Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The first 3 albums were flawless, every song. No. 4 is good but thats where the albums started to slip a little for me. It had about 5 really strong tracks. Nevertheless, each album had its great songs. "Atlanta" from No.4 is in my top 5. I still love "Days of the week", "All in the suit that you wear", "Between the lines"....blah blah blah

Top 5:
    1. Still Remains
    2. Lounge Fly
    3. Sin
    4. Pops love suicide
    5. Atlanta

Anyways, thanks for the soundtrack to my teens Scott. You will be missed.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    ..."Still Remains" (which is one of the most underrated STP songs).
    That song is probably in my top five favorite STP songs. Absolutely beautiful.

They had so many underrated songs. "Kitchenware & Candybars," "Seven Caged Tigers," "Atlanta," among others.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Atlanta" is one of the greatest (and most underrated) STP songs, this live version always give me the goosebumps...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It's just so incredibly sad. I can't put into words what I feel right now.

RIP Scott. You'll be sorely missed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    this seems like it was beyond inevitable. only part of this that's surprising to me was that he wasn't even 50 yet. at least he was able to put out some amazing music in his prime.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I thought Scott was doing better in recent years...not sure...he was always quite up and down...could never really tell.
    always liked Core the most, not really a fan of the later stuff. apparently Core sold 13 Million albums in the U.S alone..had no idea they were that big....i never really understood why they were maligned so much by hipsters in 90s .. tracks like Sin and Plush are beautiful psychadelic tunes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, when I was a kid growing up on grunge with 92.3 K-Rock, I was immediately drawn towards Stone Temple Pilots and Scott Weiland's voice in particular. To me, he was the ultimate "what-if" Kurt Cobain had lived longer scenario. They were contemporaries who struggled with substance abuse in the public eye, both lacking in that sort of vital way that keeps a person steady. Who knows, maybe it's the same fateful road that Trent got off of when he found sobriety?

In his prime, Scott had the most pure vocal talent of any lead rock frontman since Freddie Mercury. He could jump from hard rock, to blues, to grunge, to southern rock, to soft acoustic, to pop, to weird psychedelic stuff with ease. He's someone I was fortunate enough to see in person four times: twice with STP, once with Velvet Revolver, and once just a few days ago as a solo act in Montclair, NJ. His third final show ever!! Isn't that eerie? It wasn't one of those sad so-high-all-he-can-do-is-mumble performances, the man really rocked the roof off that place. Kinda gave me a lot of hope he was on the straight and narrow, aiming to reunite with VR or STP again. It's still so fresh in my mind, I'm having a hard time comprehending he's even really gone to be honest. I'm very grateful for seeing him perform in person, as I've always regretted never seeing Kurt play.

Scott struggled a lot, as we all do, but somehow through all that turmoil he left an extensive catalog of amazing work behind him that will live on.

Rest in peace, Scott.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    still quite confused why this one hurts me especially. it's pretty much the first time I see one of my most favorite musicians/singers pass while having witnessed alot of his output and been actively following. And there will be more to come I fear. It would have been a dream come true to see either VR or STP live and back in 2010 I was more than pysched to see STP come to Europe which unfortunately never happened... in addition to that it really bummed me out that the Wildabouts show in Munich has been cancelled as well. Another chance of seeing him missed. Scott, I guess this was not meant to heaven - thanks for the music and one hell of a ride, miss you already!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    This really fucking hurts as well. For someone that I'm sure many people here who grew up and listened to those bands in the 1990s. In 1994 alone, the albums I probably listened to the most from that year were The Downward Spiral, Purple, Superunknown, and MTV Unplugged in New York. The first 3 were albums that I listened to all summer on my cassette walkman. They were all different in what they offered. Soundgarden was more hard rock while STP were just straight-up rock n' roll. I never understood why they were perceived as Pearl Jam wannabes which I thought was totally false. They sounded nothing like Pearl Jam and I'm sure the guys in Pearl Jam would say the same thing.

It wasn't just the songs that were good as Purple is my favorite album of theirs and it still fucking holds up. Someone said that w/o Scott, STP was just another band and that person is right. Anyone remember the band Talk Show that the guys in STP did with another singer? I thought it was mediocre and couldn't hold a candle to what the band were doing with Scott. "Barbarella" is still one of my all-time favorite songs ever. Here are my 10 favorite songs from Scott:

1. Big Empty
    2. Barbarella
    3. Sex Type Thing
    4. Sour Girl
    5. Slither
    6. Fall to Pieces
    7. Vasoline
    8. Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart
    9. Plush (acoustic)
    10. Pretty Penny

Thank you Scott. You will be missed.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Talk SMACK all you want, Weiland was EASILY among the best performers I've EVER seen.

The guy was fucking AWESOME, damnit.

DEAD AND BLOATED, bitches.

