Page 60 of 160 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've also figured, but also meant in the case that such a thing didn't happen as a means for the sake of speculation and imagination. That probably could've also changed the overall decision process, development, sound and direction of Nine Inch Nails as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-26-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Seeing Demon Seed live would be way cooler than seeing The Perfect Drug, Last, or WITT live.

This also applies to All The Love In The World, which I missed, dammit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Seeing Demon Seed live would be way cooler than seeing The Perfect Drug, Last, or WITT live.

This also applies to All The Love In The World, which I missed, dammit.
    Demon Seed live! Will this ever happen!?! God I hope so.

I don't know if I'd say it'd be better than TPD or WITT, but I sure as shit would love to see it!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Speaking of The Perfect Drug, here's my latest opinion:

I'd rather hear Driver Down played live than The Perfect Drug.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Speaking of The Perfect Drug, here's my latest opinion:

I'd rather hear Driver Down played live than The Perfect Drug.
    fuck yes. especially if trent actually plays the sax part. that song is SO GOOD.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    If we're talking about songs we'd like to hear live more than other songs, I'd have to put his version of Zoo Station damn near the top of my list.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I actually don't want And All That Could Have Been played live at a typical NIN show because I can already see myself standing there trying to be blown away as I watch dozens of people file out to go piss, get beer, etc., hear people talk over the verses nonstop and the audience in general ruining the experience for me.

I've been fairly worried about a Still style tour, honestly, because I can see a lot of people going to see it, not realizing that's what it's like, then complaining or booing that there's no HLAH, Wish, Closer, etc. and in general being little fuckheads. As much as I really want to see something like that, I really don't want to deal with it being tarnished by that kind of audience. They'd have to really be specific in marketing the tour.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I've been fairly worried about a Still style tour, honestly, because I can see a lot of people going to see it, not realizing that's what it's like, then complaining or booing that there's no HLAH, Wish, Closer, etc. and in general being little fuckheads. As much as I really want to see something like that, I really don't want to deal with it being tarnished by that kind of audience. They'd have to really be specific in marketing the tour.
    That's why, if Trent should decide to undertake such a tour, it shouldn't be in the typical venues that would normally host a Nine Inch Nails show. No stadiums. No amphitheaters. MAYBE a couple clubs where it'll be received better. Basically it should stick to venues that are used to seeing orchestras, string quartets, and solo piano players. That's how you'll weed out a good portion of those fans who will bitch about a show like that.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It would best be done in small theater-style venues. (Pabst Theatre here in Milwaukee comes to mind- Google it)

And honestly I don't even want that type of "tour" (just my opinion, don't shoot me). I wouldn't be one of the jackasses talking loud or whatever but can imagine it being incredibly boring. Golf claps and crickets.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I actually don't want And All That Could Have Been played live at a typical NIN show because I can already see myself standing there trying to be blown away as I watch dozens of people file out to go piss, get beer, etc., hear people talk over the verses nonstop and the audience in general ruining the experience for me.

I adore the acoustic side of NIN, but I'm actually inclined to agree... while I love special, one-off acoustic things like the CRC sessions or Bridge School, I don't think a tour in that style would be fun.

What WOULD be fun is if live NIN became more like HTDA live, or like the first two radio performances during the With Teeth tour, instead of just the basic rock band format it's been since the beginning. I think older songs are awesome in that style (like Head Like A Hole in the radio sessions, or the Warm Leatherette cover) AND new songs obviously beg to be performed that way anyway (like Copy Of A in the non-live-drum versions over the last year). That's the live NIN I wanna see.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sometimes I go to play The Slip, then I realize that only really Lights In The Sky onwards interests me, then I don't listen to it.
    Last edited by Ryan; 11-14-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I adore the acoustic side of NIN, but I'm actually inclined to agree... while I love special, one-off acoustic things like the CRC sessions or Bridge School, I don't think a tour in that style would be fun.
    As opposed to what?! Of course it would be fucking fun!!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    As opposed to what?! Of course it would be fucking fun!!!
    I didn't even think I was going controversial with that, haha. It just feels like the venues he's done the acoustic thing so far (one off performances, EPs) are the exact perfect way to get those things out there. Do I want more? Absolutely. A tour? ...I dunno. I love Bridge School and I love the revamped songs on Still, but I'm WAY more excited by the way he revamped HLAH in that radio session with Peter Murphy, or the revamped Sanctified we've been enjoying this last year.

Look how in his element Trent seems in the Warm Leatherette video (Atticus, too!). I want THAT tour before I want the TR & piano tour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A tour in this manner wouldn't cross the U.S.
    Its doubtful it'd even play in Chicago.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I would absolutely go to a show or two on a tour like that if it ever happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love NIN and all. My 3rd, 4th or 2nd favorite band (can't decide) and all... I enjoyed HM (less than a year ago- now that the hype is gone. 7.5 or 8 / 10 )

So here we go-

Not counting Ghosts.. NIN hasn't really put out anything AMAZING (IMO) since The Fragile (my favorite) the Still CD. Year Zero is closest album that I consider very good and not just *good*.

I hope Trent experiments more for the future album. He should use more instruments and fuck around with non-traditional song structure.

The Slip was didn't hold my attention. Least favorite album.

What was up with that PBS thing? I did not watch it, but the idea seems funny.

I hate that NIN has become the Metallica of mainstream industrial rock.

Hurt is overrated, NIN has better songs in that vein.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Drone View Post
    What was up with that PBS thing? I did not watch it, but the idea seems funny
    Maybe watch things before you judge them

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Explain please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What groups are "mainstream industrial rock"?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Lady Gaga and Carly Rae Jepson.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I love NIN and all. My 3rd, 4th or 2nd favorite band (can't decide) and all... I enjoyed HM (less than a year ago- now that the hype is gone. 7.5 or 8 / 10 )

So here we go-

Not counting Ghosts.. NIN hasn't really put out anything AMAZING (IMO) since The Fragile (my favorite) the Still CD. Year Zero is closest album that I consider very good and not just *good*.

