Page 34 of 150 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    i'm guessing somewhere between marginally and not at all. but who knows . . .
    Yeah, too bad he doesn't take to Twitter as much as he did before.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    NINs most recent albums just don't get my blood flowing as much as some of the earlier albums.

Note: Demon Seed is gold and a few trax off YZ are pure power. I don't dislike the music by any means, I'll just admit that I would like some hard, raw, live studio songs. Hard Rock.. even dip slightly into metal.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm not sure, A Warm Place is a copy of the same melody. I filed it under rather being a copy of the mood and arrangement of Bowies piece. Why did he decide to copy it? Maybe he thought a song like that would fit the album's sequence, so he produced it. You could also see it as an homage, I guess. Trents an avid Bowie fan, so he knew exactly what he was doing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I'm not sure, A Warm Place is a copy of the same melody. I filed it under rather being a copy of the mood and arrangement of Bowies piece. Why did he decide to copy it? Maybe he thought a song like that would fit the album's sequence, so he produced it. You could also see it as an homage, I guess. Trents an avid Bowie fan, so he knew exactly what he was doing.

I believe him tbh, though I'd happily call bullshit on "didn't know it was the Tate house" and certain other things he's said.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I know that clip and I don't want to call him a liar, but he certainly has a history of inventing narratives for the public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I know that clip and I don't want to call him a liar, but he certainly has a history of inventing narratives for the public.
    Trent agrees haha

Int the context of your post, the end of this quote made me laugh.

at that point I was living in the Sharon Tate house recordingDownward Spiral. And as stupid as it sounds now, that genuinely wasn't a case of, "What's the most ridiculously extreme thing I can do to get attention?" Flood and I were looking for a place in New Orleans to record in, but we couldn't find anywhere that was right. The only houses we could find that were cool were in residential areas, and we didn't want to spend ages soundproofing a house, and we knew we were going to be making loud music in the middle of the night. Jimmy Iovine from Interscope said, "Why don't you come over to LA? I'll set up ten houses for you to look at and you choose one." We hadn't really spent any time in LA so we went for it. We looked at eight or nine houses that day and that house was the perfect place. It had a beautiful view, it was up on a hill, it was a small ranch house. It had a cool vibe, honestly. I wasn't thinking about Charles Manson - I mean why would I be?
    Anyway, that night I told a friend where we were thinking of renting, and he said, "You know - that's where those Manson murders took place." Like anyone else my age those murders had freaked me out when I was younger but I hadn't thought of them in years. He had a copy of a book on them at his house, so we started leafing through it. I thought, "Well, it kind of looks familiar." But then I saw a picture of a ladder leading up into the loft - the ladder I had just climbed that day to see what was up there. I was like, "Oh my God, that is that house." And when he asked if I was still going to rent the place I said, "Fuck yeah, we gotta rent that house." Not realising that it would be the narrative for the next 20 years.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Heresy is a boring track overall.

Hurt (album version) is nearly unlistenable thanks to the distortion effects.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Heresy is a boring track overall.

Hurt (album version) is nearly unlistenable thanks to the distortion effects.
    what makes it boring, to you? (not being confrontational, being conversational)

which distortion effects do you mean? on the guitars during the chorus?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what makes it boring, to you? (not being confrontational, being conversational)

which distortion effects do you mean? on the guitars during the chorus?
    It starts out strong, pumps you up, just like Ruiner for example, but it just leaves you hangin'. I can't stand to listen to "your god is dead, and no one cares [...]", because that chorus wasn't interesting (musically) to begin with, and it's especially not when you hear it for the 6th time during the same song. Heresy is like THTF or CBH without being catchy or dancy; it has everything your typical mainstream music has (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-pumped up chorus), but it still tries to be "TDS-ish", which is just not possible (no, even Closer is not that mainstream). The only songs on TDS which have the same structure are Mr. Self Destruct and Reptile, but MrSD takes you from the start, has an interesting solo part, and its' chorus is much digestable (probably thanks to being faster), which actually makes you want to listen to the song again, while Reptile has its' own vibe. You either love the album version of Reptile, or just barely ever listen to it, like me, but I can still appreciate that version. It's somewhat like Closer.

Howewer, with Heresy, when I reach the first chorus I feel like I'm listening to the song for the 1000000000000000000000000th time. It striked me yesterday, when I decided not to skip Heresy after a year, and I'm the guy who probably will never be tired of THTF, but it just doesn't work. It's not angry enough (unlike Ruiner), it's not catchy enough (unlike THTF), it's not dancy enough (unlike Discipline), it just says "fuck religion" which always been a controversial statement, so it remains relevant, because there's not many NIN tack that defies God this openly, so I can see how this could be the go-to song for some people. Still, other NIN songs mentioning God are much much deeper and emotional, Heresy is bleeding heavily on the lyrics-department as well. Being blunt did wonders for Closer, but for Heresy, well, it's like a one hit wonder. First you have a big grin how cool and funny Trent is ("if there is a hell/I see you there"), then you listen to The Wretched or Terrible Lie, and you realize how it should've been done.

Edit: also, it fails being "TDS-ish". The Becoming, IDNWT, Piggy, just to name a few are all unique in a way. What can Heresy show up?

