Page 213 of 241 FirstFirst ... 113 163 203 211 212 213 214 215 223 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,390 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Outside of singles though I don't think NIN's done one since FDTS.
    Things Falling Apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought it would be cool to share this:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I kind of really miss the prevalence of jewel cases. I don't know what it is (apart from going green, I suppose), but the Pumpkins, DM, Manson, Fear Factory...almost every band I listen to these days does thin slipcases or digibooks. Outside of singles though I don't think NIN's done one since FDTS.
    I don't miss them. They're the most fragile media cases ever. Lp covers last better. DVD covers last better. Digipacks last and look better.

The last NIN release in a jewel was with teeth European tour edition in 2005

Edit: remove goddamn tapatalk bullshit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My Japanese version of HM arrived today! I always love looking at the stuff that comes with it - a little sleeve with album, band and song titles to slip over the cover; a booklet with lyrics in English and Japanese as well as four pages of Japanese text talking about the band (although, what it says I have no idea - my Japanese doesn't stretch that far). Oh, and the Everything remix, which I haven't heard yet .

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    message to my deluxe cd: would you kindly hurry up a little?! of course, 2 weeks isn't anything big but i've had stuff arriving from UK sooner than that. </vent>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks entered last week on #5 in german charts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The physical release is #9 on the Danish charts. Which is kind of a surprise; I wasn't expecting it to chart. On the download charts, it's #10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok I'm an idiot. I thought the slipcase that a poster said was 'hateful' was the standard edition jewel case which is nice. I thought he meant the lack of lyrics and sparser artwork. But now I know what he meant,he's right-the slipcase on the DELUXE edition IS hateful.

The standard edition of the album, while fairly sparse DESTROYS the standard edition of Depeche Mode's Delta Machine though.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've had experience for a few years now with ecolbooks like the Deluxe HM and I have a tip that might help with the tight sleeves that hold the discs. Maybe you guys already do this and I'll feel stupid for posting it, but a good way to help minimize the scuffing is to grab the very edge of the disc and sort of rotate it as you're sliding it in or out (turn it a little and grab a new spot on the disc, repeat until it's out). It rotates better coming out than going in, but it still helps. I believe this technique puts the majority of the friction on the edge of the disc rather than the main data area. It's kind of hard to describe without actually showing you in person, but give it a try and I think you'll see what I mean.
    Last edited by piggy; 09-17-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    got my copy of HM on wax in the mail today (i'm on the Canadian east coast — took long enough...). i have a couple of minor scuffings on the disc surface, one on each disc; everything else was in awesome condition without breakage or shipping damage. mint!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It supposedly arrived yesterday! Too bad that I'm not gonna get it from mail until friday.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Even after three weeks in two probably remains as one of the greatest things TR has done since the fragile!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wonder if we will see a 2nd single. I hate how radio stations stick to singles....

I'm still absorbing this album. As my previous posts indicate, HM isn't top on my NIN list... but I do really like this album... I wish there was more use of live perc. BUT as a follow up to Le' Slip it's a nice change up.

Seems to be alternating lately...

W_T - Majority is live perc
    Y_Z -Mainly synth perc
    The Slip - Mainly live perc
    Hesitation Marks - Mainly synth perc

'While I'm Still Here' shows up in my head randomly, it's a great track. I love the arp in 'Copy of A' and that crazy guitar slide/bending starting at 1:56 is fucking awesome. I also like the guitar in the background shifting up and down.

'I Would For You' is interesting. That rolling beat that starts off the song and that low chunky synth bass line... backed up by a shifting/stereo HH. I'd like to hear this live... I hope TR chooses to stick a bass guitar in Joshs hands for the chorus. The chorus is solid. Respect! Same with 'Find My Way'.

'All Time Low' is fun to jam along with on bass guit...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Whenever the album is finished, Copy Of A (from the live rehearsals) starts on my playlist, so it creates this loop and I'm already condictioned to hearing that song after the last one and it makes me wanna listen to the whole thing again. It's that good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Russia.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    The Slip - Mainly live perc
    Do you have a source? The Slip sounded very drum machine-heavy to me.

I know Josh is credited for "performance", but so is Alessandro, and he has since stated that he doesn't actually play on it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Do you have a source? The Slip sounded very drum machine-heavy to me.

