Page 42 of 156 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The more I read on the guy the more..words fail,police should have acted much sooner.

The band released a statement today saying they had no idea:

http://www.nme.com/news/lostprophets/74155

His abuse was an 'open secret' to some fans, abused in America as well

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...verted-6356119

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nelson Mandela has died.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Nelson Mandela has died.
    So sad RIP.

The Mandela film was premiered in London tonight and Idris Elba who plays him in the film had to announce his death to the audience.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    That's a crazy story.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Aaaah, the perks of being rich! "4 people? Fuck it, I'm wealthy!"

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    the "affluenza" defense is fucking mental. What, you shouldn't be punished because you're too coddled and rich to understand that actions have consequences? Well, then obviously the proper sentence should be to send you off to luxury spa rehab that only millionaires can afford.

Unfun fact: this kid was given less than a slap on the wrist for a DUI three months before he killed 4 people.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Michigan "Rape Insurance" bill passes into law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4428432.html

So women need to take separate insurance if they want abortion procedures to be covered by their insurance company, even in cases of rape or incest.
    That is so fucked up.

So in other words, the women of Michigan are being punished in advance for a crime, in which they would actually be the victim.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Calling it the "rape insurance" bill is just ridiculous. It bans insurance plans in the state from paying for abortions unless the woman's life is at risk. There are a lot more situations than rape that come into play there. Yet, the left wing wants to marginalize all of those other women so they can focus on a shocking and very myopic name. Meanwhile, the right wing is suddenly behind an insurance mandate because it fits with their belief system. Go figure...

I'll never understand why people continue to give their government more power just because "their team" happens to temporarily hold that power.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Calling it the "rape insurance" bill is just ridiculous. It bans insurance plans in the state from paying for abortions unless the woman's life is at risk. There are a lot more situations than rape that come into play there. Yet, the left wing wants to marginalize all of those other women so they can focus on a shocking and very myopic name. Meanwhile, the right wing is suddenly behind an insurance mandate because it fits with their belief system. Go figure...

I'll never understand why people continue to give their government more power just because "their team" happens to temporarily hold that power.
    I'll admit that I haven't read anything about this bill. But I'm going to assume that, as asserted in the post above yours, the bill requires separate insurance for abortions regardless of the reason, including pregnancies resulting from rape.

So while those tragic instances may not be the statistical majority for the reason someone seeks an abortion, it is appalling to require insurance to cover these cases. So by calling it by some shocking name like "rape insurance", you can bring attention to the bill and have a better chance at impacting change in an unjust law. It doesn't have to be about overturning a bill entirely, but merely changing it to make it more humane.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    To add insult to injury, Michigan's rapists have custody and visitation rights.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Even the governor, who's a Republican, vetoed the bill on the first vote.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 12-18-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Border Patrol asks a dog for permission to rape a woman, does so for hours, then bills the woman $5k for their "services."
    Your tax dollars and prohibitionary laws at work!
    http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/w...d-reenter-usa/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Speaking of which, Canada's Supreme Court struck down anti-prostitution law in historic ruling.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...and-scott.html

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Mikhail Kalashnikov, dead at 94. Probably wasn't shot...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Mikhail Kalashnikov, dead at 94. Probably wasn't shot...
    I had no idea he was still alive.

Here is an AK-47 made out of a shovel (and totally legal in California)
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...7-from-shovel/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not earth-shatteringly surprising, but...

The NSA has nearly complete backdoor access to every iPhone.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not earth-shatteringly surprising, but...

The NSA has nearly complete backdoor access to every iPhone.
    I highly recommend watching Applebaum's presentation at 30c3 from the same day the story broke. There is a lot more detail that isn't getting covered by the press. Applebaum is the guy who co-authored this Der Spiegel story. He is also one of the very few people who Snowden gave all the NSA data to.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Here are the slides from that preso. http://cryptome.org/2013/12/appelbaum-30c3.pdf
    I'm still digesting the insanity.

It's infuriating that the press got "iphones are backdoored" as the major takeaway. No mention that the NSA is radiating people with high power wave generators to power the chips they have hiding all over the place. No mention of all the possible ways you could identify an NSA infection in your gear. etc. I seriously hope this results in someone identifying an infection and coming forward soon. It's also a really interesting question about Hugo Chavez's death being possibly linked to exposure to the high power wave generators used for spying on him.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Fuck everything http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...as-always-plan

(Childline is a child safety hotline for kids to use)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Fuck everything http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...as-always-plan

(Childline is a child safety hotline for kids to use)
    but... this is for the children! We must think of the children!

There truly are some things the government can do that the people can't be trusted to do. Let's find another way to give them more power and influence over us!

The silver lining is that this kind of bullshit is doing great things for the crypto/privacy/anti censorship development community.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    but... this is for the children! We must think of the children!
    Childline, one of the sites blocked, is a call centre specifically for children to report abuse, bullying and issues that they can't talk about to adults they know. Literally the single worst thing you could block.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Childline, one of the sites blocked, is a call centre specifically for children to report abuse, bullying and issues that they can't talk about to adults they know. Literally the single worst thing you could block.
    I haven't been following this one too closely... who the fuck wanted this filter? Theocratic authoritarian puritans? I have an urge to do an airborne leaflet drop of the top 10 efukt.com images. Couple it with a ton of bootable copies of Tails or whatever completely breaks that censorship system.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    600 armed citizens stormed police and forced them to give up their weapons in an attempt to regain their town from the drug cartel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ug-cartel.html

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Your time is tick, tick, ticking away.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    Your time is tick, tick, ticking away.
    Fuck yea, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw this one.

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open and god himself will reach his fucking arm through just to push you down, just to hold you down

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In case people are still interested in Rob Ford.... the fun does not stop.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/01/21/ma...ambling-again/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Horror story in the making

I believe they should pull her off life support if it's the family's wishes. That's just me though...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Horror story in the making

I believe they should pull her off life support if it's the family's wishes. That's just me though...
    The family wants it. The doctors say there is no future for the mother or baby... but the fucking state has to get involved in every goddamned choice. such bullshit

I get that the hospital is only trying to follow law, but they could either let the family sign over responsibility or actually let the family physically pull the plug.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 01-24-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A judge ordered the hospital to pull the plug by Monday at 5 pm.

A misinterpretation of the law was the problem ("patient" vs "diseased"). The judge fixed that problem.