Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: ninwiki

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    @Malechite has been quietly busy
    ssh let's not jinx it

But seriously it's so much nicer now. I might actually take some time and make that remixes page finally now

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    ...And here's 'The Slip'. These are the "center-cropped" originals from the artwork folder present with the 24/96 FLAC/WAV download.

The "center-cropped" embedded artwork is a mess across the lossless formats, with varying filesizes. The original artwork for "1,000,000" was improperly exported, resulting in a bloated, half-functioning JPEG. I properly exported this "original" through GIMP 2 with no alterations (metadata intact) at (92) Quality to match the rest of the JPEG's for 'The Slip'. I also included the original bloated JPEG to be thorough.

These are all 1200x1200 @ 300 dpi JPEG, which I thought would supplement the current 800x800 @ 72 dpi "non-centered" images from the MP3's nicely. The front cover is also quite a bit higher quality than the one currently on the wiki.

Nine Inch Nails - The Slip

EDIT: Here's the cover for the 'Gone Girl (Soundtrack)' taken from the MP3 digital download. Image is 2136x2136 @ 150 dpi JPEG (with metadata).

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - Gone Girl (Soundtrack)
    Last edited by Jon; 05-02-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I've started work on the remixes page (only taken me like, 4 years to actually start it...) http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

Before I do the whole thing, some feedback about how it looks and if I'm missing anything (and if division by era is best), plus anything generally that might be needed?

Also: do demo versions count (Purest Feeling included) as remixes? I will be including alt takes, such as Discipline's single version.

(My reason for not adding description is the song pages do that perfectly well)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Cool idea. I don't think any demos should be included, definitely not PF anyway. I think demo stretches the definition of remix too much.

I would recommend also adding the running time to each track. I was about to start adding running times to the versions sections of all the song pages, and this would be a way better place to have that info.

Also, is there any way you can get each column to have the same width from top to bottom? That would look really nice.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I would recommend also adding the running time to each track. I was about to start adding running times to the versions sections of all the song pages, and this would be a way better place to have that info.

Also, is there any way you can get each column to have the same width from top to bottom? That would look really nice.
    I can add the runtime column yeah. Probably will be blank for many, as I don't have all of them (not going to spend £100 on a radio promo to find out if a clean edit is the same length as the album one, etc)

Getting all the columns the same width is a little annoying and I'll probably try to do that once it's finished, so I know what has to be wider

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I've started work on the remixes page (only taken me like, 4 years to actually start it...) http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

Before I do the whole thing, some feedback about how it looks and if I'm missing anything (and if division by era is best), plus anything generally that might be needed?

Also: do demo versions count (Purest Feeling included) as remixes? I will be including alt takes, such as Discipline's single version.

(My reason for not adding description is the song pages do that perfectly well)
    Gave Up (Film Mix) Uncoiled Remixed by Coil, Danny Hyde 2012

^ Isn't that actually tagged as (Flim Mix)?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Gave Up (Film Mix) Uncoiled Remixed by Coil, Danny Hyde 2012

^ Isn't that actually tagged as (Flim Mix)?
    Hah, this is why it's a wiki. I'll fix that, once it's all done y'all can come in and just fix all my errors, I'm sure I'll have some timestamps wrongs

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Maybe Levi named it that in honor of RDJ.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Gonna have to pause doing it as I do boring, real life stuff - next section is The Fragile era, and I've been going tracklist of the main album with other tracks at the end if anyone wants to continue, if not I'll pick it up later.

This is the only day I'm glad Ghosts doesn't have a remix album...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Gonna have to pause doing it as I do boring, real life stuff - next section is The Fragile era, and I've been going tracklist of the main album with other tracks at the end if anyone wants to continue, if not I'll pick it up later.

This is the only day I'm glad Ghosts doesn't have a remix album...
    If memory serves correctly, when Trent put the instrumental version of TDS on remix.nin.com, wasn't the version of Hurt non-instrumental? Or a rough mix or something?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If memory serves correctly, when Trent put the instrumental version of TDS on remix.nin.com, wasn't the version of Hurt non-instrumental? Or a rough mix or something?
    Some of the instrumentals are pure "the same but no lyrics" but yeah most had a variation or two. I'll bung that in notes (or @piggy will when I'm not looking), for now I want to get everything done before I fill in notes though

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Some of the instrumentals are pure "the same but no lyrics" but yeah most had a variation or two. I'll bung that in notes (or @piggy will when I'm not looking), for now I want to get everything done before I fill in notes though
    Unmastered, that's right:

Hurt (Instrumental)

Released by Reznor via his remix.nin.com account, this unmastered instrumental version is identical to the album version, save the lack of vocals

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I think AWP deserves an "unmastered" note too (weren't they all?), because AWP (instrumental) doesn't make sense.
    Hurt sounded to me like an instrumental of Quiet version. Maybe that's just me.
    Will Still versions be counted?

edit
    The Beauty of Being Numb also has parts from Eraser in it (on top of Aphex Twin part)
    Last edited by fillow; 06-25-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @fillow the actual AWP instrumental IS slightly different to the album version (couple of seconds of fade changed), so it still works. And yeah I think Hurt's is of Quiet, but that all goes in notes which I'm not going to do much with until I'm finished, as some of these tracks could have paragraphs' worth of notes.

