Page 107 of 160 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Don’t know what to tell you. Come to terms with it. That’s all you can do.

You’re the one person out there I am aware of that really digs “Running.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For me, the definitive version of TDTWWA is a studio version of the live version. Maybe with the piano from Quiet accompanying the NaNa vocals, as long I'm telling Reznor how to arrange shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Running is a hill upon which I'm prepared to meet a grisly end.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Don’t know what to tell you. Come to terms with it. That’s all you can do.

You’re the one person out there I am aware of that really digs “Running.”
    WHo doesn't like Running?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I've seen some people bash "Less Than" as a substandard NIN song which I dont really understand. That song kills live and probably works the best in a live setting more than any other song/single he has released post WT....Vintage fucking NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This may exceed controversial and border on blasphemous but I found out today that game 7 of the Stanley cup finals is June 13th. That could be a home game for Vegas. I know a guy with season tickets. I’m strongly considering skipping the June 13th show at the joint to go see the hockey game.

I’m Canadian so cut me some slack. Seeing a game 7 of the cup finals is part of my birthright.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    This may exceed controversial and border on blasphemous but I found out today that game 7 of the Stanley cup finals is June 13th. That could be a home game for Vegas. I know a guy with season tickets. I’m strongly considering skipping the June 13th show at the joint to go see the hockey game.

I’m Canadian so cut me some slack. Seeing a game 7 of the cup finals is part of my birthright.
    Theres always Friday and Saturday for NIN. Would be cool to see the first show of this “tour”, but if a game 7 would happen then that probably takes presidence over the concert.

Chances are there won’t be a game 7. :P On the other hand this might explain the recent dip of pricing on StubHub for that show (along with more time passing, and announcement of different city dates).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’m guessing @Jon was more referring to the buying of merchandise?...

And I agree to an extent. Some recent posts were “while I was standing in line for 6 hours I picked up a $50 poster, t shirt for $80, hoodie for $150, etc.”. I was never a huge collector, but did my fair share. I’d buy it and it would end up just sitting in a drawer or closet forever. Just not into that aspect of NIN (or any band really) at this stage of life I guess. It shouldn’t make us “bad” fans though.
    Ha, I stayed away after I posted because I thought I was going to get slayed by fans calling me ungrateful, etc. Good to know people have level heads.

It's not just the merchandise, it's the entire experience I can't afford this time (minus a vinyl and CD). The "bad fan" is my over reaction as a collector. I pouted like a baby and got over it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ok, I got a lot on my chest... here goes:
    - I can't listen to Pretty Hate Machine excepts for HLAH, Terrible Lie and Sin.
    - I don't listen to Broken, Ghosts or Hesitation Marks anymore
    - With Teeth used to be my favorite album
    - Can we please here something else live from The Fragile other than The Wretched or Big Come Down?
    - I didn't enjoy the backing vocals from Tension tour (great singers, I just don't like the style in a NIN song)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    - Can we please here something else live from The Fragile other than The Wretched or Big Come Down?
    COMPLETELY hear you on that one. Is The Wretched really that big of a casual fan song? I'm much more inclined to hear tracks like Please, No, You Don't and hell ... bring back The Great Below!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I've seen some people bash "Less Than" as a substandard NIN song which I dont really understand. That song kills live and probably works the best in a live setting more than any other song/single he has released post WT....Vintage fucking NIN.
    As a single, it ranks near the top for me. And oh yes, it rules live!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Ok, I got a lot on my chest... here goes:
    - I can't listen to Pretty Hate Machine excepts for HLAH, Terrible Lie and Sin.
    - I don't listen to Broken, Ghosts or Hesitation Marks anymore
    - With Teeth used to be my favorite album
    - I didn't enjoy the backing vocals from Tension tour (great singers, I just don't like the style in a NIN song)
    Couple questions: why don’t you listen to those albums anymore?
    Why do you say WT used to be your favorite?

Couple comments: I’m kind of with you on some of the Tension back up singers. I thought they were great on In Two and Into The Void, but I felt like they were just thrown in the rest of the time.
    i CAN listen to PHM but seldom do. He sounds too tinny.

