Page 21 of 160 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @tony.parente - As do I, and partially due to nostalgia. I'll always like their first 3 albums, along with most of Results May Vary.

@Fist Fuck - And yeah, there's a part of me that also missing the stage destruction. With how buff Trent is now, I could imagine how it would look like. Of course, he doesn't have to run into things, or drop-kick keyboards like he did in 1994-1995, but the idea of him throwing and smashing keyboards and guitars, and kicking keyboards around would still look cool to me. And even more-so while being buff. And it would obviously depend on the song being played too. And there's also the idea of swinging around keyboards by the wire, or smashing mic stands into keyboards. I think he actually did some of those things in 1999-2000.

And if Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson really buried the hatchet, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't find another collaboration appealing. Sure, it's not like they'd have to be "best buds" again, or even tour together, but if that was possible with the right amount of distance and patience added, I really am convinced that a worthwhile collaboration would still be possible.

I also thought that it would really be something else to have Richard Patrick make a guest appearance at an actual NIN concert. I wonder how many fans would go apeshit over that. I know I would.

And I've also always thought that more songs from The Fragile should've been performed. I'd completely agree with you there on that one too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-18-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    B...b...but I like limp bizkit.

I had fred and the guys sign my copy of 3 dollar bill yall and everything earlier this year.

=^_^=
    I remember way back when my radio station had this thing at 11:00pm where they would play two non-mainstream bands/songs, and you had to call in to vote for which one you thought was better. That song went up against a new song the next night. I remember before Limp Bizkit actually hit the scene one of the songs the radio played in that battle was some kind of demo version of Counterfeit. When I heard it I kept my eyes peeled and bought the album when it came out. I introduced a lot of people to them. Then by the time Nookie came out Durst had become some kind of douchebag egomaniac who had that kinda frat boy-esque "I'm the epitome of cool" attitude, and that completely put me off of Limp Bizkit. I just feel that he thinks he's a lot more talented than he actually is, and I can't stand that. I can't stand Billy Corgan either, but at least he's a douchebag with a good amount of talent. Same with Manson. He was kind of a douchebag, but he was interesting and talented. Now he's just kind of a douchebag. If you like any of those bands I'm happy for you. Those are just my personal opinions. I'm sure there are musicians I like that people hate too. Artists with egos just ruin their art for me much the same way I'm not keen on pretty girls with shit personalities.
    Last edited by Tyson; 09-18-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Oh, I knew I almost forgot to include this one entirely: I never really thought of Trent's lyrics as an enormous weakness to his musicianship at all. (And by all means, I am not an expert on lyrics either.) Even his weaker lyrical moments are still good or good enough for me if you will because of the way he's able to tie it in with the music. The least it would probably get from me, would be anywhere between at least a 4 out of 10 to a 7 out of 10.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I remember way back when my radio station had this thing at 11:00pm where they would play two non-mainstream bands/songs, and you had to call in to vote for which one you thought was better. That song went up against a new song the next night. I remember before Limp Bizkit actually hit the scene one of the songs the radio played in that battle was some kind of demo version of Counterfeit. When I heard it I kept my eyes peeled and bought the album when it came out. I introduced a lot of people to them. Then by the time Nookie came out Durst had become some kind of douchebag egomaniac who had that kinda frat boy-esque "I'm the epitome of cool" attitude, and that completely put me off of Limp Bizkit. I just feel that he thinks he's a lot more talented than he actually is, and I can't stand that. I can't stand Billy Corgan either, but at least he's a douchebag with a good amount of talent. Same with Manson. He was kind of a douchebag, but he was interesting and talented. Now he's just kind of a douchebag. If you like any of those bands I'm happy for you. Those are just my personal opinions. I'm sure there are musicians I like that people hate too. Artists with egos just ruin their art for me much the same way I'm not keen on pretty girls with shit personalities.
    I don't listen to Limp Bizkit because they're "good" I listen to them because they're the epitome of shallow douchy bro-rock and sometimes that's
    exactly what some people need.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The song Hot Dog comes to mind.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    Just some random (controversial?) thoughts I'm having reading this thread:

- Fuck Limp Bizkit

- I miss the stage destruction. You know, not the Woodstock '94 kind of stage destruction, that'd look silly now, but the With Teeth era stage destruction. Flying guitars, mic stands, microphones, drinks. I know that with an elaborate production like today's it'd be expensive as hell to destroy things on stage, but there are moments where it wouldn't cause too much damage and add to the show. Watch Terrible Lie on Beside You In Time. Also, Trent taking a sip and then putting the bottle back to its place is sooo HTDA.

- I'd love to see/hear another Marilyn Manson/Trent Reznor collaboration. Different lifestyles aside, I think now that they're both older, and don't seem to hate each other anymore, it'd be a nice experiment. Worst thing that could happen is that "it didn't work".