About Hurt, I didn't even realize how screwed the original version was until I saw Hurt (Quiet) on the deluxe edition. I was like "why is it quiet? it's almost the quitest song on the album already", and it turns out that the vocals on the original version are actually mildly distorted, which is fuuuuuuucking annoying once you realize it. People complain about the filter in RWIB, well, it's way way way worse. It actually irrates my ears, which the last thing I want from a song, especially from one that should put you in the mood.
    Last edited by Volband; 02-13-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    People complain about the filter in RWIB, well, it's way way way worse. It actually irrates my ears, which the last thing I want from a song, especially from one that should put you in the mood.
    Are we listening to the same song? I'm pretty sure the vocals on Right Where It Belongs are MUCH more processed than the vocals on Hurt.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Are we listening to the same song? I'm pretty sure the vocals on Right Where It Belongs are MUCH more processed than the vocals on Hurt.
    They are, but they are listenable without getting a headache. Being annoying for your conscious that it would've been much better without the processing (RWIB) and something ripping your ears apart (Hurt) are two very different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...when I decided not to skip Heresy after a year...
    Wow, and I thought I was the only one here. I've skipped it consistently for 15 years. And I agree with you on the lyrical content. However, I had a female buddy in high school who sang the song to me (yes, she did) and that might have been the only time I found it palatable.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I kinda agree about Hurt, Hurt (Quiet) is just so much better

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I honestly don't think there's much of a difference between the two to really say that one is better than the other. Aside from slightly less distortion and the beginning and end shortened, it's pretty much the same song. It's basically like comparing radio edits to the album versions. Not saying you can't compare and contrast the two, but it seems kind of pointless in my opinion.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I’m sensitive to the same stuff Volband is talking about. Much as I understand the reasons for it, the distortion in Hurt is enough to distract me from what I like about the song, so I play (Quiet) instead.

The bigger problem for me is the end of TDS (the song). With all the bass filtered out, it doesn’t have the impact I think it should — but maybe that was the whole idea. Plus it’s tough to listen to on headphones.

The fuzz in RWIB is easier to live with. If you restrict yourself to v2, you’re missing too much of the texture.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    The bigger problem for me is the end of TDS (the song). With all the bass filtered out, it doesn’t have the impact I think it should — but maybe that was the whole idea. Plus it’s tough to listen to on headphones.
    Yeah, until the Wave Goodbye tour I didn't even consider TDS a song, when in reality, it would be awesome without the filter.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Does anyone else find the ending of "Closer To God" to be almost unbearable? I love that track to bits, but the way the cacophony builds and builds at the very end is almost too intense. I can tell that it's meant to be that way and it's actually kind of cool that they found a way to push your listening to its absolute limits like that, but damn.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Does anyone else find the ending of "Closer To God" to be almost unbearable? I love that track to bits, but the way the cacophony builds and builds at the very end is almost too intense. I can tell that it's meant to be that way and it's actually kind of cool that they found a way to push your listening to its absolute limits like that, but damn.
    I can survive that only because I have all of my music going through a reverb filter to fight the “inside your head” effect of headphones. Otherwise the way the sound breaks up at the very end would make my teeth explode. (Ow.)

Sometimes I think TR never listens to his stuff through headphones. Obviously he has less sensitive teeth…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I can survive that only because I have all of my music going through a reverb filter to fight the “inside your head” effect of headphones. Otherwise the way the sound breaks up at the very end would make my teeth explode. (Ow.)
    curious how you do this. is there an "app" (or program on the computer) for that? or do you use, like, a dedicated processor on your home system?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    curious how you do this. is there an "app" (or program on the computer) for that? or do you use, like, a dedicated processor on your home system?
    It’s a very roundabout thing that I stumbled upon by accident. OS X has a built-in set of audio filters for programs like GarageBand to use, and a couple of programs by Rogue Amoeba (Audio Hijack Pro and Nicecast) can apply them in real time to the audio passing through the system.

As if that’s not obscure enough for you, I ended up tinkering with a combo of two Matrix Reverb filters to get my pseudo-crossfeed effect — thanks to the reverb, audio from one channel bleeds into the other, which is how you get the sound field outside your head.

(A bonus of using reverb to do this is that everything sounds like it’s coming out of big-ass speakers in a concert hall.)

There’s a commercial thing called Dolby Headphone that does this sort of crossfeed (but without the reverb). I heard it in a Windows DVD player app years ago and became obsessed with it. My duct-tape version is the only one I know of that isn’t limited to certain media players or audio hardware, aside from having a Mac.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 02-15-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trents lost it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    rarely do i post but i have to say i cannot handle the two ladies hes got on his tour. ruins the sound.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimh View Post
    rarely do i post but i have to say i cannot handle the two ladies hes got on his tour. ruins the sound.
    I assume you mean last tour. Or you've been confused by Ally's hair

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    i love it. but i also listen to throbbing gristle pretty regularly.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Multiple Trents? As in the various copies he is of himself?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think he meant to say "Trent slots it". I had no idea he had a gambling problem.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I think he meant to say "Trent slots it". I had no idea he had a gambling problem.
    http://godgiven.ytmnd.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent has no more talent

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent is a ham sandwich.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I feel like Copy of A (the user) is a very specific chat bot programmed to state random opinions about NIN.