Page 345 of 528 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 343 344 345 346 347 355 395 445 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,350 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I've always had a very hard time finding a way to explain this, since it's really one of those things you either have or don't.

Anyway, after listening to Purest Feeling and The Fragile: Deviations 1 again, I can state with absolute certainty that some Nine Inch Nails tracks actually trigger my ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) *It's also very popular on YouTube.*, especially when it comes to panning effects and certain electronic static, slamming and clicking sounds. (In case anybody's interested, or not only knows but has experienced ASMR, I even made a thread about it on the Speak your mind section.)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...idian-Response

The static sounds from Closer to God, Appendage and No, You Don't also triggered it. With Deviations 1, it's definitely the crunchy sounds, plus the way the drums sound along with them. As for Purest Feeling, the panning has a lot to do with it, as played on Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, The Only Time, Twist and Down In It. (Especially with the Big Whole Mix version.) Trent's whispering and panning also helps, but even so, if it pans just right, I get my ASMR triggered regardless.

The most simplest and succinct way to describe ASMR is to perhaps imagine having pins and needles and goosebumps sensations around your scalp in the direction where the sounds are going. If intense enough, they'll actually go down from the top, back and sides of your head down to your spine and the rest of your body if you're lucky. ASMR also works best on headphones. In most cases, headphones are actually a must with ASMR.

When in the mood, I love it, because it really is like getting a scalp massage to go with the already immensely satisfying entertainment.

I totally know what you are talking about. I experienced The Fragile on a bunch of LSD and the panning effects, static, clicking, etc...the crunchy sounds, really got to me. It seemed very organic. That album changed my life that day.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I just want to say that Trent managed to create one of the sleaziest sounding songs ever with "Memorabilia."
    Well .. that's because Marc Almond created it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is what the Google Photos app thinks just like you imagined rehearsal .mov looks like, Trent's fucking thong.

Last edited by blassster; 03-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    From now on, I suggest we use the term "euphoric" for the most amazing moments NIN has offered.

"Running" is so fucking euphoric.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Just 10 months left in 2017... I'm starting to think that "two major works" are not happening this year.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    whoa. i had no idea one of soft cell's albums opens with a song called "mr. self destruct".

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The creepier side of NIN is the best side of NIN

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    whoa. i had no idea one of soft cell's albums opens with a song called "mr. self destruct".
    i've always wondered if trent is friends with marc almond. marc was in COIL in the early days and stayed friends with those guys up through their deaths, as far as i know, so i wonder if they all ever got together at any point to hang out.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Trent is pretty inspired by Soft Cell, especially the early stuff. Check This Last Night In Sodom for what is basically British PHM

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Trent is pretty inspired by Soft Cell, especially the early stuff. Check This Last Night In Sodom for what is basically British PHM
    i'll do that. i love non-stop erotic cabaret (now, anyways -- my sister had the cassette when i was a kid and something about it gave me the creeps), just never ventured past it.
    Last edited by kel; 03-01-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I'm gonna do yet another write-up on Hesitation Marks...

I'm listening to the latter half of the album. This time, I pay more attention to the lyrics and its intricate layering of sounds (up until this point, I would simply rock out to it, or lose myself inside it). Goddamn, the lyrics hit me much more in an emotional level now, especially I Would For You. Trent is simply at his most... ugh... broken... no... fragile... no, desperate and fearful state. He especially sounds worried about his family, afraid that his past lifestyle and depression may affect the people he loves. In an interview, he said that a particular "road rage" he experienced when he was in the car with his kids scared him, because he thought they could parrot his curses. When Travis Michael Keller of Buddyhead (a site Meathead and Aaron North used to write for) trashed HM, he said "Angst coming from a mansion? Whoa, that's pretty cool, dude". Without wanting to sound creepy, I was happy when Trent got rid of his mansion. It was a time for him to move on. I guess it was an ugly reminder of his "rock star" days.

As for NTAE, I view it as a great fuck you to those who didn't appreciate HM and Welcome oblivion. It sucks so much when you open up to people artistically and lyrically, only to get a "meh" response, and I'm sure people making fun of "Everything" didn't help matters. And even his big, "unfriendly" comeback backfired a bit, what with the whole Firebrand situation which left him frustrated and apologizing to everyone.

