Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hmm — The King of Limbs and TKOL RMX 1234567 are streaming now on Tidal. Don't recall those being on any streaming sites before.

Hopefully this means In Rainbows and its companion disc are on the way too.

Pretty sure the social media and website blackouts are in advance of a complete refresh for their announcement of a new album. XL is distributing their Parlophone-era back catalogue now too.
    Last edited by botley; 05-01-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    New album at UK dawn?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    This would be an opportune time to get Radiohead on HDTracks.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    so radiohead registers an LLC called Dawn Chorus... When May 1st falls on a Sunday, apparently it's international Dawn Chorus Day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    new album in the morning sounds like a strong possibility

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    new album in the morning sounds like a strong possibility
    Maybe the page will start to fade back in 24 hours after the point where it started to fade away, which was around 11am EST?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I haven't ever listened to The King Of Limbs, and I've only listened to Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief partially, and haven't heard any b-sides, though I've listened to all the other proper albums.

I've listened to and like The Eraser, but nothing else by Thom solo or Atoms For Peace.

I'm missing out on a lot aren't I?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    yes, you are.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Kid A is still one of the best albums anybody has done. Really stands the test of time, and a blueprint for all the stuff they've done subsequently.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I must admit, I haven't listened to Radiohead in a while...probably a year. This little stunt they just pulled put them back on my radar and I'm ready to do a deep dive through all my favorite shit of theirs again (which is mostly every album).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    popped In Rainbows and King of Limbs on today, really nice, I forgot what an album IR is (and that bonus disc is classy too). KOL has some lovely moments too, but feels a little in the shadow of In Rainbows, still lushy produced and some great high points.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    I must admit, I haven't listened to Radiohead in a while...probably a year. This little stunt they just pulled put them back on my radar and I'm ready to do a deep dive through all my favorite shit of theirs again (which is mostly every album).
    Exactly how I am now feeling, though I mouth off the chorus to "Just" about once a week.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    ummm.... at this point I'm just really confused. What the fuck is going on?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I haven't ever listened to The King Of Limbs, and I've only listened to Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief partially, and haven't heard any b-sides, though I've listened to all the other proper albums.

I've listened to and like The Eraser, but nothing else by Thom solo or Atoms For Peace.

I'm missing out on a lot aren't I?
    They're probably my favorite proper "band" (in that they have a consistent line up of members who all contribute and it's not just "Trent Reznor and Atticus and friends" or "Whoever Billy Corgan's hanging out with today"). There's so much gorgeous golden stuff. If you do choose to get really into it and give it a dive, you're in for quite the treat.

@Jinsai I'm just waiting for them to have the site fade back in slowly to reveal that there are now In Rainbows tour-shirt blankets available

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I want the site to fade back in with Thom Yorke singing a really melodramatic minor-key rendition of "Never Gonna Give you Up"

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me, anything the band did from The Bends to In Rainbows pretty much rivals any kind of run made by the best whether it's the Beatles, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Prince, the Clash, and Pink Floyd has done. I still think they're the best band in the world despite The King of Limbs which didn't do much for me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    For me, anything the band did from The Bends to In Rainbows pretty much rivals any kind of run made by the best whether it's the Beatles, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Prince, the Clash, and Pink Floyd has done. I still think they're the best band in the world despite The King of Limbs which didn't do much for me.

I agree

My favorite Radiohead will always be Ok computer, but My favorite song is How to disappear completely

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I like King of Limbs a lot. It's not my favorite but it's awesome and I don't get the general negative feedback. If some band you'd never heard of put that record out people would be doing backflips

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The only issue I see with TKOL was its length and the fact that all these extra songs got released left and right, I simply hate that kind of crap, wouldn't it be too much to ask to have it simply packaged with everything properly sequenced or with a bonus disc a la IR?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I like King of Limbs a lot. It's not my favorite but it's awesome and I don't get the general negative feedback. If some band you'd never heard of put that record out people would be doing backflips
    I honestly don't think so. It just wasn't up my alley, it doesn't mean I can't recognize it was possibly a good record, just not something that could keep my attention. Since Radiohead is a band I like and not a band I love, I never have high expectations about their new releases, just a fair amount of curiosity.
    It's just that, when their previous releases ticked the right amount of boxes for me, TKOL just missed the marks overall.

