Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i trust you've seen Event Horizon.

Also, Let The Right One In

Have you guys seen V/H/S: Viral yet?

It doesn't come out until november 23 but it's floating around the internet.
    I think this is on purpose...it goes with the title and theme.

Anyway it is SO fucking awesome.

Also, i LOVED The Bay. Have you guys watched that one?
    Let the Right One In is and has been my favorite vampire movie for years now, bought it at a Blockbuster (remember those?) the year it came out.

Event Horizon was one of the hugest disappointments I've had with horror; I've played a ton of horror games and remember hearing everyone say how it influenced Dead Space (something I also didn't find scary even remotely, actually) and people talk EH up like you wouldn't believe on Reddit and other sites. After hearing it built up as one of the best sci-fi horror films ever (I've seen people call it better than Alien, which is an outrageous claim) I finally had to see it and . . . it felt like a typical, cheap horror movie, with a sci-fi setting. Sam Neil was good, Fishburne was good, etc., the stereotypical black guy was just embarrassing, the actual horror in the movie seemed done before and in general it felt like something held back by its budget like no one's business. I don't know, a lot of what people have said is that it was so effective because they expected a sci-fi film and got a horror movie instead, but any surprise is gone, and the best parts of the film have been referenced and mentioned so much that after finally seeing them, they felt less impacting than fans make it sound (the "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see" and footage of the original crew comes to mind; I spent most of the film waiting for those moments and when they finally came, they weren't as special as I'd hoped), and it even has the cliche "they escaped the monster -- wait, no they didn't!!! -- wait, yes they did, that was a dream!" shit that I've always loathed.

I actually still haven't seen V/H/S, but plan to. Aren't all the sequels supposed to be fairly bad though?

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Let the Right One In is and has been my favorite vampire movie for years now, bought it at a Blockbuster (remember those?) the year it came out.

Event Horizon was one of the hugest disappointments I've had with horror; I've played a ton of horror games and remember hearing everyone say how it influenced Dead Space (something I also didn't find scary even remotely, actually) and people talk EH up like you wouldn't believe on Reddit and other sites. After hearing it built up as one of the best sci-fi horror films ever (I've seen people call it better than Alien, which is an outrageous claim) I finally had to see it and . . . it felt like a typical, cheap horror movie, with a sci-fi setting. Sam Neil was good, Fishburne was good, etc., the stereotypical black guy was just embarrassing, the actual horror in the movie seemed done before and in general it felt like something held back by its budget like no one's business. I don't know, a lot of what people have said is that it was so effective because they expected a sci-fi film and got a horror movie instead, but any surprise is gone, and the best parts of the film have been referenced and mentioned so much that after finally seeing them, they felt less impacting than fans make it sound (the "Where we're going we won't need eyes to see" and footage of the original crew comes to mind; I spent most of the film waiting for those moments and when they finally came, they weren't as special as I'd hoped), and it even has the cliche "they escaped the monster -- wait, no they didn't!!! -- wait, yes they did, that was a dream!" shit that I've always loathed.

I actually still haven't seen V/H/S, but plan to. Aren't all the sequels supposed to be fairly bad though?
    wow...i'm just trying to reconcile all the shit you said about event horizon...ahem...lolz. to each his own i suppose. i fucking LOVE it.

ummm....VHS 3 is one of the most amazing and unique horror films i've seen of late. the second one is better then the first one.
    the third one doesn't even come out in the theater till late november, but you can get it if (full quality version) you look hard enough. i honestly think this is part of the marketing as it's called VIRAL, after all.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    wow...i'm just trying to reconcile all the shit you said about event horizon...ahem...lolz. to each his own i suppose. i fucking LOVE it.
    No offense meant at all man, I'm glad you like it, I just wish I did too! I know it's far from the popular opinion.

Have you seen Pandorum, by the way? I don't know if it fully fits as horror, but it fits the sci-fi horror genre very well and reminds me of Event Horizon in a lot of ways. I'm not a huge fan of it or anything, but I do remember finding it entertaining.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

ummm....VHS 3 is one of the most amazing and unique horror films i've seen of late. the second one is better then the first one.
    the third one doesn't even come out in the theater till late november, but you can get it if (full quality version) you look hard enough. i honestly think this is part of the marketing as it's called VIRAL, after all.
    I watched VHS viral and thought it was the worst. First one had decent scary stories.
    Now we have a magician with a magic cloak that kills people. Didn't feel like found footage at all. Too polished.
    I barely managed through the second story with the portals or whatnot.

I loved the first movie as well as the second but Viral was a miss for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oof, I feel you on Event Horizon- I saw it for the first time last year (with no idea of what I was getting into) and I just wound up vastly disappointed. I loved it.....up until they started explaining things. It was all downhill from there imho

This October though, I managed to get through 38 horror/thriller films for Halloween (not too shabby compared to last year's 16...eesh) But wound up finishing on The Changeling- something about that movie just really gets under my skin...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klang View Post
    But wound up finishing on The Changeling- something about that movie just really gets under my skin...
    Haha, just watched that last night after the wife picked it up from the library.

