Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "greatest hits"-tour in europe

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The only thing I want is to catch the A Warm Place/Somewhat Damaged opening combo at one of my shows.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Re a greatest hits tour, I'm just grateful they are touring again and that they are playing close to where I live too. They are big venues hence crowd pleaser set lists, I'm content with that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    What should he do? Have fans vote on the set list like Metallica?
    I vote no.

I don't know what Metallica does specifically, so maybe it's interesting, but having the fans choose all the songs without limitation would mean that Trent and the rest of the band (and Rob) wouldn't get to make artistic decisions or just personal decisions for that matter. I mean, we'd have TPD even though it might sound awful live and Happiness in Slavery even though Trent doesn't feel like singing it anymore (those are just examples, dunno if those factors are actually true).

Sure, some bands are different - they are open to playing anything and making it sound good and having voting could be more of an opportunity than a limitation. But that's not the way NIN (and definitely Trent) has worked so far.

Also, yeah, we'd get like five versions of Starfuckers/Starsuckers, Inc. at one concert for the lulz (or because people are really big fans somewhere?).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    If he did a request thing, fans would still request closer, head like a hole and we'd still moan about no deep cuts.
    Actually, when Metallica did this, most of the votes went to standard, greatest hits songs. Master of Puppets was #1 for a great number of shows. Take a look at this website and you'll see what I mean: http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/. There were very few deep cuts in the top 20, one that comes to mind popping out a lot in those sets was Whiskey in the Jar (awesome video for the song). I suspect that if NIN did this, most votes would go to standard songs, as the average voter wouldn't be your crazy ETSer.

Last page (or two pages ago) I commented on lack of HM in this tour, and since then they've played Disappointed and All Time Low, so it's looking better now.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Actually, when Metallica did this, most of the votes went to standard, greatest hits songs. Master of Puppets was #1 for a great number of shows. Take a look at this website and you'll see what I mean: http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/. There were very few deep cuts in the top 20, one that comes to mind popping out a lot in those sets was Whiskey in the Jar (awesome video for the song). I suspect that if NIN did this, most votes would go to standard songs, as the average voter wouldn't be your crazy ETSer.

Last page (or two pages ago) I commented on lack of HM in this tour, and since then they've played Disappointed and All Time Low, so it's looking better now.
    Some of those European ones have pretty good choices, nice to see Orion and Blackened in there. Some of the ones I'd like to see are The Thing That Should Not Be, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Harvester of Sorrow but they're just bubbling under.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    The only thing I want is to catch the A Warm Place/Somewhat Damaged opening combo at one of my shows.
    and it is fucking glorious, as long as the stupid wankers next to you don't talk during all of AWP. Yes stupid wankers @ Staples Center 2013, I'm talking about you.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I would like a Only Time reworked like Sanctified.

AWP into SD is epic, glad no one talked when I saw them. Hope the fans in Europe get to see it too!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They could throw the sexiest string of songs into the setlist and have All Time Low still end with the Closer tease and then have it lead into Closer which then leads into The Only Time which somehow connects to Sanctified.

That would be great.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Some of those European ones have pretty good choices, nice to see Orion and Blackened in there. Some of the ones I'd like to see are The Thing That Should Not Be, Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Harvester of Sorrow but they're just bubbling under.
    Clearly I need coffee... I read this and thought "WHAT ARE THESE NIN SONGS I'VE NEVER HEARD OF?!!"

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    They could throw the sexiest string of songs into the setlist and have All Time Low still end with the Closer tease and then have it lead into Closer which then leads into The Only Time which somehow connects to Sanctified.
    I got a ladyboner just thinking about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    finally i was totally wrong. at least about the berlin show.
    crazily good setlist (with some stuff from "hesitation marks"):

me i’m not
    sanctified
    the beginning of the end
    march of the pigs
    piggy
    all time low
    dissapointed
    the becoming
    came back haunted
    find my way
    various methods of escape
    survivalism
    the warning
    copy of a
    the great destroyer
    head covers bruise
    beside you in time
    wish
    the hand that feeds
    head like a hole

closer
    the day the world went away
    hurt

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah I've been as critical as anyone of the setlist and structure post Tension but that is pretty respectable.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So a few shows in and the setlists are fine, don't complain after one show. Fucking people....

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    It is still somewhat of a rehash of older and long known setlists, but then again... what songs do people really want to hear apart from 3-4 real gems? A 10 song set consisting of obscurities?

