Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN with Soundgarden - summer 2014 amphitheatre NA tour

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Dave Gahan said in an interview recently that he would like Depeche to do a summer amphitheatre tour in the US like they did back in 94...Trent should have looked into that, rather than tour with a washed up 90s nostalgia act in Soundgarden

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Dave Gahan said in an interview recently that he would like Depeche to do a summer amphitheatre tour in the US like they did back in 94...Trent should have looked into that, rather than tour with a washed up 90s nostalgia act in Soundgarden
    But based on your posts, NIN is also a washed up 90s nostalgia act, so it should be a perfect fit.

And besides, if he tours with Depeche Mode, DM would be the headliners. Tour with Soundgarden, NIN is the headliner (I looked them up on setlist.fm and saw the size of the recent venues they've played in - NIN is the headliner definitely). That means more NIN. Also, higher ticket prices. That's a bigger one for me. I'd rather see DM than Soundgarden, but not at the higher price that it would entail.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    would have preferred a co-headline amphitheatre tour with depeche mode, but Trent seems to be into touring with boring frat rock bands these days (janes/QOTSA and now soundgarden) I guess 2015 will be the co-headline tour with Green Day
    JA and QOTSA are frat rock? You should write for Pitchfork

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    JA and QOTSA are frat rock? You should write for Pitchfork
    As someone who is back in school and spending my days with this generation of frat boys, it's clear that Bill is showing his age.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    If NIN is the headliner — FWIW, it said “Nine Inch Nails with Soundgarden” — he might have more leeway. I doubt he holds Soundgarden in the same high regard as Jane’s Addiction, QOTSA or Bowie.
    I saw a show called Bob Dylan with Mark Knopfler and they both did 1.5 hr sets. Both co-headlining but Bob's name was first. Don't know if NIN is the same way or not, depends on the promotion team?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    would have preferred a co-headline amphitheatre tour with depeche mode, but Trent seems to be into touring with boring frat rock bands these days (janes/QOTSA and now soundgarden) I guess 2015 will be the co-headline tour with Green Day
    If you were going to be cool with $300 ticket prices, then by all means.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    As someone who is back in school and spending my days with this generation of frat boys, it's clear that Bill is showing his age.
    Frat boys here listen to lots of electronic music and dubstep. If they do like rock its always like ACDC or Led Zeppelin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    from what I was told nin might be playing at the hollywood bowl on aug 25th.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I head Tool's new album is finished. A NIN/Tool show would be fucking amazing. I would travel many miles and hours to see that. Not so much soundgarden...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I head Tool's new album is finished. A NIN/Tool show would be fucking amazing. I would travel many miles and hours to see that. Not so much soundgarden...
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Adam told a fan who asked about the album "yeah it's done. It'll be out tomorrow" and someone missed the sarcasm and reported it as fact (conveniently leaving out the "tomorrow" part which would make it clear it wasn't serious) and the band immediately corrected the reports.

With that said, they are working on it. It should be out this year, but it's not done.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Adam told a fan who asked about the album "yeah it's done. It'll be out tomorrow" and someone missed the sarcasm and reported it as fact (conveniently leaving out the "tomorrow" part which would make it clear it wasn't serious) and the band immediately corrected the reports.

With that said, they are working on it. It should be out this year, but it's not done.
    hahahahah thanks for the update. Just read the story before work and haven't seen anything else about it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    First thing I thought of...

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp060823.htm

and yes that new Tool thing got out of hand FAST. Adam Jones was joking about it with a fan during Q&A in Portland and someone ran off with it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Also as cool it was to finally hear that US dates are right around the corner to be announced, I think it sucks to be a co-headliner again. The crowds are going to be a bit divided, the couple NINJA shows I saw were a bit "awkward" in that regard and shortened setlist for NIN. SG is OK but I don't think they'll take a complete back seat to NIN and simply be an opener- although if that happens then this would be a pretty damn good tour (again, not counting on it).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    Heh. Some of these are probably unidentifiable, but I left them in in case they are distinctive to locals.
    I was surprised at how many were identified by Google Images, even if it couldn't find a hit with the actual image.

The "auto graveyard" one it couldn't identify the actual base image, but it figured out that it was an "auto graveyard" & in the hits for that search it had the actual base image.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffman View Post
    from what I was told nin might be playing at the hollywood bowl on aug 25th.
    Is playing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Also as cool it was to finally hear that US dates are right around the corner to be announced, I think it sucks to be a co-headliner again. The crowds are going to be a bit divided, the couple NINJA shows I saw were a bit "awkward" in that regard and shortened setlist for NIN. SG is OK but I don't think they'll take a complete back seat to NIN and simply be an opener- although if that happens then this would be a pretty damn good tour (again, not counting on it).

