Page 87 of 264 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 137 187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 7892

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    We don't. It's none of our business, ye ken?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Uh, the specific net worth of the members of Tool is none of our business. That wasn't what I was asking. I was expressing my fascination and curiosity of the logistics of a rock band tour and using Tool as a template for asking the questions.

But still, come on, it's not as if postulating about the touring income of very public rock stars is some huge gross invasion of privacy. It's not like the people taking pictures of Trent's kids at Disneyland.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 07-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I'm endlessly fascinated by this shit, so if anybody has an answer to any of these questions, that would be rad.
    Okay, some quick answers:

-How much money the band makes on ticket sales depends on the individual contract that has been signed by all parties involved. Often times the specific number of tickets sold has less impact on the pay than you'd imagine. Instead, there is a guarantee that the artist will be paid regardless, and that increases by X every time a certain benchmark has been paid (say $300k for selling any tickets at all and doing the show, then another 50k if they break 10,000 tickets, another 50k if they break 15,000 tickets, and another 100k if they sell out.) Merch, concessions, etc, also all vary on a case by case basis.

-How much artists interact with each other on tours is largely decided by the headliners. Do a major stadium show and it's likely they never even bump into each other. Do smaller shows and the venue may not have enough dressing rooms to house everyone, so now you're asking people to basically live on their buses. Which, don't get me wrong, are goddamn nice. I still prefer a 12 hour drive in those to a six hour fly date. But you can only live in a bus so long before getting a little tired of your surroundings.

-Artists get paid both before and after the shows. There's a lot more to it and you'd have to ask a promoter, manager, or tour accountant for the details. That has nothing to do with me so I keep my nose out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the Denver show in October 2016? I'm looking for a nonscalper ticket so in other words, not having spend a week's pay on a ticket.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    These been posted yet?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No but I seen them elsewhere. You beat me to posting them!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    One of the best YouTube videos I've seen this year. Justin is the man!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the power is his voice back then....my god.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    the power is his voice back then....my god.
    With a balding mullet Mohawk.... comes great powers.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Listened to something I hadn't heard in awhile last night, the 1998.07.15 Wings Stadium Kalamazoo MI soundboard. Forgot how good of a recording this is, that and its got an awesome recording of Tool covering one of my favorite songs of all time, Stranglehold. Also, if you listened to the hell out of Salvial (like I did), there is another great take on the slow version of Pushit. This one is well worth tracking down. Here is the setlist (its one for the ages) ...

01 Flood
    02 Hush
    03 Fourty Six & 2
    04 Stinkfist
    05 Stranglehold
    06 Merkaba
    07 Sober
    08 Pushit (slow version)
    09 Eulogy
    10 Ænema
    11 Jerk-Off

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Listened to something I hadn't heard in awhile last night, the 1998.07.15 Wings Stadium Kalamazoo MI soundboard. Forgot how good of a recording this is, that and its got an awesome recording of Tool covering one of my favorite songs of all time, Stranglehold. Also, if you listened to the hell out of Salvial (like I did), there is another great take on the slow version of Pushit. This one is well worth tracking down. Here is the setlist (its one for the ages) ...
    I love this show too. The fact that so many of these weren't used for Salival is criminal. That performance of "Stinkfist" is just epic.

Sucks the taper didn't get the "Flood" intro, but beggars, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

01 Flood
    02 Hush
    03 Fourty Six & 2
    04 Stinkfist
    05 Stranglehold
    06 Merkaba
    07 Sober
    08 Pushit (slow version)
    09 Eulogy
    10 Ænema
    11 Jerk-Off
    Yeah this is among my favorite live recordings ever by any band ever. They were just on fucking fire that entire night.

Last edited by pulse; 08-25-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed url

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So, um, interesting fact.

According to the interwebs, Adam was asked about the lack of digital releases. From what Adam said, the label claims that 100% of any digital revenue would belong to them. That wouldn't actually surprise me since that sort of thing was written into a lot of contracts. I would assume that would need to be ironed out before anything else can be released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    According to the interwebs, Adam was asked about the lack of digital releases. From what Adam said, the label claims that 100% of any digital revenue would belong to them. That wouldn't actually surprise me since that sort of thing was written into a lot of contracts. I would assume that would need to be ironed out before anything else can be released.
    Source?

That would be seriously shitty though. I do have faith that the next Tool album will be released in at least a somewhat innovative way. I was really hoping for them to release it digitally, with the only option being high-fidelity lossless like Trent offers. With an ultra HD scan of the booklet, of course. That would mainly deal with their issues of appreciating the art fully, while also making the album highly accessible. There's been kind of a... big change in music consumption since 2006, so I hope they can truly adapt. Not that they won't tour the world and make a ton of money anyway.

But if they don't have the option of digital release at all and are stuck with CDs and vinyl... Ouch. Although, I wonder if a HQ lossless digital copy when you buy the physical album would circumvent those rules you said they were confined with.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I have a question.
    How much are Tool tickets going for these days?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I have a question.
    Too fucking much.

Tried to see them in Orlando last tour. Tickets sold out in moments and nosebleeds were selling for $150 a piece on StubHub immediately after. This happened to a lot of places and Tool's tonedeaf response was "JUST BUY OUR ULTRA-EXPENSIVE VIP TICKETS GUYS! YOU GET LIGHT REFRESHMENTS!!!"