I hope Trent experiments more for the future album. He should use more instruments and fuck around with non-traditional song structure.

The Slip was didn't hold my attention. Least favorite album.

What was up with that PBS thing? I did not watch it, but the idea seems funny.

Hurt is overrated, NIN has better songs in that vein.
    mainstream industrial rock are bands like Orgy, Stabbing Westward, Manson and Static X....poser hot topic shit who's fans never heard of Ministry or Skinny Puppy. I wouldnt call NIN mainstream industrial, altho when he plays shit like the Grammys or goes on tour with bands like QOTSA and Soundgarden, he does seem to be catering to mainstream rock in general a lot more these days

Hurt IS overrated. Something I Can Never Have shits all over it

the PBS thing was lame as fuck, so you are right on that.

HM is a lot worse than Slip. At least Slip has some aggro songs unlike HM which is TR mumbling the whole time or doing disco funk songs. plus 'lights in the sky' is one of the best slow songs he has ever done.

and you are right that he hasnt done anything "amazing' since Fragile/Still era......most bands 10 plus years into their career dont put anything amazing out....
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 11-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    What is "the PBS thing"? ACL?!

ACL was fucking incredible! If you haven't watched that, you're really missing out on a treat!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    ...unlike HM which is TR mumbling the whole time or doing disco funk songs...
    I'm glad you finally admitted to never having listened to the album.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    mainstream industrial rock are bands like Orgy, Stabbing Westward, Manson and Static X.....
    All dead. Apart from Manson, who hasn't made anything remotely "Industrial Rock" since EMDM. If NIN has become the Metallica of Industrial Rock, first of all it means I really underrate Metallica, and secondly it means there still are Industrial Rock bands around... As far as I know, they all have moved to EDM-rock.
    Not to mention that at this point, if NIN is Industrial Rock, then Radiohead is Brit-Pop...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *I know NIN are beyond "Industrial rock" but it's what they're known for. NIN is pretty much the gateway/ambassador.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Maybe watch things before you judge them
    Maybe one day, anything make it stand out from any other NIN 2013-recent show?

Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Explain please.
    NIN is cool to like the same way Metallica are. NIN has become "OMG liked" by more people than ever now.

For example: My vest has like 15-18 bands and on it- and NIN gets the most compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    What groups are "mainstream industrial rock"?
    Mainstream industrial doesn't mean bad or even straight up industrial. But generally bands who got recognized and make catchy rock/metal songs with industrial elements/influences. Bands like NIN, Filter, White/Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Stabbing Westward, Ministry, Marilyn Manson... ect even though NIN, Rammstein and Rob Zombie are generally more accepted/ok to like than Manson is.

mainstream industrial rock are bands like Orgy, Stabbing Westward, Manson and Static X....poser hot topic shit who's fans never heard of Ministry or Skinny Puppy. I wouldnt call NIN mainstream industrial, altho when he plays shit like the Grammys or goes on tour with bands like QOTSA and Soundgarden, he does seem to be catering to mainstream rock in general a lot more these days
    I like a good number of bands and to me those bands range from awesome to good- none bad in my opinion (even if Orgy only have 2 good albums and I stopped caring about Static-X after Machine.. but they weren't too bad) I like Ministry. I love Skinny Puppy who are probably my 3rd or 2nd favorite band behind or after NIN with Manson being my #1 favorite band for 15 years. But I still think NIN are more "mainstream" than Manson because they're more acceptable. More liked by people. It's not a bad thing, it's just what it is.

Hurt IS overrated. Something I Can Never Have shits all over it
    And All That Could Have Been and The Great Below are 10x better than Hurt.

HM is a lot worse than Slip. At least Slip has some aggro songs unlike HM which is TR mumbling the whole time or doing disco funk songs. plus 'lights in the sky' is one of the best slow songs he has ever done.
    HM had some interesting stuff that made me want to listen to it over 5 times in the first day. Probably heard it every day that week. The Slip I heard a few times, thought it was okay and that was it. I should listen to it again though, it's been years since I heard the Slip as a whole.
    Last edited by Dan Drone; 11-25-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Weird. Been listening to MM since his earliest days and never thought of him or the band as "industrial".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Weird. Been listening to MM since his earliest days and never thought of him or the band as "industrial".
    His band always had that influence, but it was never really prominent enough to be fully considered that. But casual people/media refer to that band as "shock rock" or "industrial shock rockers" for the most part.
    Last edited by Dan Drone; 11-25-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    His band always had that influence, but it was never really prominent enough to be fully considered that. But casual people/media refer to that band as "shock rock" or "industrial shock rockers" for the most part.

Yeah, after I posted that I wasn't even sure what to categorize MM after thinking. There's some industrial in there at times. There's even some nu metal I guess. In the end his voice and image is so distinct it kind of comes down to "goth" rock or something I suppose, like you stated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yeah, after I posted that I wasn't even sure what to categorize MM after thinking. There's some industrial in there at times. There's even some nu metal I guess. In the end his voice and image is so distinct it kind of comes down to "goth" rock or something I suppose, like you stated.

Well generally it's hard rock or alternative hard rock with glam, classic rock, industrial, post-punk, death rock, metal, goth and other musical influences. I do like how "Glamdustrial" or (lately) "Bluesdustrial" sounds though
    Last edited by Dan Drone; 11-26-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It's either very awesome or very terrible how nin fans constantly have trouble defining the genre.