Dude. Can't. Catch. A. Break.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    @wizfan I really like "Various Methods Of Escape" the instrumentation on that track is awesome of love the break down part while he is singing "I think I could lose myself in here" because the drums switch from the electronic sample drums to what sounds like live drums (but more then likely just a different sample) either way when it comes out of the break it has a very heavy sound and sets up the guitar part nicely. I just love the way that whole thing sounds.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    the drums switch from the electronic sample drums to what sounds like live drums (but more then likely just a different sample)
    No, you are right, it is live drums, performed by Ilan Rubin.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    No, you are right, it is live drums, performed by Ilan Rubin.
    a brief reprieve from the sometimes repetitive loopy beats that are at the center of the problems with the record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks is an excellent record. I think it has to be one of the most underappreciated things Trent has done. There's so many cool electronic rhythms and subtle layers that reveal themselves as you listen more, and the music/lyrics have a kind of reflective nature that makes the whole album wonderfully atmospheric and immersive. All Time Low, Find My Way, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape, In Two, While I'm Still Here... those songs are fucking amazing! I just love how HM shows that Trent is still experimenting with the sounds of Nine Inch Nails, while putting so much powerful emotion into everything.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Hesitation Marks is an excellent record. I think it has to be one of the most underappreciated things Trent has done. There's so many cool electronic rhythms and subtle layers that reveal themselves as you listen more, and the music/lyrics have a kind of reflective nature that makes the whole album wonderfully atmospheric and immersive. All Time Low, Find My Way, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape, In Two, While I'm Still Here... those songs are fucking amazing! I just love how HM shows that Trent is still experimenting with the sounds of Nine Inch Nails, while putting so much powerful emotion into everything.
    I hope Hesitation Marks will be recognized as a master piece later on, like The Fragile

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think Hesitation Marks is a fantastic look at how depression haunts a person and how no matter how much you meet the metrics of whatever you and the world around you determine as being "success," it can still catch up with you, and in those moments it feels like something you can never defeat and will never overcome, that it's just a matter of time until it swallows you whole. It's dark, it's interesting, it's layered, it's moody, it reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine's electronics and of The Downward Spiral's attitudes all filtered through that ultra-clean and perfectionist method that he and Atticus had been employing since around Year Zero.

It's funny, I loved that record so much when it came out -- and it was the first one to come out while I was interested in the band, and so it led to my first tours for NIN and all of that great stuff that you never forget -- that I pretty much played it to death so much that now I have to leave it on the shelf for a while before taking it back down. I must have played it over sixty times in the first month of release alone, and it stayed heavy in my rotation from there on for quite a while. At this point it's almost like I know it too well when I hear it, and giving myself space from it lets it surprise me again.

Oh, and I think Russel Mills coming back to do the art was a very inspired choice and led to some of his coolest work. All of the different art across different formats was amazing and the fact that it eventually led to Cargo in the Blood is amazing. I love it when bands give physical artwork some attention and Hesitation Marks really celebrated it. Couple all that with the live outings for it and it's always going to be a very electric, very exciting period of time in the band and in my life.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I watched AATCHB for the first time in a while the other day - Robin definitely seemed to receive the brunt of the on stage 'abuse' didn't he?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Was listening to Broken, when suddenly I noticed that the intro to Suck has barely audible whispering in it. Ninwiki doesn't note it. So, has anyone else noticed this?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Was listening to Broken, when suddenly I noticed that the intro to Suck has barely audible whispering in it. Ninwiki doesn't note it. So, has anyone else noticed this?
    At the beginning of Suck, not Physical?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    At the beginning of Suck, not Physical?
    Yup. The synth line is unmistakable.
    Last edited by Kulerage; 03-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I think you can hear it at the end too. Right before the "a thousand lips" part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rewatched the BYIT Concert DVD, and the visual aspects during Only look exactly the same as Burning Bright's music video.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Yeah, panned left of center. I thought it was just an echo of "suck" because the first one is a hard S sound and there are whispers of the verses panned right later on, but now I'm not sure.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wonder if they're gonna include some of that dust in the vinyl for NTAE? I hope not.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I've always heard "what you did was try to stop it".
    Now I feel better thinking it was "but you didn't try to stop." It's almost the same as you thought.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I just want to say that Trent managed to create one of the sleaziest sounding songs ever with "Memorabilia."
    What do your nipples look like?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I think Hesitation Marks is a fantastic look at how depression haunts a person and how no matter how much you meet the metrics of whatever you and the world around you determine as being "success," it can still catch up with you, and in those moments it feels like something you can never defeat and will never overcome, that it's just a matter of time until it swallows you whole. It's dark, it's interesting, it's layered, it's moody, it reminds me of Pretty Hate Machine's electronics and of The Downward Spiral's attitudes all filtered through that ultra-clean and perfectionist method that he and Atticus had been employing since around Year Zero.

