Page 117 of 528 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    That was actually a really good interview - don't think I've ever read anything from Robin of any length before.

Robin sounds like a real douche.

////
    Obviously just kidding, he's always come across as a real chill and humble dude and I think his solo stuff is gonna be great.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was just listening to Heresy again, and have realized that it has actually been a habit for me to think, "No thanks. I'd rather not." on the part of the song that goes, "Will you die for this?"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    News. I need them.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I fear this will spread and more people will know the cover but not the original. No way, Nine inch who? That's our dear Diane's song!
    Yeah, I already picked on a commenter who was bashing Trent, stating the original sucked... but that's the price to pay, I guess. It's rare I meet people who appreciate NIN's work: they either like some of the songs, or just not into them, but I don't see the eagerness in them to dig deep. And I say this based on quite the sample size, because trust me, I tried to introduce them to almost everyone I knew, but 95% of the time it's either too noisy and harsh, or not power-metal. Everyone likes THTF though, haha.

Anyway, as cool it is to stay non-mainstream and keep our precious NIN to ourselves, I believe this female entity really grasped onto Copy Of A, it touched her - and I doubt she was just playin' some FIFA 14 and got along with the song, she probably liked NIN for a long time now, maybe inspired her in some other ways as well -, and we should be really proud if it skyrockets her career. Those people who will bash on NIN would not give a rat's ass about Trent's work anyway.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    That was quality - I've updated her wiki page to reflect what is bound to be the highlight of her career! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Birch
    Amazing, you've nailed wikipedia's broken sentence house style perfectly!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Wait, the Americans have illustrations in Harry Potter? Wtf?
    All American novels are illustrated, didn't you know?

(Sorry.)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Goddammit. I’m racing around trying to keep my head above water (figuratively speaking) and somebody decides today is the day to go into NIN news berzerker mode. Grammys! Remixes! Movies! Something about beets!

Just put me on record as saying “Yay!” to everything — wait a minute, I never liked beets — while I go back to work.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Wait, the Americans have illustrations in Harry Potter? Wtf?
    I picked up an American copy and it surprised me too, in Canada we don't have them. I think the ones here are exactly the same or very similar to the UK ones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    Goddammit. I’m racing around trying to keep my head above water (figuratively speaking) and somebody decides today is the day to go into NIN news berzerker mode. Grammys! Remixes! Movies! Something about beets!

Just put me on record as saying “Yay!” to everything — wait a minute, I never liked beets — while I go back to work.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post

Blame this guy
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    News. I need them.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Well then.

The Perfect Drug live @ rehearsals video. I need it.

Hope this works.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Well then.

The Perfect Drug live @ rehearsals video. I need it.

Hope this works.
    Did you just use your superpower for a rehearsals perfromance of TPF instead of seeing it live/have an HQ video where they perfrom it live in a big ass arena with lights that make you wonder whether you used LSD that day or not?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Well they aren't on tour right now. Unless... you know... the Grammy performance...
    Okay, I blew it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy Hell. NIN Christmas came late and its snowing!!!

-Seed 8
    -Grammy Performance
    -New film Score

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent's become Fincher's go to guy for the music in his movies.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk6980 View Post
    Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent's become Fincher's go to guy for the music in his movies.
    Let's hope it remains a one-way work-relationship.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    And Atticus just shows up uninvited?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Fincher probably still remembers Trent from the 90s and works under the assumption that he's a vampire. Atticus is too polite to be a creature of the night, so he doesn't need to be invited in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And Atticus just shows up uninvited?
    Why do people always feel the need to be a smartass? Especially online?

