Thread: Indecision 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My girlfriend was attending class last night deep in the heart of Orange County (super Republican county in CA). Apparently when Obama won pandemonium broke out. A group of students burst into her class and had to be thrown out by the professor twice, and some guy started crying. They were demanding proof that Obama won. People all over campus were either fighting or cheering.

FUCKING ORANGE COUNTY.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    My girlfriend was attending class last night deep in the heart of Orange County (super Republican county in CA). Apparently when Obama won pandemonium broke out. A group of students burst into her class and had to be thrown out by the professor twice, and some guy started crying. They were demanding proof that Obama won. People all over campus were either fighting or cheering.

FUCKING ORANGE COUNTY.
    oh the sweet suffering. I should really put in a concerted effort to enjoy this less, but it's very hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post

FUCKING ORANGE COUNTY.
    Yeah, it's this kind of thing that's going to keep pissing me off. I'm very happy that Obama won. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction, and I'm not convinced that elections can really be anything more than that.

But looking at the totals of popular vote, reading blogs, and hearing about shit like this . . . half this country is still asleep. What the shit? How can you not understand by now that Obama is not some CryptoMuslimFascistCommieKenyan bent on destroying America and rigging elections. How can you still believe in a radical left conspiracy and that it is, somehow, in control? I'm actually pretty pleased with the level of discourse and reporting over the issues these last four years. People dig up old speeches. People actually go through and parse issues to explain why X is a valid take but Y really isn't. How can this not have rubbed off on these folks.

I was hoping not just for a win, but for red America to wake up, maybe just a little, from that Cold War thinking. That in another 4 years, people might be able to admit that they were off base to be all worked up, even if they still disagree about one policy or another. And it does not look like it's gotten any better at all. Fuck.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    What the shit? How can you not understand by now that Obama is not some CryptoMuslimFascistCommieKenyan bent on destroying America and rigging elections. How can you still believe in a radical left conspiracy and that it is, somehow, in control? I'm actually pretty pleased with the level of discourse and reporting over the issues these last four years. People dig up old speeches. People actually go through and parse issues to explain why X is a valid take but Y really isn't. How can this not have rubbed off on these folks.
    Yup, I feel the same way.

And I know I *shouldn't* be shocked, but I still am shocked by this stuff: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-...-on-the-planet

It's 2012, people!! Wtf.

I had a zen sense of calm within me today, and it wasn't just because the election was finally over but mostly, I think, because I had been experiencing some serious stress dealing with the possibility of women's rights being set back about 50 years.

And, I was happy that JOE WALSH LOST. Asshole. http://www.suntimes.com/news/marin/1...up-of-tea.html
    Last edited by allegro; 11-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yup, I feel the same way.

And I know I *shouldn't* be shocked, but I still am shocked by this stuff: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-...-on-the-planet

It's 2012, people!! Wtf.
    I'm seeing a lot of vowels in those names.

This is a good read.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Thanks, very good, I'm sharing that.