Page 35 of 150 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Listened to the new album and will just echo what everyone else has been saying. Pretty good album, though the lyrics are terrible. I dig it though.

I don't really have an opinion of Billy as a person, but damn, he can write some good tunes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    it really surprises me how much i dig it. even the choruses. in a weird nostalgic way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Billy is going to be doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit at 2pm tomorrow. That should be interesting.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i predict he'll ignore all the good questions (or hitch a huge fit if he doesn't).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Top question is gonna be something about the old band and it's going to go unanswered.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I never really cared for Smashing Pumpkins, but as I read more and more about Corgan lately, this guy's quite a narcissistic prick

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/1...till-the-best/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Heh, Billy answered my question on his AMA. I asked if he thought nostalgia was a good or bad thing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I asked him about the unreleased Zwan stuff and he said a boxset should be coming at some point.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm all for a Zwan boxset... been trying to hunt down the "Lyric" and "Honestly" singles for the extra tracks. At first I wasn't too into them, but I have grown to love that album. Plus I've been going through their live sets finding amazing material that was never released.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I never really cared for Smashing Pumpkins, but as I read more and more about Corgan lately, this guy's quite a narcissistic prick

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/1...till-the-best/
    Interesting he makes absolutely no mention of Trent in any of these rambles. Courtney Love is asked in this interview a few years ago about her twitter spats with Corgan and she says that 'billy is probably more obsessed about trent reznor winning an academy award than me'. http://joshrotter.com/tag/billy-corgan/

Anyway Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands I've just never got around to listening to for whatever reason, but I actually think he's pretty funny and quite refreshing in the whole all bands kissing each others arse out of desperation world we're living in. Where is a good place to start? Out of the grunge bands, the only one I really got into was Alice in Chains because I liked heavier music then. I'm thinking either Adore , Mellon Collie. Hopefully they're on spotify

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Siamese Dream first. Adore is perfect, but both more electronic and delicate than most of their other work. Mellon Collie has some epic highs but is occasionally spotty.SD is the first record where they hit their stride, and one of the greatest of the era.

Just saw the NYC show with @halo33 . Left a bad taste in my mouth for the first time since the 'reunion'--- the setlist was spotty and somewhat uninspired (the "Fame" cover is awful), the arrangements were iffy ('Glass and the Ghost Children" was lacking energy and this version of "Silverfuck" didn't get where it needed to go), but more importantly- the new rhythm section feels foreign, distant, and not at all connected to the spirit of the band. For the first time ever, I felt like this was a hired gun show. While nothing holds a candle to the original lineup, at least Ginger, Nicole, and hell, even Mike fit the vibe of the band a lot more.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Agreed, Siamese is near flawless, and feels very of its time without being generic or dated. You can really wallow in the sheer 90s-ness of it. Mellon Collie is a good album and has some of their best ever stuff, but too much guff and a bit overblown in places. But the good songs on it wouldn't have benefited from being more low key. In Sutekh-land it's during/after Mellon Collie that they become less SP and more about Billy spreading his wings a bit - Adore, Machina and Zeitgeist are all good but they don't have the same vibe as the first 3

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I'd actually say MCIS first. Does an excellent job at showing you the vast array of soundscapes the band was capable of. Then Siamese for the flawless experience. Following on that, Pisces Iscariot and Aeroplane for epic B-sides. From there I'd go for the rest of the stuff.

Stick with the originals in most cases save for MCIS and maybe Gish. The albums did not need remastering (save MCIS) and they messed up a few vocal takes on the Pisces and TAFH remasters.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    Siamese Dream first. Adore is perfect, but both more electronic and delicate than most of their other work. Mellon Collie has some epic highs but is occasionally spotty.SD is the first record where they hit their stride, and one of the greatest of the era.

Just saw the NYC show with @halo33. Left a bad taste in my mouth for the first time since the 'reunion'--- the setlist was spotty and somewhat uninspired (the "Fame" cover is awful), the arrangements were iffy ('Glass and the Ghost Children" was lacking energy and this version of "Silverfuck" didn't get where it needed to go), but more importantly- the new rhythm section feels foreign, distant, and not at all connected to the spirit of the band. For the first time ever, I felt like this was a hired gun show. While nothing holds a candle to the original lineup, at least Ginger, Nicole, and hell, even Mike fit the vibe of the band a lot more.
    The 2008 shows I saw weren't great, but the 2011/2012 shows were amazing. So it might have been an off night/tour.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Should've been an EP. Some super solid stuff, some of his best ever, but overall the album is missing something. I prefer Oceania.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I feel like Oceania is a better album, but MTAE has some better songs, overall.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Should've been an EP. Some super solid stuff, some of his best ever, but overall the album is missing something. I prefer Oceania.
    Best ever? I love the album, but I don't think any of the song are as good as anything on MC or SD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    First Ninja comes out on stage with Manson. Then Manson comes out on stage with The Pumpkins. And last night it all came full circle...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^-----That sucked balls. I like Die Antwoord a lot but I don't EVER want to hearing rapping with Smashing Pumpkins. Not only that, the way they played Fame sounded like shit too. Boo!!!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Best ever? I love the album, but I don't think any of the song are as good as anything on MC or SD.
    It's kind of hard to compare a brand new album with 20 year old classics. That said, while I really like MTAE, I doubt it will be remembered as one of Billy's best works. I also think that Oceania ​is up there as one of the Pumpkin's best albums, at least in the top five.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think the new album holds up with the older albums in terms of continuity. It's definitely a pumpkins album. That being said, I'm not sure if it's possible to even try comparing the newer albums with the old albums. I'm not going to say it's better or worse than Siamese Dream or whatever. On its own, it's solid. As follow up album to Oceania, it's good but not as good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I think the new album holds up with the older albums in terms of continuity. It's definitely a pumpkins album. That being said, I'm not sure if it's possible to even try comparing the newer albums with the old albums. I'm not going to say it's better or worse than Siamese Dream or whatever. On its own, it's solid. As follow up album to Oceania, it's good but not as good.
    For me Oceania ​has just gotten better over time, after the glow of having a new CD has faded and it's just sunken in over the years. Top to bottom it's just really well written, has a great flow and enough variety to keep me interested for an hour. The title track and "Pinwheels" stand as some of Billy's best songs, imho. The tour was just awesome--loved hearing the new album live, in its entirety.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Chartnews is reporting that based on one day sales, Smashing Pumpkins’ new album Monuments to an Elegywill sell 17-19,000 copies in the United States during its first week on sale, based on one day sales."

http://www.alternativenation.net/sma...es-disappoint/

That is awful.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    "Chartnews is reporting that based on one day sales, Smashing Pumpkins’ new album Monuments to an Elegywill sell 17-19,000 copies in the United States during its first week on sale, based on one day sales."

http://www.alternativenation.net/sma...es-disappoint/

That is awful.
    Well, I have my copy.

A tour/YouTube videos could help sales.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    When Oceania sold 54,000, that is truly fucking sad. Beyond words.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    When Oceania sold 54,000, that is truly fucking sad. Beyond words.
    Just in the first week though.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    And that's what that article is anticipating for MTAE's first week.

I really, really hope it's wrong. That's a plus fifty percent drop-off.

Maybe after this he'll retire the name.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    And that's what that article is anticipating for MTAE's first week.

I really, really hope it's wrong. That's a plus fifty percent drop-off.

Maybe after this he'll retire the name.
    Somehow I doubt it. I don't understand why "Dorian" wasn't the first single--it's catchy as hell.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Who the hell launches an album in December, to begin with?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Who the hell launches an album in December, to begin with?
    Why not? Holiday shopping.