Page 83 of 110 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,490 of 3283

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    This album is growing on me. I still hate a couple of the songs on here but I cant expect, nor do I want, a band to make the same music over and over again.

Anyone else like Get the Lead Out? I freaking love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's the one track I keep going back to. At first I didn't like it, but there was something odd/unique about it that stood out above the rest that made me want to keep going back to it. I love that song.

Easily the standout track of the record.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    This album is growing on me. I still hate a couple of the songs on here but I cant expect, nor do I want, a band to make the same music over and over again.

Anyone else like Get the Lead Out? I freaking love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, that's the one track I keep going back to. At first I didn't like it, but there was something odd/unique about it that stood out above the rest that made me want to keep going back to it. I love that song.

Easily the standout track of the record.
    Count me in for loving that song too. I've found it interesting from the beginning. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it was memorable. After hearing it 2 more times, It was one of my favorites (along with TalkTalk, Hourglass, Feathers, Disillusioned, The Doomed, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish, By and Down the River).

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Count me in for loving that song too. I've found it interesting from the beginning. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it was memorable. After hearing it 2 more times, It was one of my favorites (along with TalkTalk, Hourglass, Feathers, Disillusioned, The Doomed, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish, By and Down the River).
    My "Eat the Elephant" playlist is similar.
    Mine consists of:
    TalkTalk
    Delecious
    Hourglass
    So Long
    By and Down
    Get the lead out

I guess it makes an OK EP, lol.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So I really didn't like So Long and Thanks For All The Fish at first, but it got stuck in my head. And then I read the lyrics and read about the reference and I think the lyrics and the concept behind the lyrics is just awesome.
    Now it's the one I keep listening to.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Pitchfork just fucking massacred it... 4.9

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...-the-elephant/

I basically agree with the review. 14/15 years between albums and this is the best they can come up with? The new Tool is going to be so bad

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The album isn't outstanding (hasn't got a good flow, the title track is a snorefest), but i'll buy it when i'll come across a good deal

P.S. i have a good feeling about new Tool, hovewer, which i can't really explain.
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 04-23-2018 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

I basically agree with the review. 14/15 years between albums and this is the best they can come up with? The new Tool is going to be so bad
    Oh, look...another shitty Pitchfork review. The writer spent more time talking about the band than the actual album he was supposedly reviewing. Fuck those guys.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I like the album aside from So Long, Delicious and DLB. So Long just made me think of The Cranberries the first time I heard it. I got nothing against The Cranberries, but it's not the style I'm looking for when I listen to APC. Delicious just sounds musically pretty generic, and it feels Maynard's lyrics echo that. I think the subject matter of that song is interesting, and reminds me a bit of Flippant, but, as a whole, it feels pretty weak to me.

DLB just seems like intermission filler. Like Billy came up with a piano melody, but couldn't find a way to create a whole song out of it, but he liked it enough to throw it on the album anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a song later that takes this melody and extrapolates on it similar to Lullaby and Pet on Thirteenth Step.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Been listening to this (and a few others) over the weekend with my headphones and, some songs i don't really like, but others i freaking love!

I'll start with the weaker tracks, for me at least, 1 - 2 stars...
    Eat the Elephant
    Feathers
    The Contrarian
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I don't think after this week i'll listen to these again, they just aren't doing anything for me. Maybe Feathers and Eat the Elephant might grow but right now they're not doing it for me.

The 3 star songs
    Disillusioned
    By and Down the River
    DLB
    TalkTalk

These are OK, they'll get onto my phone but probably won't get a heavy rotation.

The 4-5 star songs
    The Doomed
    Delicious
    Hourglass
    Get the Lead Out

These are great, up there with Pet and Passive (for me), and are already getting heavy rotation on my commute to work.

All in all the album is above average, better the eMotive and some really freaking great songs.

On a different, when i was adding this and the other albums i'd downloaded to my phone over the weekend, Add Violence disappeared...even though it's pretty much been on repeat on my phone. Was no longer on my phone (and not hidden in any files) not on my music program on my PC, not even in the hard drive anymore! And the email with the download was dead, and my NIN account no longer existed...it's like i never owned it!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Hey @Tyson , are you the same Tyson that frequently posts on Fourtheye?...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Hey @Tyson , are you the same Tyson that frequently posts on Fourtheye?...
    That's a negative.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Eat The Elephant is pretty homogenic.
    Yes, but so was Mer de Noms. On first listen both these albums have songs that sound very much alike.

Eat The Elephant has a weird, sort of anti-climatic flow and structure with skippables and filler.
    Yes, but so has 13th Step.

My biggest problem with Eat The Elephant is how few strong hooks the songs have, unlike the first two albums. Both musically and lyrically, it feels like melodies are a bit lazy, like theyre the result of first take jams. There are literally no earworm choruses here, at least not as strong as those on MDN and 13S, which is why I think it comes out as an overall lackluster listen.

That being said, I still enjoy it more than I probably should. TalkTalk, Disillusioned, So Long, Feathers all have parts I look forward to.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I listened on repeat all weekend to see if i would change my mind, turns out i like it even more...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    "The Doomed" makes me feel too much like I'm listening to Metallica, and that ain't cool.