Soundgarden - may 22 2013 St. Louis. The Pageant. Maximum occupancy between 1,000 and 2,300 depending on setup
    NIN - oct 1 2013 St. Louis. Chaifetz Arena. Maximum occupancy 10,600

i think you're overestimating Soundgarden. I don't think they'll be just an opener, but they're definitely the second stringers on this tour.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Soundgarden - may 22 2013 St. Louis. The Pageant. Maximum occupancy between 1,000 and 2,300 depending on setup

i think you're overestimating Soundgarden. I don't think they'll be just an opener, but they're definitely the second stringers on this tour.
    We'll see soon I guess but that's like saying NIN is a smaller band because of the Wave Goodbye venues. SG is headlining Sasquatch and that SXSW iTunes festival.

I REALLY hope your right but I doubt it. There's also the recent news article with TR getting all giddy about co-headlining tours. Here it is in case anyone missed it:

Dammit, I can't find it. It was from a few days ago and was TR talking up about how co-headlining tours are a great alternative to the typical festivals we all get now, and how much he misses them (I honestly didn't even know they really existed). Searching "NIN tour co headliners" under news has fucked Google with today's news. Maybe someone else has tht link around here.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I went back a few years and in 2011, Soundgarden played bigger arenas so maybe you're right. However that LiveNation ad clearly said NIN with Soundgarden. I don't have any doubt that NIN is the headliner here. How big a difference it will be is the question. I'm thinking longer than the QOTSA tour setlists but shorter than Tension.

I'm not fooling anyone though. I'm going to as many shows as I can afford. That's just a given.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    First thing I thought of...

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp060823.htm

and yes that new Tool thing got out of hand FAST. Adam Jones was joking about it with a fan during Q&A in Portland and someone ran off with it.
    "Besides, if I really want a four-hour wankfest, I can do that at home."
    Gold

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

To add some perspective, NIN sold 7,500 seats at Chaifetz Arena while MUSE sold 8,700 which was one of the largest crowds for the arena.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Soundgardens last album tanked and got awful reviews. Apparently Cornell's voice is shot based on what friends told me, who saw them in concert, so riding NINs coat-tails will be good for them....Shocked TR hasn't called up Scott Weiland to tour

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh — so NIN fans are being bitchy about the opening band? Huh, weird, that's totally never happened before

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh — so NIN fans are being bitchy about the opening band? Huh, weird, that's totally never happened before
    Not sure who that's directed to, but I'll bitch about a co-headlining tour. They (dual headliners, not necessarily SG) suck.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    How is Depeche Mode any less "washed-up" than Soundgarden?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'd way rather see SG than DM personally, I actually can't stand DM, but they do very well in ticket sales for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    This has nothing to do with NIN, but I don't think selling out arenas and having the one of the top grossing tours of the summer (source: billboard charts), I'd highly doubt that. Probably their best tour since 1993-1994.....

BACK TO NIN: I'd really like to see some reasonable ticket prices on this one. I get more anxiety with getting a good amphitheater seat than just buying a GA ticket.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Soundgardens last album tanked and got awful reviews. Apparently Cornell's voice is shot based on what friends told me, who saw them in concert, so riding NINs coat-tails will be good for them....Shocked TR hasn't called up Scott Weiland to tour
    King Animal actually received pretty-favorable reviews:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_An...tical_response

Not sure about sales. I think I read (and again, I'm not sure, can't find anything online) that it sold a few hundred thousand copies. You know what? That's not bad. Rock bands (especially veteran acts) don't have huge record sales anymore. How many copies did the last Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, QOTSA, etc. albums sell? The sales of King Animal are way down from the sales of Superunknown, but that's to be expected and as far as 90s bands selling albums in the 2010s go, the sales were respectable.

Cornell's voice isn't quite what it was, but he's still a very powerful singer. I for one would love to go to a NIN/Soundgarden show. It's disappointing to see so much complaining. John Lennon and George Harrison could come back from the dead, do a tour with NIN and people on this forum would still bitch.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-07-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    To add some perspective, NIN sold 7,500 seats at Chaifetz Arena while MUSE sold 8,700 which was one of the largest crowds for the arena.
    Dont misunderstand me. I'm fully aware of the fact that NIN is certainly not at 1994 levels of popularity. But 7,500 is still more than triple the maximum capacity at the Pageant.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Not sure who that's directed to, but I'll bitch about a co-headlining tour. They (dual headliners, not necessarily SG) suck.
    Perhaps the folks Down Under will have something to report. Is NIN is getting shortchanged sharing with QOTSA?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

King Animal actually received pretty-favorable reviews:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_An...tical_response

Not sure about sales. I think I read (and again, I'm not sure, can't find anything online) that it sold a few hundred thousand copies. You know what? That's not bad. Rock bands (especially veteran acts) don't have huge record sales anymore. How many copies did the last Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, QOTSA albums sell? The sales of King Animal are way down from the sales of Superunknown, but that's to be expected and as far as 90s bands selling albums in the 2010s go, the sales were respectable.

Cornell's voice isn't quite what it was, but he's still a very powerful singer. I for one would love to go to a NIN/Soundgarden show. It's disappointing to see so much complaining. John Lennon and George Harrison could come back from the dead, do a tour with NIN and people on this forum would still bitch.
    Keep in mind that everything Bill said about Soundgarden, he's also said about NIN. If he wants to remain consistent, he shouldn't be complaining at all since they're clearly a perfect match in his eyes.