Page 34 of 160 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    I knew it was a common instrument...for some reason I thought it was some weird sound/instrument they were using. I agree, it is a breath of fresh air, but it just ruins the whole vibe of the album for me at that point.
    Have you seen it live?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    it just ruins the whole vibe of the album for me at that point.
    maybe that's sort of the point. the saxaphone part is sort of signaling that's it's the end of the album (like a cadence). but it's a false ending because "black noise" comes after (like a coda).

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I like the sax in WISH. It's nice.

Black Noise live > Black Noise studio. The girls and Ilan really stands out in this track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Have you seen it live?

I haven't. That's probably why I didn't know it was a sax to begin with until now

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I haven't. That's probably why I didn't know it was a sax to begin with until now
    Get your ass on youtube and watch that delicious 14-song DVD teaser they put up!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Get your ass on youtube and watch that delicious 14-song DVD teaser they put up!
    Ok, I finally had some time to sit down and watch the video tonight, and I agree with what Charmingly Miserable said, except I'll apply that to While I'm Still Here as well I like the sax better hearing it live than I do compared with the studio version.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    There's a song that appears to be a second attempt at remixing Only on EL-P's 2008 tour exclusive cd-r: http://www.discogs.com/EL-P-Weareall...elease/1334846
    So, I found that remix and I love it to death. I seriously wake up and it's in my head. Good stuff. Replay, replay, replay....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Sidenote: I love Trent's guest spot on El-P's Flyentology. I wonder how much input Trent had in that track. I hear a lot of it.
    Ooo, haven't heard that one. There's still a lot of El-P for me to go through. <plink sound as album hits playlist>
    Finally came up in the queue this morning. It’s been so long that I’d forgotten about it, and I was wondering why the intro on the Cassettes Won’t Listen Remix sounded so much like NIN. Then I heard the backing vocals on the chorus and said to myself, “That has got to be Trent Reznor.”

So I’m not totally deaf.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 12-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I like the sax in WISH. It's nice.

Black Noise live > Black Noise studio. The girls and Ilan really stands out in this track.
    Black noise live is FUCKING FARKING AWESOME. it was one of the high points for me of the show and Id have bet my left foot I would NEVER say that before I walked in that night to see the show.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I skip Black Noise when listening to the album, but I have to say... the live version rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I fucking love "Everything" and I don't think it's the happy song everyone seems to think it is.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think all the controversial NIN opinions have decamped for the Grammys/Beats threads (and anyplace billpulsipher turns up).

So … Skinny Puppy’s Dig It > Down in It?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I haven't liked anything since Still.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    I haven't liked anything since Still.
    I don't believe this for a second. Not even one song? How about Another Version Of The Truth or 2 Ghosts I?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I don't believe this for a second. Not even one song? How about Another Version Of The Truth or 2 Ghosts I?
    I meant there are no entire albums where I've liked them as a whole. Every Day Is Exactly The Same was catchy in a nice way, there were a couple things on the Year Zero remix disc that I'll listen to now and then. But overall, nothing's resonated with me at all, which is a shame after growing up on NIN. On the other hand, I definitely expanded my musical tastes in a huge way trying to fill the void.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is an observation on controversial NIN opinions that thankfully weren't my own because that means I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the following albums as much as I've did. Aside from the controversial opinion regarding Broken not being that important, it probably doesn't get as controversial as stating that The Downward Spiral and The Fragile aren't among NIN's best works.

It really is hard for me to even imagine it that way. This isn't also to undermine, downplay, or write off NIN's 2000s output... but the controversy of those opinions have certainly shook me up. (As they should've been controversial anyway, so it really was no wonder that I was in for a surprise.) I think I saw that on NIN.com's Controversial Nine Inch Nails Opinions thread. Whoever posted that there would've also found this thread to be perfect for him repeat the said post as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-26-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This is an observation on controversial NIN opinions that thankfully weren't my own because that means I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the following albums as much as I've did. Aside from the controversial opinion regarding Broken not being that important, it probably doesn't get as controversial as stating that The Downward Spiral and The Fragile aren't among NIN's best works.

