Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This feels like it probably should be confession, so I thought that I'd post it here. I suppose part of it feels controversial, since it would most likely never happen, but I'm sure there's a chance that lot of fans might actually like the mere thought of it, at least like it as something to imagine that is.

For quite sometime, I've always felt that seeing Nine Inch Nails touring with Killing Joke would probably be like one of the coolest things ever. I'd be so stoked to see Trent Reznor and Jaz Coleman on the same night.
    I'd love to see NIN tour with Taylor Swift.. Do kind of like a joint Apple Music promotion tour. That would be sweet!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    This feels like it probably should be confession, so I thought that I'd post it here. I suppose part of it feels controversial, since it would most likely never happen, but I'm sure there's a chance that lot of fans might actually like the mere thought of it, at least like it as something to imagine that is.

For quite sometime, I've always felt that seeing Nine Inch Nails touring with Killing Joke would probably be like one of the coolest things ever. I'd be so stoked to see Trent Reznor and Jaz Coleman on the same night.
    I assume you've heard TR's remix of Killing Joke?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh yes, I have, and I've certainly enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I only discovered this today.

Literally the second time listening to it as I'm typing.

Jesus guys, and it ends on that Throw This Away snippet.

I haven't felt this alive since 2011.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    My confession is of a more personal nature.

When NIN were out and about on their Wave Goodbye tour in 2009 and the band were graciously meeting and greeting with people whom donated to the Eric Avery cause, I was lucky enough to catch up with them for the Singapore show at Fort Canning Park. I knew there was an opportunity to have an item signed, but I really had no IDEA what to choose so in the end I didn't choose anything special and I went in with a TDS deluxe package thinking that will do. There were some pretty cool items being produced for autographing at the time I must say, and I was quite impressed! And a little ashamed. Once it came around to my turn at saying a nervous 'hi' and producing something for signing I opened up my shoulder bag and instead of reaching for the CD, I grabbed my headphones instead. These weren't high range headphones either, they were a pair of mediocre Sennheiser eH 250.
    So my confession is: I took no measure to protect the signatures and every one of them but TRs (with a nifty hand drawn NIN logo) have all but faded/worn away. I'm fairly sure this makes me a shitty fan.
    I'd say NOT.

You donated to an awesome charity the band supported, probably gave them a bit of a chuckle, and you got to think of it every time you used your headphones instead of locking them away in a vault or w/e.

Sounds more like a WIN/WIN/WIN to me!

(But you meant Eric de la Cruz, not the bassist for Jane's Addiction, lol.)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post

Really? It was only available in terrible quality for years until TR put it up on remix.nin.com - I love it too.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post

http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

Wonder how many more you're missing :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually like Fixed.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kattastrophic View Post
    I actually like Fixed.
    well no shit, Fixed is great!!!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I don't think I can ever recall a time where I actually didn't mimic the first few seconds of Eraser while using a straw. I've also had that habit and urge since I've listened to Eraser for the very first time. There are also obviously times and places where I'd do it much quieter than I normally would though.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't think I can ever recall a time where I actually didn't mimic the first few seconds of Eraser while using a straw. I've also had that habit and urge since I've listened to Eraser for the very first time. There are also obviously times and places where I'd do it much quieter than I normally would though.
    That's what it always sounded like to me for years, later I found out it's Trent playing a saxophone without a reed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Here’s one. So about a decade ago I had a tradition of going to Fuddruckers once every couple of months for a 1lb burger. On the drive over I’d occasionally pop in The Fragile right disc and play Starfuckers, Inc. I’d shout along with the chorus but change the lyrics to Fuddruckers, Inc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN Confession time.

Well, over the years I have really grown to dislike Down in it, HLAH, Ringfinger and The Only Time - so I guess half of PHM. That said, the vast majority of songs from PHM are so much more enjoyable to listen to in the live format.

I also would be happy if I never heard The Hand that Feeds, Survivalism, Only, and Closer ever again. Particularly live - shit, they have been completely played to death. In my opinion, they are the weaker songs on their respective albums and it has always confused me as to how they are/were so popular. I know that they were intentional 'hits' - but for me, they really missed the mark.

I also confess to having never understood the derision constantly flung at The Slip, Ghosts and Hesitation Marks albums by some so called 'fans'. Have they not truly listened? Have they not allowed themselves to truly experience these albums on a less superficial and more personal level? What a shame.

All three of the albums are well structured, cohesive and beautiful albums musically, conceptually and thematically. Having been around as a NIN fan for 20 years, I truly feel Hesitation Marks is one of the best albums in the NIN catalog - and to be honest it is exactly what I expected from Reznor at that time in his life (+ some). Like everyone, I have changed a lot as a person over that time. I got married, had kids and had several massive changes to my life and career. And clearly so has Reznor. And with that in mind, I feel like the thematic evolution of NIN over time has been quite natural and organic. Somehow, it feels like, well, everything is right where it belongs.

I am also a bit embarrassed to say that not a week has gone by in the last 20 years that I haven't listened to NIN/Reznor (film scores, side projects etc).