I could care less about piggy, survivalism or the warning, but man... tdtwwa, beside you in time, the becoming and lots of stuff from the new album! that was awesome! and even if I could switch the songs that I did not like, what would I choose? Exactly! Songs that other people think are being played way too often (reptile, gave up, the wretched, terrible lie, etc.).

The sets are great as they are and as long as Trent and Co. pull off a high octane show it's exactly what most of us want to see anyway!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    But those older songs always get played. MotP, HLAH etc... I bet lots of people there have never seen NIN before. If they didn't play them, those fans would feel they didn't get a proper NIN show. My brother is seeing NIN in July with me. It will be my third show, his first. He is a fan, but not hardcore. If they didn't play those songs, he would feel like it wasn't a full NIN experience. They will always play the same older songs every tour. That doesn't make it a greatest hits tour, every band does this. As cool as it would be for NIN to pull out songs like Ringfinger, Ripe, with Decay and then an encore of super cool unreleased tracks, its not going to happen. Playing the hits at every show is also caring for the fans, like those who are into NIN and havent seem them multiple times.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Exactly, so the setlists as they are show a good mixture of their material and to be honest, hlah, thtf and hurt are a great closing to the show and will always be. the fact that they have losen it a bit with closer so late in the set and tdtwwa makes for a nice change though and everyone is getting something out of it.

looking back Oslo and Berlin had the coolest setlists and the longest ones aswell so far. hopefully London gets a proper treatment aswell.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    As little as I enjoy THTF on the album or listening to shows, I'd be lying if seeing it live for the first time last year wasn't really amazing. In general a lot of the hits really are great crowd pleasers, and even when there were hits I'm not the biggest on (like THTF), the sheer level of energy and intense response it elicits from the crowd is really infectious and it's hard not to find yourself getting into it.

A lot of the songs they play so often really are effective, and in the past week or so they've seemed really willing to play around with what goes where and what they play. I know a lot of people are down on The Warning, but I think that's a really awesome thing to throw in, it definitely would be incredibly unexpected to see. I think there's a nice blend right now of songs everyone will enjoy regardless of why they came to the show, and things diehard fans will love, and things people sort of familiar but not quite super into it will love as well. It's just a really nice balance, and to me this European tour has been shying more and more away from being a basic greatest hits show for sure, instead it's got a nice potpourri of songs from throughout the history of NIN and great little tastes of everything else.

Also as cool as a Fragile-centric setlist would be, I know that as soon as they'd start doing that we'd all start wishing they'd play more from some other album, and it would just keep going that way. With a discography as huge as NIN I think it's always going to think of what we aren't getting rather than what we are, but what we are getting seems very cool and I can't imagine not being entertained by any of these recent setlists.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Fucking people. Reading comprehension. You can say the complainers are annoying and impossible to please but the people complaining about the complainers without reading what the actual complaints are, are even worse in my mind.

The complaining re: setlists have not as much been about the lack of fragile or that they are "playing the hits" (although obviously everyone here could do for more deep cuts), it was primarily about the lack of the new aka Hesitation Marks. Every set thus far in 2014 had 2, maybe 3 songs from it. This ONE set list had 6. Which is a huge difference. Hopefully it stays in the 5-8 range and if it does I promise you it will shut a ton of people up and it will naturally fix a lot of the issues on its own. But that is far from a guarantee since as everyone loves to say, it's only been one show with a set like that!

Its when that number goes back down to 2 and is replaced with more of the same old that people start to get a little frustrated since if you aren't playing your new material, and you aren't playing any back catalogue songs that you haven't played much of lately, how then has the live show grown or changed at all? That's the point, especially when TR sold it as being this "new era of NIN live".

How many times do I need to repeat that before people start to get it? You made a good new album that your fans love and want to hear. Fuckin play it. That's all. And if you aren't going to, then yeah play more deep cuts and Fragile and I'm sure that'd be fine too.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @AgentofChaos : I can't speak for anyone else but my comment wasn't directed at you specifically, if anything more towards my own complaints that I myself have thought before and trying to be more positive about it.

However, as for the lack of HM songs, I definitely see the complaints there, but at the same time the Tension tour managed to cover up to 10 tracks a night and still have a lot of room for more, because the shows themselves went up to the two hour mark at times. The current tour is more the standard 90 minutes to do your thing and bounce off the stage set-length, and it's got to be hard to narrow it down to that after having done far larger shows recently. Also, the markets they're hitting either haven't seen NIN in years upon years, or haven't seen them at all whatsoever, so anything is a nice addition and I think TR really wants to share the NIN experience to people who have never been there to actually experience it.

