Page 448 of 528 FirstFirst ... 348 398 438 446 447 448 449 450 458 498 ... LastLast
Results 13,411 to 13,440 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Listening to the tape of Chicago night 3. It's a motherfucker of a show. Wow!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I love capital G. I love his vocals and the guitar riffs. Capital G is a great nin song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like Capital G as well, but my full appreciation of it is watered down by it feeling too much like The Hand That Feeds redone in Year Zero style. However, don't let this make you think I dislike The Hand That Feeds, because I do like it; in fact it holds a special place to me in being the first NIN song I ever heard.

Also, what parts on Capital G are the Saxophone, Trombone and Trumpet exactly? Never quite got that

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    You can hear the horns immediately after each chorus I think, leading into the next verse. They're pretty low-pitched, so they're actually kind of buried and you have to pick them out. They're a bit more pronounced right before the bridge and after the final chorus.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    You can hear the horns immediately after each chorus I think, leading into the next verse. They're pretty low-pitched, so they're actually kind of buried and you have to pick them out. They're a bit more pronounced right before the bridge and after the final chorus.
    Always better to hear it in the track itself but, there are the multitracks to hear all the nuances of one single sound

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    ilan rubin is moving up my list of favorite drummers quickly. the man is amazing!
    Last edited by chuckrh; 11-11-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails always had a way with aging well in terms of life experience alongside music itself that is, at least to me.

As for one example out of many, Only is seriously hitting me like a ton of bricks just right now.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    ilan rubin is moving up my list of favorite drummers quickly. the man is amazing!
    He is also are really nice dude! Met him twice (once after the NIN Scala show and another time when he was drumming for another band i will not mention) and both times he was really just happy to be around people that appreciated what he was doing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Decided to download the multitracks myself, and wow. No way I would have ever heard that without the multitrack.

Stuff like this is all over the NIN catalog, and even to this day I find more

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Dear World, is such a weird ass song live.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Usually I'll mention NIN and people will say "fuxk you like an animal guy, right?"

Today I actually had a 30 min conversation with a gentleman at work who also likes NIN and I've never had that with someone who wasnt my husband or someone we met at a NIN related event. We mostly talked PHM and TDS but it was still nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andallthatcouldhavebeen View Post
    Usually I'll mention NIN and people will say "fuxk you like an animal guy, right?"

Today I actually had a 30 min conversation with a gentleman at work who also likes NIN and I've never had that with someone who wasnt my husband or someone we met at a NIN related event. We mostly talked PHM and TDS but it was still nice.
    I also had a conversation with a guy at work, it was very brief but led right into Ministry (As I told him about Riot Fest) and Skinny Puppy, I had to stop and go WOW. I was just telling him yesterday how i was flying to Vegas for the Saturday show. Nobody I know "In the physical world" likes NIN.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 11-15-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    When I went in to see an allergist a little while ago, I was wearing my tour shirt from the current tour, and it turns out that my allergist was a NIN fan too (though he'd missed the recent EP stuff). Was definitely a pleasant surprise to be able to have that conversation in an unexpected environment!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm Not From This World sounds like the devil opening up hell from beneath, kind of a cool contrast to "God breaking down the door".

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    I also had a conversation with a guy at work, it was very brief but led right into Ministry (As I told him about Riot Fest) and Skinny Puppy, I had to stop and go WOW. I was just telling him yesterday how i was flying to Vegas for the Saturday show. Nobody I know "In the physical world" likes NIN.
    Did you let them know about ETS?

I'm just wondering, because it's become a knee-jerk reaction of mine every time I encounter a NIN fan in real life, which also happens to be very rare, with the exception of helping to earn new fans from the times I've introduced NIN to people I know.

I'll also understand if you didn't though for whatever reason, or just forgot as there were moments where I was so engrossed in the fact that I had a real conversation about NIN IRL, that I forgot to bring up any of the NINternet at all, or just from not really having the time to do so in passing.

However, I always thought that it's better for NIN fans in general to get to know about ETS and The Meathead Perspective. Almost every NIN fan I met that never heard of Meathead either, actually ended up loving his work and found it hilarious altogether, or at the very slightest found it rather entertaining, clever and amusing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    However, I always thought that it's better for NIN fans in general to get to know about ETS and The Meathead Perspective. Almost every NIN fan I met that never heard of Meathead either, actually ended up loving his work and found it hilarious altogether, or at the very slightest found it rather entertaining, clever and amusing.
    I remember discovering The Hand That Feeds on the radio when it came out. That shit was my jam. But i didn't care too much for With Teeth. I was 12. Fast forwarded a couple years later and it's march 2007. My parents said i could have one thing from Barnes and Noble and I decided to get Beside You in Time. Then further down the rabbit hole I went. I created an ETS account on the old one. Soon after, I got a few of my friends into NIN, not as hardcore into it as I am, but they still liked The Fragile and YZ once it came out. Then I found the Meathead clips when I was in my stupid BCIS class freshman year. Good times. I remember showing The Great Destroyer video to my friends and they thought that shit was hilarious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    Did you let them know about ETS?

I didn't, because hes not as into it as he used to be but he was very animated about how he used to love them. I was just in shock that someone in my tiny Christian community of a town knew what I was talking about.
    Oh man, meathead trent. I've been recently toying around with the idea of a meathead trent tattoo, just because. I have a little cartoon character tattoo on one shoulder so my husband suggested meathead for the other.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Thank you.

