Page 101 of 149 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I really hope that the two European shows they're playing at the end of the tour sold well enough to initiate a bigger tour next time around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

SOme interesting stuff from someone who had obvious influence for the past 12 years who you don't really hear to much from!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.
    Will never happen, and also, stop that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sounds interesting... hm...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sounds about what was expected, should be ok but not glorious.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    “Billy singing about riding rainbows” oh fucking hell this is gonna be so great (and by great I mean awe-inspiringly bad)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not going to take lyric commentary out of context. Too easy to form preconceived notions.

"Welp, this song called Rhinoceros has a chorus consisting entirely of 'she knows'. Shitty pun, record must suck."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Rhinoceros was also back when SP was more about the overall music and sound and not vocal-forward brickwalled bullshit. Billy’s at times repetitive and often poetic-but-meaningless writing were way more fitting to that dreamier, buried in the mix feel. Now we get him singing in that godawful new style way louder than any instruments but the lyrics are boring at best and repetitive as shit. They used to be less of a centerpiece than they are now but they’re bringing nothing substantial to the table.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I dunno, man. When I think of vocals buried in a mix, I think of, well, MBV, maybe Cocteau Twins. The vox were never quite as forward in the old days as they are now - IMO that changed around Machina but only got noticeably bad on ZG - but he always sounded clear to me. There's not a lyric on SD or MCIS that doesn't demand attention, poignant or otherwise, as far as I'm concerned. Stupid lyrics have always been a part of SP:

"Everybody's business is everybody's business", "bang bang you're dead, hole in your head", etc. I'm still not sure what the fuck "climb my ribcage too, the replays run for you" is supposed to even be talking about, but I don't care and never have because the song's good. I can agree that them being more forward might draw more attention when things stand out as awkward, but FWIW I actually find the lyrics on Silvery a lot more straightforward than he's been in a while. I think he's realized he had to take a step or two back since Oceania - I was surprised to hear him say something as honest-sounding as "I just got tired" on Ogilala.

Also: Mentions of James on EBow are making me moist.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    that new video... LOL

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    that new video... LOL

Feels a bit mediocre.

Also, it's puzzling why they front-ended that video with over two minutes of jabber.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    that new video... LOL

Really liking this song a lot. Sounds like MCATIS meets MTAE--nice blend of old-school Pumpkins and their more recent sound. The intro in the video is a tad too long though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not for me. But at least they seem to be having fun with these ridiculous videos lately.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I love it. Just silly and goofy and they're plainly all having fun with it, and also plainly flipping the bird to people who hated seeing Mark McGrath up on the tour videos.

Good video for a song I still find good.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought it was a fun video. Dig the Drab Majesty cameo. If you haven't heard them, definitely checkout their most recent record.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I hope we eventually find out what fucking blackmail McGrath has on Billy that lets him keep plaguing everything like this, wow. Mark has now talked more as a part of Smashing Pumpkins than James has all year.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the video. The first time in a while I've enjoyed something the Pumpkins did. So that's a plus.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not for me, sorry. Too cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Not for me, sorry. Too cringeworthy and embarrassing.
    I agree, but glad some people are liking it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I love the band and I like the new songs (Silvery Sometimes is much better than Solara, though), but this new video is absolutely fucking terrible. Jesus Christ, why can't they just make a decent video anymore? Billy needs to ditch Linda Strawberry SO BAD. I don't understand why he's given her so much creative control over the band's visuals.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Apart from the overlong intro, I don't really see anything wrong with it. They're just having fun with a loose silly narrative, reminds me of Rocket.

In all honesty, IMO this is probably the single best video SP has put out in at least twenty years...I'm thinking since Ava Adore. Much as I enjoy the Machina period, I never found a single one of its music videos to be especially interesting or watchable outside of the over-the-top rawk antics in TEG. But to each their own.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I hated the overly long and cringe-inducing intro with Mark McGrath (who they also need to ditch). It would have been a hell of a lot better without that intro and the super weird part with him at the end. I also wasn't fond of the fourth wall breaking scene where they overact either. They need to hire Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris to make their next video. Those two made most of their best videos ("Rocket," "1979," "Tonight, Tonight," and "Perfect").

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Alex Jones is totally the voice at the very beginning, right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The shiny oh so bright tour visuals were really ok brand though... I dunno.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    And that makes me dislike the video even more. I REALLY HATE Alex Jones and the fact that Billy likes him makes me extremely disappointed in Billy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner View Post
    oh dear god no

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ew... it is AJ isn’t it... gross