Thread: Castlevania

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Symphony of the Night is the greatest sidescroller of all time and one of my 5 favorite games ever. I fucking love SOTN. everything. The ganeplay, the graphics, the music the cheesey story and bad acting. SOTN is so good. Ive played it all the way through possibly.more than any other game.
    I love SOTN. It was an epic game for sure. I've played through it many times as well over the years. Many claim, as you do, it being one of the best games ever, and I can certainly understand why. Yet, I don't consider it the best Castlevania. I still feel like Castlevania IV or "Super Castlevania" on Super NES was the greatest Castlevania. It still boggles my mind how well it holds up today compared to modern games. Its soundtrack is one of the greatest ever conceived. Of course, there are also many that claim Castlevania III on the original NES to be the best. The 8 bit titles just haven't aged as well for me, though I still love them. There is a fan project that is remaking III with 16 bit graphics. II has already been remade and you can find it pretty easily. It's called Simon's Quest Revamped. It rules.

New castlevania was ok, but could have been better. It could have used a lot more atmosphere, and a better sense of place and better music. The gameplay was lacking too so i wonder about LOS 2.
    I would have preferred Lords of Shadow more if it had allowed more freedom in exploration, but certainly it is the best of the 3D Castlevania games. Lords of Shadow 2 looks like it will be more exploration friendly and hopefully they've had enough years with this project to have improved upon gameplay. The art direction certainly looks amazing enough.
    Last edited by pulse; 01-18-2014 at 01:00 AM.