I know Josh is credited for "performance", but so is Alessandro, and he has since stated that he doesn't actually play on it.
    a lot of the drums on the slip are "machines" but there's also plenty of live drumming. most of it has a bit of distortion and other processing on it, so it sounds a little less "organic."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    a lot of the drums on the slip are "machines" but there's also plenty of live drumming. most of it has a bit of distortion and other processing on it, so it sounds a little less "organic."
    the only songs that even sound like real drums are "1,000,000" and "Head Down." everything else is pretty obviously programmed (or the performances were played on an e-kit rather than microphones on a real kit). there aren't any effects that turn a real, live drum kit into the drum sound on "Letting You," "Discipline," "Echoplex," "The Four of Us are Dying" or "Demon Seed," unless you count drum replacement as an effect (more below).

i also think the drums in "1,000,000" sound programmed, but use samples that were recorded at TR's studio. if you listen to the drum track in the multitracks, every snare and kick hit are exactly alike, with no deviation on the velocity or area of the drum hit. there is no amount of compression in the universe that will make a real drum performance sound like that unless a) it was MIDI to begin with, performed by a real person on an e-kit, and the velocities were adjusted after the fact; or b) the snare and kick were replaced by trigger software with samples (very common on every rock album now).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    the only songs that even sound like real drums are "1,000,000" and "Head Down." everything else is pretty obviously programmed (or the performances were played on an e-kit rather than microphones on a real kit). there aren't any effects that turn a real, live drum kit into the drum sound on "Letting You," "Discipline," "Echoplex," "The Four of Us are Dying" or "Demon Seed," unless you count drum replacement as an effect (more below).

i also think the drums in "1,000,000" sound programmed, but use samples that were recorded at TR's studio. if you listen to the drum track in the multitracks, every snare and kick hit are exactly alike, with no deviation on the velocity or area of the drum hit. there is no amount of compression in the universe that will make a real drum performance sound like that unless a) it was MIDI to begin with, performed by a real person on an e-kit, and the velocities were adjusted after the fact; or b) the snare and kick were replaced by trigger software with samples (very common on every rock album now).
    Hmm... I always thought the drums on "Discipline" sounded the most like a real, mic'd kit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    Hmm... I always thought the drums on "Discipline" sounded the most like a real, mic'd kit.
    agreed, though it's pretty clearly programmed or sample replaced

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm still not hearing any live drumming on The Slip at all. Like @seasonsinthesky said, every single hit sounds alike. I know Josh Freese is supposed to be a robot, but still.

As for the more "organic" sound, Trent does mention on the "In Conversation With..."-track on HM Deluxe that everything on The Slip is miked as opposed to direct injected. This probably accounts for some of the live-like sound. And it's an interesting fact about the album - makes me appreciate it even more.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, maybe I should have said "for many of the tracks on The Slip, he used samples that resemble a live kit more than computer generated". Josh does get credits on the studio album too.

'The 4 of us are dying' & 'Echoplex' are obviously not live kits... but I think the other tracks that used perc have a live kit sound. The HHO/HHC/Crash/Snare/BD all sound live to me. The symbols/high hats have a more metallic sound while the skins are poppy, ringy and have that chain (snare) sound. Also I find that with The Slip the high hats are pretty evenly distributed between the left and right channel and maintain their sound.

As for HM...

With some tracks on Hesitation Marks the high hats channel, velocity and key seems to vary at times... which I am a fan of. The opening of 'I Would For You' is a good example. On some tracks multiple "HH's" are used at once. See 1:36 'Copy of A'... then at 1:56 it's one HH but long/short/long/short. The closed HH during the later part of 'Satellite' shits key... see 2:59. Then there's that Tssssss high hat during the chorus of 'Came Back Haunted' I love all that variety. I won't get into the skins.

You just don't get perc quite that dynamic with The Slip. Mind you, the change up at 3:13 of 'Head Down' still messes with my head and 'Demon Seed' is one of my all time favs... i think it starts off with both live & synth perc.

So yes I like the sound of live kits, but when TR goes digital my ears are in for variety and the unexpected. The amount of time & technique TR spends on perc is overlooked by many. (Not us here at ETS of course)
    Last edited by snaapz; 09-20-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Discipline used Addictive Drums http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Discipline used Addictive Drums http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1
    That's a sick program!

The video says "professionally sampled drums and symbols from top brands around the world".

So, live or not live?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Live samples, then sequenced. They're not a real performance, put it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album sucks. Bunch of bloops and pitter patter. Fail!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    after weeks of no free time -- finally got my dream of listening to this album on my rooftop while under a particular influence for the first time in awhile. jesus christ. i loved this album already, but fucking hell. WISH has so many layers happening its insane. The intro bass on All Time Low is fucking fantastic. This makes me wanna cry -- and run into my studio and try in vain to match this.

fucking beautiful work.

<shameless selfsie of me listening>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Album would have gotten to #1 if they had delayed the release a week!

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

(okay i'll stop talking about sales figures now)
    I only like two albums on this list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not to keep going further off-topic from HM, but I always assumed the drums in "1,000,000" were played live but the snare sounds like it has a trigger on it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    can i make this my avatar