Usually we kinda know what we're doing up here... that song, we had no idea what we were doin' up here, so....

Think of it as an improvisational number.
    (from Ryan's Night)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Thanks to Nine Inch Nails RPG: Reznor's Quest, I can't "unhear" the following songs as such for the time being.

Dead Souls - Exploring levels, and moving on to other levels.

Last - Realizing that shit just went down, and that's where the real journey begins.

Head Like A Hole - Fighting enemies.

We're In This Together/Sanctified - Brace yourself. You're about to meet the final boss.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    What if nin instead of closing shows with hurt, closed with Right Where It Belongs. it's a closing song for sure, and eludes to the ties between Year Zero and Add Violence, imo. I know it might not be what was intended but... an elaborate dream, it just works.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    What if nin instead of closing shows with hurt, closed with Right Where It Belongs. it's a closing song for sure, and eludes to the ties between Year Zero and Add Violence, imo. I know it might not be what was intended but... an elaborate dream, it just works.
    I'll take anything over Hurt closing live shows. It's a great song, there is no doubting that, but just such a bummer of an ending.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I just realized that Not What It Seems Like on Fragile Deviations reminds alot of Zero Sum. Since it's a song that supposedly had lyrics, it's interesting to think of the lyrics on that track being Zero Sum's lyrics. I might actually put the chorus on there from the multitrack at some point just to hear it for myself.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-17-2018 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I had to take some time to think about it, but I now see what you mean. I've also been used to NIN being called a weird band altogether entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'm Not From This World sounds like the devil opening up hell from beneath, kind of a cool contrast to "God breaking down the door".
    It's interesting that you mentioned that because I had a similar thought about Play the Goddamned Part, as the part that God damned. It also helped that it reminded me of the Ganon/Ganondorf theme from The Legend of Zelda. Either track works for me though, as far as what you've just said goes.

I was thinking the same exact thing, but also included Terrible Lie being switched for Heresy as a show opener.

I just realized that Not What It Seems Like on Fragile Deviations reminds alot of Zero Sum. Since it's a song that supposedly had lyrics, it's interesting to think of the lyrics on that track being Zero Sum's lyrics. I might actually put the chorus on there from the multitrack at some point just to hear it for myself.
    Not What It Seems Like actually reminded me about I'm Afraid of Americans and Ghosts II - 18, and from the sound of it, it also seems like it could perhaps be remixed/mashed up rather nicely with Ghosts II - 18.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-17-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Every album from PHM through Year Zero has a companion remix album/EP...Then after YZ, Trent stopped doing remix albums....I would like to see NIN drop another remix album in the future. Especially considering how the trilogy (NTAE, AV, BW) is much more electronic than anything he has done in the previous decade. Those songs would be great candidates for remixes

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Every album from PHM through Year Zero has a companion remix album/EP...Then after YZ, Trent stopped doing remix albums....I would like to see NIN drop another remix album in the future. Especially considering how the trilogy (NTAE, AV, BW) is much more electronic than anything he has done in the previous decade. Those songs would be great candidates for remixes
    PHM didn't have one? A maxi single doesn't count - and EDIETS isn't really a remix EP either

I always thought Ghosts and The Slip not having one was weird though, considering he gave us the tools to do it

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    There was a digital only remix EP for Hesitation Marks, but yeah, I would love to see more remixes. I would especially love to see Alessandro do a remix of some of the newer material.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I always thought Ghosts and The Slip not having one was weird though, considering he gave us the tools to do it
    That was the point though. Trent gave us the tools and said "go crazy". The remixes could be whatever we wanted them to be, which was in the spirit of those albums.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 11-18-2018 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    PHM didn't have one? A maxi single doesn't count - and EDIETS isn't really a remix EP either
    I consider the HLAH "maxi single" a remix album...10 tracks...Its as much of a remix album as Things Falling Apart is....He just called it a "maxi single"...He could have easily called it an album (like he did with Things Falling Apart)....Even the EDIETS EP has 5 or 6 remixes of 3 different songs (similar to Fixed)...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A proper WT remix album would have been superb. There's so much cool stuff hiding in plain sound even when it comes to those seemingly straightforward tracks, just begging to be used as the backbone of weird re-interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'll take anything over Hurt closing live shows. It's a great song, there is no doubting that, but just such a bummer of an ending.
    Fans shouting "YEAH YOU ARE!" after the "I am still right here" line a'la Panorama 2017 should become a tradition. We all know how much the man hates being hackled during Hurt, but that moment was magical; as if it totally changed the song into some kind of celebration. I think everyone there loved it.
    Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 11-18-2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: engine thinking urls=vids

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    La Mer from And All That Could Have Been and Beside You In Time from Beside You In Time still sometimes manage to choke me up a bit from time to time.

Both songs along with their visuals from those DVDs just cut right through even when I'm not choked up.

For La Mer, it's the part where Trent lifts his arms at the screen and steps sideways as he brushes his arms on it. For Beside You In Time, it's the visual special effect of Trent shattering a gigantic screen with the mic stand.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

One more thought about this... I just want to clarify, I do really like Hurt. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here. But, Right Where It Belongs could be a nice alternative sometimes to mix things up, like especially if it fits the "theme" of a setlist.

(yes, I quoted myself...)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    There was a digital only remix EP for Hesitation Marks, but yeah, I would love to see more remixes. I would especially love to see Alessandro do a remix of some of the newer material.
    I want Alessandro's version of A Warm Place in studio.