Page 175 of 263 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 225 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,250 of 7888

Thread: The little things that piss you off

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    If you go to Bing and search for "UConn Women's Basketball" because you, like me, want to read about their 100th straight win, you'll see that the team has a 12-12 record right now. That's confusing as hell, right? So I did some digging and it turns out the men's team is 12-12 right now and the women's team is 25-0. So what stupid-ass search algorithm says "display the men's results when people search for women's"?

All this and it is a featured story on the Bing search page.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    True, but isn't half of working in law the ability to prevaricate? Or at least certain kinds of law?
    No. None. It's all based on law. The attorney-client relationship is based on truth, and in a Trial there are rules of evidence that prevent certain things from being said.

And the "crooked" ones get disbarred or at least suspended. The legal system is much better at babysitting its practitioners than any other industry. All a client has to do is file a complaint (a simple letter) with the ARDC and the ARDC is BOUND, by LAW, to address the complaint and write up the attorney, and the attorney MUST file a response to the complaint; every single complaint is investigated. Sometimes it's just a pissed-off client who doesn't want to pay and is exacting revenge, but even THEN, it's handled like a legitimate complaint.

While I was studying Ethics in school, the instructor actually had us provide a bunch of "lawyer jokes" about the widely-held concept that lawyers are crooked, probably based on ancient hatred of lawyers but not much on FACT. Like, the biggest one quoted is Shakespeare, but he wasn't even talking about hating lawyers; he was talking about the way to suppress the truth.

Ala Donald Trump.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-14-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And speaking of little things that piss me off, my work computer logs me out after, I don't know, five minutes or so. So, if I compose a longer post--which I just did--and then try to post it, the site says "You are not allowed to do that," and the whole thing goes away. I don't know what precisely the setup on this computer is, but it's annoying as shit. And, even though I always copy the text before I post, someone at work required me to do something, so I copied something else right after that, before noticing that I'd lost the post.
    I believe that ETS, itself, logs you out after a certain amount of time. When that happens, go 'back' and copy the text that you had composed, then log in and paste the response.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thanks. It doesn't do that to me at home, but yeah, that's worked for me on other computers over the years. It doesn't work in my office. I don't know why. I'm not sure how they've got the computers here set up, but everything on every site anywhere gets weird. I'm sure they just don't want me frittering away my work hours on the web.

Joke's on them, though. I rewrote the post. Now I wasted TWICE the time.
    It does it to me on every device I have, including iPhone, iPad, iMac and my Win7 machine; if I take too long to type my response on ETS, the board seemingly doesn't allow me to be logged in indefinitely without what it sees as "activity" which it, for some reason, doesn't see as typing a reply.

Generally, the browser, itself, has to do with whether or not the "back" button will actually return you to what you were doing on the prior screen; not the "computer." If you've spent, say, 20 minutes typing a reply, and ETS has logged you out, the browser itself may have not cached your prior screen.

https://www1.udel.edu/sakai/help/con...ser_cache.html
    Last edited by allegro; 02-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Finding out @Sarah K got rid of her Facebook page

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    LAW. We are bound by the Canons of Ethics.

But professions that are likely to lie? Sales. Particular Cars and Health Club Sales. But I think what @Dra508 was saying is that even though Salespeople are known for lying, it doesn't mean it's any easier being lied TO by said salespeople, particularly if you're working on a team and they're throwing you under the bus with lies.

I have been lied to, on NUMEROUS occasions, by people in construction. Even by my CLIENTS in construction. Totally full-of-shit industry, unfortunately.

The Xfinity cable guy also lied to me, telling me that I had to re-wire all of the co-ax in my house before I could get X1. A really nice Comcast/Xfinity chick helped me out last week by having a management rep call me, the nice Xfinity lady said that the cable guy was LAZY and lied. A week later, I have X1 on three of my TVs and the management rep who helped me last week called again this morning (as promised) and is sending out 3 more boxes. Which I could have had two years ago, if not for the lazy lying cable guy. Everybody HAS TO switch to X1, they're phasing out all of the old system.

