Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: What's this concert footage? (UPDATE: It's Further Down the Spiral, and IT'S HERE!)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    Ill say I can totally see how (at least at some points) they could thing its a bit too concert film-ey, I really do think that the editing does a major disservice to the performances of things like Eraser and Hurt.
    Yeah, the editing is really the big issue here. It's the same thing that sinks the Bowie/NIN footage that was leaked several years ago. That edgy MTV style might work for a music video, but for a full concert film, it becomes a bit grating after a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crazy shit happens

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Holy shit, so that means icy mosh pit happened more than once?!
    They should've just called this period the "crazy shit happens" tour. I didn't see any of the shows in person, but I've listened to and seen almost every liberated bootleg from the '94-95 period that has hit the internet in the last 25 years. A great many, if not most of them, have either had some kind of notable technical screwup, or an issue with the audience or venue.

The craziest I can recall is one from Columbus, OH (had to Google it just now) - where Trent stops the show after Sin or March Of The Pigs, shouting "FUCK THE CHAIRS!" and then goes off on a rant about how the venue's management insisted on putting chairs on the floor when it was supposed to be general admission. He then instructs people to pick their chairs up off the floor and move them to the side, so that the arena manager can "sit his fat ass down on them". It's a hilarious diversion, one of those classic angry Trent moments where he just flies off the rails and then goes straight back into show mode. Incidentally, this is the show where Trent's dog fell from the balcony during the show and they cancelled the encore.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Holy shit, so that means icy mosh pit happened more than once?!
    Yeah I don’t know about the other but at mine it was just one floor board missing. It was a small area but very noticeable if you stood on it. If you stood on it though, you were doing good since it was dead center pretty close to the stage lol (not “against the railing” close, but close enough that I was pretty excited about it)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Side note, I've ALWAYS wondered what sound effect was being triggered whenever he does the 1 finger playing the keyboard during the "happiness in slavery" right before the high pitch screams. I've seen him do that in so many videos but have never been able to figure out just what the hell he's triggering there. I never hear a sample or keyboard note being played.
    What's interesting to me is that I think Trent use to play the crazy synth parts during the ending jam. You can see him play it on Closure. You can't really tell because of the camera cuts and shit, there's destroying stuff when you hear the audio but then he's actually playing something on the keyboard that fell over.

Last edited by nooneimportant; 04-27-2022 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    What's interesting to me is that I think Trent use to play the crazy synth parts during the ending jam. You can see him play it on Closure. You can't really tell because of the camera cuts and shit, there's destroying stuff when you hear the audio but then he's actually playing something on the keyboard that fell over.

my guess was that he was...actually, i don't fucking know, BUT, the one finger bit triggering something that needs to be set to a certain time, in such a chaotic setting...i kinda thought it was just a, idk, like a sort of flex?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    You can see him not singing though
    RIght but it's still possible.

Perhaps they wanted to use bits of the theorized " mental breakdown," along with full audio. Perhaps the editing wasn't completely finished.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This footage is fantastic. Our Emo King of Pain at his absolute peak.
    It feels so odd to see/hear Hurt not close out a show.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    This footage is fantastic. Our Emo King of Pain at his absolute peak.
    What it IS is fucking GREAT. The whole 3 H closer bit drives me nuts. I loved it SOOOOOOOOOO much when they closed with In This Twilight at LiTS.

I wish they played all of that piano track that came on after the show. (Edit: in the footage/from FDTS tour)

It was just some piece of piano music that made me wanna die. "Show's over, now go contemplate suicide, kids!" :P

Does anyone know what that music was?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what that music was?

This specific version of Schubert piece from The Hunger.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I've always thought the perfect place for Hurt would be right before the encore so there's a break afterward to allow that powerful ending to linger with people, but then they could still play a banger like Head Like a Hole to close out the show on a high-energy note. But I suppose that's what other bands would do and this is NIN we're talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He definitely has a sample of the Slaveryyyy scream on the keyboard. You can hear it triggered as hits the keyboard a couple of different times at the beginning of the breakdown (2:07). I always thought he used it to supplement the live screams at the end.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by modelsynth View Post

He definitely has a sample of the Slaveryyyy scream on the keyboard. You can hear it triggered as hits the keyboard a couple of different times at the beginning of the breakdown (2:07). I always thought he used it to supplement the live screams at the end.
    I always find that disappointing when he grabs the mic stand and you’re ready for the chaos to be unleashed and then he just takes a few swings and the song ends

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Someone upscaled it and reuploaded it to YouTube. I'd say it looks pretty good if it wasn't because it was cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    This isn't even the first time it's been reuploaded, and I wonder how the new uploads don't trip over the same copyright issues as the original did