- Rob Sheridan doesn't get enough credit for his work. I know he DOES get credit, but next to Trent he's THE man that makes NIN (and HTDA) interesting. He really frames the picture with his excellent artworks and art direction.

- Setlists should include at least 7 or 8 songs from The Fragile. Not 2-3.

- Why the fuck isn't Charlie Clouser working with Trent anymore?
    A couple thoughts....

Limp bizkit DOES suck...agreed.

I also miss the stage destruction, but i think that time and place is over. Its a shame because i wish it couldve lasted forever, but that just isnt TR anymore. Thats not to say he wont get pissed here and there and throw a guitar or mic stand, but full stage destruction is over, and we should accept that fact. It was awesome and always will be, but its over.

I really hope TR continues to stay away from manson. Honestly, what could MM bring to the table at this point? Shitty songs(IMHO)? Johnny depp on guitars? Shia Lebouf filming a video? NO THANKS....he really has become a 'starfucker'...

Rob sheridan an amazing artist, and really interprets NIN visually fantastically. But i do love the Russel Mills resurgence....my fav nin artwork era tho is the fragile. Followed by TDS and HM, then WT. All the artwork for WT is fucking amazing...glitch art and NIN def work together...and all the lines creeping all over the place....its awesome. I just wish they wouldve picked a different album cover. Kind of boring, just a nin logo, and no booklet. But the rest of that era's artwork is perfect.

Setlists SHOULD include more fragile....agreed. Best. Album. EVER.

Dont really care about clouser.....cortini rules.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the last half of "All the Love in the World" was a terrible idea.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    How is this for controversial? It would seem more like a random controversial NIN though in a way, and I actually mean it. There are some parts of Head Down that remind me of Korn. There are also parts of In Two that remind me of post-Meteora Linkin Park. (And speaking of which, I'm surprised Linkin Park didn't touch Down In It or Starfuckers, Inc.) And no, I'm not trying to say that NIN took any ideas from either band. I probably didn't need to get that out there, but I mentioned it in case there was a chance of my post being misconstrued for implying just that.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This always seems to happen, but I really enjoy Deep, Starfuckers Inc., Getting Smaller, and Not So Pretty Now. I'd love to see any of those played live.
    With_Teeth was the first album that came out after I got into Nine Inch Nails and it is still my favorite (I put NSPN in before The Collector and Non-Entity in before Home (which is before TLBTB).
    Thought I try sometimes, I generally find Fixed unlistenable.
    The shittier the video, the better it tends to be. Came Back Haunted was a great video for what it was and I think it's important that all NIN videos suck just a little. It gives them character.
    I always find that the second half of NIN albums tend to take longer to get into. It took a good while before I could even remember what was after Satellite and the big chunk of instrumental after Lights In The Sky kind of bogs me down.
    On that note, I really haven't been able to get into any of Trent and Atticus' soundtrack work or Ghosts. I like instrumentals on the albums, but by themselves... I especially find it difficult with Ghosts because of the lack of names (try as I might, I still haven't come up with names for all of them to assist it.)

While we've got Manson in the thread, I've enjoyed the last couple of albums (I'm easy to please and I like all of his stuff just as much as with Trent) but Eat Me, Drink Me has still probably got to be the best thing he's ever recorded. I know most of the Manson fanbase hated it, but forget those twerps. I hated The High End of Low when it came out (thought it grew on me) and as much as I like Born Villain... it's... weird.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The Fragile is so good that wanting more songs from it on the set-lists should be anything but controversial. And as for wanting to hear less and less of The Fragile live? That's where the controversy would be in my opinion.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "The Eater Of Dreams" is a pretty pointless and unsatisfying intro track and should not be the opening of "Hesitation Marks."
    Don't get me wrong, sometimes intros can be amazing (ex: "Pinion") if used properly.
    An intro can create that feeling like when you are on a rollercoaster making its way to the top... the anticipation... here it comes... you're at the top... you made it... you're finally reached the point of no return... and then... you drop... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEW the album begins.
    Metaphorically speaking, of course.
    But "The Eater Of Dreams" does nothing... just meanders... and I feel makes the album begin on a stutter step.
    It's just noises... and not even good noises. Feels like it's just slapped on to the beginning of the album.
    Now if "Copy Of A" kicked off the album... that would have been great. BAM! You're right in the middle of it and the album just only started.
    I skip track 1 and just start the album on "Copy Of A."