Also, regarding more Fragile tracks; I’m holding out hope that next year for the 20th anniversary we’ll get a small handful of Fragile shows where we get the whole thing front to back. But, you know, I want things...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    As a single, it ranks near the top for me. And oh yes, it rules live!
    I’d love to have “Less Than” replace “The Hand That Feeds” forever.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Also, regarding more Fragile tracks; I’m holding out hope that next year for the 20th anniversary we’ll get a small handful of Fragile shows where we get the whole thing front to back. But, you know, I want things...
    If there is an "entire Fragile show" (or hell, even just the left disc), I will die if I miss it, having had a ticket to the ONLY cancelled (and never made up!) show on the entire fucking NA Fragility tour, and not seeing a NIN show at all until 17 years later.

Would be so cool if we still get a comprehensive Fragile anniversary release including high quality versions of the NIN.com remixes ... but I'm not sure why he would release a "definitive edition" only to reissue it again a couple years later. But there's got to be more material left even beyond the TFD1 tracks that had vocals unless Bob Ezrin massively inflated those numbers of how many hours of music there were. This is not really a controversial opinion though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    If there is an "entire Fragile show" (or hell, even just the left disc), I will die if I miss it, having had a ticket to the ONLY cancelled (and never made up!) show on the entire fucking NA Fragility tour, and not seeing a NIN show at all until 17 years later.

Would be so cool if we still get a comprehensive Fragile anniversary release including high quality versions of the NIN.com remixes ... but I'm not sure why he would release a "definitive edition" only to reissue it again a couple years later. But there's got to be more material left even beyond the TFD1 tracks that had vocals unless Bob Ezrin massively inflated those numbers of how many hours of music there were. This is not really a controversial opinion though.
    It might be controversial...I’m sure some NIN fans are done with The Fragile...I can’t think of any, but still.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    It might be controversial...I’m sure some NIN fans are done with The Fragile...I can’t think of any, but still.
    Not totally on topic because this is about sorta former NIN fans, but there was a post under the Consequence of Sound FB post about Trent's post here about a guy who said he gave up on NIN after Trent "phoned it in" on The Fragile. Several posts of people encouraging him to give it another shot, followed by him saying that he basically was getting into it nearly 20 years after the fact and thought JLYI was awesome. I wonder how many people just didn't give that album a chance.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    . I wonder how many people just didn't give that album a chance.
    i wonder how many people don't give NIN a chance after Post-Fragile too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I did stop being an uber-fan with the arrival of With Teeth. I just wasn't as into more conventional rock music at the time; I was listening to Stereolab, Joni Mitchell, Aphex Twin, various indie stuff at the time because that's what my college friends were listening to. I loved Still and I thought he would continue to explore entirely new sounds. I was not too into the rage aspect of NIN anymore already before WT, so ATLITW was a super promising opening. And I was let down by the songs on it; there are five songs I thought were great and a bunch I can appreciate now but that I don't totally "love" either. (It IS a great album about addiction though.) But I never totally stopped listening or paying attention, either, like I'm assuming plenty of people did with The Fragile going by sales (and like I personally did with, say, Billy Corgan in 2003 and The Smashing Pumpkins half-reunion in 2007).

And now improbably, I've had some of my favorite NIN music come out since the reboot in 2013, especially with these EPs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Broken, I never enjoy the production. I like Hapiness in slavery, I've always love Wish live, never cared for Gave Up.

Ghosts and all the soundtracks are not something I listen to a lot anyway.

Hesitation Marks, it came as a surprise that after 5 years, I never had the desire to listen to it many times. I prefer Copy of A live, Came Back Haunted is still my favorite song. The rest is good. But what makes a great NIN album stands out from the other band to me is the production and the sound, and the new EPs are just fantastic. HM is just another *almost* bland alt-rock album and there are so many other albums in that genre I prefer. No bad song though. Well... maybe... one...