Utter shit and while I've wanted to see them for quite a long time I refuse to jump through hoops to do it when mainstream major pop acts at their peak are easier to get tickets to.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I have a question.
    They're like $150-$200 on stubhub. I was thinking about the Denver show but decided on the MJK book tour Chicago show in November instead.

Edit: I read that wrong, yeah tickets are way too much...
    Last edited by heavenly_bearded; 08-31-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Nose bleeds in Little Rock start at $55- which is notable since it wasn't an immediate sell out. Highest "face" are $100 for this tour.

Decided to see them in Arkansas a couple months back as I found seats for pretty much face in row 21 on StubHub (basically first row of second section) and center in front of the mix.
    Last edited by Krazy; 09-01-2016 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I really wanted to see them in SLC, but yeah, tickets sold out immediately. So I can either buy way too expensive tickets from a (1st party) scalper site, or just try to find somebody selling a shitty nosebleed seat. Factor in travel and a motel and it starts becoming way more than I'd like to spend. Especially since I'm already travelling to see Ween a week prior to the Tool date. Tool is my favorite band (if you couldn't tell) but I've really fallen in love with Ween lately, so I'm going to see them for the first time (and got tickets to the Friday and Saturday night shows.) Choices.

(P.S. I'm kinda hoping the setlist is the same shit it was last time so I don't cry about them playing rare shit.)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    this is rough, these ticket prices.
    my brother lives in denver and the show is on his birthday. i was excited and then i saw the ticket prices.

He and i have seen tool 3 times together and i saw them once without him. the tickets were between 20 and 30 dollars if i'm not mistaken.

Man, i miss the day. Used to you needed 20 or 30 for the ticket and 20 or 30 for a shirt. NIN, Tool, Prodigy, Outkast, Type O, all that shit.

I fucking ADORE tool. They are my favorite pure rock group.

But i would only pay $100 for like Jesus Christ and His all star band.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but did you guys notice Maynard's masonic gesture on the cover of his book?
    My father's father was a 33rd degree mason and the Grand Potentate in texas at the time, and he did the same shit in pictures, hiding the hand.

Is this just more trolling from the boys or does it actually mean something?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-01-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Sorry for double post, but did you guys notice Maynard's masonic gesture on the cover of his book?
    My father's father was a 33rd degree mason and the Grand Potentate in texas at the time, and he did the same shit in pictures, hiding the hand.

Is this just more trolling from the boys or does it actually mean something?

Well, I'm not sure it's just a Mason thing.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Keenan's thumb is also visible in the cover shot, so isn't that technically a different pose?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Keenan's thumb is also visible in the cover shot, so isn't that technically a different pose?
    Oh wow @Leviathant . I was not aware of the ubiquity of the gesture. So perhaps he was trying just to look old world classy.
    At the same time though, i just searched for "maynard keenan freemason," so perhaps he was trying to add to the ole mystique.​ @botley i guess it is but i would imagine that the "hidden hand" thing was what he was getting at.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-01-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Source?

That would be seriously shitty though. I do have faith that the next Tool album will be released in at least a somewhat innovative way. I was really hoping for them to release it digitally, with the only option being high-fidelity lossless like Trent offers. With an ultra HD scan of the booklet, of course. That would mainly deal with their issues of appreciating the art fully, while also making the album highly accessible. There's been kind of a... big change in music consumption since 2006, so I hope they can truly adapt. Not that they won't tour the world and make a ton of money anyway.

But if they don't have the option of digital release at all and are stuck with CDs and vinyl... Ouch. Although, I wonder if a HQ lossless digital copy when you buy the physical album would circumvent those rules you said they were confined with.
    Unfortunately I don't have a source other than the Tool Army FB group and someone at one of the shows. It jibes with other reports that Adam claimed there were two completed videos but they couldn't release them because the label would front the money for a release but had hamstrung them on trying to recoup the costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    At the same time though, i just searched for "maynard keenan freemason," so perhaps he was trying to add to the ole mystique.​ @botley i guess it is but i would imagine that the "hidden hand" thing was what he was getting at.
    I don't think that your own actions post hoc enlighten what, if anything, Keenan meant to communicate with this pose. All I'm saying is that you posted a diagram, apparently from a book with illustrations of poses that have symbolic meaning to Freemasons (or an Internet reproduction thereof, from whom and from what original context I wonder?), and the pose on Keenan's book is different in at least one important respect. My grandfather was also a Freemason but I don't know what rank he achieved and I certainly don't remember seeing him pose this way in photographs.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenly_bearded View Post
    decided on the MJK book tour Chicago show in November instead.
    Would have loved to go to that but the middle-of-the-work-week date doesn't cut it for me. And it's one hell of a deal factoring in you get a copy of the book.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Would have loved to go to that but the middle-of-the-work-week date doesn't cut it for me. And it's one hell of a deal factoring in you get a copy of the book.
    Wait, what? Like with any ticket purchase? I would have gone if I'd known that, and just canceled my preorder. But the price for the reading alone was too steep for me.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Wait, what? Like with any ticket purchase? I would have gone if I'd known that, and just canceled my preorder. But the price for the reading alone was too steep for me.
    From what I read, yes- any ticket purchase. Tickets were around $60 IIRC.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    From what I read, yes- any ticket purchase. Tickets were around $60 IIRC.
    I was looking into the Toronto gig. Can't find anything that all that mentions getting a copy of the book.