One of the top replies on the RLM video:

The eyeball removal scene is the epitome of what makes Picard and by extension Discovery abject failures as Star Trek stories. They could not give less of a shit about what Star Trek fans who have been watching for decades want and have been loudly trying to tell Kurtzman and his cabal of morons to create. They want to be provocative for the sake of being provocative. Mystery box psychology and building stories solely on “moments” (trailer fodder) has never been more prevalent and I will never stop being bothered by the fact that it made its way into the production of Star Trek. As Mike, Rich and Mr. Plinkett have all demonstrated, that type of disturbing, hyper violent situation has no place in the universe which Roddenberry conceived. People always consider Star Trek to be the more intelligent counterpart to Star Wars, but while the new Star Wars films are basically crap, they at least never delved into Saw like scenes in order to generate an emotional reaction like Star Trek Picard did. What an unbelievable shambles, the fact that Kurtzman can still get work is diabolical and his plea to judge the show on “its merits” does nothing to alleviate the scuffing of Star Trek that he has committed. Fuck you Alex Kurtzman, you hack.
Again, I don't watch Star Trek but I always did like the contrast between it and Star Wars, with Trek clearly being the less action-y, much more cerebral show. Do you guys see that POV on these two new series? They certainly seem way over the top for Star Trek compared to the past series.