Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I listened to Siamese Dream this morning. How the fuck did I miss this band?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Welcome aboard. You're in for the long haul and there's no going back
    @poro765 is absolutely right that there's a lot of great stuff after the initial run, but it's a patchy journey. I'd really acquaint yourself with the first lineup's albums up to 2000 first, then journey forward. And there are so very, very many bootleg compilations and demos that are staples of their history: Mashed Potatoes, The Ignoffo Tape, Billy's Gravity Demos, MCIS Demos I-III, and numerous, numerous excellent live recordings, soundboard and otherwise to discover, thanks to Billy's philosophy of wanting everyone to hear everything they do Happy to offer recommendations or provide links to anything you're curious about.

In other news I'm creating my own Machina II booklet because the ones out there suck badly IMO

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Try My Bloody Valentine instead...You will appreciate Kevin Shields genius and realize Billy boy was just copping some of that MBV sound with Siamese Dream

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Try My Bloody Valentine instead...You will appreciate Kevin Shields genius and realize Billy boy was just copping some of that MBV sound with Siamese Dream
    I've only heard Siamese Dream once and I enjoyed it far more than Loveless, which I believe is overrated. It's brought down by lazy percussion, with seemingly the same drum fill on virtually every song. Once you notice it, the entire record becomes tedious. I really enjoy about four or five songs on that album. To Here Knows When is beautiful.