Edit: On topic. pisses me off: the fingerprint ID thing on my iPhone 7 keeps blowing out my fingerprint, and I keep having to recreate it.
    i kept telling you you should have me come and look at your stuff, i would have been able to tell you two years ago that your system was capable of handling X1 (even though i hate X1).

it's scary to me that people in the construction industry lie. i would think that would endanger a lot of people (including people like me, who come in and do low voltage in the midst of all the construction).

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i kept telling you you should have me come and look at your stuff, i would have been able to tell you two years ago that your system was capable of handling X1 (even though i hate X1).

it's scary to me that people in the construction industry lie. i would think that would endanger a lot of people (including people like me, who come in and do low voltage in the midst of all the construction).
    There is mostly shoddy work and then lying and claiming it is industry standard, or blaming the owner, or HIDING it, or using inferior materials and NOT disclosing it (lying) leading to costly problems that homeowners get stuck with, etc. etc. I could write a friggin" book. The worst thing is not reading design plans or appliance specs or whatever and then just doing whatever they want and when it snowballs into punchlist items that are sometimes PERMANENT (wrong brick used, window installed FEET from its intended location, etc.) they'll blame EVERYBODY ELSE. If you're a sub not hired via the general, document everything you do with pics.

"Lying" includes lazy work and not disclosing it or blaming another sub or not finishing the work and running off with the money. My biggest pet peeve is when they mis-measure shit. I've seen the worst dumb shit with that including a client (buyer) and a new expensive condo in the south Loop with HUGE slabs of expensive marble and they put the cabinets in wrong and mismeaured the slabs so one was nearly an INCH short and the morons filled the gap with CAULK, then they were refusing to do a real fix (re-order the slab) so we had to threaten to sue them, then they threatened to sue HER for not closing on time per the contract because they said this was a punchlist item that did not affect habitability (technically correct) and punchlist items like that survive the closing; but good luck ever getting a contractor or developer to pay for anything after you've closed. Ha.Ha.Ha.

If I ever bought or built new construction, I'd hire my own engineer to do an inspection or to babysit the entire job while in progress. If you buy a home in the future, buy one built in the 50s; best construction work and mid-to-late 50s have conduit.

Ever watch "Holmes on Homes?" Yeah that shit is for real.

SEE ALSO THIS RE CHICAGO CONDOS FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

Re X1: I didn't want to PAY anything for the switch. Unless we finally do that $20,000 basement remodel, which isn't even remotely on the horizon right now. So, I got it all for free, with no re-wire and no tech appointment. I got the boxes mailed to me and I self-installed. But X1, get used to it; Comcast has been phasing out the old system for two years and everybody is going to X1 whether they like it or not. I like it because I have pause and rewind on every TV (not just the one with the DVR), voice remote, anywhere DVR, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Finding out @Sarah K got rid of her Facebook page

Ummm, MAYBE I JUST BLOCKED YOU?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Ummm, MAYBE I JUST BLOCKED YOU?
    IM A NICE PERSON

lowercasetext

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    IM A NICE PERSON

lowercasetext
    I'm just buckling down on school. This is probably going to be my toughest semester of undergrad, so I need to focus as much as possible. So instead of dicking around on facebook all day at work, I'm using that time to complete reading and note taking. This is also my last semester to get my grades up high enough to hopefully balance out my shitty grades from my first try at college, so I can get my overall GPA up high enough for grad school admission. I'll have to start filling out those applications in the fall, so this is really my last chance to bump it up.

I'll activate on the weekends if I don't have a ton to do. But I'm trying to keep it disabled during the week as much as I can.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've noticed lately I've been using the wrong letters in some words, skipping words or just using the wrong word entirely in some cases in posts I make and it's frustrating me. In my head I'm thinking the correct words but my fingers are like nah mate and I don't usually notice til someone likes or quotes a post and I'm like "oh ffs".