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I'd say it looks pretty good if it wasn't because it was cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio.
    Not cropped, they resized the aspect ratio, so now it's all squished and unwatchable.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Not cropped, they resized the aspect ratio, so now it's all squished and unwatchable.
    It might be both. It is definitely cropped, comparing some shots with the original upload there is part of the screen that is cut off, but at the same time the image seems somewhat squished.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    It might be both. It is definitely cropped, comparing some shots with the original upload there is part of the screen that is cut off, but at the same time the image seems somewhat squished.
    yay, worst of both worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was just some piece of piano music that made me wanna die. "Show's over, now go contemplate suicide, kids!" :P
    OMG! I'm dying!!! I know I shouldn't be laughing at a suicide joke, but I almost covered my monitor with soda.

But seriously, "Something I Can Never Have" is a killer closer and that Schubert piece is the perfect exit music after that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So.. I don't know if anyone remembers a quote from Trent a long time ago saying that he used to find good hiding spots to go puke.
    I feel like I'm misremembering, but that's the first thing i thought of when watching the first half of HIS.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Would love a link to the video download. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    [EDIT]

I've been pointed in the right direction. Thank you.
    Last edited by NIN64; 04-29-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    So.. I don't know if anyone remembers a quote from Trent a long time ago saying that he used to find good hiding spots to go puke.
    I feel like I'm misremembering, but that's the first thing i thought of when watching the first half of HIS.
    I feel like that was in reference to the Fragility tour, when he was sick all the time from withdrawal.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    While doing some other things (transcribing banter, actually), I have found that The Only Time from original Closure has full audio and partial video from Sioux Falls, 7-Feb 1995. I noticed that TR's whisper at the beginning ("A song... about... fucking...") was all too familiar, and TR didn't use that intro that often on FDTS tour, unlike earlier tours.
    https://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19950207.html

During first keyboard solo after the chorus (1:24) you can see something's being thrown on stage and TR asks "Thanks man... What'd you throw?" This banter and other things match with audio from this show exactly. (I can't understand what he says right after, when he throws some cloth back, help me)
    The footage from Closure has other shows too, as TR wears few different shirts and Robin has different hair at different parts of the song. I also think I may have seen some shots of James Woolley on the keys, but it's too blurry to say for sure.

None of the audio or footage here match with the new leaked footage.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    (I can't understand what he says right after, when he throws some cloth back, help me) .
    "Can I have a towel in exchange? Thanks man."

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    During first keyboard solo after the chorus (1:24) you can see something's being thrown on stage and TR asks "Thanks man... What'd you throw?" This banter and other things match with audio from this show exactly. (I can't understand what he says right after, when he throws some cloth back, help me)
    I've seen this so many times, I can (sadly?) quote it from memory. First he says, "What'd you throw up here? What'd you throw?" He looks around for whatever was thrown and then says, "Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks, man."

I also think I may have seen some shots of James Woolley on the keys, but it's too blurry to say for sure.
    James is indeed in the film at various points. The footage was shot all through '94 and '95.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I flicked though some performances from 1995 near the end of that leg possibly around the time this was filmed (shout out to ninlive putting them on YouTube) - it does seem like he was having a bit of trouble with HiS near the end of the tour, fair enough it’s one hell of a song to sing/destroy your vocal chords with. He didn’t sound bad, but he would duck out on some lines or his delivery was a bit more strained compared to 1994.

Maybe this performance of HiS was the result of a combination of factors - exhaustion and having a bit of a “moment” on stage

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post

A post shared by on

Hey just curious as to how this is going? Once I saw you were transferring it I decided to hold off on watching the circulating version. Let us know when you have a chance!
    Last edited by LOVEANDZOMBIES; 06-07-2022 at 02:41 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    **So just noticed the thread on Instagram. Looks like this will not be shared. At least not anytime soon. Apparently it will be preserved but only select few will see it due to copyright issues. Bummed to say the least. Dig through the thread to see for yourself. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcoY_BNrEC_/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    **So just noticed the thread on Instagram. Looks like this will not be shared. At least not anytime soon. Apparently it will be preserved but only select few will see it due to copyright issues. Bummed to say the least. Dig through the thread to see for yourself. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcoY_BNrEC_/
    Thanks for the update, I was waiting for the remastered ninlive.com version before I watch it a second time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    Thanks for the update, I was waiting for the remastered ninlive.com version before I watch it a second time.
    Pretty sure he said he would be archiving it but couldn't release it. I may be wrong on that... hopefully.

*Edit. Derp. I could have just actually.. you know... read what you guys were talking about. Sorry just woke up.