As you obviously understood the intent of my post. But for arguments sake i'll explain it more clearly. Yes Trent and Atticus will both be involved with the score but lets be realistic here, Trent was the main focus while Atticus happens to be his main collaborator who he likes to work with on projects.
    Last edited by jnk6980; 01-22-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    #rant
    NIN, I love you, but NIN-Fans, you're bringing me down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything Reznor has done is great. I still giggle at the pretentiousness of some 90s era TR-interviews. I still don't like Year Zero and don't think I ever really will. I like the TSN score but my wife and I have to laugh at the "Hand Covers Bruise" theme *every time.*

But by and large, I think Reznor and NIN have done some amazing things, and continue to do some amazing things, and it makes me happy that, out of dumb luck, the band that I clicked on to when I was younger has evolved into something ever smarter and fiercer. (As opposed to their competitors for my high school attention -- collapsing in on themselves like Manson, or just sort of fading out, like Tool.)

And yet, I feel like half of the posts on this board are just... really inane, banal silliness. The straw breaking the camel's back here is this idea that the remixes aren't experimental enough like FDTS. What you're really saying with something like that is that they're not scratching your brain the same way FDTS did. Which is fine, but get the fuck over yourself. You want to hear FDTS style music, either bust out your 90s era Neubauten or make your own. But acting like its not "experimental" because its not repeating the perfected wall of static approach is just silly. Frankly, the fact that its annoying you means its bold enough for me.

Or the Grammy's thing.... Jesus Christ, NIN played WOODSTOCK 94 for god's sake! The thing that got me into NIN was that it was injecting danger into the mainstream. If NIN was totally an underground band they never would have had the opportunities to blow our minds the way they did.

And finally... Beats. Holy shit, I see so many misguided posts on this it hurts my brain. If subscription services are a better way for people to get paid, I'm all in. I've had Spotify for a year now and the amount -- and variety -- of music I've listened to in that time is mind-blowing. I wish the payment system was more equitable, but growing the pie would be a good way to do that. There was a great quote from Reznor a few years ago about Spotify talking about how he wished the music industry would get back to people being able to hone their craft instead of tour all the time, and I think subscription services might be the way to do that. I don't see what the fucking problem is with him trying to be the one to figure out how to make it work?

I'm sure I'll get torn down, including rightfully so for whining about people whining, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 01-22-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    #rant

...but my wife and I have to laugh at the "Hand Covers Bruise" theme *every time.*
    Does not compute.

Care to elaborate more? I think the Blu-ray documentary on TSN soundtrack has Reznor talking about this track, on how he wanted to convey the fragility (no pun intended) of Zuckerberg's character with the piano line and blend it in with the darker undertones of his persona, represented by the eerie synth line. I think it's brilliant, and one of the best opening sequences I've seen in film.

Regarding Beats...in general I'm not a fan of subscription/streaming services. I guess I'm part of the older generation. You mention that you've been exposed to such a wide variety of music, and yeah, I can see that, but personally I think I'd be overwhelmed by the vast amount of music in a system like that. I rather grow my CD collection organically, buying three or four CDs a month and spending plenty of time with each one. A streaming service, I think it treats music like a commodity, something disposable and I don't like that. But that's just me.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 01-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Why do people always feel the need to be a smartass? Especially online?

As you obviously understood the intent of my post. But for arguments sake i'll explain it more clearly. Yes Trent and Atticus will both be involved with the score but lets be realistic here, Trent was the main focus while Atticus happens to be his main collaborator who he likes to work with on projects.
    I mean obviously, it's not like he'd already done 3 scores prior to TSN. And he's a secondary role as a collaborator, not writer, that's why his name isn't on the album name.

Oh wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I mean obviously, it's not like he'd already done 3 scores prior to TSN. And he's a secondary role as a collaborator, not writer, that's why his name isn't on the album name.

Oh wait.
    What does Atticus Ross having done other film scores have to do with his involvement with TSN or TGWTDT? My statement was in reference to the fact that Fincher approached Trent about working on the film not Atticus and Trent brought him along (as a collaborator).

And in all honesty this is taking away from the intent of my original statement. As all I was doing was making a point to showcase my enthusiasm about the upcoming score and because of a simple oversight or lack of recognition given to Attcus's involvement (I actually did mention his name in my original comment but whatever). You decided to take offense and go on a some sort of tirade about the comment.

