Page 15 of 99 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN with Soundgarden - summer 2014 amphitheatre NA tour

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    What about people that don't drive? How would you get there from LAX? Is there a train, shuttle, public transit?
    Better to get a hotel around the amphitheatre than to bus back and forth to LA i'm guessing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    What about people that don't drive? How would you get there from LAX? Is there a train, shuttle, public transit?
    Better to get a hotel around the amphitheatre than to bus back and forth to LA i'm guessing.
    with a question like that, you clearly don't live in LA/Orange County.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    For some perspective, I worked with someone when I lived there who drove across the parking lot (not even all the way across. This took her more time than walking) to eat on her lunch break. People complain about the horrible public transportation there bit it's only a reaction to the type of people that live there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was going to suggest the Flyaway bus to Irvine, but it looks like that has been discontinued (?). Don't know your situation, but carpooling is probably the best option. Should be a lot of ETSers driving from LA.
    Last edited by m15a; 03-14-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    There's also the Orange County/John Wayne airport. Not only closer but way less hassle than LAX.

Did I ever mention how much LA fucking sucks?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Anyone been to Soundgarden boards? How they feel about this?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    with a question like that, you clearly don't live in LA/Orange County.
    I don't even live in the USA let alone California, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

Did I ever mention how much LA fucking sucks?
    Why do you hate LA so much? I've been there a couple times now and I found nothing wrong with it. I on the other hand really hate NYC. Went there 2 summers ago and would never go back in my life. I enjoy LA though. I enjoy San Fran as well. Was really looking forward to that Mountain View show til I found out it was just seats.

People complain about the horrible public transportation there bit it's only a reaction to the type of people that live there.
    I've taken public transit all my life, it's all I know, I can can safely say the public transit isn't bad in LA at all. Actually pretty decent. Had to bus from Hollywood to Inglewood for the Rammstein show in 2011, and it was pretty easy. The bus route took about an hour to get there, but all in all, wasn't anything to complain about.

Traffic on the freeways on the other hand, atrocious! Not sure why anyone would want to sit on a freeway for 2 hours. We mistakingly took a cab from the airport to Hollywood and the cab driver gave us an option on what route we wanted, but we didn't know fuck all about where we were going, so just told him the freeway. He sure lucked out on that ride... fuck... sat in traffic for longer than I want to admit.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-14-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I don't even live in the USA let alone California, lol.

Why do you hate LA so much? I've been there a couple times now and I found nothing wrong with it. I on the other hand really hate NYC. Went there 2 summers ago and would never go back in my life. I enjoy LA though. I enjoy San Fran as well. Was really looking forward to that Mountain View show til I found out it was just seats.
    Just my experiences visiting the city for work- there are a lot of surrounding areas that are nice but the city itself is a cess pool IMHO. Run down ghetto areas, bums everywhere, people that want to be and act like celebrities, etc. The Tool song Aenima sums it up perfectly.

I hear you regarding NYC- another place I don't care to visit but have to for work, hate it more than LA. Frustrating to get around and literally people living on top of each other. Having 20 garbage bags as your front lawn isn't too pleasing either. Could go on but it's bed time.

Hope no one takes this too seriously, I just grew up in a different area (Midwest) and have a certain comfort level that's different from the two largest US cities. Gone off topic now- good night. :/

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    There's also the Orange County/John Wayne airport. Not only closer but way less hassle than LAX.
    Thanks alot for the suggestion, this John Wayne airport works out perfectly. There is even a non-stop flight directly from Vancouver to there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Why dont you rent a car and use gps on a smart phone or the one in the rental car to get around, geez. Also, go to the San Diego ( Chula Vista ) if you really want a sizeable pit area. It easily holds twice as many as Irvine, and your odds of getting that ticket will fare much better. Dallas, Austin and Houston have pit areas also. And maybe they end up playing The Gorge, youll save yourself the trouble of even having to fly here.

Just my experiences visiting the city for work- there are a lot of surrounding areas that are nice but the city itself is a cess pool IMHO. Run down ghetto areas, bums everywhere, people that want to be and act like celebrities, etc. The Tool song Aenima sums it up perfectly.

I hear you regarding NYC- another place I don't care to visit but have to for work, hate it more than LA. Frustrating to get around and literally people living on top of each other. Having 20 garbage bags as your front lawn isn't too pleasing either. Could go on but it's bed time.

