very good song) is fucking terrible:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wasn't sure whether to put this in the controversial music opinions thread or not

So Green Day were inducted into the RnRHoF by FALL OUT BOY
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fame-20150418

Wonderful influencing there guys!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    fall out boy are so harmless and serve their purpose writing catchy enough songs.

hating on them feels like something that's only valid to rival lunch tables in the school cafeteria.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wasn't sure whether to put this in the controversial music opinions thread or not

So Green Day were inducted into the RnRHoF by FALL OUT BOY
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-fame-20150418

Wonderful influencing there guys!
    If I was an artist and I was to be inducted by Smiley Virus and Fall Out Boy.... I just won't show up at all. What a fucking sham.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    If I was an artist and I was to be inducted by Smiley Virus and Fall Out Boy.... I just won't show up at all. What a fucking sham.
    To be fair, I'm not sure Green Day had a problem with them. I don't know how it works, do you get to choose who inducts you? I noticed Dave Grohl turned up to play with Joan Jett, Jesus does that man ever pass up a chance of some publicity?
    I was thinking ahead to a few years when I'm sure Radiohead will inevitably be inducted and since Thom Yorke is the type to not turn up to this sort of thing, will they insult them by having them inducted in absence by Coldplay? I can honestly see that happening
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-19-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm getting too old for this board.

reading the words "smiley virus" (and this is the only place i've seen such banality) here is so fucking depressing.

really? pick your fucking battles and grow up.