That said, it would be very cool for more HM to become commonplace again, but really, with as huge of a catalog as NIN has, when you're hitting places you've not been to in over 5 years, it can't be easy deciding on what to play or what the crowd wants to see. In general everyone who has been to the current shows has seemed really, really pleased, and that's really what counts, isn't it?

Also when TR calls it the new era of NIN, well, to be fair, it's a unique 4 piece in a structure they've never tried out before, they're re-arranging a lot of material even if it's subtleties, they've changed up the stage show again and have brought in screens, the 2009-era backing lights and the hanging Tension lights, they're bringing songs like Beside You In Time back for the first times since 2006, two of some of the most beloved TDS tracks, have mixed in Year Zero material more than Tension did, have extended and played with the Great Destroyer's breakdown, they've played around with the opening songs for the sets (and while they've done a lot of them before, it's still not common for Me, I'm Not to open a show, and the Eater of Dreams mix with Pinion is still new), etc. etc. etc. There's a strong mix of new things and old things with unique twists, and to ignore all of that and claim this is the same show everyone saw before is ignoring a lot of the subtleties and even some of the major details. Whether or not that's satisfying to you isn't really important, because people who actually bought tickets and have been there and seen the show and posted clips to instagram and youtube and RITC have all seemed very happy with the shows they've gotten, and ultimately that's who deserves a good show: the people who paid money to see it and took the time out of their life to attend.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    How many times do I need to repeat that before people start to get it? You made a good new album that your fans love and want to hear. Fuckin play it. That's all. And if you aren't going to, then yeah play more deep cuts and Fragile and I'm sure that'd be fine too.
    Here's a cool trick. When you're describing something that you want, start the sentence with "I want" or "I hope that" instead of giving a command or making a statement about what's right. You'll be surprised how quickly the reading comprehension of everyone else on the forum increases. Another cool trick is to be critical of your own thinking and ideas. Suddenly, everyone around you will become more intelligent.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    He did that tour in North America. I haven't read or heard anything of him saying these 2014 shows were to tour for the new album.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Whether or not that's satisfying to you isn't really important, because people who actually bought tickets and have been there and seen the show and posted clips to instagram and youtube and RITC have all seemed very happy with the shows they've gotten, and ultimately that's who deserves a good show: the people who paid money to see it and took the time out of their life to attend.
    Please don't mistake what I said with suggesting that I don't think even the most "boring" of sets isn't worth the price of admission or isn't a good show. Absolutely not the case. It's the same with Tool. I would be happy to pay the same amount once every couple years to see that exact same set list with the same songs every tour from now till eternity and I'd walk out of there happy because at the end of the day if said band is in my city on any given night, there is nowhere else I'd rather be regardless of what they play. The talent level for me is that high, and I love the entire catalogue of both bands so it's not really a huge issue.

But that doesn't mean things can't bother me, or I can't want the band to be better, or that we as fans should be complacent if things get stagnant. I don't think I'm being unrealistic. I love the new record, I want people to hear it. It's just baffling to me that TR doesn't feel the same way, especially given his comments. But as evidence by the last set, he might be changing his tune. So let's hope it continues. If it doesn't, then yeah, that's ok too, but you play 20-21 songs a night around the world and only 2-3 of them are from your new record that's been out less than a year, then guess what, you're a classic rock band. And as I've said many times, that is ok with me. But own it, and due me the respect as a fan not to try and sell me that you are anything different.
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 05-18-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Most of the songs have been from TDS and YZ. TDS turns 20 and has lots of the must play songs. Why would he play lots from YZ then if they are a classic rock band just playing the hits? It's not one of nin's major albums. TF is a major NIN album but they haven't been playing much from it. Same as WT. Maybe this tour isn't to support HM but to tour the band in locations they haven't played in a while...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think TR just really loves Year Zero, he's always seemed very proud of it. There was even a performance of God Given during LITS (can't remember the date for the life of me) where he openly talked about how much he loved it, and told everyone that hadn't to go listen to it; this was after Ghosts and The Slip were already out, too. I think it was just a really cool, experimental thing that he put a lot of work into and finds fun to play live, and I'll always take a musician playing what they want to play and are enthusiastic about over things they're doing out of obligation any day.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I think TR just really loves Year Zero, he's always seemed very proud of it. There was even a performance of God Given during LITS (can't remember the date for the life of me) where he openly talked about how much he loved it, and told everyone that hadn't to go listen to it; this was after Ghosts and The Slip were already out, too. I think it was just a really cool, experimental thing that he put a lot of work into and finds fun to play live, and I'll always take a musician playing what they want to play and are enthusiastic about over things they're doing out of obligation any day.
    Right, the exact opposite of a classic rock band. I still can't see why people here think this is a greatest hits tour.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Huh? Half of the set is an obligation. We've already established this, and come to the general consensus that it makes sense to play the songs, and it's nothing against them. But make no mistake it is a complete obligation and Trent has said as much i.e the paying customer expects to hear certain songs. Which is why you will never ever go to a NIN show and not hear the same 10 songs out of a group of 12-13. I don't possibly see how he could be as enthusiastic playing the same song for the 1000th time as opposed to playing something new he just recorded, but its pointless to even discuss this since its completely intangible and something we could never know one way or the other any way.