Hope no one takes this too seriously, I just grew up in a different area (Midwest) and have a certain comfort level that's different from the two largest US cities. Gone off topic now- good night. :/

L.A. has run down ghettos everywhere? Why dont we start discussing your city? Ok then....

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Also, go to the San Diego ( Chula Vista ) if you really want a sizeable pit area.
    Oh, Chula Vista DOES have a pit?? We'd much rather go there then. San Diego has been a must travel to destination for a while. Always just end up in LA. If That venue does have a pit, i'd much rather go there.

Dallas, Austin and Houston have pit areas also.
    Texas in mid August? That doesn't sound like fun...

And maybe they end up playing The Gorge, youll save yourself the trouble of even having to fly here
    I would love for there to just be a washington show, but i'm not holding my breath for one. The fact that Soundgraden are playing the Gorge on July 4th and then AGAIN on July 6th leads me to believe they probably won't show up for a 3rd time later in summer.

The other alternative would be a show in Ridgefield, WA at the ampitheatre at clark county, like they played on the tour back in 2006. It seems odd to omit a Washington date, but from the "deciphered" places amungst the community here, and based on the photos of citys/venues released, nothing in Washington came up.

Guess we can always hope that's the reason for the delay in the announcement. Maybe there are still trying to lock in/finalize a few of the citys they never released in the teaser.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-14-2014 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    They're pretty much cookie-cutter venues like arenas, they're all the same with all seating and grass lawn all the way in back.

Theres some exceptions to that rule obviously. Red Rocks isn't like Marcus Ampitheatre or The Hollywood Bowl.
    I've seen NIN twice at Red Rocks and while there wasn't a PIT - you're so bloody close to the stage up front that it's a decent trade off. I think for 2006, there was GA seating for the first few rows, but for 2009 it was assigned.

I remember the 2006 NIN show at Lakewood/HiFi Buys/Aaron's Amphitheater in Atlanta not having a GA PIT. Not sure why that was the case since the NIN shows before/after had the small GA section up front. I guess the promoter has something to do with the seat configuration.

Anyhow, that is something to be aware of when looking at shows to hit for this tour. Someone should compile a list of the rumored venues that definitely do not have a GA PIT based on past tours.
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 03-14-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: why have back to back posts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm still curious about the rumored Philly Live! date.

Philly Live does have a few shows here and there, but its not as big as most of the rumored spots. The Camden Waterfront or even Penns Landing would be a bigger venue for this type of show.

Don't get me wrong I'd be STOKED to see NIN in a small atmosphere, but I think Soundgarden may have gotten that pic wrong.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Why dont you rent a car and use gps on a smart phone or the one in the rental car to get around, geez. Also, go to the San Diego ( Chula Vista ) if you really want a sizeable pit area. It easily holds twice as many as Irvine, and your odds of getting that ticket will fare much better. Dallas, Austin and Houston have pit areas also. And maybe they end up playing The Gorge, youll save yourself the trouble of even having to fly here.

L.A. has run down ghettos everywhere? Why dont we start discussing your city? Ok then....
    Have at it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, Chula Vista DOES have a pit?? We'd much rather go there then. San Diego has been a must travel to destination for a while. Always just end up in LA. If That venue does have a pit, i'd much rather go
    i can confirm that Chula Vista does have a pit. Saw NIN there during the NINJA tour, the show where Trent performed the MC5 cover with Street Sweeper. I've also been to several other shows there and it's always been GA pit. It is quite a ways south of the San Diego Intl Airport and I can't say public transport to the venue will be very friendly and a cab fare will be pricey. That said, I might be able to provide you with transportation from downtown SD.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The NIN shows I can remember being at with no pit were DTE in Detroit, PNC in Holmdel and Jones Beach. I think Jones Beach can have GA now, after their redesign.

