Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say I'm getting burnt out. However I can somewhat understand the sentiment and I might use the word disillusioned. Everything post Avengers to this point is just starting to feel really lazy and watered down. This is coming from someone who hated Iron Man 3 though, so take this with a grain of salt if you actually enjoyed that as a follow up to Avengers.

Sure I am intrigued for Thor 2 with Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones) on board (didn't particularly love the first one), and I did like the first Cap so I have no reason to suspect the second one won't be half decent. And as with most, I'm also pretty interested to see how they pull off GotG. That said, it really wouldn't shock me if they were all junk unfortunately.

And I also don't expect any of them will have any real impact on Avengers 2 either, which kind of defeats the purpose of all these supposed well-laid plans. Marvel is taking the easy route; make a bunch of stand alones, then just tranfix everyone in one giant mega movie. Will it work again? Maybe. I'd rather they build on the universes they've created, and have it be a serial mini-series so to speak. They brand themselves as such, but are continually lacking the substance to support that image. And I get why; it would be waaaay too complicated for them to have all of their screenwriters and directors in sync on that level. Except it really wouldn't be. But whatever.

What *should* have happened is this. Iron Man 3 ends with Tony Stark blasting up into space to see what else is out there after shattering a bunch of worlds down here. Pym should have been introduced in that film as well, and IM3 should have been followed up by Ant-Man, and the trouble Pym gets into playing around with AI with Stark gone up in space (cue the GotG cameo) and Ultron is created. Thor and Cap have their standalone stories but during which times the "growing" of Ultron is referenced or cut to. In Avengers 2, Pym joins the team alongside a few other newbies (Wasp, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch), they defeat Ultron and just when they think the coast is clear Thanos arrives (to follow up on the end of GotG) and starts to fuck reign down on earth; cue Avengers 3 and the need to recruit Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc.

Instead we get a bunch of pointless stories that aren't even adapted properly from the comics instead. Now again, it's not to say they can't end up being good on an individual basis, it just totally has killed my buzz for what I thought they were trying to do. I am much more stoked for Days of Future Past than I am for ANY of the upcoming Marvel films. And that pains me considering where we where a year and a half ago. Who knows after Thor 2 things could change for me, maybe I'm still just really sore after that absolute fuckin disaster of IM 3. Fuck me I really wish I didn't hate that film so much. It's coming out shortly on blu, maybe another watch or two if I can sit through it will lessen my hatred. We'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Iron Man 3 was definitely a disappointing kick-off for phase two. I almost don't care anymore. Maybe all of that will change with one or two good movies. It's hard to say. This specific universe is a billion dollar industry, so it's no surprise that they're milking it as much as possible, but I think the best thing they could do creatively is give us two more Avengers films (along with Guardians Of The Galaxy and maybe an Iron Man 4) and then call it a day. Again, that will never happen, but out of pure creative integrity I think it would be the right thing to do. One can only dream lol.
    Last edited by Hitman2110; 08-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    While we're actually on the subject of the Marvel cinematic universe here for a change, I'd just like to add that I thought Iron Man 3 was a pretty cool bit of closure for its trilogy and likewise thoroughly enjoyable in and of itself, I just felt like it should have been more clearly intertwined with whatever Phase Two should clearly be building to by now. But in hindsight the mere fact that it's centered around Tony's cognitive dissonance following the events of The Avengers is ultimately enough in the long-run. I just wish the post-credits scene was less of a throwaway and more relevant to the big picture again. But I guess they're having trouble figuring out what to do with the Hulk now so the more Banner the better, whatever his context. Anyway, the point is fuck it. Iron Man 3 was awesome and so was Iron Man 2.:PHaha, one more thing! If you haven't yet than you should all listen to Whedon's commentary for The Avengers. Hilarious shit and it's worth the time wasted just to hear him geek out AND apologize for Hawkeye's underdevelopment and the "Queen Bee" deus ex machina at the end. Priceless! Also a mere buck or so at RedBoxes everywhere, lol.
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 08-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    While we're actually on the subject of the Marvel cinematic universe here for a change, I'd just like to add that I thought Iron Man 3 was a pretty cool bit of closure for its trilogy and likewise thoroughly enjoyable in and of itself, I just felt like it should have been more clearly intertwined with whatever Phase Two should clearly be building to by now. But in hindsight the mere fact that it's centered around Tony's cognitive dissonance following the events of The Avengers is ultimately enough in the long-run. I just wish the post-credits scene was less of a throwaway and more relevant to the big picture again. But I guess they're having trouble figuring out what to do with the Hulk now so the more Banner the better, whatever his context. Anyway, the point is fuck it. Iron Man 3 was awesome and so was Iron Man 2.:PHaha,
    I don't get why every movie has to have a direct tie-in to everything else, the tie-ins feel like the big crossover events where every superhero gets thrown into the same mixing pot, now some of those can be brilliant - but not all of them were.

IM3 was a movie i really enjoyed, their risky take on the Mandarin was brilliant even if it would also really torque some folks the wrong way. It had just enough post Avengers to make sense, and yet still be a standalone film. ie if IM3 is the only movie you've seen it still works. I didn't like the over the topness of the extremis stuff and all 3000 of the iron man suits being melted faster than butter vs a hot knife, (maybe it's just the inner geek in me, but i hate when films break physics) but the cast was great, the story worked, successful film.

IM2 otoh i just remember being bored during the final big battle scene.