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i think hesitation marks is an absolutely excellent album, on every level.
    but i can't listen to it.
    lol.
    it truly blows my mind that nin fans could NOT find this album to be fucking fantastic.

i can't see nin going on. if he is in a good place emotionally now, i personally would rather he stay there. not to say trent is done with music, obvs, but i can't see how nin fits him anymore. and i kinda hope it doesn't, ever again.
    Last edited by Lew; 12-02-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: apparent fetish for the word "personally". sheesh.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    oh yeah, since it IS confessions: i fucking love his teeth. dunno why. just do. (not enough to steal and wear on a necklace lol but aesthetically i dig them).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    i fucking love his teeth. dunno why. just do. (not enough to steal and wear on a necklace lol but aesthetically i dig them).

Wait, WUUUUUUUUUT!?!?!?! Did your autocorrect misspell [With_Teeth] ????...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    oh yeah, since it IS confessions: i fucking love his teeth. dunno why. just do. (not enough to steal and wear on a necklace lol but aesthetically i dig them).
    File under: things a serial killer would say

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Wait, WUUUUUUUUUT!?!?!?! Did your autocorrect misspell [With_Teeth] ????...
    lol. no. some people like eyes, some like body parts (hips tits and ass)...i like teeth and noses. and i just like his teeth. aesthetically.
    why is this so outrageous?
    Last edited by Lew; 12-02-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    lol. no. some people like eyes, some like body parts (hips tits and ass)...i like teeth and noses. and i just like his teeth. aesthetically.
    why is this so outrageous?
    Some people are just into teeth. Shrug.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Some people are just into teeth. Shrug.
    thank you, allegro.

i am into teeth-a...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    lol.
    it truly blows my mind that nin fans could NOT find this album to be fucking fantastic.

i can't see nin going on. if he is in a good place emotionally now, i personally would rather he stay there. not to say trent is done with music, obvs, but i can't see how nin fits him anymore. and i kinda hope it doesn't, ever again.
    Yeah but NIN is Trent and vis versa, his music should be able to adapt with him and if people want to go along for the ride, that's up to them

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Yeah but NIN is Trent and vis versa, his music should be able to adapt with him and if people want to go along for the ride, that's up to them
    well, yeah, worzel...people are free to listen or not listen, as suits them. goes without saying.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    File under: things a serial killer would say
    riiiiiiiiiiight. whatever.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    lol.

So what is nin, to you? A project that turns diaries into synthpop? A band that does anti-label metal? A soloist that creates dystopian futurist alt metal?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So what is nin, to you? A project that turns diaries into synthpop? A band that does anti-label metal? A soloist that creates dystopian futurist alt metal?
    all of them and more...but what nin isn't (to this listener and fan) is a married man with two kids.
    having kids shifts your head space a lot, and shifts your perspective a real fucking lot.
    i just can't see how trent and nin, post parenthood, would have the same persona.
    as for hesitation marks...it seemed to me that this album was representative of him speaking for and through a different set of eyes....the best i can do for comparison is i view hesitation marks as anima (the jungian theory, not the tool album lol) and very female in voice and tone.
    trent reznor is a music man. it seems virtually impossible that he would ever not work in and with and on music...but, again from my personal perspective, i can't see that nin (the entire scope of it) is something he could or would continue working from.

(and, yes, i am basing this on my experience of parent hood and that of all friends and family who became parents...)
    Last edited by Lew; 12-02-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN has always had a particular image, certainly, but it has constantly evolved. I do agree with what you are saying to a point, but then there is very little reason why NIN can't continue to evolve with him as it always has.

Either his fans will follow with him (and a lot of us do - given that a fair chunk of us have evolved over time too), or they won't. As long as he doesn't become a caricature of himself, I can't see there being a problem.

A lot of people were negative in their response to Hesitation Marks, but I think some of that negativity was based on a lack of maturity more than anything else. Shit, if Reznor did another TDS, I would want to cry.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    NIN has always had a particular image, certainly, but it has constantly evolved. I do agree with what you are saying to a point, but then there is very little reason why NIN can't continue to evolve with him as it always has.

Either his fans will follow with him (and a lot of us do - given that a fair chunk of us have evolved over time too), or they won't. As long as he doesn't become a caricature of himself, I can't see there being a problem.

A lot of people were negative in their response to Hesitation Marks, but I think some of that negativity was based on a lack of maturity more than anything else. Shit, if Reznor did another TDS, I would want to cry.
    fair enough and true enough. if anyone could evolve the nin persona (pre hesitation marks) without tripping into regression, it would be mr. teeth-a.
    and yes, he could do it without becoming a caricature.

thanks for that, nowimnothing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wouldn't actually mind that much if he dropped the NIN moniker and just went with his own name, it would allow more freedom to do something more low key and stripped down without a light show without people feeling let down, it may remove certain expectations

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wouldn't actually mind that much if he dropped the NIN moniker and just went with his own name, it would allow more freedom to do something more low key and stripped down without a light show without people feeling let down, it may remove certain expectations
    or to play more saxophone!

:: puts Driver Down on repeat forever ::

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    If he released another groundbreaking masterpiece, that would upset you???? all i know is 21 years later people still talk about TDS....2 years later, HM is already forgotten about...and if people didnt like HM that means they are immature? are you sure you arent rob sheridan? sounds like what robbie boy was crying about on twitter when 'Everything' got blasted....