With Teeth was for a long time my favorite NIN album. Although, in recent years, in the long run, I might wonder if it's not The Fragile.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like Kinda I Want To.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    I like Kinda I Want To.
    I've never understood what specifically about that song grates at people so much compared to other PHM songs. It fits just fine and I think has aged better than the studio cut of Sanctified has. Lyrically it's no clunkier than something like That's What I Get or The Only Time, it has a vintage, late 80s then-edgy-now-endearing vibe that I like a lot. I've yet to see someone explain their dislike for it that set it apart from anything else on that record.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think these days I have a slight preference for the Purest Feeling version - the song itself seems to better suit the poppier tone, and the "Why does it have to be this way?" section is great. That said, the squiggly keyboard intro and the guitar breakdown on the album version are some of my favourite sounds on PHM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I've never understood what specifically about that song grates at people so much compared to other PHM songs. It fits just fine and I think has aged better than the studio cut of Sanctified has. Lyrically it's no clunkier than something like That's What I Get or The Only Time, it has a vintage, late 80s then-edgy-now-endearing vibe that I like a lot. I've yet to see someone explain their dislike for it that set it apart from anything else on that record.
    The only thing I've ever disliked about the song is how it literally just recycles Down In It for the bridge. But even then, the recycle is well-done and fits, musically.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    The only thing I've ever disliked about the song is how it literally just recycles Down In It for the bridge. But even then, the recycle is well-done and fits, musically.
    It never felt like a "recycle" to me but instead more of a reference or "hearkening back" to it in a way similar to the Downward Spiral motif. That's definitely one of my favorite songs from PHM too.

My theory is that Trent only dislikes it because he's embarrassed at having sampled two Christmas hip-hop songs (albeit ingeniously).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    COMPLETELY hear you on that one. Is The Wretched really that big of a casual fan song? I'm much more inclined to hear tracks like Please, No, You Don't and hell ... bring back The Great Below!
    I love The Wretched and BCD massively, but would trade both for "Where is Everybody"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I love The Wretched and BCD massively, but would trade both for "Where is Everybody"
    I wonder how WIE would work live with that beat; I wonder if the tempo and the hip-hop nature of the rhythm would make it drag a bit? I'm just trying to figure out why it's never been played. (Underneath It All could also be an insane closer for a show before or after the usual last couple songs, and Please has not been played nearly enough.)

The (basically faithful, except for the percussion in the intro) version of Somewhat Damaged they opened with at Webster Hall last year was incredible. That's a favorite of mine and was a song I was so, so happy to get to see live. I couldn't believe I got to see it as my first ever live NIN song. There's a couple clips on YouTube but sadly looks like no one got a full vid due to the intense moshing. Looks like it's been played a little less than half the times as Wretched.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am too poor to be a "proper" Nine Inch Nails fan. Lately, it just feels like a circle jerk on how much money you've spent or could spend.

At least the music has been amazing.
    I feel you. All I ever really buy anymore is the CDs. I haven't bought any actual merch since... 2005, maybe? I also haven't bought tix since NIN hasn't played in my area for 10 years now. I'm out of the collecting phase of my fandom and I have too little disposable income for that anyway, LOL.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    For me it's post-Year Zero as I love With Teeth and was left disappointed with Year Zero. That was my beginning of the end. I honestly wasn't happy with another NIN release until Not The Actual Events. NTAE brought back the Trent production I missed. That's when I was like "Damn, Trent's still got it." Then Add Violence brought back that Year Zero-Hesitation Marks era sound that just isn't my thing. I am hoping Bad Witch is more in line with NTAE than AV.

I was a bit on the fence with The Fragile when it initially came out, especially after hearing tracks like The Perfect Drug and Starfuckers, Inc. first. I love those tracks. The Fragile was quite the opposite it. I didn't hate it or anything. Just wasn't what I expected hearing some of the collabs and remixes Trent did leading up to it. A part of me was hoping for Trent's own warped take on mid to late 90s electronica like The Perfect Drug was. But I grew to love The Fragile. Took me a year or two to fully grasp it. As for With Teeth, the love was instant. I remember first hearing All The Love In The World start playing and a smile just broke out across my face. I couldn't contain my glee.

Perhaps that's the reason why I love With Teeth so much. It feels like the successor from 97/98/pre-Fragile album (The Perfect Drug, Josh Wink collab, David Bowie collab, Starfuckers, Inc.) that we never got it. Even Photek shows up to lend a hand production-wise on With Teeth who was a part of the I'm Afraid Of Americans EP. Where The Fragile was a curveball, With Teeth felt like a normal progression. Maybe for some, that may have felt lazy, but to me it was the album I was waiting for. And I don't mean that as a knock against The Fragile. But With Teeth has a lot of the type of Trent I know and love. Some may say it felt safe. I think it still had edge, a sense of danger, and showcases some of Trent's strongest work. Plus it's the beginning of Atticus Ross joining the band.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-24-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think less of people who like With Teeth.

that is all...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think less of people who go around thinking less of people because they think they're above people due to musical taste.

It's music. It's art. To each their own. I'm sure there's some album you love that I think is a piece of shit, but it's not going to make me think any less of you.