I also think that "new bands" have a positive bias, it's "easy" to surprise people, you don't need to reinvent the wheel, or even yourself. Lots of newcomers get praised for doing what's been done before, except older bands are taken for granted. People are just quicker at doing backflips when it's about challengers. So, in my opinion, even if that new band Audiobrain came up with TKOL, that doesn't mean much in terms of quality and innovation. That comparison isn't a fair gauge of how good TKOL is, to me.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    The only issue I see with TKOL was its length and the fact that all these extra songs got released left and right, I simply hate that kind of crap, wouldn't it be too much to ask to have it simply packaged with everything properly sequenced or with a bonus disc a la IR?
    staircase and Daily Mail are my favorite tracks from that period, but I like the idea of an album being an isolated work, like a novel. Extra chapters don't necessarily make the book better, and singles collections are usually terrible albums.
    @Khrz , maybe, and I see your point, but I think king of limbs gets bashed by a lot of people who wanted something else, and it wasn't appreciated for how interesting it was. It didn't scratch the itch for most fans, and so it was met with a lot of backlash. It's odd to be saying this because I'm actually a little pissed at the band for dropping the ball here by squandering the free hype and hysteria they generated... By DELETING their web presence. How many bands would kill to have an opportunity like that, and they just go dark and kind of blow it. It's like burning money in front of beggars.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    TKOL I really really enjoyed. It was one album I didn't raise my expectations very high for, and I think that is what happened with a lot of fans. In Rainbows (And the second disc) were so fantastic. Feral is still one of my favorite Radiohead tracks ever... that's just me though. I love how they always do something very interesting when it comes to their album releases, plus setting the tone for "Pay what you want" for an album. Cannot wait for this to come to light.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Radiohead is, along with NIN, the only band who could pull this kind of stunt and have my full faith and confidence really. I totally expect whatever it is that they deliver to rock my socks off.

TKoL was a thing of quiet strange beauty IMO and even though it's a cliche to say this about music in general, I never do, and anyone on here knows that, so when I say it I mean it which is that it is, far and away, one of the best albums on drugs I have ever heard. There's a textural approach to it that just fits that frame of mind so well, pot or psychedelics. It's just killer. But regardless of whether you're completely stone-cold sober or under any sort of influence I think it's full of great material. I never had the problems with it a lot of people do, but I don't think it was really made for everyone by any means -- whereas In Rainbows is very much their most accessible record in my mind. It's a perfect blend of their more guitar-rock sound with their weirder experimental side in a way where neither infringes on but instead compliments one another and is an easy way to say to someone new to the band, "Listen to this, tell me your favorite parts and I can recommend from there." TKoL on the other hand is ... it's a little out there, I suppose. They did something strange even for them with it. It's a little out there, but I find it really full of deep natural beauty and sorrow. It elicits so much nature imagery from me, it's beautiful.

Codex is such a beautiful song. Give Up the Ghost is powerful material to my ears. Separator's great. And I love all the B-sides, with The Butcher being a highlight to me. Such a great song.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I agree

My favorite Radiohead will always be Ok computer, but My favorite song is How to disappear completely
    OK Computer is my 2nd favorite album ever behind the Stone Roses' debut album. I remember the summer when it came out as I was hearing it at a pizza place and wow, it was mind-blowing. I was into Pink Floyd at the time and I thought this beat the shit out of Floyd. I would say that album was my Dark Side of the Moon for me. Everyone at school was talking about electronica, Hanson, KoRn, and all of that shit but Radiohead became the band for me as they helped me during that time when, I'm sure like a lot of us here, were waiting for the next NIN album.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I guess radiohead knows How to Disappear Completely

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Maybe the announcement is... a final album and a final tour and then.... that's it?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I see. What you. Did there.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That's only the 50th time I've seen that reference in the last 48 hours...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It would appear their official Instagram account is back with a short clip of what appears to be some kind of stop motion bird from a children's show or something.

Looks like it's back to my original plan of 'wake me up when they just up and announce the album.'