Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    For what it's worth, they're apparently doing the same kinda thing with The Joker. The Leto version is still planned, but later this year they're apparently starting a lower budget origin Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix starring, and Scorcese producing. Article here.
    It's official. Joaquin Phoenix is officially The Joker.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So Martin Scorsese has nothing to do with anymore? Or was he just a name drop to get people interested when he had no real involvement yet? He's not mention anywhere.

Personally, a Joker origin movie sounds stupid. This is like Ridley Scott's crap Alien prequels or Rob Zombie's Halloween. You're just going to ruin the mystique of an awesome villain. Sometimes knowing less is much more effective than knowing everything about a character.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ally-announced
    Last edited by neorev; 07-11-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    So Martin Scorsese has nothing to do with anymore? Or was he just a name drop to get people interested when he had no real involvement yet? He's not mention anywhere.
    For what it's worth, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, who was Scorsese's production assistant (and is now Production President of Scorsese's production company), is on as producer for the film. I believe I read somewhere that his schedule got too busy to continue working on this, so someone that high up in his camp taking his place is probably not a bad thing.

Personally, a Joker origin movie sounds stupid. This is like Ridley Scott's crap Alien prequels or Rob Zombie's Halloween. You're just going to ruin the mystique of an awesome villain. Sometimes knowing less is much more effective than knowing everything about a character.
    I think if the film follows his origin in "The Killing Joke" it could be pretty good—an unsuccessful comedian who ends up having a really bad day that results in losing his sanity. There's plenty that could be done with that, but I'm confident they have something great given Joaquin's excitement toward the script. Has he done anything recently that was bad? I can't think of anything...

Joker - Oct 4, 2019

That's uhh.......rather soon.
    Is it? The budget isn't very high, and that release is still well over a year from now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine
    Is it? The budget isn't very high, and that release is still well over a year from now.
    It is. Given that it is filming 'later this year', even with the lower budget this is clearly a shot at the dart board...hoping that it blows up and makes way more than they're anticipating it to. Even if they begun filming it say in August (highly doubtful), which would be...with the average 4 month shooting length.

Filming - August to December
    Editing - January to say...February or March?
    Promotion - Summer 2019
    Release - October 2019

That's cutting it down to the wire in the most blatant sense of the word. Hoping nothing goes wrong along the way at any turn. The budget is $55 million, a big chunk of which is obviously going to Phoenix. Like I said, they're basically using this as a guinea pig.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It is. Given that it is filming 'later this year', even with the lower budget this is clearly a shot at the dart board...hoping that it blows up and makes way more than they're anticipating it to. Even if they begun filming it say in August (highly doubtful), which would be...with the average 4 month shooting length.

Promotion - Summer 2019
    Release - October 2019

That's cutting it down to the wire in the most blatant sense of the word. Hoping nothing goes wrong along the way at any turn. The budget is $55 million, a big chunk of which is obviously going to Phoenix. Like I said, they're basically using this as a guinea pig.
    Also take into account this hasn't even been fully cast yet, scheduling conflicts and inevitable re-shots...i find it very VERY hard to believe it'll hit that date.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Promotion - Summer 2019
    Release - October 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Also take into account this hasn't even been fully cast yet, scheduling conflicts and inevitable re-shots...i find it very VERY hard to believe it'll hit that date.
    Good points.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Good points.
    I wasn't trying to come off as a dick, or as condescending, so apologies if it came off that way...it's coming from a general state of worry from whomever's making the DC movie decisions hahaha. I want nothing more than for Joker to be badass...but man, it's been a rough road lol.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I know, right? How about - and this is radical, I know - how about you start filming before you announce a release date. Just in case.

Also: a potential Halloween-ey Joker movie? I can (maybe) dig it.