Page 379 of 512 FirstFirst ... 279 329 369 377 378 379 380 381 389 429 479 ... LastLast
Results 11,341 to 11,370 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks does have some great songs that are relatively clean for NIN, but there is something about the quality of the best songs on these two EPs that is very surprising to me. "The Background World" is incredible.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't think Hesitation Marks is "safe". I think that "Everything" is pretty out there, it is pretty weird, and for NIN a risk take to make such a song, the song isn't even happy when you see that angry chorus. The album is kinda experimental, you cannot really name anything that sounds like Hesitation Marks from the NIN cataloque.

It's definetelly not "safe" especially for NIN, accessible, probably to most likely, but I don't see how the release was safe.

But I'll admit that in these EPs Trent is going out of his way much more to make really unfriendly records, some of the most experimental stuff..since Year Zero or Tetsuo.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I do think that the EPs are the best music from nin since The Fragile.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Alternative Nation are the most irritating website for taking quotes out of context to make clickbait headlines. The latest is that 'Trent reznor reveals why he doesn't give a shit that rock is dead' which is the opposite way round to what he said, rock is dead but I don't give a shit

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    If I had to choose a specific moment that forever cemented NIN as a band that would become my favorite ever and change my life, it would probably be that part in Right Where It Belongs where it finally goes from distant and muffled to clear and in-focus. Trent solemnly singing about isolation and the state of existence with a piano and some fuzz to sudden roaring applause. Oof. That did a real number on high school me.
    Let's say this is exactly my experience, too, except one song prior, Beside You In Time, when the beat breaks the shoegaze interlude. I knew I was won over.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    With Teeth was the first NIN album I listened to from start to finish, after only hearing a couple singles here and there and not quite clicking.

And then the latter portion of "All the Love in the World" happens, and just completely blows my expectations from the "fuck you like an animal" band out of the water. Ugh. That's a really solid album opener, and is still one of my favorite songs ever. That whole record will always be chock-full of nostalgia for me, and here I am now, over a decade later, still splurging about it online.
    That bit in the song where it switches up never fails to give me goosebumps.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    What happened to those playlists that Trent made on Spotify? The ones where he basically gave us all the songs they played on the PA before coming on stage? They seem to be gone.

I just want to get a peek again into what he listens to lol.
    There's 11 available here (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Deep Cuts
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    Definitive NIN – Quiet Tracks
    Definitive NIN – The Singles
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN Set Change I Forget When
    NIN/JA Set Change '09
    (Real Men Wear) Parachute Pants

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's 11 available here (not sure if this is the full list; only the Definitive Tracks collections are currently public and complete):

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN/JA Set Change '09

There is a fifth public playlist named My Shazam Tracks which only has "Coelacanth I" by deadmau5.
    thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.
    Last edited by ton; 10-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    thanks, for some reason I couldn't find them on Spotify mobile

update... I’m on my phone again and the playlists aren’t showing up. I guess it’s a weird thing on the app.
    Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Try this. Think of it akin to powercycling your modem, forcing updates/changes through the network:

Add the playlists to your account from the desktop (full) version. Switch both your mobile app and desktop to "Offline Mode" in Settings. Keep it off for up to 15 minutes and turn both back "Online". This should force Spotify to sync data across platforms.
    Thank you, this finally worked using this method!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Current Driving Music
    Definitive NIN – Heavy
    NIN Set Change '07
    NIN Set Change '08
    NIN Set Change Farewell
    NIN/JA Set Change '09

