Page 61 of 160 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    It's either very awesome or very terrible how nin fans constantly have trouble defining the genre.
    If someone asks me what Nine Inch Nails sounds like, I have to lead in with "it depends what album we're talking about." But "Industrial Rock and Roll mixed with a little Trance" is a fairly decent, if understated and overly simplified, overall description if you're in a bind.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've often found myself saying Nine Inch Nails is industrial rock, industrial metal and alternative rock, but sometimes simplify it down to calling it a combination of rock and pop depending on who I'm speaking to, especially if they don't really listen to rock music, and which albums and songs I'm referring to. It's also hard for me not to do that whenever I'm discussing Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I find myself describing the feel of it: angry, abrasive, corrosive.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    When someone brings up the little point that he writes "depressing, sad and angry music", I've started chiming in with something along the lines of "yes, he writes about really harsh topics like anger, depression, addiction, abandonment and the like, but it's not just about 'woe is me', it's also about survival. He's dealt with all of these things, but he's overcome every single one of them, and his music reflects that. If he has a song about addiction on an earlier album, he'll have another song about beating it on a later one."

I don't try to make someone like music that they obviously don't, I just try and help them respect and understand why I like it. Even if I hate a band, I try to give respect where it's due. Unless it's something like Brokencyde or Justin Bieber, in which case respect is impossible

Case in point: I was hanging out with my guitar player and a couple of his friends one night, and we were talking about music. One of them got pissy and left the room when Country was brought up (he's very closed minded and childish about things he doesn't like), but the other guy and I sat there talking for a long time about it. He's a major Country fan, and I'm not. I'm into lots of bands that he doesn't like. But we sat there talking about why we like the bands we like (the feel of the song, lyric content and flow, voice, etc...) and playing favorite examples from our favorite groups and analyzing it for each other. He showed me some Country songs that aren't the typical "cars and beer and girls in cowboy boots with American flag tramp stamps" type that you hear on the radio, and I have to say that some of the lyrics really were amazingly written. Then I played some Rock songs (Nine Inch Nails was featured heavily, of course), and got him to listen to the words and what they meant. We both had healthy "holy shit" moments of realization, and we each left with a newfound respect for each other's music. We still don't like what each other listens to, but we can respect and understand each other's tastes and not bitch about them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Unexpectedly getting my hands on AVOTT in 1080p was a perfect excuse to watch it again.

I find it remarkable how creatively risky the Ghosts segment was. It's really the closest thing to a Bridge School/Still tour we've seen, and here it is in the middle of a show that's also our first live exposure to The Slip and even (for the US) YZ — three wildly different versions of NIN. And Ghosts Piggy as the cherry on top.

And then that gets me thinking about the risks taken with Tension. It's kind of a dumb thing for me to say — seeing how I was totally oblivious for the previous 19 years — but 2008–14 seems like the best time to be a NIN fan ever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Trent has just gone down hill personally. Manson seems to be doing more interesting things as of late.
    2007-Present Manson > 2007-Present Trent
    This is going to get me some major shit.
    This is where I went full retard. I shall never go full retard again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Only El-P remix and EDIETS remix (I won't even bother trying to remember who made it) are the only remixes on the EDIETS single worth a shit. In fact, they're just as good as the originals.

YZ Remixed is also the worst remix album IMO. The only tracks I enjoyed were the Modwheelmood mix of TGD and Warning mix.

TFA would be the strongest remix album if the Starfuckers versions weren't included and The New Flesh and the La Mer and Even Deeper mixes were in their place.
    Last edited by GlitchyFlame; 12-25-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Added opinion

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is where I went full retard. I shall never go full retard again.
    Thank goodness that Nine Inch Nails is perfect music regarding coping and recovery from going there. I've also been there quite a bit as well, so I can definitely relate. I just felt like getting that out there.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    "Rain, rain, go away" sounds way cooler when it's Robin doing his Axl Rose voice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    HM's lyrics are just as stupid as PHM's.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    HM's lyrics are just as stupid as PHM's.
    There's nothing as unintentionally hilarious as "Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry." on Hesitation Marks, so I respectfully disagree.