It's funny, I loved that record so much when it came out -- and it was the first one to come out while I was interested in the band, and so it led to my first tours for NIN and all of that great stuff that you never forget -- that I pretty much played it to death so much that now I have to leave it on the shelf for a while before taking it back down. I must have played it over sixty times in the first month of release alone, and it stayed heavy in my rotation from there on for quite a while. At this point it's almost like I know it too well when I hear it, and giving myself space from it lets it surprise me again.

Oh, and I think Russel Mills coming back to do the art was a very inspired choice and led to some of his coolest work. All of the different art across different formats was amazing and the fact that it eventually led to Cargo in the Blood is amazing. I love it when bands give physical artwork some attention and Hesitation Marks really celebrated it. Couple all that with the live outings for it and it's always going to be a very electric, very exciting period of time in the band and in my life.
    I am really happy are realizing this isn't a happy record at all, especially considering it ends with with a track called Black Noise. Let's even consider the album's title and its meaning.

Seeing people calling this the "happy Trent" makes me quite bothered as it shows people don't properly look through the lyrics and see what they meam, it's a very depressive yet real look at how even when life has turned around that feeling still lurs within. The album ends at Black Noise and "While I'm Still Here" sounds like a suicide note.

Trent appears very varnurable in the record throughout, it feels really honest and gives you amazing sense of the journey.
    Last edited by HWB; 03-03-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    You see, my problem with this is that it hardly resonates with most of us. You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.

Sure, you can always interpret lyrics to your own situation, but the majority of HM will never be as bombastic lyrically to a general audience as songs like Even Deeper, Somewhat Damaged or Love Is Not Enough. Also, you reflecting on your depression or depressive states in your 20s while still being in your twenties or early 30s can not nearly be as powerful, than looking back to it when you hae already fought your biggest battles in your life and now in a relatively happy place.

I am very happy this album has been made, definitely a needed piece in the discography (+ the tours), and I wouldn't rate it lower than a 7, but in the near future, I don't see myself bothering with it too much. It's more like the Still of The Downward Spiral, while Not The Actual Events is the next big thing after Ghosts I-IV.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    You see, my problem with this is that it hardly resonates with most of us. You need to be at age to really appreciate most of HM's lyrical content. Half of HM means nothing to me lyrically as a 25 year old, and even though age and experience can and do vary, you've got to be kidding with me, if you'd (you = any person around my age) say While I'm Still Here speaks volumes to you. Very nice lyrics, very nice delivery, I do get emotional by that, but no, I am way too young to actually look at couples passing by me as Trent does in the lyrics.

Sure, you can always interpret lyrics to your own situation, but the majority of HM will never be as bombastic lyrically to a general audience as songs like Even Deeper, Somewhat Damaged or Love Is Not Enough. Also, you reflecting on your depression or depressive states in your 20s while still being in your twenties or early 30s can not nearly be as powerful, than looking back to it when you hae already fought your biggest battles in your life and now in a relatively happy place.

I am very happy this album has been made, definitely a needed piece in the discography (+ the tours), and I wouldn't rate it lower than a 7, but in the near future, I don't see myself bothering with it too much. It's more like the Still of The Downward Spiral, while Not The Actual Events is the next big thing after Ghosts I-IV.
    There's this thing called empathy that some people have which is probably why johnny cash's Hurt didn't just resonate with people who are at deaths door after losing their partner a few months earlier. You know everyone gets old someday