Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Pics and more pics (this time in color!) from the studio. The extended interviews promised from the 2nd link sound quite promising. Prasad has conducted some pretty engaging interviews with Steven and I'm sure these will be no exception.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Is there some SW bootleg site similar to RITC?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not that I know of. He's against bootlegging so I'd imagine anything that would pop up would be taken down immediately. Which I'm fine with, really.

What's RITC?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    there are some good soundboards from pre-DW tours that go around on torrent sites. especially the Italian TV performance that was recently put on youtube!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if you haven't heard the iliosaarirock performance, you're missing out. it's fantastic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Five more Steven Wilson classic album remixes are to be released this year, including two iconic 80’s albums that reached number 1 in the UK and USA respectively. All should be officially announced over the next few weeks.
    This was on his Facebook from about 2 months ago. One of them I think is almost official.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-14-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Release date February 2015? It looks like the album is almost finished. I just can't wait. His perfectionism always tests my patience.
    And all the clips sound great to me, i'm definitely going to love this album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just glad it's coming out next year so it won't be a Sophie's Choice between it and the Floyd album for my favorite of the year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I am looking forward to the new Floyd album too, although it sounds like a Gilmour solo album.
    But who knows? We've only got three 30-sec clips from a double album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a bunch of Steven Wilson vinyls for sale on ebay here. There are currently items from every project of his (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, I.E.M., and his solo stuff). There's also some NIN and Radiohead stuff. I'll consider any reasonable offer on any of it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I guess the woman singing at the end is the lead singer of Nightwish
    Do you have a source for this?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Honestly, no. I just went by what others on Youtube, etc. were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by hellabryanstyle View Post
    I have a bunch of Steven Wilson vinyls for sale on ebay here. There are currently items from every project of his (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, I.E.M., and his solo stuff). There's also some NIN and Radiohead stuff. I'll consider any reasonable offer on any of it.
    I'm not a vinyl guy but that's a very neat collection you got there.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-15-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellabryanstyle View Post
    wowwwww why is deadwing so pricey?!
    i know why the 4x10" insurgentes is...but i wish it wasn't, because i TOTALLY want that.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I have always wanted the "black Insurgentes" vinyl, but damn those prices...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wowwwww why is deadwing so pricey?!
    i know why the 4x10" insurgentes is...but i wish it wasn't, because i TOTALLY want that.
    DW is and will always be pricey until it gets reissued. considering the legalities, that is next year, i think (ten year agreement afaik).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The prices I listed were just to undercut the next highest guy selling the same thing. The only other copy of Deadwing on black vinyl when I listed mine was 600, so I listed mine for 400 just in case someone jumped on it by comparison. Same deal with Insurgentes. Here is what Deadwing normally goes for - consistently in the 250 range for the last four years, and here is what Insurgentes goes for (about 150-200), so even though my top price is super high, I'm expecting and would accept any offer in those ranges.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Honestly, no. I just went by what others on Youtube, etc. were saying.
    Interesting. There is also speculation that the lady singing is Nick Beggs' daughter, Lula Beggs. She has a gorgeous voice.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I can hear some similarities.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mariusz Duda / Steven Wilson / Alec Wildey - The Old Peace

In honour of poet and devoted music fan Alec Wildey - who died earlier this year at the age of 26 - The Old Peace is a unique collaboration between Steven Wilson and Mariusz Duda (Lunatic Soul / Riverside) who have set one of Alec's poems to music. All profits go to raising money for cancer charities.

Available until the end of January 2015

---------

'Myself and my friend Mariusz Duda have teamed up to record a song together, and for a very special reason.

Alec Wildey was a young fan who for several years had been passionate about our music, actively helping out with promotion as a leading member of the PT and SW street teams from the tender age of 17, and setting up a street team for Mariusz in 2010. Some of you will almost certainly have met Alec, as he attended many of our concerts. If you did you will have found him to be a sensitive, extremely intelligent and articulate young man. He was a devoted and enthusiastic music listener and movie watcher, as well as a self-published poet, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Unfortunately on Christmas Eve 2013 Alec learned he had a cancer of the lymphatic system, followed shortly afterwards by an additional diagnosis of liver cancer. He began a course of aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, but alas to no avail. At the end of July when he understood he had only a short time left, he emailed me to ask if it was possible that his two favourite musicians could set one of his poems to music, a long held dream of his. I immediately agreed but told him I would make a deal with him - I would make it happen if he could hang on long enough to hear it. We even discussed the possibility of him playing drums on the song himself. Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later on 25th August at the age of just 26, and so the idea to record the song has now become about honouring Alec's memory and all too short life, as well as a form of tribute to him and his family. One of Alec's poems The Old Peace has been beautifully set to music by Mariusz and sung and performed by both of us. It is now available to download from Burning Shed for a modest sum in both high resolution FLAC and mp3, with 50% of the proceeds going to the medical centre that cared for Alec during his final months, and 50% going to other cancer support group charities. We would be happy if as many people as possible paid for the official download (so please don't share it or upload it to any other sites) in order to raise as much as we can to help others that find themselves in the same awful situation. The song will be available to download until the end of January 2015, after which all the proceeds will be paid over to the cancer support groups.'

https://www.burningshed.com/store/st...oduct/65/4853/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You can already tell it will be another masterpiece, does this man ever fuck up? damn

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's an intriguing concept. The female singer is certainly a wild card, as is SW writing from a woman's point of view. It could come off great or a little embarrassing for all involved, but I have the utmost faith that won't happen.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    It's an intriguing concept. The female singer is certainly a wild card, as is SW writing from a woman's point of view. It could come off great or a little embarrassing for all involved, but I have the utmost faith that won't happen.
    i don't think him writing from a woman's perspective is that odd. he's written from the perspectives of multiple serial killers, which i would think would be far more difficult/disturbing. writing from a "female" perspective is only a problem if the writer's worldview is extremely narrow (and steven's certainly doesn't seem to be).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I agree. I don't have a whole lot of apprehension for this, I'm as excited as anyone. It's just interesting and remarkable how he manages to grow and stay centered with the musical ideas and forms that have served his music well so far.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Maybe it's me but i don't think that writing as a serial killer is that difficult, certainly i don't think it was for Steven (lol).
    Now him writing as a woman, i think it will be a challenge but he'll be up for it, even in "The Raven that refused to sing" he wrote as several characters and did great, i think he'll use lots of input from his wife.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He isn't married, is he? I know he's had girlfriends so he's not a monk.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The first time i saw him in Mexico he did an Autograph session in a record store and arrived there with the Japanese chick that does the spoken word at the beginning of (Porcupine Tree's) "Tinto Brass", everyone called her "Steven's wife" so i just assumed she was...
    I know too little of his personal life, frankly i don't care since he doesn't want to reveal much, but yeah i guess he was single the whole time, who knew?