Since we're on the topic, Trent has never been a great lyricist in my opinion. He's had his moments, but to me, it's the raw emotion that Trent brings to the lyrics through his vocals as well as the production that surrounds them that make them work, not the lyrics themselves.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-28-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    There's nothing as unintentionally hilarious as "Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry." on Hesitation Marks, so I respectfully disagree.

Since we're on the topic, Trent has never been a great lyricist in my opinion. He's had his moments, but to me, it's the raw emotion that Trent brings to the lyrics through his vocals as well as the production that surrounds them that make them work, not the lyrics themselves.
    Trent may never be hailed as a great lyricist (I.e. Dylan), but he's someone that you can really relate to, so I like his lyrics, as is.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-29-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Exactly. Agree, whole-heartedly. TR's vocals have always been so honest in terms of tone and emotion, you can't help but try to find meaning, inspiration and feeling in the lyrics....and it works, for whatever reason. TR does a good job selling it (especially with early NIN).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

I'll disagree, on both accounts, but specifically the HM comment. Just listen to All Time Low for how far Trent reaches to rhyme. And in Running he has to say that word at least 100 times.

EDIT: I've probably contradicted myself but what I meant is there's both hits and misses. He's got some great lyrics in a lot of songs IMHO.
    Last edited by Krazy; 12-29-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    There's nothing as unintentionally hilarious as "Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry
    I've always liked that line, never found it corny tbh.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I'll disagree, on both accounts, but specifically the HM comment. Just listen to All Time Low for how far Trent reaches to rhyme. And in Running he has to say that word at least 100 times.

EDIT: I've probably contradicted myself but what I meant is there's both hits and misses. He's got some great lyrics in a lot of songs IMHO.
    He wrote Running just because of the RunNINg part.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    He wrote Running just because of the RunNINg part.
    How does one pronounce a backwards N? "Neh"?

"ruhn-in-ehing" ???

Also on the topic of HM there's Copy of a's Fight Club rip off and CBHau-hau-haunted (hopefully needs no explanation).
    Last edited by Krazy; 12-29-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've always liked that line, never found it corny tbh.
    Just imagine Trent from The Perfect Drug slipping and falling into a big puddle of his own tears and you'll see what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't know how controversial this is, but look-wise, long dreadlocks Trent is the best Trent.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    That look and the look he had for The Perfect Drug seem to be the least liked looks from what I've noticed.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    That look and the look he had for The Perfect Drug seem to be the least liked looks from what I've noticed.
    People who'd say TPD is the least liked are forgetting this:

Last edited by implanted_microchip; 01-01-2015 at 03:08 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    TPD Trent looks awesome

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Agreed. I sometimes imagined what it would've been like if he toured The Fragile with that look. I also liked how he joked about his hair when he received an ASCAP Golden Note Award.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    NO!!! TPD he's got that 16th century (or whatever years) pedo-stache going on...

Maybe the worst though is early W_T era emo doo. Looks like he smelled a fart in this pic...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just listened to the Bowler remix of While I'm Still Here on a great pair of speakers and, WOW. I am blown away. This is the best official remix in years.

I would say that it's as good as the original.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    People who'd say TPD is the least liked is forgetting this:

lol, that image lasted for like 5 minutes then he turned into The Hulk. What happened there?!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    In keeping with the inescapable truth that every NIN fan has a different set of opinions, I think Emo Trent is one of the better Trents, and Count Trentula is the worst.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    lol, that image lasted for like 5 minutes then he turned into The Hulk. What happened there?!
    Seriously. Every time I see those pics I think of TF era, think @sheepdean let me know they are in fact from circa 2005

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I don't think he juiced, but I think he may have eaten his own body weight in protein powder at some point between WT and YZ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wasn't the TPD look a joke? I thought it was just part of the music video parody/homage style.