Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
Good points, I didn't think of it that way. Still not a fan of the episode but I see what you're saying, especially since they didn't know if they were getting renewed or not.
Fair enough, I'm in no way saying you had to like it, I just didn't understand your initial statement. The way I see it is that it came about because they were unsure if the show would continue or not. That is a hard position to be in when you have a serial drama like this. The same thing happened during the middle of Lost Season 3. There's a few filler episodes that arguably have no reason to be there, but the producers needed to know how long they would have to tell their story. They couldn't just start throwing things out willy nilly and then have nothing more to show in the event that they were picked up for another season or two. So with Fringe, Fox wouldn't tell them yes or no when they were writing the episodes (you know, when it matters, because network executives seem to be fucking morons) so they had to improvise and throw in a possible way to continue the show. And as we just saw, Fox didn't even officially decide until that episode had aired (or perhaps right before, depending on who you believe).