So with that said let me rephrase my original comment.

"Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent AND ATTICUS have become Fincher's go to guys for the music in his movies."

Happy now?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    My point is that people forget about Atticus and the fact you managed to mention him and then instantly dropped him from the next bit. If it's a too-lazy-to-type thing, TRAR is even faster than Trent to type.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    #rant

Or the Grammy's thing.... Jesus Christ, NIN played WOODSTOCK 94 for god's sake! The thing that got me into NIN was that it was injecting danger into the mainstream. If NIN was totally an underground band they never would have had the opportunities to blow our minds the way they did.
    If you think him playing the Grammy's is about injecting danger into the mainstream, you couldn't be more wrong. maybe had he played the grammy's in 1995....This is more about conforming to the mainstream. TR has gotten into bed with everyone he has claimed to hate over the years( grammy's, late night talk shows, major labels) For years he bashed these people and said he is going to do it on his own, and yet now he's in bed with them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    If you think him playing the Grammy's is about injecting danger into the mainstream, you couldn't be more wrong. maybe had he played the grammy's in 1995....This is more about conforming to the mainstream. TR has gotten into bed with everyone he has claimed to hate over the years( grammy's, late night talk shows, major labels) For years he bashed these people and said he is going to do it on his own, and yet now he's in bed with them.
    Conforming to the mainstream? You do realize that Nine Inch Nails has been a mainstream band since the early years, right? There's no conforming being done here.

But since Trent is SUCH a sellout now, are you going to flush all your NIN CDs and DVDs down the drain? After all, you sure wouldn't want to be seen supporting that corporate sellout Trent Reznor, now would you?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    TR created this monster by being the one to state for years how he hates these people....Dont bash them for years and then get in bed with them 2 decades into your career and not expect fallout

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    TR created this monster by being the one to state for years how he hates these people....Dont bash them for years and then get in bed with them 2 decades into your career and not expect fallout
    You mean fallout from people like you who apparently lived under the delusion that Nine Inch Nails WASN'T mainstream for a long time? Yeah, I think he'll get over that.

And when will you people learn that Trent says A LOT OF THINGS. He's a smart man, but he also tends to get ahead of himself. He's a human being, and as such, he has the ability to change his mind about things. I'm sure the Trent of 2007 would balk at the idea of signing to Columbia Records, but time also yields perspective, and maybe the Trent of 2014 realizes that the Trent of 2007, or 1999, or 1994, wasn't right about everything.

But hey, you can keep living in your delusion if you want to. I'm sure you've got an old tube TV in your delusion that replays every music video from Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral on a loop so you can constantly remind yourself of the good ol' days when Trent wasn't such a sellout.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 01-22-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Faith No More is as anti commercial as it gets, and they have played a bunch of late night talk shows and awards shows and it's fine. because the never went out of their way to say "we are never being a part of that shit"...TR for 2 decades has gone on about "fuck late night talk shows, fuck awards shows, fuck the grammy people, fuck major labels" and now he's in bed with them all. The one time NIN did play an awards show, they did it on their terms, playing an obscure song offf The Fragile in front of a bunch of confused assholes in the audience. If TR comes out and does 'Wish' and screams 'fistfuck' on national tv, then I will give him props. But to slink out onstage, do what the grammy people want you to do, then walk off stage is conforming. Everything he claimed he was against.

I wish someone who interviews him in the next month asks him these things, and he will probably give an answer along the lines of "I realize I am going against everything I used to say, but it's a different age for music, etc etc"

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Faith No More is as anti commercial as it gets, and they have played a bunch of late night talk shows and awards shows and it's fine. because the never went out of their way to say "we are never being a part of that shit"...TR for 2 decades has gone on about "fuck late night talk shows, fuck awards shows, fuck the grammy people, fuck major labels" and now he's in bed with them all.
    So you've never changed your mind about anything in your life, correct? You've never said one thing, then years later said "Hmm, maybe I was wrong about that." or "Maybe I was right about some things, but wrong about others." You've never done that, right?