As far as Year Zero, we're really talking about 3 songs. Since Survivalism is a single/obligation, and The Beginning of the End has been played just a handful of times since the return, that leaves Me, I'm Not, The Great Destroyer, and The Warning. 3 solid live songs that feature the glitchier part of the NIN experience which I would presume TR wants to include as a portion of the set, as he should. I also imagine he prefers the record to The Slip given that he spent much more time creating it, he doesnt play Ghosts anymore, his lack of Fragile is well documented, and PHM is pretty dated. So that only leaves TDS, WT, and Year Zero as the records of majority with a couple of Broken tracks serving as staples too.

Yet, even with Year Zero as one of the large more favorable records to pull from, it has a ton of songs he rarely plays, or has never touched since its release. No Hyperpower, No Zero Sum, No My Violent Heart, No Capital G, No Meet Your Master, No Another Version of the Truth, The Greater Good was an interlude for one tour. That leaves God Given, The Good Soldier, In This Twilight, and Vessel which although haven't been played much but I'd say are still in the realms of possibility for any show. So basically only half the album is even up for grabs to be played at any given time.

In short, I seriously don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about. Why the hell would a band that isn't a classic rock band, tour less than a year after a brand new release 5 years in the making, and not choose to promote it? Because he is a true artist who just absolutely needs to play those 5 songs from Year Zero? Because that's what he wants to do instead of play his new record and there is simply no way he can do both? That's your fuckin argument? You've got to be shitting me here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen them open with 'Hyperpower' a few times and that always worked quite well. I don't think 'Me, I'm Not' is a particularly great opener BUT the guy next to me was overjoyed as it's his favourite song so these things are obviously subjective. The crowd seemed a little tame around me - I only felt movement during a handful of songs - but I'm sure it was crazy in the middle-front.

I was OK with the set - I'd hoped for a little more from The Fragile but I'd seen recent setlists so this was pretty much what I expected and I was happy to get it. I don't mind them playing 'Head Like a Hole' and 'The Hand That Feeds' every time but it'd be nice if they'd change the order up, a little. And for me, they absolutely HAVE to end with 'Hurt'. I don't know why people complain about that (referring mostly to other threads).

I thought they put on a great show - the only cock-up that I was regretful of was that Alessandro was having difficulties with his set-up during Copy of A and so some of the melodies during the chorus were missing so it kind of ruined my first experience of the song BUT, as I said, overall happy.
    Last edited by MacabreMagpie; 05-19-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing NIN again this sunday and at primavera next week and I have to say I'm not as excited as I should be after looking at the current setlist even the scala show was pretty much a greatest hits set. I'm sure it will be a great show but can't we get a setlist similar to the wave goodbye tour? I will probably haver to fly to the states if I want something different though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stupid me. There I was thinking that when NiN played live, the "how" was as much a part of the experience as "what".

In that case, who stole the tour gear and rearranged the songs last night, to sound so visceral and stripped down in an outstanding live performance? The real band must have been detained by the set list police I guess.

Damn! I've been cheated. Where's the refund? Better still, where's my free seat for the cliche tour? Oh yes, there's a hundred wrinkly back-catalogue peddlers that do that for three times the ticket price.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    PHM can be reworked, see Sanctified. Also, the lack of songs from The Fragile and only 1-2 songs from With Teeth, both major NIN albums. You brushed over that, a major part of my point. If it was a greatest hits tour, songs from the larger albums would be played. Yes, it sucks lots of the new songs aren't being played. But I never heard anything about this tour being a promotion for the new album. But, to call it a greatest hits tour is wrong, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I swear to god one day trent is going to play a set full of ghosts + still + further down the spiral and you guys are going to go "WHAT THE FUCK NO CLOSER"