Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I've listened to that song through car speakers, professional audio speakers, my own home speakers, and through a decent pair of headphones, and I've never had trouble hearing anything. I should also mention that my hearing is not the greatest. Either you're listening to the song through laptop speakers, or your hearing is for shit. Yeah, it's a quiet song, but there's nothing wrong with the mix on it.
    It won't come as a shocker, but I listened to every other slow songs from NIN, and I never once had this problem with those tracks. AATCHB and ILFTMYF could be mentioned, but both of those songs are building up to something, so the quiet parts are not annoying. In LITS? Trent just whispers through the entire song. If that's good mix for you, then I am happy that every other slow tempo NIN songs were mixed in a different way.

I just hope 100 years from now The Slip will be regarded as the best NIN production of all time, and we will have come full circle with how literature is being taught in schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah, there's a difference between something being intentionally mixed quiet (see steven wilson's solo albums that have very quiet sections that are intentionally mixed that way so that there are extreme dynamics) and something being mixed poorly.
    This is what I opened with: I am aware that they deliberately mixed it in a shitty way, and that it wasn't a mistake. But the older The Slip gets, the more annoying this rising sentiment will become, that the production of TS can'T be criticized, because everything that sounds funky is deliberately bad. Making a record hastily should not grant protection for the obvious flaws such a recording method produces.
    Last edited by Volband; 03-09-2018 at 05:35 AM.