\m/

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Oh my god, no!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this. He has been fired by every band he was in, some more than once, he has been in a downward spiral for most of his life save for a few times he tried to get his shit together. He died doing what he liked doing.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-04-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    They're all classics, imo. Listening to Shangri-la-dee-da now.
    Totally underrated album. "Hello, it's Late," is one of the best songs STP ever recorded.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this.
    Not surprised. I'm saddened.

They weren't my favorite band by a long shot, but they are part of the soundtrack of my formative years @allegro . I was 12. 13. It was Pearl Jam, Tool, Primus, AIC, STP, NIN, type o, Nirvana, soundgarden, smashing punkins, the breeders, the lemonheads, Jane's Addiction.
    It was a big deal and his death actually made me cry a bit

Long Term Junkie Overdoses is hardly a rare headline.
    It just breaks my heat a little. It's about where and when i was exposed to them, you know? I saw them live in 93 with the Meat Puppets. I was only 13 and it was a magical time. Sigh.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this.
    I hope against hope his death has nothing to do with drugs; if I'm surprised, is that he lasted this long.

In the second half of the 90s, I used to wake up every morning expecting to hear that one of my favorite artists had died: Scott Weiland, Dave Gahan, Trent Reznor and RDJ. I was sure none of them would see the new millennium.

So I'm not really surprised but it still fucking hurt. He had so much talent...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I hope against hope his death has nothing to do with drugs; if I'm surprised, is that he lasted this long.

In the second half of the 90s, I used to wake up every morning expecting to hear that one of my favorite artists had died: Scott Weiland, Dave Gahan, Trent Reznor and RDJ. I was sure none of them would see the new millennium.

So I'm not really surprised but it still fucking hurt. He had so much talent...
    There was cocaine on the bus, and they arrested some dude with cocaine.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

They weren't my favorite band by a long shot, but they are part of the soundtrack of my formative years @allegro . I was 12. 13. It was Pearl Jam, Tool, Primus, AIC, STP, NIN, type o, Nirvana, soundgarden, smashing punkins, the breeders, the lemonheads, Jane's Addiction.
    It was a big deal and his death actually made me cry a bit

Long Term Junkie Overdoses is hardly a rare headline.
    It just breaks my heat a little. It's about where and when i was exposed to them, you know? I saw them live in 93 with the Meat Puppets. I was only 13 and it was a magical time. Sigh.
    we're the same age and were probably watching alternative nation at the same time.

like you, not surprised. also like you, sad to hear this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

Welllll ... Jane's predates them by a LOT (first album = 1987, second album = 1989), but let's not nitpick, and we ALL lived through that period and can wax nostalgic about everybody who has died from that Alternative Nation period (there were a lot) so let's not go all Ego, here, but face it, he is one of many Rock Drug Deaths and a lot of his band mates (a) had given up on him and (b) saw this coming.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-04-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    There was cocaine on the bus, and they arrested some dude with cocaine.
    *sigh*

I also feel terrible for his family.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    *sigh*

I also feel terrible for his family.
    He's from a different time where people feel differently about it.

If Nikki Sixx died of an OD in the 80s (which he technically DID once but was revived and notoriously went home and changed his answering machine message: "hello, this is Nikki, I'm dead"), we would have talked about his career but toasted him. If Ozzy had OD'd, same thing. But by the time Alternative Nation rolled around, and 10 Alternative Nation people OD'd, people somehow kept hoping that these people would change and start acting like accountants? That's why I don't think people "get" how big it is for guys like Navarro and Reznor to be clean this long in the world of Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll (and Fame and Money).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Totally underrated album. "Hello, it's Late," is one of the best songs STP ever recorded.
    My favorite song might be Regeneration. Only song I don't really like is Days of the Week. Meh. The rest is pretty good.

Talk about an omen. I was listening to no. 4 when I wrecked my car... And I listened to some Velvet Revolver last night as well. Then I find out about Scott when I woke up this morning. Surreal shit.

Really hoped for a reunion with STP and some point. At least he left us with an amazing catalogue.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i know what you mean @allegro , and i DAMN sure saw it coming.
    But watch this and tell me it doesn't make you a little sad. Also, i think Ego is a HUGE part of it-because it causes a "People " to reflect on its OWN mortality

edit: just so you know, i wasn't using "a people" to talk about a certain group in any way.
    I'm just being insanely utterly goofy. you know, i'm a people, @c0f3d is a people, @allegro is a people.
    I'm pretty sure @marodi is the only person here who knows how goofy i really am.

And often, the sadder i am, the goofier things i will say
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does anyone live that hard anymore? Seems like the current gen have better habits or better PR.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Does anyone live that hard anymore? Seems like the current gen have better habits or better PR.
    No, I think "The Osbournes" was too much for everybody and everybody went to rehab and started getting wheatgrass colonics after that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Velvet Revolver released two cool concert dvds, one from 2004 and the other 2008. I'l post some clips when I am on an actual computer. VR's STP renditions were pretty sweet. And Scott was awesome on "Patience."