It really is hard for me to even imagine it that way. This isn't also to undermine, downplay, or write off NIN's 2000s output... but the controversy of those opinions have certainly shook me up. (As they should've been controversial anyway, so it really was no wonder that I was in for a surprise.) I think I saw that on NIN.com's Controversial Nine Inch Nails Opinions thread. Whoever posted that there would've also found this thread to be perfect for him repeat the said post as well.
    I'm kind of confused by this post. It's kind of all over the place. Are you saying that your controversial opinion is that the output released by nine inch nails *after* Broken is sub par? Maybe I'm just confused by the way you worded your post?
    Nevertheless, (if that is, indeed, what you are saying) then I completely agree that most would disagree. However, I am intrigued to hear why your taste doesn't lean towards releases past Broken (or Fixed, for that matter).
    I'm interested to hear the perspective of someone who loves late 80s / early 90s NIN who feel that the "band" lost its way once they released their first full-length major release.
    I could be wrong, of course! I just don't understand your post, I guess.

Time for my controversial opinion I guess!

People seem to be criticizing Reznor for playing the Grammy's. Well, here's my (drunk, half-assed opinion) on the whole thing.
    When I was "uber-Reznor" and I kind of idolized the guy, I admired the fact that he was sincere and transparent about the situation he had with record labels. Yes, people change, and the business has (without a doubt) changed. Of course things change.

To me though. This was different.

When I was a (kid) who still had posters on his walls of his favorite musicians, railed against the status quo, and anticipated supergroups like APC and Tapeworm (lol), I still looked up to Reznor who was trying to change the game.
    He had his own label. He was trying to grant artistic freedom to the artists he signed. He was taking a risk. He was trying to change things.
    Mr. Trent Reznor saw how things were and (especially being a victim of such injustices) was using his influence to change the game. I admired that. Even if you weren't a "goth kid who loved Nails and Manson" you still had to admire the tenacity of someone who had the power and integrity to bend it a certain way. I loved that.
    Admittedly, I'm not the smartest person - and I know that I'm not even a grain of sand compared to Reznor's talent, devotion, and intelligence.

Buut....

I just kind of feel like now he kind of phones it in. Yeah, I'm going to get a million negative replies to this. I know.
    But c'mon.
    He wants to be a billionaire corporation "game changing" executive.
    Okay, I get it. "He want's the best for his future and his kidzz" etc.
    Seriously, though. It bothers me that he is using his main personal artistic outlet (NIN) as a brand to sell a product.
    The entire song "Head Like A Hole" (minus the religiousness) essentially rails against this philosophy.

Don't get me wrong. If I were in the same position, and had the same opportunities - you bet your ass I would be making the same decisions.
    But it kind of deflates the big balloon of anti-authoritarianism and makes it seem like it was only hot air.

I am a HUGE Nine Inch Nails fan. I *love* Reznor, and have been a devoted fan and follower of ETS.org. But the "Wave Goodbye" tour, the "Beats" crap, and the Grammy performance are starting to make me feel a little embarrassed.

Why am I embarrassed? Yeah I know! Usually I wouldn't be embarrassed about trivial shit. Neither would you. But I've been gunning for this guy and his 'revolutionary' methods for a long time.
    I've sat here and defended this guy because of the grounds he stood on. This guy was the ultimate anti-authoritarian; and in more than one way.

Now I get to sit here and dodge attacks from people who get to say "I toldja sew".

I don't care if you think "he changed his mind" and blah blah, etc. Seriously.
    He's gone full circle, and a lot of us want an explanation.
    We want "the old Reznor" back.

Shut the fuck up about us wanting him back on drugs. You just shut the fuck up right now, because you know that's not what we want. So just shut the fuck up.
    We want the man who made the movement that forced the major label's to adapt. We want That dude back. Not the guy who was jealous about Josh Homme having Elton John on the Queens record, so he haphazardly hired Lindsey Buckingham so he could keep up with the rising tide of more relevant rock bands.
    Come on Trent. If you want to do this "beatz" thing. Do it right. Let's see something that changes the industry. Not some BS so you can go have champagne with Jay-Z on a Yacht somewhere.
    I love you dude. You are like, my idol. I want the the biography to end without you sucking paul mccartneys nuts or something weird.

Goodnight ETS. Hopefully one day you can come live with me in (australia) Canada.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyshallow View Post
    lots of stuff
    While I didn't read every word of your post, I think I understand where you're coming from -- while wholly disagreeing. I have to say, with all the "controversial" NIN decisions/opinions of that last couple of days, we should remind ourselves what truly EMBARRASSING artists are really like. Did you guys ever see Billy Corgan rap Bullet With Butterfly Wings in a TV commercial to promote wrestling? Have you seen what Marilyn Manson has looked like for last 10 years? Did you hear The King Of Limbs?