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    "The Eater Of Dreams" is a pretty pointless and unsatisfying intro track and should not be the opening of "Hesitation Marks."
    Don't get me wrong, sometimes intros can be amazing (ex: "Pinion") if used properly.
    An intro can create that feeling like when you are on a rollercoaster making its way to the top... the anticipation... here it comes... you're at the top... you made it... you're finally reached the point of no return... and then... you drop... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEW the album begins.
    But "The Eater Of Dreams" does nothing... just meanders... and I feel makes the album begin on a stutter step.
    It's just noises... and not even good noises. Feels like it's just slapped on to the beginning of the album.
    Now if "Copy Of A" kicked off the album... that would have been great. BAM! You're right in the middle of it and the album just only started.
    I disagree. I think The Eater Of Dreams sets up the album perfectly. It sounds like a sick heart beating away, and it sets up the uneasy feeling that slithers through the album.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I agree on Eater entirely.
    Shame that Alessandro got a co-writing credit on such a pointless thing and not on a real song.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The group of fans that think any and everything is part of the ARG, even going as far as to retroactively include stuff, needs to just get over it. Maybe there were ARG like elements in With Teeth, but that was a whole other animal that never came to fruition. YZ expounded on the general idea and got it right. And seeing as how the only two things that could legitimately be linked to, and further the ARG mythos, the YZ TV show and the YZ2 album (which Trent said would be out sometime next year almost seven years ago) are never going to happen... yeah. It's over. And grasping at straws ( No. That high school band photo of Trent isn't part of the ARG.) is making you look a bit insane now. Move on.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I sort of half-agree
    I love the track, but as an intro it doesn't really segue well into Copy of A, which already sort of has its own intro and, stylistically, doesn't really match Eater at all. it would've worked better segueing into almost any track on the album. (I think Eater-> CBH sounds pretty rad, myself.)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The group of fans that think any and everything is part of the ARG, even going as far as to retroactively include stuff, needs to just get over it. Maybe there were ARG like elements in With Teeth, but that was a whole other animal that never came to fruition. YZ expounded on the general idea and got it right. And seeing as how the only two things that could legitimately be linked to, and further the ARG mythos, the YZ TV show and the YZ2 album (which Trent said would be out sometime next year almost seven years ago) are never going to happen... yeah. It's over. And grasping at straws ( No. That high school band photo of Trent isn't part of the ARG.) is making you look a bit insane now. Move on.
    I think this post is part of an ARG.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

6) He's too busy ridin' 20s, nucca.
    ha! had to laugh that this comment, I remember when this was going down on ETS back in the day, everyone was going crazy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I think this post is part of an ARG.
    It is. Just not the YZ ARG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ektoise

August 28 via mobile

Massively disappointed with the new Nine Inch Nails album... It's complete rubbish. I feel really embarrassed for Trent.

https://www.facebook.com/ektoise

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Rose tinted specs - HM is nothing PHM or WT wasn't

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    HTDA opinion: An Omen >>>>> Welcome Oblivion

There isn't a single new song on WO that I'd prefer over Speaking in Tongues and The Sleep of Reason...

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    I think the last half of "All the Love in the World" was a terrible idea.
    You shut your dirty mouth.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This makes me wish Meathead wrote something about this. (Or he probably did and I just missed out on it.) I could actually understand people speculating about the ARG being connected to The Slip though, but even then, I still wouldn't be too sure about it. I just leave it with Year Zero right where it belongs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since all of Trent's stuff is thematically and sonically similar (in that it's dark, either personal or outwardly judgmental of society, and has cryptic/terse lyrics), it's fun to speculate that it's all connected. I don't think anyone really thinks it's all an ongoing ARG.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Rose tinted specs - HM is nothing PHM or WT wasn't
    I was also one of the fans that admitted to getting a huge Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth vibe from Hesitation Marks, especially when I saw the live version of Copy Of A. I really liked it in a Head Like A Hole, Down In It, and Only kind of way. Various Methods Of Escape also reminds me of With Teeth, as in the actual song With Teeth.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    I don't think anyone really thinks it's all an ongoing ARG.
    Oh, they exist. I remember on old ETS there were a few that stopped just short of killing people that didn't agree with them that Ghosts was part of the ARG.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Option 30 is also part of the ARG. It's not clear now but it will be in a couple years when Rob perfects the time machine he's working on (which is also part of the ARG).

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Slam Bamboo is the true conspiracy behind all of this.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-06-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The covers for YZ and The Slip are ugly. I really, really do not like them. Ow, yeah... and covers for An Omen and Welcome Oblivion are just hideous.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_b View Post
    The covers for YZ and The Slip are ugly. I really, really do not like them. Ow, yeah... and covers for An Omen and Welcome Oblivion are just hideous.
    Year Zero is def.....different. Its not bad, but its like, who's driving that car? Couldve used a better presence photo...but im ok with it. The slip is pretty awesome, in my opinion. An omen is just whatever but welcome oblivion is very cool.

Controversial opinion- ive recently been jamming ghosts....as HM has made me go back and listen to everything all over again...and ghosts has some REAL gems on it. I wish TR wouldve taken the best 16 songs, fleshed them out a little more, and added lyrics. That wouldve been the best NIN album ever! Very fragile-esque but with that newer NIN static feel to it. Even combine a few ghosts together into one song....drastic changes in one song...a more prog sound. Fuck it wouldve been great. It couldve even stayed a double album. In my dreams.

But i still love it the way it is....
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 09-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.