Still versions aren't remixes. If I did every alt take, I'd have to include Closure/AATCHB/BYIT and then would we count Ghosts Piggy and so on, it's simpler to say just remixes. Unless everyone disagrees.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Still versions aren't remixes. If I did every alt take, I'd have to include Closure/AATCHB/BYIT and then would we count Ghosts Piggy and so on, it's simpler to say just remixes. Unless everyone disagrees.
    What about the version of Eraser played in 1996 (?). It's like a completely new song. What would that count as?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    What about the version of Eraser played in 1996 (?). It's like a completely new song. What would that count as?
    That's clearly an alternate take yes, but therein lies the problem - for some songs, they sound different on every tour. So, if we just stick to official released remixes (and instrumentals because they're functionally different), then there's a clear definition. Otherwise we'll get 500 versions of MOTP for each time he changed the end.

Now, if we made a page for different arrangements...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm calling it pretty much ~done~

Track lengths need to be added to a few, which I (or someone else) can do in a bit, but I've done the main body of it and, as far as I know, included every track which was my main goal

Also it turns out that it is now the third longest page on the site, and will probably jump to second once the notes and anything I've forgotten are all added

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks! And I agree with all your choices as far as I can see.

It's useful to have all the alternative mixes (and takes) in one place. Makes sense to me to leave different live performance variations to a different project/page.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    What needs to added, from the top of my head:
    Vinyl edits of The Fragile songs
    Ghosts/demon seed connection

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What needs to added, from the top of my head:
    Vinyl edits of The Fragile songs
    Ghosts/demon seed connection
    Yeah I was thinking about vinyl alt versions, but unless someone wants to mail me a copy of it on vinyl, it's kinda hard to be sure which ones are really different, idk if I'd consider simply a crossfade a version ya know?

38 Ghosts/DS I kinda wanted to put in but I wasn't sure how to write it. Do I say Demon Seed takes parts of 38?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I would say both songs are alt versions of the other. Why not?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I would say both songs are alt versions of the other. Why not?
    38G came first though? Like, you wouldn't say TDS incorporates part of The Beginning of the End's remix

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Yeah I was thinking about vinyl alt versions, but unless someone wants to mail me a copy of it on vinyl, it's kinda hard to be sure which ones are really different, idk if I'd consider simply a crossfade a version ya know?

38 Ghosts/DS I kinda wanted to put in but I wasn't sure how to write it. Do I say Demon Seed takes parts of 38?
    Re: vinyl, it's listed on The Fragile page:

Differences To The CD Version

Many of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

• "The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
    • "The Wretched" has an extended outro
    • "Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
    • "La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
    • "Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
    • "The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
    • "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
    • "Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
    • "The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

What about:

Demon Seed contains elements of 38 Ghosts
    (or)
    Demon Seed is an interpolation of 38 Ghosts

I think it technically fits the definition of a musical interpolation.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    As well as instrumental versions of Everything and Came Back Haunted, there is also one for Copy Of A you need to add.

Ignore the above. Only Everything and CBH exist as far as we know (and only 30 second samples at that).
    Last edited by Ryan; 07-01-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Re: vinyl, it's listed on The Fragile page:

Differences To The CD Version

Many of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

• "The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
    • "The Wretched" has an extended outro
    • "Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
    • "La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
    • "Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
    • "The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
    • "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
    • "Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
    • "The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides
    WTF? Ten miles high, the new flesh etc are actually on the vinyl version? I thought the only change was appendage

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    WTF? Ten miles high, the new flesh etc are actually on the vinyl version? I thought the only change was appendage
    Appendage is exclusive to the cassette, not the vinyl.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Should The Beauty of Being Numb count as a remix of both Mr. Self Destruct and Eraser? It uses plenty of elements from both songs.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Yes they are. That's why people are hoping the reissue has the vinyl version on CD as well as appendage.

The cd, vinyl and cassette versions of The Fragile all differ.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well time to add all that OH WAIT NOW I HAVE TO ADD THE NEW SHIT TOO

By the way: Appendage is listed in the instrumentals as standalone, should it get its own page on ninwiki then, rather than being part of Please?