George C. Scott was such a badass. He always managed to look like an inquisitive, sophisticated grandfather in his later years.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Devil Rides Out if you fancy a bit of suave English high society satanist horror

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Easily my all time favorite horror film:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Easily my all time favorite horror film:

The practical effects in the movie are still repulsive.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    it's one of the best films ever made. I hate fanboys who say halloween 5 is one of the best ever (or whatever) but The Thing is truly amazing

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    it's one of the best films ever made. I hate fanboys who say halloween 5 is one of the best ever (or whatever) but The Thing is truly amazing
    It's great and the effects are truly a test of time. I love most of Carpenter's work.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yesterday's viewing:

All Hallow's Eve (pretty bad)
    Halloween 4 and 5 (5 was better than I remembered it to me)
    The Masque of the Red Death (heh, never picked up on how sexual this was when I was younger)
    Grave Encounters (didn't find it as scary this time around :/)
    Frankenstein Created Woman (thought it was a first time viewing, then I realised I had seen it before. Still pretty good.)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (fell asleep in the middle of this, heh).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Celebrated Halloween this year the same way I have for the past decade or so, watching 'Dawn Of The Dead' ('78). This year it was the International Cut -- "edited for European audiences" by Dario Argento, and with a different score performed by Goblin.

Like 'Close Encounters...', I still have a hard time picking which version/edit is my favorite, being that each one has exclusive omit ions/additions. They even use different takes in some of the versions; watch a zombie fall one way in the Theatrical version and a different way in the International cut; fun stuff.

-----------

I enjoy horror that contains "transformations" (not necessarily bodily) and 'The Thing' is still at the pinnacle for me, along with perhaps 'Tetsuo'. A few years back, my wife walked in to the living room during the dog kennel scene, and all she said was, "Does your mother know you grew up watching this shit?"

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I watched The Devil's Backbone w/ the audio commentary track from Guillermo del Toro. The man knows how to create horror yet he's much smarter than that and his commentary showcases why he's one of the best filmmakers working today.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Though it is actually a drama with a strong condemnation of war theme, Johnny Got His Gun is up there on my list of horrifying films.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Enter The Void, it's not a horror film but it will seriously fuck with your head.
    I finally saw that last year. Totally fucked up but... goddamn it... I love it. That was the best film I saw in 2013.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I love Event Horizon, but it hasn't aged well.

Has anyone seen the Director's Cut of Nightbreed yet?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Everything concluded with "The Shinning" last night (day of the Dead in Mexico), it was awesome!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen The Babadook yet? I got very high expectations based on the trailer and it leaked couple of days ago.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    Has anyone seen The Babadook yet? I got very high expectations based on the trailer and it leaked couple of days ago.
    Watched it a few nights ago, extremely polished Australian film with some really outstanding performances. It's definately not your usual haunted house affair. I recommend it.

I also caught Extraterrestrial (Sci-Fi/Horror) which is yet another cabin in the woods style film. Surprisingly better than i expected if you don't take it seriously.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So, has everyone heard about how the new Hellraiser is going to be a prequel? http://io9.com/the-hellraiser-reboot...inh-1654724366

Definitely not all too thrilled about this.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So, has everyone heard about how the new Hellraiser is going to be a prequel? http://io9.com/the-hellraiser-reboot...inh-1654724366
    Stupid idea, but at least it's not a remake (or maybe it is just in disguise)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Stupid idea, but at least it's not a remake (or maybe it is just in disguise)
    Pretty sure it's meant as that; Barker said a few years ago that he was working on a reboot and the URL even refers to it as that. It seems bad in pretty much every way.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone else a serious collector of horror franchises? i have 31 variations of the evil dead films on dvd/bluray and 38 variations of the 'romero films' + related. I should have picked a cheaper hobby..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Devil Rides Out: Outstanding. The kind of film I wish were longer.
    Re-Animator: Good, but not as great as some people like to claim it to be. I would have preferred to see more of the experiments rather than the love drama.
    Braindead: HOLY FUCKING SHIT. This is honestly the first time in a long time I've bursted out laughing loudly to a horror comedy. Everything is so insane. Like watching Evil Dead II for the first time again.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched a few movies during the weekend. Nothing that blew my mind.

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
    Inner Demons
    Beneath

Can't wait until some big titles to be released. Tired of all those crappy movies.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i tried to watch v/h/s and i couldn't do it. i saw the first segment (i guess) and it made me feel gross. i'm glad that woman/demon got vindication, but it ... just no.

i stopped 'the last house on the left' for the same reason.

gonna go shower now.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've always felt that Event Horizon was very underrated as both sci fi and horror. That is all.