Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
I've been feeling this way a long time because of Dany's entire storyline, and now with the wall, it's pretty much confirmed my take on this....

The dragons are lazy and a shame.

"What the fuck is he talking about??" you're asking yourself.

Here's the thing: the whole series is amazingly complex. GRRM has created this massive world with tons of characters, puzzles and riddles to solve, backstabbing, scheming, plotting, etc. There are so many moving pieces and so much going on; it's what makes the series special. So to just go "Oh, Dany's in charge cuz her dragons can burn shit" and "haha now the dead are here cuz their dragon broke the wall", it just feels so lazy and anticlimactic to me. Thousands and thousands of pages full of intricate detail and the overall takeaway is "because dragons". It just feels too simple; like everything else that was linked together is now just background to one piece of brute force. I mean...not that I'm comparing the depth of these two series, but imagine if freakin' Harry Potter just stumbled upon the Elder Wand one day and knocked off Voldemort in one shot.

I'll probably get facepalmed for this post, but so be it. From a visual perspective, the whole "dragon SMASH" thing is pretty cool. Major, major credit to all involved in the VFX departments on this show; they've done an amazing job with it. But from a story perspective...it feels thin.
I've been reading a lot of these types of criticisms, especially in regard to the ways in which LF and Varys have been treated lately as characters. But I have to ask - what did you guys expect? I feel like it's been obvious for many years that this entire story was about a Kingdom of people politicking and scheming while unwinnable war against an unambiguous evil was brewing quietly in the background. This is the end game. There is so little room left for politics. We've transitioned into fantasy. This was always going to happen, the NK was always going to get the dragon, the ink has dried.

So it doesn't just feel that way - everything else linked together was nothing more than background to one giant brute force.

It sounds like you want a solely Middle Ages politics story and there is no shortage of those. But if you want to enjoy Game of Thrones I feel like you have to enjoy the fact that this is what everything has come down to.