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    IDK though.
    Do you listen to hip hop?
    "Somethin' bout Mary, she gone off that Molly/Now the whole party is meltin' like Dali" --Kanye West on "Mercy"

"MDMA got you feelin' like a champion/The city never sleeps but it'll slip you an Ambien" --Jay-Z on "Empire State of Mind"
    "Coke on her black skin made a stripe like a zebra" Watch the Throne on "No Church in the WIld"
    Two white cups and I got that drank/Might be purple, might be pink/Dependin' on how you mix that shit" --Drake on "I'm on One"
    "Enough Oxycontin to send a fuckin' ox to rehab" --Eminem on "Underground"
    "I can mingle with the stars and throw a party on Mars/I am a prisoner, locked up behind Xanax bars" --Lil Wayne on "I Feel Like Dying"

Oxycontin - Xanax Bars - Percocet and Lortab Valiums - Morphine -patches - Ecstasy - and it's all up for grabsWhat'cha want - what'cha need - hit me up I got you man-Lil White on "Oxy Cotton"
    Then you got pop songs as blatant as "I can't feel my face" by the weekend and High by the Beach by Lana Del Ray.
    Or how about Kendrick Lamar? Chance the Rapper? Tove Lo? Tiesto? Sia? Ke$ha? Miley Cyrus?

So i guess my answer is Hell Yes, people still live that hard and sing about it and encourage others to do so too.
    I find it to be pretty sickening. I mean, i LOVE the lil white song, but what if i was 10 or 11 and trying to figure out what drugs were right for me, safe for me to try? And little wayne is singing "I treat that medicine like peppermints." Or how about Tyler, the Creator in "Yonkers" saying "i slipped myself sum pink xannies" and " made it home to catch sum damn adventure time" which is a show for kids.

So it's safe and pleasurable to take SOME (not one) benzodiazapines (which is, in my opinion, the most dangerous class of drug, the only one that features deadly withdrawals) and watch A FUCKING CARTOON SHOW. and he also kind of implies that you shouldn't tell yer therapist about it.

So i guess what i am saying is that HELL YES people live that hard. But instead of coke, they snort Molly which is HOPEFULLY mdma but god knows what in the hell is in any given batch (yes, i know from experience.)
    They eat shrooms, but not the cow shit kind, the lab kind.
    And kids these days tend to be REALLY into prescription drugs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Last edited by elevenism; 12-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    "Adventure Time" is a show for children of ALL ages.

And I think it's safe to say that if you're 10 or 11 and trying to decide which drugs are for you, then you're probably going to find them regardless of which pop artists you enjoy.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    "Adventure Time" is a show for children of ALL ages.

And I think it's safe to say that if you're 10 or 11 and trying to decide which drugs are for you, then you're probably going to find them regardless of which pop artists you enjoy.
    Whatever the case may be @Hazekiah , my point still stands. The "new generation" of pop stars still does drugs.

I'm damn sure not advocating for censorship. I guess i was kind of thinking out loud there-it's a tricky question.
    Just for the record, OFWGKTA kicks ass.

Now. Back on point.
    I think this is the best STP song
    And i'm damned glad i got to see them in 93. If you've ever been to the Starplex in dallas, you know there's a huge lawn behind the seats. And the lawn tickets are cheep. It's a cool venue, and i assume it must have been scott's first time there, because he said "This is really cool! So what, if you have the lawn seats, you sit back there and take mushrooms and make out?"
    And everyone cheered.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    We'll, yeah...I wasn't saying current pop artists don't do drugs, should be censored, or anything like that.

I'm just saying INEVITABLE is INEVITABLE.

If kids wanna find drugs they will.

It's not the fault of the artist who's expressing himself, ffs.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    We'll, yeah...I wasn't saying current pop artists don't do drugs, should be censored, or anything like that.

I'm just saying INEVITABLE is INEVITABLE.

If kids wanna find drugs they will.

It's not the fault of the artist who's expressing himself, ffs.
    No it sounded like I was advocating for some kind of censorship. It was my bad!

So when i saw them in 13 or 14, they played Vasoline, SilvergunSuperman, Crackerman, Loungefly, Meatplow, and Still Remains. Then they brought out like a living room set-up. It was so strange, but effective. It was around the height of the popularity of the unplugged thing. And they sat down and played Pretty Penny, Creep, Andy Warhol, Army Ants, Big Empty and POSSIBLY Interstate Love Song and Plush, all acoustic and slightly rearranged. I'm looking at a setlist, obviously, and i'm trying to remember what songs they played "unplugged," and i might be off by a couple. They finished up with unglued, dead and bloated, and sex type thing. This was either the summer of 93 or 94. How many of you guys saw this strange show?