Awesome! I'll have lots of new tunes to listen to at work this week! I'll just have to put up with those awful ads a little longer I guess - goddamn Subway and CarToGo!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    For a few years now, Trent and Clive Owen have looked rather similar to me. Anyone else see that?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The more I listen to “The Lovers,” the more I fucking love it. The live performance leaves a lot to be desired though. I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I wish they didn’t use a recording of the whispered lyrics. Maybe it’s just too fast and difficult for Trent to sing live.
    I actually love that aspect of the live performance, mainly because it comes across as Trent playing a character in a story in that moment instead of him just performing the song. It's almost as if the words are too much for him to say himself, so he has to disconnect from it and play it back through the tape recorder so people can understand him and where he's coming from. I don't think it's laziness on his part. I think it's just a more interesting way to do it than just playing the lyrics back through the PA while Trent stands around and waits to come back in. He can be present in the moment at least.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I’d love to hear a Year Zero Deviations album.
    Oh man, that would be awesome! Wasn't there a song with Josh Homme that didn't make it on the record or something? I'd love to hear that. I bet there's a stack of cool odds and ends on Trent's hard drive from the YZ era.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I feel like this belongs here more than NIN Spotting:
    Husband and I are in New Orleans for the week, and last night we went to The Mortuary, a haunted house thing up on Canal that’s actually an old mortuary. When we got chased out of the last door back out into the crowd out front by dude holding a chainsaw, “The Hand That Feeds” was the first thing to hit my ears. They were playing music over the speakers in front of the house for the people waiting in line. Made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I get the feeling that there is way more unreleased material from the WT sessions than the YZ sessions for a Deviations album…and not just because of the song titles that were listed but never released. It was his first album sober and he had a lot of time to work things out and experiment in a full studio. I'd love to hear that stuff!!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-08-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    I just wanted to say that Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and The Background World are by far the latest Nine Inch Nails songs to have given me a sense of comfort, reassurance and peace.

In some, or many ways depending on the situations, being the strongest I have ever been in my decline is all that I could ever ask for. And the way Trent sings, "Are you sure, is this what you want?" has helped me calm down and clear my mind, especially when putting consequences into perspective. It's a common question, but the way he sung it just reached out to me in a certain way, as did the rest of the actual song itself.

And well, as always, thanks Trent. Your music is one of the things that helps me move on and keep calm, even in spite of how many times I get stuck, how chaotic my mind and heart trigger me so, or how many times I want to turn back/vanish.
    Coincidentally, both are closing tracks.

I find that several strong songs are closing tracks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Year Zero's music kicks so much ass, just wanted you to know.
    "Capital G" wasn't a song I was too interested in after the album dropped, but now it always turns into a fucking banger for me. SO GOOD. I'd love to hear more of those songs live someday. Aaand considering how much stronger some of those themes seem to ring now, I feel like it's a definite possibility for upcoming tours.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-13-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    As someone has estimated, I feel that a March-release for EP 3 is very reasonable. My estimation is February, and I'm willing to gamble with people on this. I will wager $100 Canadian.

reasonable predictions:

+5 more excellent songs
    +dynamic EP (to illustrate, ADD VIOLENCE is more dynamic than Not The Actual Events).... I'll be happy if we get 5 industrialized acoustic songs though
    +background vocals and vocal flourishes from Atticus

My vision for EP 3 is that it starts with a propulsive banger, second song is a This Isn't The Place blues/r n b song, 3rd song is a super-focused aggressive rocker that goes through 3 evolutions, 4th song is a tribal from out of nowhere bonkers song we haven't heard from NIN before, 5th song is an acoustic number with layers of synths and an awesome synth bass line

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried making a playlist that features Year Zero, Welcome Oblivion, and Add Violence mixed together? Since they are thematically related, I'd be curious to see what that sounded like.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The whole Louis CK news has really come as a shock to me since I had never heard the rumors. Now I wonder how I’d react if I heard Trent was unfortunately part of this group of deplorable human beings given how much his work has affected me.
    Seriously. I've idolized Twiggy for nearly 2 decades, Spacey was my favorite actor, and who doesn't love Louis CK? George Takei is even facing allegations. It'd be sweet if my idols could all stop being fucking creepers.
    Last edited by cheddamash; 11-12-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trent isn't part of that group. The wildest thing he's done is been in a threesome with Manson.