Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...
    mindblowing? i liked the first album OK, but the second was kind of wanky on the typical garage riffs and chords angle. for me, grinderman sort of fell short on the promises they were delivering. a lot of people (including the band) compared them to the birthday party, but i didn't hear anything as depraved, raw, and flat out bile-inducing (all good) on any of the grinderman tracks. just kind of seemed like a badseeds record, minus the great literary references and a bunch of wink wink, nod nod goofy sexuality prowling wolf kind of stuff. i was down with the gospel-blues aspect of abbatoir/lyre, but it's been a slow decline for me since then.

i really hope that with this decision to end grinderman, nick and co. really raise the bar soon and come out with something truly great like most/all of the records that preceeded this era (not counting nocturama, blech). nothing on dig lazarus dig was awful, per se (i LOVE 'we call upon the author,' but that's about it), but there was a lot of badseeds-by-numbers stuff on there too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got into Nick Cave when I played Alan Wake and heard Up Jumped the Devil. I thought that it was one of the most badass songs I've ever heard and when I get some money I'm getting Tender Prey and Let Love In.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    If you like '' up jumped the devil'' I would recomend ''Tender Prey'', ''The first born is dead'' and ''From her to eternity'' Those three albums are everything good about the bad seeds. I love all their albums for different reasons however those three for me are the best with the ''good son'' and ''Henry's dream'' coming in after those. I would skip on ''let love in'' untill you have the other five. jmo.

Thanks, I will check them out too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.
    AB/TLoO is seriously one of my favorite albums. It's so fucking good.