Man, we have it easy. Thanks for staying cool, Trent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Did you guys ever see Billy Corgan rap Bullet With Butterfly Wings in a TV commercial to promote wrestling? Have you seen what Marilyn Manson has looked like for last 10 years? Did you hear The King Of Limbs?
    Those first two were decent arguments, but calling out Radiohead for TKoL is extremely hypocritical and 100% opinion. I was a lot more embarrassed of being a NIN fan when I heard With Teeth than I was of being a Radiohead fan when I heard TKoL.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Apples Oranges Tomato Coconuts, thanks Trent for being Banana.
    Okay, that's a bit snarky, but seriously...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Okay, that's a bit snarky, but seriously...
    Is comparing Trent to the people he came up with really that strange? The only reason the comparison might be off-putting is that (yes, with the exception of Radiohead) most '90s alternative acts either have no career or a career based solely on nostalgia -- which, again, good on Trent.

Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    Those first two were decent arguments, but calling out Radiohead for TKoL is extremely hypocritical and 100% opinion. I was a lot more embarrassed of being a NIN fan when I heard With Teeth than I was of being a Radiohead fan when I heard TKoL.
    It was a joke, though also most definitely my opinion. TKoL is a hollow turd. Even With Teeth has ATLITW, Sunspots and BYIT.

(Do we dare start controversial Radiohead opinions somewhere? Amnesiac is many million times better than Kid A!)
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 01-27-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is comparing Trent to the people he came up with really that strange? The only reason the comparison might be off-putting is that (yes, with the exception of Radiohead) most '90s alternative acts either have no career or a career based solely on nostalgia -- which, again, good on Trent.

It was a joke, though also most definitely my opinion. TKoL is a hollow turd. Even With Teeth has ATLITW, Sunspots and BYIT.

(Do we dare start controversial Radiohead opinions somewhere? Amnesiac is many million times better than Kid A!)
    Haha, we should. The Bends is my favorite Radiohead album, so I'd have fun in that thread.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    TKOL is miles above HM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm kind of confused by this post. It's kind of all over the place. Are you saying that your controversial opinion is that the output released by nine inch nails *after* Broken is sub par? Maybe I'm just confused by the way you worded your post?
    Nevertheless, (if that is, indeed, what you are saying) then I completely agree that most would disagree. However, I am intrigued to hear why your taste doesn't lean towards releases past Broken (or Fixed, for that matter).
    I just have to respond to this in hopes to not have those opinions confused with mine. I love Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile. I am addicted to those albums as they have also helped me a lot emotionally, in spite of already being immensely and musically entertaining. I also love With Teeth and Year Zero, and didn't think The Slip was bad at all and also have a lot of respect for Ghosts I-IV even if I don't listen to it that much. Besides, as somebody that also loves And All That Could Have Been (Still), it was also inevitable that Ghosts I-IV would really grow on me a lot, even though I tend to skip around on it. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile as clearly among his best works. To deny that is almost akin to denying an objective fact.

I was sharing a controversial opinion that I saw. The person that said that really tried to suggest that Nine Inch Nails wasn't at his best during 1989-1999. That's what shook me up about it so much, and it was in NIN.com. The only opinion that was second controversial to me, was this one, and it's on ETS.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...116#post123116

On the other hand, I've seen people go as far as to say that The Downward Spiral sucked only to edit/delete their comments.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-27-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    More NIN/Lindsey Buckingham collaboration!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    yay, facepalms for controversial opinions. way to go, folks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sucking paul mccartneys nuts
    (the post was long, so i had to trim the quote. ) i think this post is less so "controversial opinion" and more so "controversial speculation." you're objecting to things that trent might be thinking and his possible motivations.

i'd be embarrassed if i idolized trent, too. but i'd be embarrassed for my own idolization, not for how trent does or does not stand up to it.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Radiohead hasn't made an album worth listening to since Hail to the Thief, and if they combined Kid A, Amnesiac & the B-sides so long as they jettisoned off the flotsam, there'd be an unstoppable album in there.

But there's a whole "Shit on music" thread somewhere for stuff like that, it's not on-topic in this thread.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Radiohead hasn't made an album worth listening to since Hail to the Thief
    That's just untrue, and King of Limbs was underrated by fans in general. It was fucking interesting

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    TKOL is miles above HM.
    This just made me laugh. Yeah... The Downward Spiral? Whatever... OK Computer is where it's at, bitches! The Fragile? You've got to be kidding be. Ain't nobody got time for that! Break out the Kid A and Amnesiac yo!

It's all good though, as I can also understand why one could/would also even go as far as to favor Radiohead over Nine Inch Nails altogether, even though I listen to NIN a lot more. (On top of this being the Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions thread and all.)

@Kid Charlemagne - I also thought that you'd like to see this.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-28-2014 at 01:36 AM.