Just an incredibly weak album...songs and flow.
    ... What Metallica songs are you listening to?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post

I can't tell if this is peak trolling or not, billpulsipher, but mentioning a Pitchfork review as a reason to trash an album, especially on THIS board, is pretty damn funny.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This album is starting to make me think it might be similar to Smashing Pumpkins' Adore in that upon it's release, a considerable chunk of the fan-base is initially confused and alienated by it, but after several years have passed, many of the aforementioned fans will revisit the album and see it for what it is, not what they expected or thought it should be, and develop a newfound appreciation for it. As with Adore, I understood why many of my friends didn't immediately love it like they had Siamese Dream (Mer de Noms) or Mellon Collie (Thirteenth Step) before it. But like Adore, Eat the Elephant feels like a very honest record that will age well. It deviates from the previous material more than expected, yet still sounds unmistakably like APC (at least to me). Granted, I am saying all this only a few days after its release.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i still can't get past that stupid fucking cover.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    This album is starting to make me think it might be similar to Smashing Pumpkins' Adore in that upon it's release, a considerable chunk of the fan-base is initially confused and alienated by it, but after several years have passed, many of the aforementioned fans will revisit the album and see it for what it is, not what they expected or thought it should be, and develop a newfound appreciation for it. As with Adore, I understood why many of my friends didn't immediately love it like they had Siamese Dream (Mer de Noms) or Mellon Collie (Thirteenth Step) before it. But like Adore, Eat the Elephant feels like a very honest record that will age well. It deviates from the previous material more than expected, yet still sounds unmistakably like APC (at least to me). Granted, I am saying all this only a few days after its release.
    This. Every listen seems better than the one before for me. I went from "eh, it's alright" and not really feeling the singles at all to "not as bad bad as I thought" to "this might be pretty good afterall".

First time I heard "So Long", my immediate reaction was "wtf is this?! U2?!". Was also probably my least favorite songs of the five singles. Now, it's probably one of my favorite songs from the album.

No beating The Contrarian, I think. I really love that one.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It seems like it's a thing now to hate new albums for no reason whatsoever. People hated TKOL, A Moon Shaped Pool, Hesitation marks, Monuments to a Elegy, Villains, Like Clockwork, 10K Days, I'm with you, The Getaway, etc etc.
    Can't wait for the new Tool album, that's when the floodgates will open for reals.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Think it's always been a thing to instantly hate on something that goes against your expectations.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I can't tell if this is peak trolling or not, billpulsipher, but mentioning a Pitchfork review as a reason to trash an album, especially on THIS board, is pretty damn funny.
    That girl in pitchfork usually is clueless. She trashed Faith No More's last album....So I would love to disagree with her on this since I hated her FNM review...but she was actually right on with the APC review

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “Get the Lead Out” is a saxophone away from being on par with “While I’m Still Here.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FWIW, I fucking loved SP's 'Adore' when it dropped.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I didn't hear Adore until years later. Didn't know about the backlash it got. Loved it instantly. I get why it would though. It's not easy going from an album like Mellon Collie, a single like Ava Adore, then surprise everyone with an electro/acoustic album. People were blindsided.

Not the case here. You had a good idea of what you were getting. It's whether or not you have an open mind and are willing to accept and see what the album really is, like Adore.

With Eat The Elephant, you got to hear five songs early. You got an idea what you were getting, but not the context of what they offer to the full album.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    It's whether or not you have an open mind and are willing to accept and see what the album really is...
    Mediocre, at best? Fuck Pitchfork, but that 4.9 seems like an accurate score.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Mediocre, at best? Fuck Pitchfork, but that 4.9 seems like an accurate score.
    Out of 10? I usually take their reviews with a grain of salt anyway. They always seem like they purposely try to be harsh and trash an album. Plus, you gotta wonder how many listens they gave it. Likely not enough.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Dear god why can’t people fuck off with the broad brush that is painting everyone who doesn't like the same art as you as being close-minded? I don’t dislike this album because I expected something different than what I got — I had a very good idea it would be what it is, I just happen to not care for what it is. Anyone could use that argument of “I guess you’re too close-minded to enjoy this” to defend literally any band, book, movie, show, etc. and it’s bound to be true of some people but it’s not a great case to make at all.

The hooks didn’t catch me, the melodies didn’t do anything for me, the lyrics left me cold save for some rare exceptions and the production bored me. I’m not a fan of the fact that most of these songs could lose half their length and be just as impactful, I don’t like that Maynard’s preachiness feels childish and underwritten, I don’t enjoy the fact that none of the critiques made are unique or original and most of all I don’t enjoy it when I hear it played. That’s valid, just as liking this album is valid, and to dismiss everyone who doesn’t enjoy it as close-minded entitled children who just can’t accept new ideas is elitist and tries to take your taste and weaponize it into a judgmental tool that allows you to deride anyone who doesn’t like the same things as you.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 04-23-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Out of 10? I usually take their reviews with a grain of salt anyway. They always seem like they purposely try to be harsh and trash an album. Plus, you gotta wonder how many listens they gave it. Likely not enough.
    Except “they” is always one persons opinion. I still don’t understand why a music publication/website/wutever like that doesn’t have a panel or a number of their writers review the same album. It’s like having one judge during the olympics (ok, bad example).

That dildo who reviewed The Fragile and Lateralus was NEVER going to like those albums just because of who the bands/musicians were. His hands are probably now callused from jerking off Thom Yorke.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    While I do enjoy most of this album, “Delicious” really isn’t grabbing me much at all. Also, “DLB” just feels like an unnecessary filler track.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Dear god why can’t people fuck off with the broad brush that is painting everyone who doesn't like the same art as you as being close-minded?
    I don’t think people are close-minded. I do tire of people coming here to wax poetic about how bad the album is and prattling on about all the album’s flaws.

If it’s not your thing, great. But you’re literally going out of your way to find this thread, open it, and spend the time telling us you didn’t like it and opining on the band’s failures.