I've always been a bit of a scatterbrain but this is concerning me a little.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-16-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Yes. Exactly that. I've started looking at early-onset dementia or something, I was getting worried.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    no... it's just that you and I, along with a lot of other people, have experienced a sort of quantum leap... everything's weird now in this world... impossible stuff is real... the Berenstein Bears is spelled wrong... Carrottop is somehow popular... Donald Trump is president...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My boss hasn't paid into my superannuation fund since March 2016.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Woman I went to school with has just said that she's giving her two cats to a shelter after having them for four years because she "doesn't have the time to give them the attention they deserve". Six months ago she had a baby. SEND THE HAIRLESS VERMIN TO THE POUND INSTEAD

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Woman I went to school with has just said that she's giving her two cats to a shelter after having them for four years because she "doesn't have the time to give them the attention they deserve". Six months ago she had a baby. SEND THE HAIRLESS VERMIN TO THE POUND INSTEAD
    A colleague of my ex once scoured the Internet to find a cat killer to get rid of the cat she had for years, because her new boyfriend didn't like pets.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I keep trying to smoke (bad idea, I know), and cigarettes taste like poison to me, which makes me sad.
    I should be grateful! But no.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    A colleague of my ex once scoured the Internet to find a cat killer to get rid of the cat she had for years, because her new boyfriend didn't like pets.
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to need you to elaborate on this story.

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    "If we had a kid who was allergic to cats, we'd make the kid get SHOTS because the cats aren't going anywhere."
    Growing up, I had two cats. We had one for a few years before we got the other one. For some reason, my father developed an allergy to them, and he had to go get shots all the time, because he would have rather done that than to get rid of my cats. <3 <3 <3

I don't ever recall having an issue with them growing up, but now I'm allergic to them, too. And rodents. Cats will just make my eyes swollen, itchy, and if I don't wash my hands right away, I'll get itchy elsewhere. But rodents do all that, make it difficult to breathe, and give me hives everywhere. And I don't even have to be anywhere near them... just in the same space. It's weird how these things develop as I get older, 'cause I had a hamster growing up, and took the rats from science class home on the weekends.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    My book came out this week/last week, and I should be happy, but I'm experiencing the whole thing as a kind of agony.
    Writing it was a traumatic experience, and anything associated with it can fill me with a sense of dread and anxiety. I wonder if this is normal...my previous book I had no such bad experience.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    My book came out this week/last week, and I should be happy, but I'm experiencing the whole thing as a kind of agony.
    Writing it was a traumatic experience, and anything associated with it can fill me with a sense of dread and anxiety. I wonder if this is normal...my previous book I had no such bad experience.
    is it a novel? any more info? i'd like to check it out!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Check your PM

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "SEND THE HAIRLESS VERMIN TO THE POUND INSTEAD"
    So, to make an innocent joke about women, who can defend themselves just fine, will cause shitstorm. And this is OK. Let me think about it... nope, no idea.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    So, to make an innocent joke about women, who can defend themselves just fine, will cause shitstorm. And this is OK. Let me think about it... nope, no idea.
    ....what?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I think anxiety about sharing your work is totally normal. Actually writing being traumatic I would think is not. Why be a writer if it's painful? Why was it traumatic for you?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    All the Facebook images that expire eventually on here.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    That was sarcasm intended as disrespect toward the person who got rid of their pet. It was actually a statement against people who harm or neglect pets, via sarcasm (obvious because there is no "pound" for babies).
    Last edited by allegro; 03-04-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i keep hearing about how most of the country had an unseasonably warm january and february. we got PUMMELED. storm after storm. i wondered if i'd ever see the fucking road again, so much snow. and then floods.

annoying.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Motherfuckers are getting their components in Australia now, meanwhile mine has been sitting somefuckingwhere in saint louis (where I cunting live) for 6 goddamned days in the mail system.

UPDATE: Wife called, its here.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 03-06-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    If I have to go much longer listening to my supervisor talk out his ass about things he doesn't know about, all day, I might actually quit my job.

He talks. SO. MUCH. And it's always about what he knows and thinks and he's always right. He also always says shit like retard and faggot and has anger issues and it NEVER stops. 8 hours a day. The days he's gone and it's JUST me to take care of the entire property are actually better.

He does shit like ask if I know what "frugal" means, and after telling him yes, go on to DEFINE IT AND GIVE ME EXAMPLES LIKE DUDE WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU GO ON WITH YOUR STORY.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 03-07-2017 at 09:17 AM.