Random: Just found my Palladium Wave Goodbye button in my ticket stubs. I forgot those existed.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 03-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hopefully some of the Soundgarden naysayers around here got to watch the Superunknown performance from yesterday. Flawless, there was some amazing guitar work by Kim at the end of My Wave and some incredible drumming in Mailman, Mr. Cameron is a monster behind the kit. I kept thinking throughout the performance: "as much as I like NIN, they don't have a perfect album, like Soundgarden's Superunknown. Flawless front to back. TDS will always have 'Big Man with a Gun' and TF will always have 'Starfuckers Inc.'" (for the record, my favorite NIN album is With Teeth, and that one has 'Getting Smaller')

With this being said, I think Soundgarden is an excellent pairing for NIN. Soundgarden is a lot more guitar based, whereas in NIN the guitar does not have such a prominent role. So their different styles complement each other nicely. Speaking of pairings: I can imagine a NIN + Soundgarden show going extremely well with a glass of good wine.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    DTE has a "pit" area, but it's full of seats that are reserved for the high spenders that have season tickets. Seeing shows there is usually a drag because the people that have the closest seats aren't really fans for the most part. Hopefully nin.com will be able to secure some close seats for us, but I'm not holding my breath. The old Spiral club wasn't even able to do that, and that was something people payed for.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Hopefully some of the Soundgarden naysayers around here got to watch the Superunknown performance from yesterday. Flawless, there was some amazing guitar work by Kim at the end of My Wave and some incredible drumming in Mailman, Mr. Cameron is a monster behind the kit. I kept thinking throughout the performance: "as much as I like NIN, they don't have a perfect album, like Soundgarden's Superunknown. Flawless front to back. TDS will always have 'Big Man with a Gun' and TF will always have 'Starfuckers Inc.'" (for the record, my favorite NIN album is With Teeth, and that one has 'Getting Smaller')

With this being said, I think Soundgarden is an excellent pairing for NIN. Soundgarden is a lot more guitar based, whereas in NIN the guitar does not have such a prominent role. So their different styles complement each other nicely. Speaking of pairings: I can imagine a NIN + Soundgarden show going extremely well with a glass of good wine.
    TDS >>> superunknown. By a mile. And I'm not one of the naysayers. I'm looking forward to seeing SG, but still....

also so I agree with you on Cameron but it doesn't matter for this tour anyway. He's not playing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    TDS >>> superunknown. By a mile. And I'm not one of the naysayers. I'm looking forward to seeing SG, but still....

also so I agree with you on Cameron but it doesn't matter for this tour anyway. He's not playing.
    I should had rephrased what I wrote...by flawless I meant "no skippable tracks". I can just put in Superunknown and listen to it front to back without any problem. Faith No More's KFAD is another that comes to mind. But yeah, I agree that all in all, TDS is a more interesting album than Superunknown musically speaking (although in my opinion, not by a large difference).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I should had rephrased what I wrote...by flawless I meant "no skippable tracks". I can just put in Superunknown and listen to it front to back without any problem. Faith No More's KFAD is another that comes to mind. But yeah, I agree that all in all, TDS is a more interesting album than Superunknown musically speaking (although in my opinion, not by a large difference).
    actually you were clear. I knew what you meant and I still disagree. Different strokes and all that but I own Superunknown and haven't listened to it very often because there are too many skip tracks for me.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That was awkward.

Also, I'm not sure why they need to do such a big deal out of it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    that was about as much of a yes as you can get without breaking a confidentiality agreement.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    DTE has a "pit" area, but it's full of seats that are reserved for the high spenders that have season tickets. Seeing shows there is usually a drag because the people that have the closest seats aren't really fans for the most part. Hopefully nin.com will be able to secure some close seats for us, but I'm not holding my breath. The old Spiral club wasn't even able to do that, and that was something people payed for.
    For NINJA, I had front row from the presale. So did a friend, at the other end of the stage.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    If there's some big publicity push, then it stands to reason that the tour announcement could happen around the ACL premiere. Maybe they're planning on the tour announcement and the pre-order for the Tension DVD?

Regardless, it seems silly to wait given the amount of leaks from LiveNation and other radio promotions.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    If there's some big publicity push, then it stands to reason that the tour announcement could happen around the ACL premiere. Maybe they're planning on the tour announcement and the pre-order for the Tension DVD?

Regardless, it seems silly to wait given the amount of leaks from LiveNation and other radio promotions.
    This seems to be the most logical reason

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Didn't take long for Spin to take down the video.

nevermind, video is back up.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 03-14-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    What was in that video?...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Spin magazine asking Soundgarden at SXSW iTunes if they were touring with NIN this summer. And then a bunch of mumbling.